wRVU Compensation Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B1GM0N3Y86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just asking around since I have spent the majority of last 2 days while on PTO searching for Median wRVU rates on AMGA/MGMA. Have any of you found any median rates for the Northeast (Pennsylvania) vs Southeast (Georgia, Florida) for newly minted FM docs doing outpatient only?

Have seen a couple offers now with wRVU rates in $38 from $42 in rural regions in PA and did not know if this is expected or on low side.

Appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Just asking around since I have spent the majority of last 2 days while on PTO searching for Median wRVU rates on AMGA/MGM. Have any of you found any median rates for the Northeast (Pennsylvania) vs Southeast (Georgia, Florida) for newly minted FM docs doing outpatient only?

Have seen a couple offers now with wRVU rates in $38 from $42 in rural regions in PA and did not know if this is expected or on low side.

Appreciate any input.

It’s a good rate IMO. We get 38 here

depends what you mean by "low side."
I think even $42 is on the low side.
but relatively speaking, that is pretty good compared to whats out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical student here.

Does one wRUV equal a level 1 code? And you multiple that by 1.5 or whatever for a level 2? Does the mutilpler rate change depending on the state?

Also, does this mean that the employer will pay $X per wRUV, regardless of the patients insurance? That seems weird if you are in a private practice.

Medical student here.

Does one wRUV equal a level 1 code? And you multiple that by 1.5 or whatever for a level 2? Does the mutilpler rate change depending on the state?

Also, does this mean that the employer will pay $X per wRUV, regardless of the patients insurance? That seems weird if you are in a private practice.
No, each CPT code has a wRVU value attached to it. A 99213 is 0.9, 99214 is 1.5. Nationwide standard.

Yes, the values that are posted above are pay per wRVU.

This is rarely used in private practice, its almost exclusively an employed-position set up.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a good rate IMO. We get 38 here

I lied, apparently we get $44; I thought I’d heard 38, but I’m not on production yet so I obviously didn’t commit that to memory. But my “annual compensation update” email says it will be $44 and change in 2019.

Im at $49 to $55 depending on how productive I am. I did not realize how good my numbers were... In Texas.

How hard is it to hit the yearly wRVU average of around 5,200? By how hard, I mean how many half days of work is it taking you a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just asking around since I have spent the majority of last 2 days while on PTO searching for Median wRVU rates on AMGA/MGMA. Have any of you found any median rates for the Northeast (Pennsylvania) vs Southeast (Georgia, Florida) for newly minted FM docs doing outpatient only?

Appreciate any input.
My RVU rate is $54.57. I live in an area of Texas where they try to retain doctors. My minimum RVU's I have to produce a month are 296. I average 550-600 rvu's a month. I have to work 10 days a month but generally pick up 4-5 extra days on my weeks off.

My RVU rate is $54.57. I live in an area of Texas where they try to retain doctors. My minimum RVU's I have to produce a month are 296. I average 550-600 rvu's a month. I have to work 10 days a month but generally pick up 4-5 extra days on my weeks off.
how many patients do you see per shift, on average?

So I'm assuming, you're paid base + rVU? That's a pretty sweet gig.

So I'm assuming, you're paid base + rVU? That's a pretty sweet gig.
Yes, It's kind of weird how they do it here. I have my base pay "frozen" at 220K and then I get my RVU bonus every quarter. If you don't do that, the company projects your future pay based on what you produced the 6 months before. However, the final quarter of each year I tend to work double the shifts so my "projected" based upon that would be $450K or so. So if they pay you ahead based on prior numbers and you don't make that much because census is low, then you have to pay that money back. That happened to me last year because it wasn't really explained so now I do a low base so it's "balanced billing" year round even when census is low and I'm always in the plus.

So I assume that you generate 600+ wRVU's/month during the flu season, and less during regular season?
Yes, Flu season is 600+. The low season if I just work my 10 days/month I barely break the minimum of 296. I try to pick up 3 or 4 shifts a month to ensure I stay above the minimum.