W's on the transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woolfda

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking ahead to try to troubleshoot a potential problem in my future med school application. During the course of completing my degree I attended a school (not where I received my bachelor's). The first semester was fine 4.0, the scond semester my husband received a job transfer to another state, and it was nearly impossible for me to stay with two young children (6 mo. and 2 yr) to complete the semester. It was one week after the drop date when it was finalized that we would move, and I had to drop all of my classes, 16 hours worth. There were three science classes in the mix , Cell and Molecular Biology, Senior Seminar, and Special Topics in Biology. The others were minor specific.

I know that W's are really looked down upon. Is there anything I can do to lessen this negative on my application? Overall, I have a 3.72 GPA and 3.6 science. Thanks again for your help.

woolfda

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's just my opinion, but it seems like your GPA is actually alright. I don't think I would worry to much about it unless it comes up in an interview...and if it does, a simple explanation would probably be sufficient. Did you ever get the chance to redo the equivalent of those classes again? I have some scars on my transcript that I wish were not there, but I was young and very dumb. I have a D and many many W's...two full semesters of withdraws on my belt. If I'm ever asked about them, I'll offer a complete explanation. Good luck to ya.

I think my school's system was different - we had Ws but we also had what we called Q-drops that could be used for any reason and without an explanation but you only had 3 of them. Do you think they would view these the same way as a W?

I only used one - a rock climbing class. Long story - but suffice to say if you have a horrible fear of heights, rock climbing is most likely not the sport for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they don't make too much of a difference...I have like 10 of them on my transcript.

They are in two groupings.

The majority of them arise from the time when I used to be an accounting major, but since I always hated accounting, I could never seem to complete a semester and I withdrew.

The second grouping were during the time I was pre-med in 96-98. I had to drop out because my parents divorced and my mom got very ill, so I had to go back to accounting to support her.

woolfda said:
Looking ahead to try to troubleshoot a potential problem in my future med school application. During the course of completing my degree I attended a school (not where I received my bachelor's). ....

...I know that W's are really looked down upon.
woolfda

Are they looked down upon? Nobody said a word about two on mine - one non-science and one was chemistry. I was accepted!

I've been accepted at 4 great schools so far this year, and I had multiple Ws. Here is the advice I received from advisors AND from the dean of admissions at a top ten school (I was there for a summer program):

-You absolutely should explain it (I would assume this is more true for whole semesters or multiple different W's).
-If you don't explain it in your primary AMCAS essay (and it really may not be the best use of your primary essay), be sure to explain it succinctly in your secondaries.
-If appropriate, you can use the space regarding disadvantaged on the AMCAS to explain it.
-Be prepared to re-discuss it in your interviews.
-It IS an issue, so don't do it again!

One issue that came up for me (I had one whole semester when I was working full time, got promoted, and had to drop all classes - and the advisor at the school I was attending said W's were not a big deal, so wrong) was how to write the explanation without making myself look EVEN worse. Woolfda, your explanation that you had to move is fine, in my opinion, but don't mention not knowing/missing the drop deadline. The fact is you were handling all sort of responsibilities at the time, and the fact that you had to move is why you have the W's. To be honest, I don't think the type of class matters (eg, sciences) they don't think that you took a W just to avoid a bad grade.

You have great grades and you are thinking ahead! You are going to succeed!

Cheerful,

Your post was really an inspiration. This matter has really been troubling me, but I am glad to hear from someone who has been in this same situation and has overcome! I can breathe a little easier now!

woolfda

woolfda said:
Cheerful,

Your post was really an inspiration. This matter has really been troubling me, but I am glad to hear from someone who has been in this same situation and has overcome! I can breathe a little easier now!

woolfda

Best wishes! You are really doing a good job planning for things in advance, and that will definitely pay off!

Anastasis said:
I only used one - a rock climbing class. Long story - but suffice to say if you have a horrible fear of heights, rock climbing is most likely not the sport for you.

:laugh: This seems like sounds advice. And a great way to explain a drop (or a Q). Thanks for giving me a laugh!