WVSOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the packet... excellent reading, I must say. Which anatomy atlas are you guys going to get? I have the new Netter's, and the 6th edition of Grant (1972-- thank's for the hand-me-down dad!). Anyone done their CPR training yet? Or get a physical? This is becoming my online to-do list... back to obsessively studying the greater trochanter of the femur

-Pete

Members don't see this ad.

hey pete~

I'm online and bored right now...

I've been wondering which atlas to go with...Netter's or Rohen's. I'm actually considering both :oops: . I love reference books!!

I'm a certified EMT, although my CPR (actually, it's the healthcare provider-all-in-one deal) expired last month! I have to attend the 8hr re-cert class this Thursday...and, I had my physical already ($489.00 already...and I still have to get the last hep shot!).

Is your dad a dr? And why are you obsessively studying the greater trochanter of the femur at this hour, hmmmmm?? You must be as bored as I am.....

~mich

dowiattp said:
Just got the packet... excellent reading, I must say. Which anatomy atlas are you guys going to get? I have the new Netter's, and the 6th edition of Grant (1972-- thank's for the hand-me-down dad!). Anyone done their CPR training yet? Or get a physical? This is becoming my online to-do list... back to obsessively studying the greater trochanter of the femur

-Pete

I bought Rohen's and borrowed Netter's. If I had to do it again, I would buy Netter's since I studied with it the most. Get to Anatomy lab early the first day so you can grab the atlas of your choice for your table. We just organized those a few days ago and there aren't enough Netter's to go around. Pete, you can't get a physical online. Better get those shots too so you won't have to take time to do it during school.

Members don't see this ad :)
michDO'08 said:
I had my physical already ($489.00 already...and I still have to get the last hep shot!).
~mich

Woah Momma! That is pricey. We have our physicals set for next week. If you don't mind me asking, what was so pricey, is it the shots? Things are pretty tight right now so we're goofy stressed, but still trying to get everything done.
Thanks for the rec about Stiff...I will definitely try and read it before school starts.
BTW, Lesli and I did a graduate BioMedical Sciences program and Netter's was our lifesaver. I think I fell asleep holding it once. :love:

Haha the greater trochanter just might be my favorite anatomical feature.... I'm totally a late night person and usually don't get to sleep before 2 or 3, so I was looking over my old anatomy stuff. If anything I'm obsessed with not failing.... Oh my dad is a dentist, he tends not to have much interest in the greater trochanter...

Pete,

Just think, if you were getting ready for dental school, all you would have to worry about was making sure you brush and floss daily. Might want to read ahead on mouthwash also. :laugh: :laugh:

Hey guys~

It's been a few days since I last posted.

Saffron...The shots were expensive, plus the fact that I don't have insurance and had to pay for several different visits in order to get them all done!

It seems like everyone likes Netter better - :rolleyes: - so I think that's what I'll go with. Anyone have any suggestions on board review books? rchrest1? Did you use any of them much during your first year? I've seen posts that suggest using them during yrs 1 and 2 in order to familiarize yourself with them for studying for step 1.

I hope everyone is enjoying their last days of freedom before the $hit hits the fan!

~Michelle

michelle...thanks for the advice, i'm new to this forum.

did anyone buy a laptop yet and if so can you share the details? also, is anyone familiar with the North Court St Apartments @ 300 North Court St?

Thanks!

boc08 said:
michelle...thanks for the advice, i'm new to this forum.

did anyone buy a laptop yet and if so can you share the details? also, is anyone familiar with the North Court St Apartments @ 300 North Court St?

Thanks!

NOTEBOOKS

I already had a notebook before I learned I had to buy one. My class (2007) was the first class required to have notebooks before the 3rd year. However, the curriculum didn't change from the class of 2006. There are still people in my class who have not purchased one, and others who never use theirs. Ethernet connections are at every desk in the classroom.... which are good for killing time during class... nothing else as far as academics. If you have a desktop computer it is very possible to put off the notebook thing for a couple years.

BOARD REVIEW BOOKS

I did purchase board review books instead of the recommended texts (Board Review Series). They provide a good summary which is sufficient for many exams the first year. MS II... The plan is to follow along in Step Up and First Aid so that by the end of the year I will be familiar with them in my comlex preparation.

DIAGNOSTIC KITS

I plan on putting together a page on my website outlining the best equipment at the best prices. The bookstore gives you a price list right before a block week so that you have to turn it in without having time to shop around. The Welch Allyn kits are cheaper online, plus you don't have to pay 6% sales tax on $800 worth of equipment. And, according to Welch Allyn ... but contrary to the bookstore personalities, the warranty IS valid on kits purchased on websites such as steeles.com, etc.

REST

Get your rest now, folks! Visit the friends and fam!!!

:sleep: :sleep:

Hey WVSOMers,

I just wanted to check in on everyone. I ended up not having my physical last week because I was really sick. They wouldn't even draw my titers :(

Anyway I only need my Hep B and chicken pox titer and I'm done :) :)

I'm currently in Virginia Beach, Va. I came to watch my younger cousin graduate from high school 8) Sometime soon I need to get my lil arse up there and find a place to live. If I wait too long, it'll be Richie meets "Green Acres!" ("da da da da daaa DA DA"!) :laugh:

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
Sometime soon I need to get my lil arse up there and find a place to live. If I wait too long, it'll be Richie meets "Green Acres!" ("da da da da daaa DA DA"!) :laugh:

-Richie

Might want to give it a look sometime soon. At this point you'll probably find nice places with no a/c and $350 / mo heating bills. :eek: As my hero Larry the Cable Guy would say. "GIT-R-DONE." You could always just live with J.H.

Yikes :(

I'm sure there will be plenty of 600+/month houses though. I'll probably have to shell out the bling bling :laugh:

Come on Phil Mickelson, win that U.S. Open! :clap:

-Richie

Can 3rd and 4th year WVSOM students do rotations anywhere in the country or do they have to stay in WV?

Members don't see this ad :)
it seemed pretty tough to get the info on where rotations were. i did some digging, and it seems like the rotation requirements are somewhat stringent- a majority of them are required, and must be done at wvsome approved sites. it's been a little while since i've read it, but here is the handbook:

http://www.wvsom.edu/ClinEd/TrainingManual.pdf

hope this helps!

--pete

Hey Guys,

I have posted here a couple times to answer questions. For those of you who don't remember I am a recent graduate of WVSOM.

As for Rotations, during our exit interviews with the Dean we asked if the freedom to go anywhere was going to be lost with the new statewide campus program. We were told it would not. Only your required sites would be done at the statewide campus site. As of now the required months are not that many. In the third year you have 1 month of Peds, Surgery, Geriatrics, Psychiatry and 2 months of IM. the rest you can go where ever you want.

For me I lived in Lewisburg for two years and then moved to Hurricane Which is thirty minutes outside of charleston and did all my rotations from there.

If you guys have any more questions let me know, I was involved with organizing Smart Start my year and learned allot about the pollicies and answers to the questions you guys are worried about.

I start my internship on Friday and don't know how oftten I will check the website but feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Later,

Dr. Mike

So I had my medical school physical today. I'm healthy, well-toned, blah blah blah, gotta lose 15 lbs, blood pressure normal, vision great, blah blah blah.

Well anyway I was supposed to have my first Hep B shot today when lo-and-behold, Dr. Rhyne announces that I've had both the Hep B vaccine and my 2nd MMR. So they drew 4 tubes of blood (took 2 sticks,grrrr) for my titers to prove immunity to everything. I hope they all come back with good results cause to get off by only having to pay 15 bucks for the visit would be awesome. :) She said that having Hep B is like a requirement for most colleges since 1995, so check up on that and be sure ;)

House wise I got some leads on a couple of places and will be up there to scope things out soon. I've also heard some murmurs regarding the 3rd and 4th year rotations having to be done at specific places. Looks like Dr. Mike has answered that for us though. :) Thanks bud!

Ok, just wanted to post an update and see how everyone is doing!

Chillin like a villian 8)
-Richie

have my physical tomorrow... have a feeling i'll be told the same thing as you Richie (drop the frosh 15). Visited some friends in c-town over the weekend, and one of them just got back from prauge. he brought back a bottle of absythe, so i'm hoping the wormwood doesn't show up in my ua. haha. i've been laying off the heroin, so my veins might be in decent shape for the titers.

good to see the rotation stuff is cleared up. i noticed the wvsom website now has a new page with lots of info on 3rd/4th year. it turnst out you get 3 mos. of elective/selectives 3rd year and 5 mos. during 4th year-- not too bad. i just hope i can get some cool stuff set up in time.

this is my last week at home, then im off on a crazy travel schedule before i move on the 23rd... see you all soon!

-pete

Here are the books I recommend. You can easily get away with maybe 4 of these, but the review books helped me a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...WBQ/ref=cm_aya_av.lm_more/103-4125988-2935043

Let me know if you have any questions. And by the way... when you start class and a doc tells you a book is required.... and it's not on my list... don't worry about it. As previously stated, exams are from the notes.

so i went to my doc yesterday to have my physical etc etc. all my immunizations are up to date, but when i asked about having titers drawn to show immunity, i was told there was no need to have them done. anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
--pete

dowiattp said:
so i went to my doc yesterday to have my physical etc etc. all my immunizations are up to date, but when i asked about having titers drawn to show immunity, i was told there was no need to have them done. anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
--pete

You have to have them. Email Jane Byrant [email protected] . She is the nurse in charge of keeping track of titers, etc. You have plenty of time to get them once you get here. Just drop by the clinic one afternoon... it only takes a few minutes.

*whips out the bumping stick and smacks the WVSOM thread back to the top of the forum*

Hiiiii Everrrrybodyyy!! *In his best "Dr. Nick" voice*

Well I'm making a trip up to the burg to sign a lease tomorrow on a new place. (Got an apartment *sniff sniff*) Threw the cash down so I just need to sign the paperwork and swing by the office and deliver my health form to Jane. Which reminds me, I haven't gotten my titer results back yet... hmmm
better call em back.

Anyway, I am gonna get up there and maybe play a round of golf at the elks club. Is anyone else gonna be in town while I am there? :)

-Richie

Richie-
Wasn't there a huge waitlist for apartments there? Congrats on snagging one! When are you moving down? I'm on Vacation for the next few weeks and plan to move a few days after I get back, likely the weekend of the 23rd. I'm undecided on whether out not I'll stay for the week before classes-- I know everyone says I'll need that week, but I can't possibly think of enough things to have to do for a full 10 days. We'll see... When is everyone else moving? Later
Pete

Wasn't there a huge waitlist for apartments there?

Just call me "Lord of the Bling" LOL :) The apartment needs some work though so they are going to replace the carpet and paint the walls and repair the water damage under the sink before I move in. I'll be moving in the week of the 25th ( offical move in date is the 20th, but I will be in Alabama attending my best friend's wedding).

The golF course! Holy smokes, you can get a student year-round membership for 350 bucks!! I am so going for that ;) It's a very very nice course and I haven't found a better one (other than the Greenbriar of couse) in a 75 mile radius.

I'm gonna get off my butt and post some pics later on for ya, I've just been slack ;)

-Richie

Ok, as promised, here are pictures of the new apartment (unfurnished and without all the repair work promised):

The Kitchen
apt1.jpg

Outside the Front porch
apt2.jpg

The Living Area
apt4.jpg

The Back Porch
apt5.jpg

The really small bathroom!
apt7.jpg

The master bedroom upstairs
apt6.jpg

And the golf course which is really nice: The Lewisburg Elk's Country Club. It's 1 mile from the school on the other side of the I-64 overpass.

Scenic View from the 14th tee by the Road. A great par 5.
golf1.jpg

Hey Fatty! Lose that Freshman 15! (that's me by the way lol)
golf2.jpg

#6 fairway, it's very hilly so makes for some interesting shots.
golf3.jpg

#13 is another great hole, hit your tee shot 200 yards out on the left and the ball kicks down the hill into the fairway.
golf4.jpg

The par 3 #11. A good 180yd knock with a 3-iron to an elevated green.
golf5.jpg

I shot 89 my first time out there. I was most pleased with the course! Assuming we have free time :rolleyes: Are there any golfers at WVSOM who will play with me? hehehe :thumbup: :D

-Richie

CLEAN YOUR TOILET, SKANK. :laugh:

ROFL I'm not touching anything in that apartment until they come in and paint the walls and replace the carpet and fix the water damage :p

But yes I agree, the former tenants had a skanky lookin bathroom! ROFL

Can you say Lysol? :p

*smacks the thread to the top with the bumping stick*

Come on, there's gotta be more WVSOMers out there who can post ;P

Interesting fact: I'm the only classmate from North Carolina this year! Found that out when I went up there to sign my lease hehe.

Richie Truxillo said:
from North Carolina

No one is perfect, I guess. :p We just put the SBL cadavers in the tables today. There are a few interesting, some challenging dissections awaiting you!!

Richie: Is that some sort of litter box on your back porch?

Considering that there was pet food all over the carpet when I walked in, I would assume it is a ghetto litter box. :(

I did get a call from Jade earlier today though. He said they are putting new carpet in my apartment as I type this. Makes me feel a smidgen better about the entire ordeal. :)

No one is perfect, I guess.

I am far from perfect but I seem to fit in very well in Lewisburg with my southern accent as evidenced by my trip to the golf course. Though I did get "Boy, ya ain't from around here I'z never seen yaz 'round here before. You goin' 'ta that doctor school over 'yonder?" :laugh: I couldn't help but grin hehe.

Ok I need to go, the office is having a birthday lunch for our office manager andd myself ( mine is actually tomorrow but I'm taking the day off to get new tires on my teg ).

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
new tires on my teg.

-Richie

August: they're tires
January: they're skates

Man, it's boring around here.

Hey...I guess everyone is settling in. It's the last two weeks before school (smart-start)! Just starting on med term. Lesli and I are up the hill from Pete and Richie. We rented a house in the neighborhood up there. We are actually doing some work study at the school for these last two weeks. We figured we'd fill in some spare time and make a little extra $. We are usually in the Financial Aid office if anyone wants to stop by and say hey. If not...see you guys soon enough!
~DeanAnn/ or Dean-whichever (saffron304)

and once I get settled in I'll get in touch with you, signed for my loan today so gotta mail that stuff back tomorrow. Glad ya reminded me hehe

-Richie

hey everyone... just back in the country, what a crazy few weeks this has been. of course no time to spare, gotta pack tomorrow and move all my stuff friday. i think im going to come back home after moving on saturday and stay in the nasty nati a few more days so i can see some people before i go. ill probably make the permanent move next wednesday. are you guys completely overwhelmed by all the mail theyve thrown at us? i got back and had like 8 letters. at least a lot of them are invitations to functions/receptions (good to know our school is nice to us), though im having a hard time keeping them all straight. good luck to everyone moving, and see you all soon. oh and when i get my new phone you can pm me for the number...
pete

Hey everyone, anyone interested in seeing "The Complete History of America (Abridged)" at the Greenbrier Valley Theater Firday night (closing night)? It's a pretty funny production, assuming the quality of this theater is decent, which I hear it is. Apparently you can get cheap student tickets (like 7 bucks I think) an hour before the show. Send me a PM and we can figure something out.

--Pete

This is a question for the students that took the med term exam last year. I got a copy of the 2000 med term exam and it seemed pretty easy. I was wondering how the 2000 exam compares to the one they gave last year. Is it the same format with matching in blocks of 5? I also noticed that there were no osteopathic specific terms on that test. Are the osteopathic terms separate or were they not assigned in 2000. The last question I had is when do we take this test? I am not worried about it but I just don't want any suprises in case I do not finish studying before classes start. See everybody in less than a week.

biss506 said:
This is a question for the students that took the med term exam last year. I got a copy of the 2000 med term exam and it seemed pretty easy. I was wondering how the 2000 exam compares to the one they gave last year. Is it the same format with matching in blocks of 5? I also noticed that there were no osteopathic specific terms on that test. Are the osteopathic terms separate or were they not assigned in 2000. The last question I had is when do we take this test? I am not worried about it but I just don't want any suprises in case I do not finish studying before classes start. See everybody in less than a week.

Make sure you look at the osteo terms ! The format last year was pretty much the same as the one I posted on my website (2000). Many consider the exam common sense, as most of the class will score close to 100% on it. However, I missed a couple of the osteo terms. Spend some time on them. We covered almost 60 credit hours in the first year and med term was, I think, 0.25 hr. The exam is after smart start.

I have come to the conclusion that I am the only person who is not attending Smart Start hehe ;) I'll definately drop by the picnic on Wednesday though so I can meet everyone from my class! I just have a ton to get done here including school paperwork! Apartment is all setup now except for cable and moving some empty boxes ;)

-Richie

Haven't been on in a while...just thought I would peak in since today was Smart-Start and all. It was pretty awesome. The staff seems to have really worked hard to make this a good one. Hope all enjoyed it. I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Richie-you should still come by if you get a chance...I'm sure they wouldn't care, even if you didn't sign up! If not...good luck getting things together and we'll see ya soon.
~DeanAnn

I'll be by tomorrow for sure. I have a ton of paperwork to dish out to all of the employees like health forms, insurance forms and a ton of other stuff :p

By the way, I met Pete, he's really cool. Hopefully we can all get together this week before the poo hits the fan on Monday! Ok time to goto sleep, I'm so sick of moving boxes!

-Richie

I stopped by today to check around and everyone was going on a tour of the school. I got my health forms in and stuff so that's all good. In addition, I went by the bookstore, got fitted for my white coat and talked with Cindi for a lil bit. I'll probably meet everyone at the little bank picnic tomorrow. Just gotta hunt me down a nametag or something :p

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
Hopefully we can all get together this week before the poo hits the fan on Monday!
-Richie

That's what everyone's been doing since Monday!! Get with the program!!

seriously richie! haha just kidding. i have to say we have a great class and the 2nd years have been great- thanks to brett for throwing the party tonight. looking forward to meeting everyone else, maybe ill see you all at the picnic(s) tomorrow... rob watch out- i might not have the guns, , but i will own the paint (seriously though thats just my lame attempt to get you out of the weight room more and on to the court, let me know how it works). see you all soon....

--pete

I've got plenty of game as long as I don't have to dribble... or pass... or shoot for that matter. Intramurals should be pretty fun... you guys are good at b-ball and a cool class from what I've seen so far. Richie: good move getting your apt finished before class starts, you'll be glad you did. You all enjoy the weekend before they unleash the dogs on you. :D

dowiattp said:
seriously richie! haha just kidding. i have to say we have a great class and the 2nd years have been great- thanks to brett for throwing the party tonight. looking forward to meeting everyone else, maybe ill see you all at the picnic(s) tomorrow... rob watch out- i might not have the guns, , but i will own the paint (seriously though thats just my lame attempt to get you out of the weight room more and on to the court, let me know how it works). see you all soon....

--pete

Pete I got your call this morning hehe I conked out around 11:30 or so last night after hanging blinds and some shades in my bedroom (nothing is worse than the West Virginia sun blinding you awake at 6:30am every morning) LOL. ;) I suck at B-ball due to my height but I'll play some with ya. I gotta get back to the gym more though.

Heading to the picnic now, see ya'll there!

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
I suck at B-ball due to my height but I'll play some with ya.
-Richie

At least you have an excuse. I'm 6'4" and suck.

rchrest1 said:
At least you have an excuse. I'm 6'4" and suck.

right right, that's why you kept draining jumpers over me all day yesterday.....