WVSOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EMTLizzy said:
It's getting closer!

Two weeks until I move. Wow, it's coming fast. Anyone getting sad? I'm excited to be starting school, but sad to be leaving my home. :(

And what were they thinking giving us reading to do before school when Harry Potter came out this weekend? Osteology is just going to have to wait.

I hear ya on HaRrY PoTteR!! I have read all the books, and was so excited for this one to come out. I am also getting sad, and ready, and nervous, and worried, and excited....just about anything, I'm probably feeling it! I'm most excited to meet everyone who's been on SDN and everyone else in our class. It's going to be fun, hard, and memorable I'm sure!!!!
Janice

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received the invitations to send to family about the white coat ceremony?

bianc0001 said:
Has anyone received the invitations to send to family about the white coat ceremony?

I haven't yet. I wonder if they give them to us when we get to school, and we send them from there? Maybe...who knows!

Members don't see this ad :)
JRiCe09 said:
I haven't yet. I wonder if they give them to us when we get to school, and we send them from there? Maybe...who knows!

Wow that seems like so long ago... If I remember right you get them at school, address them, give them back, and the school mails them for you (one of the few things the school does for free). Enjoy over-paying for less than fantastic white coats...

Pete

ps- the beach will seem like the most exciting thing to ever happen to you after 4 months of school.

Everyone get the latest package of goodies? Including the Lewisburg Welcome Wagon info and the SOMA survival guide.

I really enjoyed reading that, actually.

Anyone know when rotations start for 3rd years, or if there's a flexible window of time there for a few weeks. I'm getting married June 15th 2007 and don't want to leave the groom standing at the altar because I'm away on my first rotation.

How is everyone doing with the osteology reading?

I already got a chance to move into town and my duplex before the start of a family vacation to PA from Texas. The town is even nicer than I remember. If you are with family or want to get something to eat for yourself, the best restaurant in town is Food and Friends, which is downtown, I think on Jefferson street. My Dad had the best fettucini of his life, and considering we're a family of wops, that's saying something.

Can't wait to meet everyone. We should all get together for food/drinks/conversation when everyone gets into town...August 2nd maybe?

-Bill Brasky
"First Friend of Brasky: Brasky ranked 18th.. in the AP College Football Poll..

Third Friend of Brasky: [ thrusting glass in the air ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!

Woman (Ana Gasteyer): [ walking up ] Excuse me, do you know where the payphone is?

Third Friend of Brasky: Piss off, sister! And get us some pretzels!

First Friend of Brasky: [ waving her off ] Yeah!

Woman: You guys smell awful. [ walks off ]"

Bill_Brasky said:
Can't wait to meet everyone. We should all get together for food/drinks/conversation when everyone gets into town...August 2nd maybe?

I was just about to post the same thing, but was going to suggest later in the week. I'm only moving in on the 2nd and will still be knee deep in boxes.

Maybe later in the week? Friday is the Relay for Life, I think, so some people may be doing that. How about Thursday August 4th?

Food and Friends is a great place. How about there? There's items of all different price ranges for the budget conscious. And the food is great.

When I went it was crowded, so we may need a reservation. That would require at least an approximate head count.

Okay, we can finalize a time later in the week, but how about anyone who can come email me at [email protected] and I'll keep a running head count.

Tell me which day is good for you and what time and your real name so I'm not calling people Squeezie or whatnot.

Bill, didn't mean to steal your party :D You can coordinate instead if you want :oops:

-Elizabeth

One more thing.... if you've already moved in or will be moving in next week and find other 2009-ers where you live who can come...add them to the list too. Not everyone is on SDN and we don't want to be known as the computer weirdos who hung out before school started.

For future reference my real name IS Megalofyia. ;)

Rotations begin July 1st- this is New Years Day of the medical world (new med students, interns, residents, and fellows all start officially on this day). June 15th is pretty safe. It seems like a far way off but it is never to early to give consideration to these two very important years. Learn as much as you can as early as possible so that the transition is a smooth one.

I have to disagree that Food and Friends is the best restaurant in Lewisburg. Actually I put it towards the bottom of my list- the service is notoriously slow, the food mediocre (most of their menu is stuff I can make at home), and the prices a bit high for the quality of food you are getting. I would suggest the Tavern as a far superior restaurant, though for lunch only (dinner there is nothing to get excited over. And their sushi is probably the worst I've ever had). Julian's is by far the best restaurant in Greenbrier County if not SE WV. It's the best food you can get within an hour of Lewisburg and the service is excellent. Although it is on the pricier side, it honestly is not that much more. I also suggest the Harvest Market Grille in Fairlea (on the N 219 side, across from the fairground). Their sandwhiches and wraps are excellent, and entrees are not bad either. Very reasonable too. Don't forget about the General Lewis Inn, either. They have great food for any meal. And for those of you that are nocturnal, you will find Granny's to be a godsend.

We might be putting together a restaurant/bar crawl for that first weekend and it will no doubt include all of these restaurants. I'll keep you guys posted.

Pete

We might be putting together a restaurant/bar crawl for that first weekend and it will no doubt include all of these restaurants. I'll keep you guys posted.

That would be nice!!!!! Lots of fun...woowhoo!

I saw in some of the info given out by the school that scrubs are one of the recommended clothing options for anatomy lab.

It sounds like a good idea to me since we won't have our "real" clothes made all stinky.

I found a web site with some inexpensive scrubs. Do we have lab 5 days a week?

Jasco Nursing Uniforms

Found a better deal $9.99 for the set.

All Heart

These are a poly blend. I think the others are a softer material, but more expensive.

Hey All!
Some of the second yrs are going white water rafting Sun the 14th. If anyone is interested you can e-mail Sarah, my roomie, at [email protected]. It sounds like fun! Just wanted to pass the news along.
Janice

Finally got down here today, but can't move into my place until my furniture is delivered on Tuesday. Staying at the Hampton Inn for two nights while I move in.

So, I was thinking Thursday night at 6:30pm for dinner. I'll make a reservation at Food and Friends, unless someone has an objection.

I still have those of you who responded to me by email on my "list". I'll send out an email for a final head count. Let me know if you found any more non SDNers to come!

For my other fellow SBL-ers who reserved a seat for themselves already, the reserved seats have been removed. Apprently, we're not allowed to do that until next week. There's a note on the board about it.