WVSOM Discussion Thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was wondering if anybody knows how hard it is to obtain residency in West Virginia. I am interviewing at WVSOM end of September and would like some info before I go. Thanks.

If you're going to move to West Virginia specifically to go to WVSOM, I think it's next to impossible to obtain residency there. You'll be paying out-of-state tuition for all four years. This is pretty much the same for most schools all over the country. I researched this considerably last year and the only school that allowed students to obtain residency simply by moving to the state for school was UMDNJ.

I think there are very certain exceptions to this rule, though. You might be able to swing it if your parents and/or spouse is already a resident of that state. You can check for sure on all of the schools' websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're accepted as an out-of-stater, you stay one and pay tuition as one until you graduate. I think the only way to become a resident once accepted is to marry a West Virginian.

Know any cute girls from West Virginia?:)

Hi guys,
I'm interviewing at WVSOM next week. The email told me that I have to be there at 10:15, which I'm assuming means I have an afternoon interview. Now, I've heard from somewhere that if you're not interviewing in the morning that you can go sit in on a class or something- is that the case? And how do you go about doing that? Are there other morning activities for the afternoon folks? I couldn't find anything on the schedule. Thanks all.

Best of luck with any remaining interviews! And congratuations on any acceptances so far.

I am a PBL student at WVSOM. We meet from 8 am to 10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If one of these is your day and you are interested in PBL than you could sit in on one of our sessions.

I was the first to interview and after I came out of it at like 8:50, one of the admissions people asked me if I would like to sit in on a lecture since nothing was happening scheudule wise until 10:30, so I said that I would love to. (highly advisable).

Hi guys,
I'm interviewing at WVSOM next week. The email told me that I have to be there at 10:15, which I'm assuming means I have an afternoon interview. Now, I've heard from somewhere that if you're not interviewing in the morning that you can go sit in on a class or something- is that the case? And how do you go about doing that? Are there other morning activities for the afternoon folks? I couldn't find anything on the schedule. Thanks all.

Best of luck with any remaining interviews! And congratuations on any acceptances so far.

I am a second year SBL student.

You can come sit next to me.

I have a fish tank on my desk and sit in the front row.:laugh:

So, I guess it's true that students can put personal items on their desk? I thought that I did hear that somewhere. And SBL is what I'm leaning towards right now- I'm a lecture kind of guy, but am kind of interested to see how PBL works too.

I'll shoot an email over to the Admissions Office to see if they are ok with me visiting a class... I figured I should probably ask them before I start wandering aimlessly around campus and take a seat somewhere! Thanks everyone.

I am a second year SBL student.

You can come sit next to me.

I have a fish tank on my desk and sit in the front row.:laugh:
I already indicated that I would go the SBL route. Maybe I'll take you up on that seat october 10...if it's ok.

This is true about WVSOM..marry a West Virginian or pay them all your money. I will say that I do like it here today..and I'm still saying that after round two of exams! :D

At the risk of sounding stupid, is the OOS tuition for WVSOM 47K per year or per semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked with admissions, and they said it would be fine if I sit in on a lecture. So perhaps I'll see some of you guys around. I'll be the person you don't recognize wearing the suit.

I was wondering how long it took for you to receive an e-mail after having your application complete? The website tells me "decision pending." I'm curious when all of you were complete. Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Punchap

Let's see...
It took one month from the date my AACOMAS was verified to find out about an interview. I had it in the beginning of July and heard the beginning of August.

Do i need a LOR from a DO or will an MD work for WVSOM? I got an interview invite and I need to send my supp application but I cant find anywhere on the application if they want a DO or either.

Thanks.

Peter P

Though I cannot remember where I found the information, I have written down that they would like a DO letter. I think their website is a little tricky to find information on!!

When's your interview by the way??

I think either one is fine, but the DO letter is preferred. But don't quote me- I'm sure it's somewhere on the site.

Good luck!

Hey I found this on their site. It was under the 'how to apply' link.

"Two (2) Evaluation letters: one from an osteopathic physician (DO) and one from a Pre-med advisor or Pre-med advisory committee or approved science faculty member, via mail on college or business letterhead. Virtual evaluations are also accepted."

How long did it take for them to notify you about the interview after you became complete there?

good luck

Hey I found this on their site. It was under the 'how to apply' link.

"Two (2) Evaluation letters: one from an osteopathic physician (DO) and one from a Pre-med advisor or Pre-med advisory committee or approved science faculty member, via mail on college or business letterhead. Virtual evaluations are also accepted."

How long did it take for them to notify you about the interview after you became complete there?

good luck

lol. im not really complete with them. I haven't sent my supplemental, was not going to because I had seen that they needed a DO and I only had an MD. I may try contacting them and see what they say.

lol. im not really complete with them. I haven't sent my supplemental, was not going to because I had seen that they needed a DO and I only had an MD. I may try contacting them and see what they say.

I meant your AACOMAS application.

How much does a typical OOS medical student take out in loans at WVSOM (including tuition, living expenses, etc)?

My uncle lives in WV, so am particularly interested in going there. Will I qualify for in-state if I have relative who lives in the area?

How much does a typical OOS medical student take out in loans at WVSOM (including tuition, living expenses, etc)?

My uncle lives in WV, so am particularly interested in going there. Will I qualify for in-state if I have relative who lives in the area?

I have a similar question.

My father has been working full-time in the state as a physician for the past few years. However, he does not claim residency in the state. If he were to do so pending an acceptance, would it be possible to get in-state tuition?

Do i need a LOR from a DO or will an MD work for WVSOM? I got an interview invite and I need to send my supp application but I cant find anywhere on the application if they want a DO or either.

Thanks.

Peter P

A letter from a DO is recommended b/c it shows that you do have a real interest in practicing as a DO and not just another physician. With that being said you can have a recommendation letter from a MD and that will suffice. If asked about it in an interview just simply state that you tried and couldn't find one that was available to shadow.

I have a similar question.

My father has been working full-time in the state as a physician for the past few years. However, he does not claim residency in the state. If he were to do so pending an acceptance, would it be possible to get in-state tuition?

It all comes down to whether your father owns a home in WV. If he does and applies for residence then it is with great possibility that you too would be able to claim yourself as a WV resident. However another factor that may play a role is that you are over the age of 18 and therefore are considered an adult; this may hinder you from claiming residence just b/c your father is a resident (that is if he becomes one). If the latter is the case then it is not possible unless you live here for a year and then reapply to WVSOM next year; which i don't think you want to do.:D

It all comes down to whether your father owns a home in WV. If he does and applies for residence then it is with great possibility that you too would be able to claim yourself as a WV resident. However another factor that may play a role is that you are over the age of 18 and therefore are considered an adult; this may hinder you from claiming residence just b/c your father is a resident (that is if he becomes one). If the latter is the case then it is not possible unless you live here for a year and then reapply to WVSOM next year; which i don't think you want to do.:D

Hmm...so let's say I get accepted in Nov, and then he buys a house there in Dec. Can I then claim residency there?

WV DMV rules - if you have a relative with a permanent address in WV, you may be able to claim residency if you live with them even though you don't have any of the residency documents. If your father goes with you to the DMV and presents his documents (voter's registration, utility bills, car insurance, etc.) with the permanent address on them, he signs a paper claiming you live with him and you show your ID and birth certificate and you're in. I'm from WV and when I moved back to the state and into my parents' house, this is how I went about it. I had no proof of WV residency (and had changed to an OOS license) since I'd just come back, so my parents just signed for me, and now I'm a resident again.

Just a quick question, but how long does it take WVSOM to send the secondary? Ive told AACOMAS to send them my application a while ago. And is it internet based or paper based?

First they send you an email confirmation that gives you a username and password to check the status of your app on their website. Then, if they select you for interview, they will send you another email that gives a link to the secondary app. If I remember correctly, you print and mail them the app. I submitted my primary application in late july and received notice of interview on 9/24.

i emailed one of the recruiters i met a few weeks ago at my school and he said right now my application will be reviewed in 2-3 weeks, i was verified and mailed 9/12. he said right now they're in the THICK of everything now, so they're playing catch up.

A letter from a DO is recommended b/c it shows that you do have a real interest in practicing as a DO and not just another physician. With that being said you can have a recommendation letter from a MD and that will suffice. If asked about it in an interview just simply state that you tried and couldn't find one that was available to shadow.

I'm curious where you're getting the info that a letter from an MD will suffice. The DO letter is a rather time-honored and universal component of the admissions process to osteopathic schools. I would very strongly encourage anyone to get that as part of their application if at all possible.

I'm curious where you're getting the info that a letter from an MD will suffice. The DO letter is a rather time-honored and universal component of the admissions process to osteopathic schools. I would very strongly encourage anyone to get that as part of their application if at all possible.

Don't get me wrong I too agree that a DO letter is important and do encourage an individual to seek out a DO for a recommendation; however I had trouble getting a letter from a DO due to the shortage in my area at the time. I spoke with our admission's committee and they said they would except a letter from a MD. I did in the end get one from a DO that had a shadow opportunity open up.

AS ALWAYS IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE!!!! DON'T RELAY ON SECOND HAND INFORMATION NO MATTER HOW CREDITABLE OR RECENT THE INFO SEEMS TO BE. YOU DON'T WANT FIND OUT LATER THAT YOU DIDN'T GET INTO A SCHOOL FOR SOMETHING YOU COULD HAVE EASILY DONE!!!!

Admissions lady sounds hot... :D

ha ha. She is the nicest lady in the entire world and hugged everyone at the end of the interview day. Everyone at WVSOM, including the students, are the happiest and friendliest I've met anywhere. And I love the area. WVSOM has moved to the top of my list. :thumbup:

ha ha. She is the nicest lady in the entire world and hugged everyone at the end of the interview day. Everyone at WVSOM, including the students, are the happiest and friendliest I've met anywhere. And I love the area. WVSOM has moved to the top of my list. :thumbup:

She does seem real nice, I called today to ask a question and she actually remembered who I was because I had called once earlier. They definitely moved fast with my application, I was complete there on October 10th and received and invite on 10/18. Thank you Angie Bowyer, for pushing my application through quickly... :D

Hello

Does anyone know whats the best way to get there from the west coast? Which airport to use? Maybe Wash DC or Pittsburg or Morgantown.

Hello

Does anyone know whats the best way to get there from the west coast? Which airport to use? Maybe Wash DC or Pittsburg or Morgantown.

Charleston, WV is a good bet, straight shot to lewisburg on I64 (1.5 - 2 hrs)

or

Roanoke, VA (1.5 hr drive)

4 1/2 hr drive from pittsburgh

3-3 1/2 from morgantown

So if I bought a house in West Virginia and changed my driver's license, maybe started working...would I be able to in state tuition? I know I should just ask the financial aid office at wvsom, which I will, but I was just curious if anyone had any insight on this question.

Also to Shadowclaws, I would fly to charleston and drive, the flight into lewisburg is on a tiny prop plane, that day there was a big storm which almost brought the plane down :), at least I thought it was. I didn't think I was even going to get a chance to interview. Maybe check the weather.

So if I bought a house in West Virginia and changed my driver's license, maybe started working...would I be able to in state tuition? I know I should just ask the financial aid office at wvsom, which I will, but I was just curious if anyone had any insight on this question.

Also to Shadowclaws, I would fly to charleston and drive, the flight into lewisburg is on a tiny prop plane, that day there was a big storm which almost brought the plane down :), at least I thought it was. I didn't think I was even going to get a chance to interview. Maybe check the weather.

I am pretty sure if you apply as an out of stater you are considered out of state even if you move there after and get a drivers license and get a job. I had the same question for them.

If you haven't applied you would probably have to live there a year before applying to be considered a resident.

you would already have to had done it a year in advance. I asked one of the recruiters the same question. Honestly I never even considered that about any school.

My uncle who is a WV resident (although he is a MD) told me something interesting the other day. Everyone knows the OOS tuition for WVSOM is pretty high, but he said that if you stay after and do your residency in WV the state government (or the hospital) helps pay about 50% of the loan. If its true that be awesome...:thumbup:

there is a bill in the PA senate now saying that if you commit to primary care, peds, obgyn, or internal medicine for 10 years in PA, you'll get 100% loan forgiveness

WVSOM is so fricking slow. I've had decision pending for almost 2 months now. And I spoke with the recruiter.....

My status was updated on their website today as accepted. I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. If I decide to go there the massive deposit is obviously due dec 14. Are the health and proof of selective service forms due on the same date or are those just due before matriculation? Thanks

that sounds promising, they really do discriminate the instate out of state thing as much as possible huh? $40 instate, $80 oos secondary fee? c'mon, my ex- was from elkins.

I think its because very few people apply from WV, and having a low tuition cost is their way of encouraging people to apply.