-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WVSOM Discussion Thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The website is working for me now. I did not need to change the academic term as krob suggested (but thanks for the input!). My WVSOM username is listed now (it wasn't on there the last time I checked after my second deposit was received), so that's pretty exciting. I actually feel like I'm part of the class now.🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize ahead of time if I mess anything up, this is my first time using as a member. I just had a question about how long WVSOM takes to reply after an interview. I was told two weeks, but I interviewed Feb 22nd and I checked my status and it says desicion pending. Any info on how they operate would be a great help. Thank you I appreciate it.
I apologize ahead of time if I mess anything up, this is my first time using as a member. I just had a question about how long WVSOM takes to reply after an interview. I was told two weeks, but I interviewed Feb 22nd and I checked my status and it says desicion pending. Any info on how they operate would be a great help. Thank you I appreciate it.
They usually don't take a long time to get back to applicants. If you read through the entire thread, most people interviewed are accepted about one or two weeks after their interview if their file is complete. In my experience, I interviewed at the beginning of November but I was not accepted until mid-February because they had to wait for my DO recommendation. Your online checklist will let you know if/when they received the various parts of your application (recommendations, secondary application, fee, interview, etc.). The admissions committee meets on Tuesdays and the decisions are posted on the website the same day. Hope this helps!
I was wondering if anyone heard any decisions from WVSOM. My interview was on March 5. My status at this point says Decision Pending.😕
Thanks!
Thanks!
have a few specific questions: does anyone have a recent match list for wvsom? what % land allopathic residencies? what % practice in urban settings? thanks in advance!
Hey guys, moments ago, I just received my acceptance letter from WVSOM!! I can't wait to read more about the quality of life/education/future match from WVSOM.
Now...to scramble for that 3K deposit... 😕
Now...to scramble for that 3K deposit... 😕
have a few specific questions: does anyone have a recent match list for wvsom? what % land allopathic residencies? what % practice in urban settings? thanks in advance!
I've e-mailed several people at WVSOM about getting a copy of the match list.
The lack of information really kind of irks me, and I LOVED the school. It's kinda bothersome.
seriously singinfifi, the residency place where you're going to be is going to depend on you. you don't need a match list to tell you where you will be. if you work hard work in med school, im pretty sure youll get into a place you'll like. WVSOM has a great reputation when it comes to primary care, so the school will definitely get to you to places.
seriously singinfifi, the residency place where you're going to be is going to depend on you. you don't need a match list to tell you where you will be. if you work hard work in med school, im pretty sure youll get into a place you'll like. WVSOM has a great reputation when it comes to primary care, so the school will definitely get to you to places.
That's not the point. The point is I specificaly asked and was told to e-mail 3 different people, did so, and was given a run around. That's a big problem.
Where as I don't need a match list to tell me where *I'll* be, it says a lot about the school if they'll show you where their students have wound up. I'd never really given that much thought until my Touro CA interview when Dr Haight made a point of saying that TouroCA publishes their match list for that very reason.
That's not the point. The point is I specificaly asked and was told to e-mail 3 different people, did so, and was given a run around. That's a big problem.
Where as I don't need a match list to tell me where *I'll* be, it says a lot about the school if they'll show you where their students have wound up. I'd never really given that much thought until my Touro CA interview when Dr Haight made a point of saying that TouroCA publishes their match list for that very reason.
I didn't mean to critisize you or anything, but now I see your point. Please let us know if you find anything.
I've e-mailed several people at WVSOM about getting a copy of the match list.
The lack of information really kind of irks me, and I LOVED the school. It's kinda bothersome.
the match list just came out yesterday so don't be too irked...
View attachment Match List.xlsx
so hopefully this works..i figured out how to upload an attachment on this thing...so here's WVSOM's 2008 match list. i took out the names of the students for security purposes...by the way there are only supposed to be approximately 85-95 matches if you don't know why then you've got to figure that out on your own
...enjoy!!
so hopefully this works..i figured out how to upload an attachment on this thing...so here's WVSOM's 2008 match list. i took out the names of the students for security purposes...by the way there are only supposed to be approximately 85-95 matches if you don't know why then you've got to figure that out on your own
...enjoy!! Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
but you left your name... or perhaps you don't care?i took out the names of the students for security purposes...
On the website or WVSOM it says the avg MCAT score was 22-24!!! That is pretty low. Do they place heavy emphasis on GPA and EC?
Do they give preference to in state applicants?
Sorry i'm new to this site!
Do they give preference to in state applicants?
Sorry i'm new to this site!
On the website or WVSOM it says the avg MCAT score was 22-24!!! That is pretty low. Do they place heavy emphasis on GPA and EC?
Do they give preference to in state applicants?
Sorry i'm new to this site!
They do give preference to instate applicants because the school is state supported. Tuition difference says it all. I'm pretty sure at least half the class is made of out of state students though.
In State: ~20.5k
Out of State: ~50.5k
They do give preference to instate applicants because the school is state supported. Tuition difference says it all. I'm pretty sure at least half the class is made of out of state students though.
In State: ~20.5k
Out of State: ~50.5k
WV's med school applications for in state spots have been declining over the past few years..not to a huge extent but enough so that also is playing a small role with in state preference and WVPanther is right it does show in the tuition, however the number of out of state students greatly exceeds the number of in state students. Only 34% of my class are in state students.
That figure is per year w/o living expenses figured in.
Wow, that is so expensive O_O
Those of you that have been accepted, have you sent your official transcripts yet? I understand that this applies only to those that have graduated. The reason I'm asking is that I had mine sent around the beginning of March and, according to my online checklist, it has not been received. I'm wondering if I should call around to find out if my transcript was lost somewhere along the way.
when I was accepted, I looked on my status page and they had shown that they had received transcripts from all of the schools I have attended. I never actually sent them any transcripts directly through them. I would definitely call them. On my letter of acceptance, it says they need all final transcripts, so I am guessing I have to send a final transcript when I am done.
(This question is for current wvsom students)
I am an out of state applicant. I just looked at the financial aid homepage and detailed description of maximum budgets. So, basically it comes down to 80,000 per year. How would one manage to pay for everything? Do you take any other loans, besides government loans?
Also, does WVSOM offer any sort of health insurance to buy from them, or do we have to figure that out on our own?
Thank you!
I am an out of state applicant. I just looked at the financial aid homepage and detailed description of maximum budgets. So, basically it comes down to 80,000 per year. How would one manage to pay for everything? Do you take any other loans, besides government loans?
Also, does WVSOM offer any sort of health insurance to buy from them, or do we have to figure that out on our own?

Thank you!
by the way, i forgot to mention that it looks like I will be attending WVSOM in the fall 👍
I only take the federal loans granted to me through FAFSA and it is MORE than enough to pay my out-of-state tuition and live quite comfortably for the rest of the year. None of my friends took additional loans either. Rent here is super cheap and you hardly drive 5 miles per day, so you don't spend much on gas either.
I know that SOMA offers student health insurance, but some of my friends had it, but the coverage was terrible, so they switched to a mainstream insurance company (like Cigna, BCBS...etc).
This school has undergone many negative changes over the past three years and the great majority of students truly regret attending this school. Currently the administration is sweating the accredidation review that will occur this December b/c they think they may lose accredidation (as does KCOM). Our school's COMLEX LEVEL 1 pass rate was an embarrassing 82%; hence sweating the accredidation review. Ask other current students their opinion before you decide to go to WVSOM.
I know that SOMA offers student health insurance, but some of my friends had it, but the coverage was terrible, so they switched to a mainstream insurance company (like Cigna, BCBS...etc).
This school has undergone many negative changes over the past three years and the great majority of students truly regret attending this school. Currently the administration is sweating the accredidation review that will occur this December b/c they think they may lose accredidation (as does KCOM). Our school's COMLEX LEVEL 1 pass rate was an embarrassing 82%; hence sweating the accredidation review. Ask other current students their opinion before you decide to go to WVSOM.
I only take the federal loans granted to me through FAFSA and it is MORE than enough to pay my out-of-state tuition and live quite comfortably for the rest of the year. None of my friends took additional loans either. Rent here is super cheap and you hardly drive 5 miles per day, so you don't spend much on gas either.
I know that SOMA offers student health insurance, but some of my friends had it, but the coverage was terrible, so they switched to a mainstream insurance company (like Cigna, BCBS...etc).
This school has undergone many negative changes over the past three years and the great majority of students truly regret attending this school. Currently the administration is sweating the accredidation review that will occur this December b/c they think they may lose accredidation (as does KCOM). Our school's COMLEX LEVEL 1 pass rate was an embarrassing 82%; hence sweating the accredidation review. Ask other current students their opinion before you decide to go to WVSOM.
What's the point of your complaining? Do you think it's going to change anything about WVSOM? In your other posts, you asserted that you want to be proud of what medical school you attend, but yet, you're invoking deplorable comments about the students, school, and its policies. You have been in the school for about two years now, just deal with it or drop out of the school and squander your money in paying for debts. No offense! What I detest more than anything, and Dr. Atul Gawande the author of Better: A Surgeon's Notes to Performance will agree with me, is physicians and medical students who complain. Complaining will only lead to the downward spiral.
Don't complain. "To be sure, a doctor has plenty to carp about: predawn pages, pointless paperwork, computer system crashes, a new problem popping up at six o'clock on a Friday night. ... Yet nothing is more dispiriting than hearing doctors complain. ... Resist it. It's boring, it doesn't solve anything, and it will get you down. You don't have to be sunny about everything. Just be prepared with something else to discuss..." - Dr. Atul Gawande
I only take the federal loans granted to me through FAFSA and it is MORE than enough to pay my out-of-state tuition and live quite comfortably for the rest of the year. None of my friends took additional loans either. Rent here is super cheap and you hardly drive 5 miles per day, so you don't spend much on gas either.
I know that SOMA offers student health insurance, but some of my friends had it, but the coverage was terrible, so they switched to a mainstream insurance company (like Cigna, BCBS...etc).
This school has undergone many negative changes over the past three years and the great majority of students truly regret attending this school. Currently the administration is sweating the accredidation review that will occur this December b/c they think they may lose accredidation (as does KCOM). Our school's COMLEX LEVEL 1 pass rate was an embarrassing 82%; hence sweating the accredidation review. Ask other current students their opinion before you decide to go to WVSOM.
Please refer to my thread....i think you will agree😀
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514511
Our school's COMLEX LEVEL 1 pass rate was an embarrassing 82%; hence sweating the accredidation review. Ask other current students their opinion before you decide to go to WVSOM.
This low pass rate is an inevitable consequence of more than doubling the enrollment over a four-year period. I'm not a huge fan of such a drastic change. Admissions standards will inevitably fall.
On the flipside, that doesn't mean that the quality of instruction is necessarily as equally poor. I graduated in 2005 (before the big enrollment boom). Our class had a poor COMLEX 1 pass rate as well. However, I scored at the 98 %ile nationally. So ultimately, I think it had more to do with my fellow students than with the school. Sorry guys.
If you are a smart and hard-working person (and with your personal life in enough order that you can focus adequate time on studies) and choose to go to WVSOM, you will do just fine.
Please refer to my thread....i think you will agree😀
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514511
Good Lord. You again?
Seriously, get a life.
This low pass rate is an inevitable consequence of more than doubling the enrollment over a four-year period. I'm not a huge fan of such a drastic change. Admissions standards will inevitably fall.
On the flipside, that doesn't mean that the quality of instruction is necessarily as equally poor. I graduated in 2005 (before the big enrollment boom). Our class had a poor COMLEX 1 pass rate as well. However, I scored at the 98 %ile nationally. So ultimately, I think it had more to do with my fellow students than with the school. Sorry guys.
If you are a smart and hard-working person (and with your personal life in enough order that you can focus adequate time on studies) and choose to go to WVSOM, you will do just fine.
So I definitely agree with Inductionagent. If you want to be there and want to be a great doctor, then you will do the work necessary to be your best. This is true at any school. If you have the drive and tenacity to do it, then you will succeed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard what you guys were saying about the drastic change in class size and all but 82% is terrible! I also agree with you that good students who study hard and are dedicated to doing well in school can succeed just about anywhere. However, I feel that schools with >97% pass rates may facilitate success in medical school a little bit more than schools with lower pass rates. Having said that, I am now extremely nervous because interview/application deadlines are passed and I already turned down three other schools in order to attend WVSOM. I had no idea that their pass rates are so low. I was told when I interviewed there that their pass rate was around 90% or something (no one would really give me a straight answer).
I am on the waitlist at three other schools so I will have to see what happens with them. If you guys have anyone that you know that is either a current WVSOM student or a graduate from WVSOM that would be willing to talk with me about their experience (and hopefully restore my confidence in going there), I would really appreciate it.
Good luck everyone.
I am on the waitlist at three other schools so I will have to see what happens with them. If you guys have anyone that you know that is either a current WVSOM student or a graduate from WVSOM that would be willing to talk with me about their experience (and hopefully restore my confidence in going there), I would really appreciate it.
Good luck everyone.
The 82% pass rate was only for this year's third year students. Note that that class was still 100 students so it had NOTHING to do with the increase in class size. I am not sure whar if any explanation is being given but it was certainly an outlayer. We average and have averaged 92% pass rate for both PBL and SBL for many years. I will say that I am a first year PBL student and I am VERY confident in the education that I am receiving and I have absolutely NO regrets about coming here as well as NO doubt that I will pass my boards. One of the things that I had heard about the third year class ( granted rumor) was that a bunch of them that had done very well throughout the first and second year curriculum decided that because they had done well in class, they should be set for the boards. Therefore, rather than studying for boards they went on vacation and some of them did end up failing their boards. Also realize that out of 100 students 18 didn't pass. The third years that I have talked to literally said that the people that failed were total idiots that just didn't study for boards.
I am not sure if that is helpful but considering it was only one year of a school that has been open for over 20 years, I really wouldn't worry about it.
I am not sure if that is helpful but considering it was only one year of a school that has been open for over 20 years, I really wouldn't worry about it.
The 82% pass rate was only for this year's third year students... We average and have averaged 92% pass rate for both PBL and SBL for many years... The third years that I have talked to literally said that the people that failed were total idiots that just didn't study for boards.
I am not sure if that is helpful but considering it was only one year of a school that has been open for over 20 years, I really wouldn't worry about it.
The question is does low boards % passing rate has anything to do with school losing accreditation in the future, especially since accreditation review is coming up this year. I heard from some people that it does not relate at all. Any other opinions?
Medmom,
Thank you for your opinion and relating your experience with WVSOM. It really helps to hear from people that are actually there and going through school.
Any other WVSOM student's experiences would be great to hear as well.
Thanks again!
Thank you for your opinion and relating your experience with WVSOM. It really helps to hear from people that are actually there and going through school.
Any other WVSOM student's experiences would be great to hear as well.
Thanks again!
They must do something right being ranked Top 50 in primary care nationally.
I second that. I believe the new ranking puts WVSOM in 46th nationally in primary care. That's pretty impressive if you look at some of the other schools that rank below them.
I emailed a current 2nd year student at WVSOM that I know and here is what was said:
"that is the first time I ever heard that our school is worrying about accreditation. I however did see that our school was in the top 50 for top primary care schools. We also have new buildings being made, and our school has top notch technology. This year we had a genital screening course, where visiting people came in and taught us how to perform men and women genital exams on them--not every school does that. I also haven't heard anyone saying that they regret coming here. Going to any medical school and having the opportunity to be licensed as a doctor in 4 years is a privilege.
I don't remember if i told you this or not, but the school had a lot of professors retire recently, and had many new professors take their places. I heard that some do not even know what is on the comlex, and that raised my eyebrowes--BUT the new professors are only for the first year classes. What you learn during your first year is not what is on the beef of the comlex. 2nd year classes are what prepares you for the board exam. We have an excellent pharmacology department, and our visiting professors can be very good too--some visiting professors aren't outstanding, but any school will have that problem. I don't know about the statistics for COMLEX that you are stating, but remember this: many osteopathic schools accept people who have proven that they are NOT great standardized test takers (i.e. the mcat scores are in the low 20s usually). So, if 90+% aren't passing the COMLEX, it doesn't mean the school is to blame.... I did well on the mcat, so I am hoping i won't be a poor statistic."
"that is the first time I ever heard that our school is worrying about accreditation. I however did see that our school was in the top 50 for top primary care schools. We also have new buildings being made, and our school has top notch technology. This year we had a genital screening course, where visiting people came in and taught us how to perform men and women genital exams on them--not every school does that. I also haven't heard anyone saying that they regret coming here. Going to any medical school and having the opportunity to be licensed as a doctor in 4 years is a privilege.
I don't remember if i told you this or not, but the school had a lot of professors retire recently, and had many new professors take their places. I heard that some do not even know what is on the comlex, and that raised my eyebrowes--BUT the new professors are only for the first year classes. What you learn during your first year is not what is on the beef of the comlex. 2nd year classes are what prepares you for the board exam. We have an excellent pharmacology department, and our visiting professors can be very good too--some visiting professors aren't outstanding, but any school will have that problem. I don't know about the statistics for COMLEX that you are stating, but remember this: many osteopathic schools accept people who have proven that they are NOT great standardized test takers (i.e. the mcat scores are in the low 20s usually). So, if 90+% aren't passing the COMLEX, it doesn't mean the school is to blame.... I did well on the mcat, so I am hoping i won't be a poor statistic."
Additionally, I am very pleased with choosing WVSOM. I turned down other programs because I am very impressed with the quality of education that WVSOM provides. WVSOM is a very well respected program as evidenced by being ranked 43rd in primary care among all medical schools. Only one DO school is ranked higher than WVSOM. Take a look
That's not the point. The point is I specificaly asked and was told to e-mail 3 different people, did so, and was given a run around. That's a big problem.
Where as I don't need a match list to tell me where *I'll* be, it says a lot about the school if they'll show you where their students have wound up. I'd never really given that much thought until my Touro CA interview when Dr Haight made a point of saying that TouroCA publishes their match list for that very reason.
You are very sharp. Any school that does not publish MCAT scores, Board pass rates, or Match lists has something to hide. Why would each school not want to "toot their horn" with regard to where their students are obtaining residencies? The point is, if it was good, they would publish it! I have the 2008 Match list for WVSOM if you want it.
I was given the same run-around when I asked for their Board pass rates when I interviewed at WVSOM; I was told they do not have that data. Same run-around when I asked about the Match list. They fumbled with their words and then told me that they do not have that information, although it was April! Now that I am a student here, I know that they have that data by March and so, they were trying to hide it from me.
It is a big deal; bravo to you for standing up for yourself when others try to cut down your concerns and make empty statements because they do not know all the facts.
What's the point of your complaining? Do you think it's going to change anything about WVSOM? In your other posts, you asserted that you want to be proud of what medical school you attend, but yet, you're invoking deplorable comments about the students, school, and its policies. You have been in the school for about two years now, just deal with it or drop out of the school and squander your money in paying for debts. No offense! What I detest more than anything, and Dr. Atul Gawande the author of Better: A Surgeon's Notes to Performance will agree with me, is physicians and medical students who complain. Complaining will only lead to the downward spiral.
Dont complain. To be sure, a doctor has plenty to carp about: predawn pages, pointless paperwork, computer system crashes, a new problem popping up at six oclock on a Friday night. ... Yet nothing is more dispiriting than hearing doctors complain. ... Resist it. Its boring, it doesnt solve anything, and it will get you down. You dont have to be sunny about everything. Just be prepared with something else to discuss... - Dr. Atul Gawande
The author you quoted is specifically talking about DOCTORS complaining about the job that they signed up for in the first place. I would never complain about pointless things like computers crashing (it happens) or an early morning page because medicine is my life and pre-dawn pages and last minute emergencies on a Friday night do not upset me.
What I was referencing specifically was being blatently lied to in my interview about the education I would receive at a certain medical school. There is a major disconnect between the Admissions Office and the Administration of the school. Admissions portrays the school in a light that it may have been seen in several years ago, but since a new Dean was hired a few years ago and a new Associate Dean 2 years ago, things have taken a nose-dive and admissions has yet to catch up. Behind closed doors, professors will tell you know much they do not support this administration and how things have changed dramatically for the worst. In addition, the bookstore employees vent to us all the time about how frustrated they are with the administration, as does the Office of the Registrar. It isn't just my peers and I who have concerns, we just happen to be the ones that have a backbone.
I would urge you to not make such rude statements to other posters such as the one you wrote about me, "You have been in the school for about two years now, just deal with it or drop out of the school and squander your money in paying for debts. No offense!" First of all, saying no offense does not negate your poor tone; I do take offense. One does not have to "deal with it" and the only way change will occur is when someone stands up for what they believe in and does not worry about the retaliation that will follow; that is the sign of a leader.
You have no idea what you are writing about and I strongly caution you to not make such ignorant, bold statements without knowing any of the facts. The fact is, you do not attend this school and you have not gone through what my peers and I have gone through, therefore, you cannot pass judgment.
Perhaps you should ponder the following quote, so that you might gain a better perspective on "complaining" and students working for positive change.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin Those students who just "suck it up" and try to fly under the radar and get by until graduation do not deserve to be leaders of our communities. The individuals with strong convictions and a passion for what they believe in, are the individuals who will make the most difference in this world and are the ones that I want to have as colleagues.
No one should ever be told to just "suck it up" and go on with their life b/c that doesn't accomplish anything. I agree that complaining about petty things is ridiculous and immature, but we are talking about things that affect students' medical education, their ability to obtain good residencies; the rest of their lives! The problems that exist now are there b/c of all the students prior to us that never spoke up. I speak to alumni on a consistent basis that tell me what a crock this institution is and unlike you, I hear their side b/c they have lived it. A 1974 alumnus of WVSOM is a strong opponent of the current administration and he CAN speak to this matter b/c he went to the school when the administration actually cared about educating students. He notes that the school is now a business, solely run to turn a profit; that the President of every osteopathic medical school should be a D.O. that has practiced medicine before seeking an administrative position (WVSOM's current President is a business man); and that the focus needs to be placed again on the students and their education; not on turning a profit and denying students their basic rights.
And in other posts, yes, I asserted that I want to be proud of the medical school that I attend. Deplorable comments withheld or stated, I will still never be proud of graduating from here. I will not hold my tongue selfishly to ensure that my school is "perceived" as being wonderful, when in fact, it is not. I will speak the truth and bring issues to light that others so shamefully hide.
Do you know that students are not even allowed to have a student-run newspaper at this school? They will not even allow students to speak their minds, which is denying us our basic right to the freedom of speech. If we had a student-run newspaper, all of these and other issues would have already been brought to the forefront b/c a newspaper would give students a forum on campus where they could discuss their frustrations with the system, and their own opinions for change. I have plenty of ideas for change, but the administration does not support forward-thinking or progression.
You may have your opinions, but they are only based on what you "have heard" or read. Until you live it, you will not fully understand it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6585780
scroll down to near the bottom of the page and read the posts.
scroll down to near the bottom of the page and read the posts.
anybody know if there is any grade requirement to keep for final transcripts from your final semester of school before matriculation? Just thought I would throw it out there. Any grades that get you rejected?
ps- some of these posts make me nervous after committing and are making me reconsider! Anybody else have an input into the schools direction?
thanks
ps- some of these posts make me nervous after committing and are making me reconsider! Anybody else have an input into the schools direction?
thanks
We average and have averaged 92% pass rate for both PBL and SBL for many years.
This quote is not quite true, there is actually more to pass rates. National average pass rate is 92% for all steps. For step 1 we average 88% (over many years of data), 92% for second step and 95% for third step.
And National Pass rates are indistinguishable between PBL and SBL tracts, but at this school that data is not released. The offical statement is "there is no statisitical difference". Apparently they are so confident in this data that they will not share it. What does this say to you? Any one smell something fishy?
Is it possible for a school to lose accreditation if the comlex score % passing rate is 82%?
I posted this question before, but only 2 people PMed me. I would like to hear more opinions. MiserableWV, and any other student who is unhappy with wvsom, what do you think???
ALSO, What happens to you if you are already a first-second year student and all of a sudden your school lost accreditation???
Can you lose your DO degree if school that you graduated from lost its accreditation?
Thank you in advance.
I posted this question before, but only 2 people PMed me. I would like to hear more opinions. MiserableWV, and any other student who is unhappy with wvsom, what do you think???
ALSO, What happens to you if you are already a first-second year student and all of a sudden your school lost accreditation???
Can you lose your DO degree if school that you graduated from lost its accreditation?
Thank you in advance.
While I don't know this for 100% gospel truth.. this is what I've been lead to believe over time.Is it possible for a school to lose accreditation if the comlex score % passing rate is 82%?
I posted this question before, but only 2 people PMed me. I would like to hear more opinions. MiserableWV, and any other student who is unhappy with wvsom, what do you think???
ALSO, What happens to you if you are already a first-second year student and all of a sudden your school lost accreditation???
Can you lose your DO degree if school that you graduated from lost its accreditation?
Thank you in advance.
Most processes like accredidation are similar. There are a variety of statuses that can exist. ie: precandidate, candidate, accredited, probation, etc
Based on my understanding, the worst that could happen immeditely would be probation, with a review in about a year to ensure proper steps have been taken to correct deficits. By that time, if proper corrective measures should have been instituted and they would probably stay on probation until various standards are met.
As for your degree. I'm fairly sure nothing the school does subsequent to your graduation can effect your degree in any way. Now if they were on probation at time of graduation, and never regained full accreditation that might be a different matter.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hope2bdoc, thank you!
Can you lose your DO degree if school that you graduated from lost its accreditation?
.
No, if the school is accredited at the time of graduation you won't lose your degree but it sure as hell wouldn't look good. So if you're currently a student at WVSOM, please stop wasting time on SDN and start studying! Make me proud!
-WVSOM class of 2005
No, if the school is accredited at the time of graduation you won't lose your degree but it sure as hell wouldn't look good. So if you're currently a student at WVSOM, please stop wasting time on SDN and start studying! Make me proud!
-WVSOM class of 2005
I am not a medstudent yet, but I will be in the Fall 08🙂. InductionAgent, what happens if a school loses accreditation while you are still a student??? Seems like absolutely nobody knows a definite answer to this question.
I am not a medstudent yet, but I will be in the Fall 08🙂. InductionAgent, what happens if a school loses accreditation while you are still a student??? Seems like absolutely nobody knows a definite answer to this question.
You would need to transfer to another school if possible. The de-accredited school might keep its doors open, and you could still graduate with a degree. However, you would not be able to get a medical license if your degree is not from an AOA-accredited program.
Having said that, I'm optimistic that WVSOM will retain its accreditation.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Sticky
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 22K
- Replies
- 42
- Views
- 7K