-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WVSOM Discussion Thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I interviewed there on Feb. 25th, and I would like to say that WVSOM is a great school. It has one of the best anatomy labs in the nation. When I first stepped inside of the lab, there was literally no smell. If you know anything about medical schools, that's pretty amazing. Plus, they have a glass roof that allows natural lightening to come in and ventilation system that pumps in air 20 times per hour or something like that. I think that's pretty neat rather than being in a closed smelly room with dead bodies. Also, they have great human simulators that students can do cardiopulmonary things on. WVSOM is getting 5-6 more state-of-the-art human simulators next year for their new building. As far as the rural area goes, med students won't have the time to do many social outings, so the setting will provide a place from distraction. Plus, there are plenty of things to do around Lewisburg if you enjoy outdoor activities such as bungee jumping, water rafting, hiking, skiing, etc. My main concern is the tuition cost, but they have a GTA program -which is pretty competitive to get into from what I have heard, and you have to stay an extra year to help out as a TA- that will pay for three years of your tuition. Furthermore, I guess Lewisburg has really low cost of living that balances out the cost of tuition. Anyway, I am not trying to sell WVSOM to people. I am still waiting to get news back from WVSOM, and in all honesty, I don't mind going here because I know I'll have great access to the professors and the school.
I interviewed there on Feb. 25th, and I would like to say that WVSOM is a great school. It has one of the best anatomy labs in the nation. When I first stepped inside of the lab, there was literally no smell. If you know anything about medical schools, that's pretty amazing. Plus, they have a glass roof that allows natural lightening to come in and ventilation system that pumps in air 20 times per hour or something like that. I think that's pretty neat rather than being in a closed smelly room with dead bodies. Also, they have great human simulators that students can do cardiopulmonary things on. WVSOM is getting 5-6 more state-of-the-art human simulators next year for their new building. As far as the rural area goes, med students won't have the time to do many social outings, so the setting will provide a place from distraction. Plus, there are plenty of things to do around Lewisburg if you enjoy outdoor activities such as bungee jumping, water rafting, hiking, skiing, etc. My main concern is the tuition cost, but they have a GTA program, which is pretty competitive to get into from what I have heard, and you have to stay an extra year to help out as a TA, that will pay for three years of your tuition. Furthermore, I guess Lewisburg has really low cost of living that balances out the cost of tuition. Anyway, I am not trying to sell WVSOM to people. I am still waiting to get news back from WVSOM, and in all honesty, I don't mind going here because I know I'll have great access to the professors and the school.
Toasty!!!
Just teasing.
Thanks for talking about the school, Bonsante!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Toasty!!!
Just teasing.
Thanks for talking about the school, Bonsante!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhfcdqMTtU4[/YOUTUBE]
Accepted, say hello to the newest member of WVSOM's class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
*Hi-Five* - Team WVSOM '012 - ****-ya!
Accepted, say hello to the newest member of WVSOM's class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
Yay, Congratulations!! 👍 I'm still pending! Oh well...I guess I expected that, since I interviewed a week after you! This next week is gonna be agonizing!!
I have a few question for all current students: How much free time do you have and how do you fit exercise into your day, is the gym at the school busy? Also how have you paid for school, if you used loans did you take out the max amount? Also where is a good place to live?
For those of you accepted to WVSOM, congratulations. 🙂
Here's a thread you may be very interested in reading.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497810
If you'd like to contact the representatives in WV, you can use the link in my signature to get the email addresses and phone numbers.
Here's a thread you may be very interested in reading.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497810
If you'd like to contact the representatives in WV, you can use the link in my signature to get the email addresses and phone numbers.
How does the WVSOM course schedule work? What classes are taught when? SBL track. For instance I'd guess you'd dive into biochemistry 1st semester first year. Are the classes of varying lengths? I'm asking from the standpoint of someone who has never looked at a medical school schedule, knows what classes are taught, but not necessarily when.
i interviewed on 2/22 and haven't heard from them yet. however, i did have to send out my DO letter following the interview, which was sent 2/27. should i be expecting a decision soon? also, wvsom doesn't make calls correct? you have to check the applicant page?
i interviewed on 2/22 and haven't heard from them yet. however, i did have to send out my DO letter following the interview, which was sent 2/27. should i be expecting a decision soon? also, wvsom doesn't make calls correct? you have to check the applicant page?
From what I hear, the admissions committee has been backed up. Once a decision is made, it will be posted on your applicant page. The committee meets on Tuesdays.
the only housing stuff I have herd about is the list that is in the log in section, and that only appears after you have sent in the deposit. I think there was like 158 things listed on there. I have not looked too much, but there seems to be some nice options, but it would be nice if there were pictures. Also, for those that are accepted, how are you guys paying, the tuition is really starting to stress me out, I called yesterday and they said that tuition for next year is estimated at 51,000 and thats without books, supplies, hosuing or anything. This has caused me to look into HPSP but i was worried about any potential fellowship training and if I would be hampering my opportunities in any way by joining. So what has everyone decided to do?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i interviewed on 2/22 and haven't heard from them yet. however, i did have to send out my DO letter following the interview, which was sent 2/27. should i be expecting a decision soon? also, wvsom doesn't make calls correct? you have to check the applicant page?
My DO letter was received on 2/8 and I was accepted on 2/19. So it took two adcom meetings. You should be hearing soon! Good luck!
Hello, congratulations to everyone who was accepted. I am posting to see if anyone is interested in a roommate for this year. I Am looking around at places now, and I feel like it would be cheaper and easier to adjust with a roommate. I am a 25yo, clean, non-smoker male. If anyone has a place and is looking for a roommate message me, likewise if you don't have a place and want to room, I am calling places now so message me in that case too.
WVSOM does emphasize rural medicine, so it would certainly be to your advantage in mentioning rural medicine and primary care during your interview. As far as how much it would hurt you, well, that would probably depend on how strong of an applicant you are overall.
For those who interviewed were you asked about rural medicine? Is it necessary to be interested in rural medicine to be accepted at WVSOM?
They will be much much more concerned about your willingness to practice in W.Va. post graduation than they will concerning your desire to be into rural medicine. Some clinicians on the interview board might be part of the old guard in the feeling that DOs shouldn't specialize, but again it isn't necessary to know what you want to do yet. Part of the reason you go to medical school and do rotations is to feel it out. I made mention of the fact that eventually serving in the missions field was important to me, but I have it straight from Dr. Jones that they are very interested about where you will practice post graduation as opposed to what.
Cheers.
For those who interviewed were you asked about rural medicine? Is it necessary to be interested in rural medicine to be accepted at WVSOM?
Even though WVSOM does emphasize rural medicine, I did not feel like they forced the issue on the day of my interview. I don't even recall being asked about rural medicine during my interview. They did ask why I was interested in osteopathic medicine and WVSOM. Also, based on my experience, you will not be rejected for not expressing an interest in rural medicine. On the other hand, if that is an interest of yours, it certainly would not hurt to mention during your interview.
checked status today: "Accept with Contingency"? any ideas? i know they asked me about my english requirements. they didn't know one of the philosophy classes i took fulfilled that area.
Accepted!!!!I'm soooo excited. I'm going to medical school!
Hey congrats allisome! Welcome to the celebration party
and future grind! 
I think it's from the date they updated your status online. I saw my acceptance online on Dec. 18 and received the letter a few days later. The letter was also dated Dec. 18 and said I had until Jan. 18 to send in my first deposit. Since you've only got two weeks to send it in, you should call Angie or Annette in the admissions office to confirm the deadline. Don't want to accidentally send it in too late and lose your spot!
Congrats on the acceptance!
Congrats on the acceptance!

Congrats you guys! I'm graduating in a couple months and I have enjoyed my time at WVSOM. For those of you worried about the expenses, don't spend 3k on a laptop! Spend about 1k 😛 You don't need the monster machine to get on the network and take tests and stuff.
No it is not. I told them I wasn't interested in practicing in WV at the time and still got in. 😛 Told them I was thinking about going back home to Wilmington, NC.
Is it necessary to be interested in rural medicine to be accepted at WVSOM?
No it is not. I told them I wasn't interested in practicing in WV at the time and still got in. 😛 Told them I was thinking about going back home to Wilmington, NC.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone have an updated match list? how many go into specialties and how many go into primary care? i'd want to have the option of specializing open if i attend wvsom. i know internal medicine is a gateway to specializing in certain areas but what about anesthesiology, radiology, etc.?
does anyone have an updated match list? how many go into specialties and how many go into primary care? i'd want to have the option of specializing open if i attend wvsom. i know internal medicine is a gateway to specializing in certain areas but what about anesthesiology, radiology, etc.?
according to US NEWS 85% of the students go into primary care. The school is very big on primary care and it is one of the top ranked DO school in primary care.
hey i have an interview on wvsom on 4/7. What did everyone think of the school? the 49k out of state tution is a killer though
The OOS tuition is pretty crazy but I really liked the school and the area a lot, so much so that I withdrew my apps everywhere else once I got accepted. When I first started applying, WVSOM wasn't one of my top choices (despite the DO I shadowed being a WVSOM alum and really talking it up) but after going for my interview, I fell in love with the school and Lewisburg. And it doesn't hurt that there's an emphasis on rural medicine since I want to practice rural medicine.
Good luck on your interview!

That's part of their evaluation process. They want to see if you are smart enough to find them.
That's part of their evaluation process. They want to see if you are smart enough to find them.
sadly, i fail🙁
Are you clicking on the right academic term?
Yep, that's right. Double check to make sure you have your ID and PIN correct. If you still can't enter the site, you should definitely call the admissions office on Monday.
If you want to get started on the essay, they want to know why you want to become an osteopathic physician and why WVSOM should consider you for this year's class. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
If you want to get started on the essay, they want to know why you want to become an osteopathic physician and why WVSOM should consider you for this year's class. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
it took me a couple minute to find out also, but first type your password in. Then click the circle that is after the term your applied for. I think for 2008-2009 the circle is on the next line, after it states 2008-2009. Then you click submit request. After than it should say offered interview of something and scroll down and the forms are all the way in the bottom. I think they are 2 forms.
it took me a couple minute to find out also, but first type your password in. Then click the circle that is after the term your applied for. I think for 2008-2009 the circle is on the next line, after it states 2008-2009. Then you click submit request. After than it should say offered interview of something and scroll down and the forms are all the way in the bottom. I think they are 2 forms.
hmm..so mine profile just must not have been updated yet, because it still says decision deferred like it always has
i would call the school asap. you have one week from the day they called you to finish the secondary. You may have to express mail it. Someone did post the essay question, so that is really helpful 🙂. mine days decision deferred , and then interview granted right under when i hit submit request. It's weird they didn't update it. Maybe they will extend the deadline for you.
i would call the school asap. you have one week from the day they called you to finish the secondary. You may have to express mail it. Someone did post the essay question, so that is really helpful 🙂. mine days decision deferred , and then interview granted right under when i hit submit request. It's weird they didn't update it. Maybe they will extend the deadline for you.
Yeah, I hope inviting me for an interview wasn't a mistake. I'll call on monday and get it worked out, thanks for your help at least I don't feel quite so dense anymore
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call and cuss them out.
Call and cuss them out.
Now now Texas, we can't all be GaPCOM.
Laura, don't worry. The girls in the records / admissions office are sweeter than sugar. They'll be happy to help you out with anything you're having a problem with. Don't worry. This interview will be like a conversation more so than a rooting out process. The more comfortable you are in this setting, the better you'll do. So like Bobby McFerrin always says, "Don't worry, be happy!"
Hi, everyone. I have some questions for current students about rotation sites for WVSOM. I recently spoke with a physician who warned me to check out the rotation sites of DO schools because it's looked upon less favorably if you have to set up your own rotations rather than rotating in a home hospital or affiliated system. I'm not sure if this is accurate... in any case, I'd like to know the situation at WVSOM. How are rotations arranged?
Those of you that are accepted and have sent your deposit, are you having trouble accessing the website?
Those of you that are accepted and have sent your deposit, are you having trouble accessing the website?
When I talked with Angie the other day about why my interview status wasn't showing up she said that they were having issues with the website and were working on it. So I wouldn't worry too much
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Sticky
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 22K
- Replies
- 42
- Views
- 7K