WVSOM future students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CanuckDiana said:
Hi just wondering if anyone got a calendar or info about the orientation in August? I am trying to figure out when to move up there from Houston, TX and have enough time to unpack and settle in my apt. So far I am thinking of moving up there a week before school starts. Anyone else? I'd be nice to meet a few classmates before schools starts. I am so excited! :D

-Diana
WVSOM Class of 2009
I'll be driving from San Antonio sometime like July 28 (Technically I'll be leaving from Center Point, but no one ever knows where that is.) Orientation is August 8 and classes start the following Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a pre-orientation get together sounds great. I'm moving down sometime in mid-July.

Put me down for any pre-class shindigs. I think I'll be moved in during the last week of July.

- Bill Brasky
"Fourth Friend of Brasky: Bill Brasky once gave me a videotape of him having sex with my wife, and it was the most beautiful damn thing I ever saw!

Second Friend of Brasky: I have that tape!

Guy At Bar: [ turning around ] So do I!

Third Friend of Brasky: To Bill Brasky! A ten-foot-tall, two-ton son of a bitch who could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing!

Together: Bill Brasky!!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see you guys are excited- it's a cool process to begin. But seriously, enjoy your time off while you have it.

You guys will be getting three separate mailings in the next few weeks- I think its on orientation, academics, and maybe financial aid.

Also, SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medicine Association) will be putting out a 'survival guide' that has a lot of good info for the transition and the whole year.

I had a look at your schedule for orientation yesteraday- it's not pretty. 8am-4/5 each day. It's required, but at least you get your money on Monday.

As for that week, some of the current first years are planning some activities for the week and the weekend before school starts. I think on Saturday before school (13th maybe?) there might be a rafting trip. Also the Friday night before I'm getting together a restaurant/bar crawl. Should be fun aside from the daytime stuff.

Hope this info helps...

Pete

Can't wait to meet everyone! Maybe we can schedule something at the beginning of August? I will probably be moving in my apt by then. :D

And thanks Pete for the info about orientation... so 8 till 4/5pm huh? Does anyone know what we should expect? Is more academically oriented or "fun filled facts" about osteopathy?

JRiCe09 said:
I'm going down the last week of July. I can move in to my place Aug 1. So, I may drive July 31 or 30 so I can get right in there on the 1st. I am really soooo excited!! Where are you living? Maybe we can exchange numbers and meet up before school starts when we are both moved in and stuff. Anyone else for that matter as well! See you all soon!
Janice

Janice, I have to switch to Verizon before I move down there, so as soon as I get my new number I will give it to ya. Do you have yours yet?

See everyone soon! :)

-Diana

If people are interested, I have a rough copy of the orientation schedule. It's been OKed for release (for some reason they were hesitant to give this out earlier). Let me know and I'll post it. Some of us are making suggestions to the administration to push the times back an hour (9am vs 8am), and increase the interaction so you guys aren't half brain dead by 11am.

There's a lot of good info to pick up this week, but sadly it may be offset by the greuling hours.

Pete

I'm sure we'd all like to get a sneek peek at the orientation schedule. I must say I don't like the word 'brain-dead' being floated around....that's the last thing I need before I start med school...... ;)

Hey guys,

I'm really looking foward to meeting everyone!! A pre-orientation get-together sounds like a lot of fun, and it'll be nice to put a face to all these screen names. I'll be sure to PM you guys my new cell number (like CanuckDiana..who also happens to be one of my best friends :D ) when I get settled in WV. I hope everyone enjoys their summer before we all buckle down.....

Linda

Megalofyia said:
YAY! :clap:

I love schedules so I know I'd like to see it.

LOL. Must be a med student thing. Painstakingly planning our lives out by the half hour for the next year and a half.

EMTLizzy said:
LOL. Must be a med student thing. Painstakingly planning our lives out by the half hour for the next year and a half.
You only plan by the half hour and only a year and a half in advanced? ;)

Anyone up in Lewisburg know where I can get a cheap washer and dryer? Used maybe?

-Bill Brasky
"First Friend of Brasky: They use Brasky's foreskin as a tarp when it rains at Yankee Stadium!"

Yeah..or rent one.. I was thinking I'd like to rent a washer/dryer.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMTLizzy said:

I didn't want to bother Pete about the schedule, but... i NEED structure!! I would also like to see the schedule... please. :)

turtlebebe said:
I didn't want to bother Pete about the schedule, but... i NEED structure!! I would also like to see the schedule... please. :)

He's doing this just to make us crazy. He drops a bomb like "hey, I've got the orientation schedule". Knowing very well that the word "schedule" sends us into an endorphin-induced extacy that is unparallelled except for maybe getting a brand new stethoscope.

Then he just leaves. No further word.

Ah, yes Pete. You truly are Eeee-vil.

Evil, now that's something new to me ;)

Sorry for the delay, we had our final exam today- Skin system is no fun.

To further build excitement, I'll post the schedule tomorrow- I just finished packing up and I think it's in a box in my car...

On my way home now- having one year finished is great...

Pete

TOMORROW?!?! :( I leave civilization in two hours and your telling me I have to wait. I see now where the strife between PBL and SBL begins ;)

Congratulations on finishing the year and now being an MS2!! :clap:

The official unofficial orientation schedule:

Monday 8/8:
8am: Continental breakfast (aka sleep in and show up at 9)
9am: Olen Jones(Pres.), Dean Adelman, and other admin. introductions
10am: Registration/Financial Aid/Entrance interview
noon: Pizza Lunch (this will get old very quickly)
1pm: $$$$/Pictures/White Coats/Lockers/other functional matters
3pm: Deposit checks (Banking in Lewisburg sucks. More on this later)

Cash is the only good thing about this day.

Tues. 8/9
8am-10am: Student Intros (Get counseling for public speaking phobias before this)
10am: Osteopathic Medicine
noon: Lunch with faculty/staff (hope for not-pizza)
1pm: Academic Orientation
3pm: SBL/PBL panels
4pm: AACOM survey

wow Tuesday is a sleeper.

Wed. 8/10
8am: SBL/PBL orientation
10am: Clinical Education
noon: Health and wellness lunch (hope for not-pizza)
1pm: OPP integration
2pm: Time management/acadmic skills (will be useful, pay attention)

Thurs 8/11
8am: Student Affairs (wow very appropriate double entendre)
9am: Graduate Medical Education (possibly something to think about when you graduate
10am: HIPAA
11am: Boards (another good session, remember boards aren't that far off)
noon: Lunch w/ faculty and staff (hope for not-pizza)
1pm: Advance academic skills (more usefull stuff)
3pm: Intro to SOLE
4pm: Library orientation

Fri 8/12
8am: Advisor/Advisee Breakfast
9am: SBL orientation
10am: Critical Thinking/problem solving (Good stuff)
noon: Lunch, with us, your friendly MSIIs(hope for not-pizza)
1pm: Social/Emotional upheaval
2pm: Resources
315: Recent grad will tell you why to stay in school
4pm: "Wrap up/feedback"
6pm: Dr. Jones' reception (free decent dinner that is not pizza)

daily breaks at 945

We're working on getting the admin. to make this more interactive and maybe condensed/not at 4am.

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks Pete!

on a side note.... How can you say that to PIZZA? freee foooood! :laugh:

CanuckDiana said:
Thanks Pete!

on a side note.... How can you say that to PIZZA? freee foooood! :laugh:

Believe me, you will get sick of pizza. There are only a couple of places to get pizza from, (Pizza Hut, "Buck's"), and it gets old quickly. I don't get it- we promote wellness and health so much as an osteopathic school and then have all these pizza lunches. I brought it up at the beginning of the year and was basically told it was due to lack of funding.... And they wonder why nobody is awake for after lunch classes. Ok I'm off my soap box now....

Pete

dowiattp said:
The official unofficial orientation schedule:

Monday 8/8:
8am: Continental breakfast (aka sleep in and show up at 9)
9am: Olen Jones(Pres.), Dean Adelman, and other admin. introductions
10am: Registration/Financial Aid/Entrance interview
noon: Pizza Lunch (this will get old very quickly)
1pm: $$$$/Pictures/White Coats/Lockers/other functional matters
3pm: Deposit checks (Banking in Lewisburg sucks. More on this later)

How does money factor into the day? Are people getting money at school?

I guess since I have $0 in financial aid, I will be having a very boring afternoon.

EMTLizzy said:
How does money factor into the day? Are people getting money at school?

I guess since I have $0 in financial aid, I will be having a very boring afternoon.

Yes,this is when people get big checks- like 13K big... It's quite the experience to hold that kind of check in hand.

Amazing you have 0 financial aid- is dad one of the founding fathers? ;)

dowiattp said:
Yes,this is when people get big checks- like 13K big... It's quite the experience to hold that kind of check in hand.

Amazing you have 0 financial aid- is dad one of the founding fathers? ;)

I thought you don't get any financial aid if you are an out-of-stater. All the money I'll be using will be from major loans. :(

turtlebebe said:
I thought you don't get any financial aid if you are an out-of-stater. All the money I'll be using will be from major loans. :(

We use 'financial aid' interchangibly with 'very high interest unsubsidized private loans'. You still get that money Monday...

dowiattp said:
We use 'financial aid' interchangibly with 'very high interest unsubsidized private loans'. You still get that money Monday...

No loans either. Didn't need the loans, so it didn't make sense to take them out. Hence I'm not eligible for any financial aid.

Well I'm shopping for the laptop I will apparently need at WVSOM. I'm an SBLer, why will I need a laptop specifically instead of my desktop that is only one year old? If I don't need to drop 2 grand I'd rather not.

-Bill Brasky
"Second Friend of Brasky: [proposing a toast] To Bill Brasky!

All Three: [raising their glasses] Bill Brasky!

Third Friend of Brasky: A ten foot monster who slept with all of our wives!

Second Friend of Brasky: And he punched us all in the face!

First Friend of Brasky: And we LOVED him for it!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2642032&postcount=146

Bill_Brasky said:
Well I'm shopping for the laptop I will apparently need at WVSOM. I'm an SBLer, why will I need a laptop specifically instead of my desktop that is only one year old? If I don't need to drop 2 grand I'd rather not.

-Bill Brasky
"Second Friend of Brasky: [proposing a toast] To Bill Brasky!

All Three: [raising their glasses] Bill Brasky!

Third Friend of Brasky: A ten foot monster who slept with all of our wives!

Second Friend of Brasky: And he punched us all in the face!

First Friend of Brasky: And we LOVED him for it!"

Ok, so now that we know what orientation week is going to be like, I was wondering what to expect during the first week or first couple days of classes. Do we dive right in? Does it start slow? Just getting myself prepared...thanks!!!
Janice

JRiCe09 said:
Ok, so now that we know what orientation week is going to be like, I was wondering what to expect during the first week or first couple days of classes. Do we dive right in? Does it start slow? Just getting myself prepared...thanks!!!
Janice

I'm expecting to cry a lot. :laugh:

You jump right into school. Below is a draft of your schedule.

Medial Terminology Test- August 23 @ 8 Am
First anatomy practical exam - September 2
Physical Diagnosis test I - September 21
Second Anatomy Practical exam - September 23
First Block Week - September 26-30
Day 1 - Gross
Day 2 - OPP
Day 3 - Histology
Day 4 - Developmental
Day 5 - Biochemistry

Day I - Monday AUGUST 15

9-10 Histology - slide preparation and the cell
10-11 Histology - the cell
11-12 Histology - the cell
1-2 Introduction to gross anatomy and osteopathy and anatomy
2-3 Anatomy rules and regulations
3-5 Gross anatomy lab skin back, superficial back muscle

Day II - Tuesday AUGUST 16

9-10 Introduction to OPP/ Models of osteopathic care
10-11 Anatomy the fundamental body section
11-12 Developmental genetics - Cell division
1:30-2:30 Anatomy Organization of the spinal cord
2:30-4 OPP lab Intro to palpation

Day III - Wed. AUGUST 17

8-9 Introduction to radiology
9-10 Developmental genetics - Early embryogenesis
10-11 Radiology of the back
1-3 Introduction to physical diagnosis
3-5 Gross Lab - Superficial and deep back muscles

Day IV - Thurs August 18

8:30-9:30 Meet with faculty advisors
9:30-10 Breakfast with biochem
10 - 11 Amino Acids
11-12 Developmental Genetics - Bilaminar Stage
1-2 Histology - epithelium
2-4 histology lab

Day V - Friday August 19

9-10 Developmental genetics - trilaminar stage
10-11 Protein Structure and function
11-12 proteins structure and function
1-2 Gross - Anterior supply of spinal cord
2-3 principles of circulation and arteries of limbs
3-4 Intro to case studies and exams
4-6 Gross lab accessory back muscles and spinal cord

hey
so i know that everyone probably already has housing plans already, but being a procrastinator, i don't. i called most of the numbers from the apartment listings from the school, and of course, most of them are taken. i noticed that a lot of the apartments available are two bedroom.....is there anyone who would like a roommate? the rent would be way cheaper...im clean and pretty laidback about everything. or if anyone would like to split a house...just let me know!!!!
thanks!!
bianca

bat258 said:
hey
so i know that everyone probably already has housing plans already, but being a procrastinator, i don't. i called most of the numbers from the apartment listings from the school, and of course, most of them are taken.

Was that just the one bedroom apts that were taken? I'm going down next week to find a place to live and am fine with getting a 2 bedroom or a house if one is available.

Not looking for a roommate, sorry.

is it just me or is the schedule nerve-racking? i'm totally looking foward to the start of classes, but they weren't kidding when they said we dive right in huh?

turtlebebe said:
is it just me or is the schedule nerve-racking? i'm totally looking foward to the start of classes, but they weren't kidding when they said we dive right in huh?

By the time we get there we will be so pumped to finally get started that I think we'll (or at least me) will just dive right in. The schedule looks nerve-wracking yes, but we wouldn't be going to medical school if we couldn't handle it. We'll be fine Ms. Turtle.

-Bill Brasky
"Second Friend of Brasky (Will Ferrell): Hey, do you fellas know a.. a guy by the name Bill Brasky?!!

First Friend of Brasky (John Goodman): Yeah, I know Bill Brasky! He's a 10-foot-tall beast man, who showers in Vodka.. and feeds his baby Shrimp Scampi..".

HeLp!
How much does everyone generally take out in loans? I have so much that I have to figure to take out in alternative loans, but I'm not sure what to do. What does everyone rec? Let me know ASAP...thanks!
Janice

Hi from sunny Haifa.

Remember that med school is a long, arduous process. You have to pace yourself and try to maintain a level head- there are ups and downs, but the middle of the road is the place to be. Everyone will be fine, so long as you all work hard consistently, avoid stressing out, and take care of yourself.

Janice- for loans, the best thing to do is to try and make a detailed budget, then stick to it. It's easy to live on less than the full amount available, but it's even easier to not think twice about spending money needlessly. I personally use near the full amount, with the money in exces of what I actually need being used for travel (an expensive hobby, but it keeps me sane). You can always take out more money if you need it, and give it back if you don't. Any outside money able to go towards interest (aka gifts from parents/family) will be helpful in the long run.

Hope this helps,
Pete

Everyone get their housing worked out?

I was just in LEwisburg this weekend and probably contacted everyone in our directory. Let me know if you want to know who has nothing and who still has stuff open.

I found a 2 story, 2 1/2 bath, 2 bedroom place and I love it. It even has a garage and a porch! I went to a big furniture store in town and practically bought out the place! Also got a washer and dryer for the place since it had a hook-up.

Only thing is that the street I'm on has no name. It's in the Merryhill Estates behind the K-Mart off of 219, but the street itself has no name. Weird, but I guess the mailman knows what "Merryhill Estates" means. Pizza delivery will be tough since it's a gated community!

So excited to move now!

EMTLizzy said:
Everyone get their housing worked out?

Still working on this.... Did you find anything else available? I wonder if my current apt. is up for rent as I've yet to give an answer to my landlord as to whether I am staying or not (109 Blackbird Way).

We'll see what happens.... If anyone could send me the latest directory, it woudl be appreciated- [email protected]

Thanks,
Pete

Okay, I looked at the specs for the laptop and got my new nifty-awesome-super-cool new machine the other day. I already love it, but I have a concern: Since we are using these during classes are there power outlets for the computers (as well as ethernet hook-ups since I heard they don't have wireless) at the desks in the lecture hall we'll be using these things? My computer eats through its battery time so quickly, and I'm worried about it dying in the middle of something important.

-Bill Brasky
"
Second: Did I ever tell you about the time Bill Brasky sold me into slavery?

First: Well, if you're talking about Bill Brasky, I believe it!

Second: Oh, yeah! He puts me on a ship to Thailand, right? And I'm chained to a pipe. Meanwhile, ol' Brasky, he's back in the States siring three beautiful children with my wife!

First: I hate Bill Brasky.. but I respect him!"

Yes, there are power/ethernet connections at every desk. Wireless might be put in this year, but probably not.

Bill_Brasky said:
Okay, I looked at the specs for the laptop and got my new nifty-awesome-super-cool new machine the other day. I already love it, but I have a concern: Since we are using these during classes are there power outlets for the computers (as well as ethernet hook-ups since I heard they don't have wireless) at the desks in the lecture hall we'll be using these things? My computer eats through its battery time so quickly, and I'm worried about it dying in the middle of something important.

-Bill Brasky
"
Second: Did I ever tell you about the time Bill Brasky sold me into slavery?

First: Well, if you're talking about Bill Brasky, I believe it!

Second: Oh, yeah! He puts me on a ship to Thailand, right? And I'm chained to a pipe. Meanwhile, ol' Brasky, he's back in the States siring three beautiful children with my wife!

First: I hate Bill Brasky.. but I respect him!"

dowiattp said:
Still working on this.... Did you find anything else available? I wonder if my current apt. is up for rent as I've yet to give an answer to my landlord as to whether I am staying or not (109 Blackbird Way).

We'll see what happens.... If anyone could send me the latest directory, it woudl be appreciated- [email protected]

Thanks,
Pete

Judy Steele had a few things coming available July 1. And I know there's a house available a few blocks from the school. But you have to mow the lawn. :(

Bill_Brasky said:
Okay, I looked at the specs for the laptop

Where did you get these? I have a really goot laptop that's about a year old. It has everything in it I could possibly need and is upgradable so I'm not concerned. But what are the specs so I know if I need to add anything?

Here is the pdf where the laptop requirements can be found: http://www.wvsom.edu/ComputerServices/StudentLaptopRequirements/Laptops2009.pdf

-Bill Brasky
"Second Friend of Brasky: Did I ever tell you about the time Brasky took me out to go get a drink with him?

Third Friend of Brasky: I'm a convicted sex offender!

Second Friend of Brasky: [after a pause] Anyways, we go off lookin' for a bar and we can't find one. Finally, Brasky takes me into a vacant lot and says, "Here we are!" Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a bar around us!

First Friend of Brasky: P. J. McGinty's!

Second Friend of Brasky: That's right, that's right! Well, the day they opened it, we ordered a shot, drank it and then burnt the place to the ground. Brasky yelled over the roar of the flames, "Always leave things the way you found them!"

Third Friend of Brasky: He was a terrible man!"

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of a academic schedule for the upcoming school year that includes things like holiday dates, semester beginnings (August 8th) but also endings? I need to start looking for plane tickets around holidays and things of that nature.

Also, do any of you wonderful current students who answer our questions know where I mightbe able to pick up a used washer and dryer now that people should be done with boards and stuff...

-Bill Brasky
"First Friend of Brasky: Brasky's semen can form into a liquid human!

Second Friend of Brasky: Like the guy in "Terminator 2"!

First Friend of Brasky: Brasky still believes in Santa Claus! And he wants to put him in porno films..

Third Friend of Brasky: He thinks Iron-Man is gay!

First Friend of Brasky: He framed Roger Rabbit!"

bat258 said:
hey
so i know that everyone probably already has housing plans already, but being a procrastinator, i don't. i called most of the numbers from the apartment listings from the school, and of course, most of them are taken. i noticed that a lot of the apartments available are two bedroom.....is there anyone who would like a roommate? the rent would be way cheaper...im clean and pretty laidback about everything. or if anyone would like to split a house...just let me know!!!!
thanks!!
bianca

I am late as well finding a place to live. Does anyone know a good place to start looking? Is it possible to find a place to live with out making a trip up there? I am looking for a roommate. Are there houses to rent? :eek: Let me know. Thanks for all the help.
Andrew

bianc0001 said:
I am late as well finding a place to live. Does anyone know a good place to start looking? Is it possible to find a place to live with out making a trip up there? I am looking for a roommate. Are there houses to rent? :eek: Let me know. Thanks for all the help.
Andrew

If you're willing to take a place sight unseen, then yes it is possible.

I know some people on SDN were looking for roommates. Keep asking around. Make some calls in the housing directory. A lot of things were taken when I was calling around, but some of the larger houses were still left.

EMTLizzy said:
If you're willing to take a place sight unseen, then yes it is possible.
This can be a risk. There was a house I was thinking of renting based on the description. I asked if someone could email photos to me and I'm really glad I did.

Does anyone have any information on renting washing machines and dryers?

I emailed WVSOM today. Although they are still working on the academic calender here is what they have so far as far as holiday dates are concerned.

LABOR DAY HOLIDAY – No Classes September 5, 2005

THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY: Students November 23-27, 2005

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY: Students December 24, 2005 – January 8, 2006

MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY - - HOLIDAY - - No Classes January 16, 2006

SPRING BREAK & EASTER HOLIDAY - Freshmen & Sophomores March 25, 2006 – April 2, 2006

-Bill Brasky
"First Friend of Brasky: Brasky got his wife pregnant.. and she gave birth to a delicious 16 oz. steak..

Third Friend of Brasky: The afterbirth was sauteed muchrooms!

Second Friend of Brasky: Brasky's family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neil Armstrong!"

Hey guys,

I think we're close enough to being in school that we can leave the "pre-do" forum. I'm going to start a WVSOM 2009 thread in the DO "class of" folder. See ya there!