WVSOM future students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Hi!

What cell phone companies work up there? I currently have T-mobile and my cell was useless the whole time I was interviewing at WVSOM. I heard of U.S. cellular? How about Cingular? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Richie Truxillo said:
Charter Highspeed or Verizon DSL. I recommend Charter High speed if you are getting cable anyway.

I am sure that Rchrest would agree with me in that broadband internet is the shiznit and beats dial-up hands down.

Cable is always better in my opinion... unless, of course, you can't get it where you live. Rant mode on: I never bought the "dsl is more consistent" theory. The dsl marketing people forget to tell folks that net speed is almost always limited by the server you're connected to, not the number of cable users surfing. OK, rant mode off.

CanuckDiana said:
Hi Hi!

What cell phone companies work up there? I currently have T-mobile and my cell was useless the whole time I was interviewing at WVSOM. I heard of U.S. cellular? How about Cingular? Thanks!

PHONE SCOOP:

Available: US Cellular (CDMA) / Cellular One (GSM)(Highland Cellular)

US Cellular is MUCH more reliable. Cingular is not here. If you sign up for cingular in another city where it IS supported, and have your bill sent there, you can roam on Cellular One GSM towers here in Lewisburg. HOWEVER...... the Cell One towers here in Lewisburg/ White Sulphur are incredibly congested in the afternoons and after 9pm. If someone tries to call you, often times they can't get through and instead get "We're sorry, all circuits are busy now..."

I was with US Cellular for a year and pretty happy. However, I switched to Cingular last year so that I can travel and have the latest and greatest phones. With it comes crappy cell one towers, occasional dropped calls, and frequent inability to receive incoming calls.

Go with US Cellular when you get here. Note they don't prorate the cancellation fee anymore (~$175). Also, if you like new phones like I do, they're very expensive as discounts aren't offered as long as you're in a contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
CanuckDiana said:
Hi Hi!

In the process of trying to find a place to live I ended up talking to a few people who were using cell phones there.

One person was on U.S. Cellular which is apparenlty the cell phone service for that area. I could hear them but it wasn't great.. sounded like cell phones did 15 years ago, a lot of static.

Then I was talking to someone who has verizon and they were very clear. I think I will probably go with verizon. My only prob is that they dont have an unlimited text messaging like t-mobile does.

I love my t-mobile phone so much.. it doesn't have THE best service but I love that I have unlimited internet and text messaging on it. I'm gonna cry when I have to switch :(.

Megalofyia said:
One person was on U.S. Cellular which is apparenlty the cell phone service for that area. I could hear them but it wasn't great.. sounded like cell phones did 15 years ago, a lot of static.

Then I was talking to someone who has verison and they were very clear. I think I will probably go with verison.

Seriously, what if the USC person has an ancient phone.... didn't have the cdma antenna extended.... was eating in Food and Friends (where USC is weak)... and verizon person was standing in the walmart parking lot out in the open. Really need a better comparison. Also, I'm pretty sure Verizon signup will be the same with Cingular... I don't think they'll sell you a phone if your address is in lewisburg.

In fact, this just came up on the verizon website: We currently do not have service for zip code 24901. If you would like to choose a location by a different zip code please enter it now, or choose a location by city/state.

They were both at home.. I asked the verizon person about their service and they said they were very happy with it and it was typical for them to have good service.

The US cellular person said the reception they were getting was pretty typical for them.

I will assume the difference was probably due to the actual phones.

I'm not saying anyone HAS to get Verizon.. my preference would actually be to be able to keep the phone I have now, and I'm just stating what my experience has been.

Good investigation! Still curious to see how one has to sign up for it.

rchrest1 said:
Good investigation! Still curious to see how one has to sign up for it.
I plan on getting it over the summer while I'm at home, then I'll just pay my bills online.

Rchrest is right on the money. I have U.S. Cellular for phone service and it works very very well, even out in the boonies for me. He's also very correct about DSL and it's false marketing hooks.

Just a lil story for you all. I was told I couldn't get any verizon service here. Then when I got my (landline) phone, DSL service "magically" appeared on my statement. (remember, it is not available right?) They also charged me for a DSL modem I never ordered! Sheesh! Took them 3 months to get it off my bill.

U.S. Cellular, I've never had a problem with ever. ;)

Ok I passed anatomy! Woo hoo! Don't have the offical grade but I got an A on the practical and I think I only missed 12 on the written!

Party time :laugh:

- Richie

Megalofyia said:
How basic is the terminology.. like is it geared towards someone who's had NO medical terminology? Think there is a noticible difference between editions 3 and 4?

Not sure if there's a response to your question.... definitely pick up an old, ratty edition from amazon, etc. It's the same material.... and if you take the exam without reading the book, you will probably score a 90%.

rchrest1 said:
In fact, this just came up on the verizon website: We currently do not have service for zip code 24901. If you would like to choose a location by a different zip code please enter it now, or choose a location by city/state.

Here's the deal with Verizon. I have a Verizon phone and will have to be raked over hot coals before I'm willing to give it up. It's the first service I've had that is reliable.

Anyway, when I was in Lewisburg for my interview I had a full signal...but I was roaming. Now I didn't get charged extra for that (I think it depends on what kind of plan you have) but I can't access my voicemail. To get my voicemail I would have to drive out on the interstate for about a half an hour.

I have been accepted at WVSOM and a few weeks ago made a trip down to find housing. I signed a lease to live across from the elementary school. Anyone else on here living in that same complex?

bhogan22 said:
I have been accepted at WVSOM and a few weeks ago made a trip down to find housing. I signed a lease to live across from the elementary school. Anyone else on here living in that same complex?

I'm there (here). We met out in the parking lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMTLizzy said:
Here's the deal with Verizon. I have a Verizon phone and will have to be raked over hot coals before I'm willing to give it up. It's the first service I've had that is reliable.

Anyway, when I was in Lewisburg for my interview I had a full signal...but I was roaming. Now I didn't get charged extra for that (I think it depends on what kind of plan you have) but I can't access my voicemail. To get my voicemail I would have to drive out on the interstate for about a half an hour.

I'm sure there's a way to check it... call CS and ask how to check VM "while roaming." You don't have to mention you're moving.

rchrest1 said:
I'm there (here). We met out in the parking lot.

you have instant messenger, i have some questions about what i need to bring with me in july.

bhogan22 said:
you have instant messenger, i have some questions about what i need to bring with me in july.

I put your bpp1122 on my list... will look for you...

Thanx for everyone's input on the cell phone issue. I will be very sad to give up t-mobile too! i will miss unlimited text & t-zones!

Also I was wondering how do we get our books next year? Do we get them at the bookstore or should we try to buy them online for a cheaper price? If so, where can I find the list to start looking on amazon? thanx!!! :)

bhogan22 said:

Are there any apts still available? I remember walking by the elementary school but I don't remember any complex. What's it called?

Most apartments have been rented out it seems... I called a few of the apts in the list and more than 3/4 are taken. I really hope that Woodland Akers will be available by July... I'm getting nervous! :scared:

Now that the great cell phone debate is over I have a question to pose to all you WVSOMers....

What bank do you all use?

Currently I band with Wells Fargo, who despite being an extremely large bank does not have a single branch or ATM east of the Mississippi. Does anyone have any recommendations? Bigger is usually better as long as they are reasonable about how evil they are to you.....

-Bill Brasky
"First Friend of Brasky: He orchestrated the merger between UNICEF.. and Smith & Wesson.

Third Friend of Brasky: Brasky went public with his own buttocks.. and made $7 million.

Second Friend of Brasky: [ holds glass in air ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!"

I use BB&T myself having switched my savings/checking and artist account from Bank of America. Why BB&T? If you travel it comes in handy as BB%T is pretty widespread. That was my choice. 8) Never have had a problem with em.

I'm also a member of a credit union back home, which got me a 3.75% car loan and some pretty killer interest rates on other loans.

Ok, start the great new bank debate ;)

-Richie

CanuckDiana said:
Thanx for everyone's input on the cell phone issue. I will be very sad to give up t-mobile too! i will miss unlimited text & t-zones!

Also I was wondering how do we get our books next year? Do we get them at the bookstore or should we try to buy them online for a cheaper price? If so, where can I find the list to start looking on amazon? thanx!!! :)

Richie Truxillo said:
I use BB&T myself having switched my savings/checking and artist account from Bank of America. Why BB&T? If you travel it comes in handy as BB%T is pretty widespread. That was my choice. 8) Never have had a problem with em.

I'm also a member of a credit union back home, which got me a 3.75% car loan and some pretty killer interest rates on other loans.

Ok, start the great new bank debate ;)

-Richie

Both City and BB&T will try to get your business when you get here. BB&T used to be pretty bad for fees, but I'm pretty sure they've caught up to City's Free accounts. Like Richie said, you might want to see which one will suit you after you graduate as well.

Anyone know the stats for WVSOM? I applied last year with a 3.31/3.17 (cum/sci) and 22 MCAT and got an interview but didn't go. This year it's 3.29/3.33 and retaking in August. Just wondering if I can expect another interview.

JKDMed said:
Anyone know the stats for WVSOM? I applied last year with a 3.31/3.17 (cum/sci) and 22 MCAT and got an interview but didn't go. This year it's 3.29/3.33 and retaking in August. Just wondering if I can expect another interview.

Definitely give it another shot. :thumbup:

Maybe Richie can chime in on whether the PBLs have free access to all the textbooks.

The class usually rotates people for free MDConsult memberships which have access to a ton of books.

PBLers and books. Well the library does reserve textbooks for PBLers but I spent 3700 bucks on books this year. Granted I don't have much to buy for next year but I found I had to have a Cecil's Textbook of medicine and lab test manuals and alot of stuff you normally get in later years. It's because you're doing case based stuff from the get go and some of the learning issues your group can come up with won't necessarily be basic science related. So in that sense, yeah it sucks. But if you want to be frugal, you sure can just check out the books from the library and Dr. M usually has books you can borrow from him.

SBLers get printed notes in their boxes on a regular basis and it usually has everything ya need within. I heard 2nd year can be a little bit different though (rchrest would know better than me) with all the guest lecturers for the systems.

Yes, reapply for the next cycle and do it early if you are sure you want to come here. They usually will get back to you pretty fast if you get your AACOMAS in.

And, I passed anatomy! woo woo! made an 93.8% on the final! I am so very very glad it is over.

Regards,
Sparky (aka Richie)

With everything on my plate at the moment I realize that I forgot to call Sharon Howard before the 29th to discuss my borrowing needs. This is not good. I will have to get a hold of her Monday and hope I'm not in too much trouble.

-Bill Brasky
"Second Friend of Brasky: Brasky's family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neil Armstrong!

First Friend of Brasky: Brasky ranked 18th.. in the AP College Football Poll..

Third Friend of Brasky: [ thrusting glass in the air ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!"

Sharon's pretty cool and understanding bro, so don't worry too much about it. Would call her ASAP though. You want to have some money in the bank when ya start ;) Gotta buy them books and stuff.

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
spent 3700 bucks on books this year.

This is why I recommend taking buying advice from someone who has actually studied for and taken the exams. You easily put out 10x what lots of people do. Heck of a library though!

Richie Truxillo said:
I heard 2nd year can be a little bit different though with all the guest lecturers for the systems.

It's actually the opposite. First year you get basic sciences and might take a look at biochem and definitely anatomy... but 2nd year is just like you said. Guest lecturers with their own notes. Robbins pathology is a good reference for 2nd year, even though most of the class notes are just copied and pasted right out of Robbins..

rchrest1 said:
First year you get basic sciences and might take a look at biochem and definitely anatomy... but 2nd year is just like you said. Guest lecturers with their own notes. Robbins pathology is a good reference for 2nd year, even though most of the class notes are just copied and pasted right out of Robbins..

Okay, so what are the "must have" books for first year SBLers?

I know how I am when it comes to buying books. I buy everything on the list. What will I absolutely need and what will I never crack open?

EMTLizzy said:
Okay, so what are the "must have" books for first year SBLers?

I know how I am when it comes to buying books. I buy everything on the list. What will I absolutely need and what will I never crack open?

Just wait until you get here and the classes start. You'll definitely need the anatomy text, anatomy atlas, and biochem for the first couple months. The rest depend on your comfort level with histology and embryo/genetics. The OPP department used to pass out the lab notes in spiral bound books, but now they have put it all into a book and suggest you buy it.

rchrest1 said:
Just wait until you get here and the classes start. You'll definitely need the anatomy text, anatomy atlas, and biochem for the first couple months.

Thanks!

One more question. About 3rd and 4th year rotations....

I've heard conflicting answers to this. Some say that you have to do everything in WV, others say there are certain ones that are required to be done in WV and some you can do elsewhere as long as you arrange it.

What's the deal?

EMTLizzy said:
Thanks!

One more question. About 3rd and 4th year rotations....

I've heard conflicting answers to this. Some say that you have to do everything in WV, others say there are certain ones that are required to be done in WV and some you can do elsewhere as long as you arrange it.

What's the deal?

You should be able to do some out of state, especially 4th year.

Congrats to everyone that was accepted for next year!

I'm one of the first year SBLers- happy to answer any questions.

I'll chime in here on some of the advice Truxillo/Chrest have already given:

-Books: Don't buy them. Mostly (I'll give details on this later, though ultimately it is personal preference).

-Cellphone: If you have Verizon or another CDMA provider, stick with it (I didin't know Cell One was GSM, do they partner for roaming with a national partner?) Bottom line, really no need to get a local number.

-Banking: Keep your home bank. Open an ING savings account online to put your nice large check in (3% on 13k isn't so bad for that first month ;)), and shuttle money between the two. Between online billpay and the ability to use wal-mart as an atm for free, it's a hastle to get an account here.

Internet: Go with cable, get the minimum cable if you don't want to watch TV. The customer support for Charter is much better, and as I said before, there's no need for a local number (think installation fees, etc. with the phone company).

I'm sure I'll think of other things to opine on later. FYI my point of view comes from someone who is used to/loves/needs to get back to the city. More later.

Pete

dowiattp said:
I'm sure I'll think of other things to opine on later. FYI my point of view comes from someone who is used to/loves/needs to get back to the city. More later.

I know you really need a break, dude. Luckily I'm born and raised WV and don't deal well with the city. In fact, I almost got my first ulcer from the cab ride which took me from LaGuardia to a hotel in Manhattan. I was ready to go home as soon as I got to NY.

My cingular coverage is thru gsm cell one here. Since Verizon is scarce in WV, that's probably how you're getting calls. If verizon does use cell one and you DON'T get network congestion in the afternoons, please let me know! This **** has to stop.

I got interested in ING at first, but then realized that we're talking about $30 that first month.

Can't wait to hear your take on life in your next post... when you have time.

Richie Truxillo said:
Now with that said, it is hard as hell to make good grades in med school. For those in SBL, it is mastering the art of cramming, figuring out which classes to skip and taking multiple choice tests. For those in PBL, it's more complicated as not only do you have to master taking essay exams (admittedly requires much more in depth knowledge of a given topic to answer their questions) but you also have to master group-style communication and learning (you are graded on your performance in group substantially also).

PETE: This is for you.

*****I withdrew part of this post before it could get forwarded. I've been down this road before. I officially resign from this thread for the sake of my blood pressure, etc.*********

If it's more on the SBL vs. PBL thing, just remember. No matter what track you are in, just jump through the hoops, learn what you can and get to 3rd and 4th year. That's when the "on the job training" really starts. I know you have to be happy as hell to take the boards and get out there!

Dr. Nemitz is awesome. He came in off hours to help me through anatomy. The man is just a walking fountain of knowledge. That course hit me like a ton of bricks. It was 15 weeks of pure memorization hell. I did, admittedly learn alot though.

-Richie

rchrest1 said:
Can't wait to hear your take on life in your next post... when you have time.

Yea usually when nobody else is awake....

I'm drowning in pharm as we speak, and hope to get some air by exam time Friday.

I'm not going to feed the PBL-SBL debate; each is unique, and someone who hasn't been through one track is not qualified to accurately describe the other. Med school is med school, no matter how you cut it.

I'll be sure to take on the role of life-coach for a few lucky first years...

As for the cellphone problems- Even when I had US cellular, the congestion was terrible. I promptly cancelled service and refused to pay the fee- the service is crap. Verizon isn't bad at all here. Now and then I can't get a line, but it's much improved over USC.

ING is almost enough to offset the costs of interest if it is paid as you go (using the interest you earn on the account). Could make a huge difference in the long run, especially for out-of-staters like me.

Chrest why does clinical ed schedule meetings at 8am when nobody has anything to do until 10? I'll be attending from home ;)

Time for the required 4 hours of sleep.....

Pete

Looks like my usefulness has been outlived on this thread so I will bow out! ;) Rchrest and Pdowaitt will answer any remaining questions you might have! A good day to all! Now I gotta go take my OP&P exam :(
Anyone for cranial?

-Richie

Hey everybody! I am so happy to see you all on sdn. I will be joining you all in August. If there is anyone who hasn't found a place to live yet, my landlord just called tonight to let me know he has a place available. Just let me know, and I will pm the info

Any oh-niners renting from the Montgomerys on Teaberry? I got a place there and was told that two other first years will be there as well. Drop me a line and say hey.

hey guys,

do you guys anything about buying scrubs? do we need them during our first year for clinicals or anything? I was thinking I might just get some before I get to WV. What do you guys think? Thanks! =)

Scrubs are very, very useful in anatomy lab. Buy them before you get here, because they are quite expensive.

I'll be selling the 4 sets of scrubs I used for the last two months of anatomy- blue, size L (I'm 6'4 and they fit fine), no stains/smell (I'll leave that to you). Each set is $8, but if anyone needs/wants different sizes, I can get them from my hospital at home (I think they were $15-$17 new incld. shipping). If anyone is interested PM me.

For your clinical experiences you'll be expected to dress 'professionally'- button down/tie etc.

Pete

dowiattp said:
Scrubs are very, very useful in anatomy lab. Buy them before you get here, because they are quite expensive.

I'll be selling the 4 sets of scrubs I used for the last two months of anatomy- blue, size L (I'm 6'4 and they fit fine), no stains/smell (I'll leave that to you). Each set is $8, but if anyone needs/wants different sizes, I can get them from my hospital at home (I think they were $15-$17 new incld. shipping). If anyone is interested PM me.

For your clinical experiences you'll be expected to dress 'professionally'- button down/tie etc.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Does the scrub color matter? Is there a color that WVSOM prefers?

Also, about the required laptop recommendation, how critical is it to have a laptop? do you think a desktop will be efficient? thanks you for answering my questions! =D

Linda

turtlebebe said:
Hi Pete,

Does the scrub color matter? Is there a color that WVSOM prefers?

Also, about the required laptop recommendation, how critical is it to have a laptop? do you think a desktop will be efficient? thanks you for answering my questions! =D

Linda

Hey Linda- No, there is not a preference for scrub color. In fact, you can where whatever you like to lab. Dr. Nemitz, who loves Polo clothing, routinely spends time in lab in full Polo dress-- but of course he's not cutting/sawing/removing fat etc.. Like I said, scrubs are expensive at the bookstore/Wal-Mart, so get them somewhere else.

As for laptops- yes, you will need one. There's a push to increase the amount of content available over the internet. For some classes, we had required assignments that had to be completed online from the classroom (as in you needed to have a laptop). The thought is that you can easily take a laptop with you on rotations in 3rd/4th years.

Honestly, you could more than likely get by without the laptop and wait until rotations start to get one that is current (as technology changes so rapidly), but it is very, very convenient to have one. I have one of the new Sony Vaios- it's the really small one with the 10 inch screen, and I love it. I can take it anywhere and carry it with 2 fingers. Since I'm not getting paid I'll leave it at that.

Also, since I'm thinking about moving, has anyone come across anything good that is inexpensive (assuming of course you didn't take it for yourself)?

Hope this helps.

Pete

dowiattp said:
Hey Linda- No, there is not a preference for scrub color. In fact, you can where whatever you like to lab. Dr. Nemitz, who loves Polo clothing, routinely spends time in lab in full Polo dress-- but of course he's not cutting/sawing/removing fat etc.. Like I said, scrubs are expensive at the bookstore/Wal-Mart, so get them somewhere else.

As for laptops- yes, you will need one. There's a push to increase the amount of content available over the internet. For some classes, we had required assignments that had to be completed online from the classroom (as in you needed to have a laptop). The thought is that you can easily take a laptop with you on rotations in 3rd/4th years.

Honestly, you could more than likely get by without the laptop and wait until rotations start to get one that is current (as technology changes so rapidly), but it is very, very convenient to have one. I have one of the new Sony Vaios- it's the really small one with the 10 inch screen, and I love it. I can take it anywhere and carry it with 2 fingers. Since I'm not getting paid I'll leave it at that.

Also, since I'm thinking about moving, has anyone come across anything good that is inexpensive (assuming of course you didn't take it for yourself)?

Hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll stock up on scrubs before I get to WV. =)

Pete, the housing list from WVSOM is pretty good. Before I found my apt I called a lot of places that seem to be pretty inexpensive and nice. Good luck! If you need an email copy of the list, just let me know and I"ll foward it to you. =D

Hi just wondering if anyone got a calendar or info about the orientation in August? I am trying to figure out when to move up there from Houston, TX and have enough time to unpack and settle in my apt. So far I am thinking of moving up there a week before school starts. Anyone else? I'd be nice to meet a few classmates before schools starts. I am so excited! :D

-Diana
WVSOM Class of 2009

CanuckDiana said:
Hi just wondering if anyone got a calendar or info about the orientation in August? I am trying to figure out when to move up there from Houston, TX and have enough time to unpack and settle in my apt. So far I am thinking of moving up there a week before school starts. Anyone else? I'd be nice to meet a few classmates before schools starts. I am so excited! :D

-Diana
WVSOM Class of 2009

I'm going down the last week of July. I can move in to my place Aug 1. So, I may drive July 31 or 30 so I can get right in there on the 1st. I am really soooo excited!! Where are you living? Maybe we can exchange numbers and meet up before school starts when we are both moved in and stuff. Anyone else for that matter as well! See you all soon!
Janice

I'm planning on moving down by August 1. Angie told me that orientation starts August 8th.

Of course, I still need to find a place to live. But I'll be taking care of that when I go down in a few weeks to scope out apartments and houses.

Then I'll have to find furniture. That's why I want to give myself a week to settle in, furnish the new pad, and put food in the fridge.

It would be great to get together before school starts, though. It sounds like most of us will be down there at least a week early and won't have anything to do until orientation begins.