WVSOM questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recieved an email today asking me to call and make an interview appointment. They said they were going to send my secondary app along with my interview information packet.

Is this their normal procedure or should I feel all warm and fuzzy that I'm loved?

Also, what kind of questions should I expect, both from the secondary and from the interview?

Lastly, I'd love to hear what some of the current WVSOM students think about the school.

-Tas

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, this is standard.

If you want to feel warm and fuzzy, the place to go is KCUMB.

WVSOM waitlisted me and there wasn't a whole lot of chemistry between myself and the panel of 5 people interviewing me.

It is very pretty there, though, and if you are of the outdoorsy type (white water rafting or mountain biking) or the resort type (the Greenbriar is like the #1 resort of all) you'll love it.

Warm and fuzzy was optional :)

However, my favorite pasttime is whitewater, I LOVE the gauley and the new river ain't too bad when the gauley isn't runnable.

Do you happen to remember what kind of questions they asked?

Was there anything in particular that turned you off?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year PBL student at WVSOM and I love it so far. Yes it is fairly standard. Feel free to goto www.richietruxillo.com for an unofficial look at some of the student life hehe.

I chose WVSOM over an M.D. school I had been trying to get into for 3 years and I am continually reminded daily that I made the right decision.

And, most likely, you'll have a good chance of me taking you to lunch during your interview hehe ;)

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
And, most likely, you'll have a good chance of me taking you to lunch during your interview hehe ;)

-Richie

I'll look for you the day I visit.
This phrase on your website:
"Now of course, the fun part will be trying to find a place to live in West "By God" Virginia. The people up there are super friendly but the town is small. I'm talking it's one of those "Wal-Mart is the center of all civilization" type of towns hehe."
Tells me I'd probably fit in well. The picture of the guy that looks like he sat on a campfire reinforces that opinion. That probably doesn't say much - but I figure it must be an outdoorsy atmosphere for someone to even have a chance to sit on a campfire.

What kind of internet facilities does the school have and are lecture notes posted online?

DrMaryC said:
If I remember correctly, this is standard.

If you want to feel warm and fuzzy, the place to go is KCUMB.

WVSOM waitlisted me and there wasn't a whole lot of chemistry between myself and the panel of 5 people interviewing me.

It is very pretty there, though, and if you are of the outdoorsy type (white water rafting or mountain biking) or the resort type (the Greenbriar is like the #1 resort of all) you'll love it.

I was asked what I liked to do for fun, the last book I read, and maybe some what would you do questions.

I got along best with the old retired DO. The rest of them were a bit stuffy.

If you love the outdoors, this is your dream school. The mountains are very pretty here although I hear the snow can be troublesome at times. Our first cut party was held out at Dr. Small's farm which is kinda out in the middle of nowhere off of 219. It was alot of fun. There's a real non-competitive atomsphere here ( well except for one person I know of, but hey, whatcha gonna do ) and everyone is willing to help each other out.

We have the SOLE system for posting lecture slides and materials online. It's like an online planner. The school is wired with Cat 5 but doesn't have wireless. The reasons for this is A) The IT guy there doesn't know how to plug the security holes and B) Some faculty member who didn't know shizzit from shineola decided to shoot down the wireless idea. Overall the technology is much better than any other campus I've been to. They just don't know how to use what they have yet (to its fullest extent).

If ya stroll in the admissions office, talk to Carol or Angie and ask for "Richie". I'll be happy to give ya an unofficial tour if I am not in a PBL session or under a study deadline :D

-Rich

I have mixed feelings about the place.

The facilities (classrooms, anatomy lab) are quite nice and recently built. Most of the basic sciences faculty are knowledgeable and good instructors.

The clinical education part of the curriculum is kind of weak. The office staff routinely misplaces evaluation forms and incorrectly processes elective rotation applications. You are required to do more primary care rotations than at other DO schools (much less MD programs): 5 months of FP, 2 months of Peds, 1 month Geriatrics, 3 months general IM.

Our new Dean has decided to increase enrollment as quickly as possible from 80 students per year to their ultimate goal of 200. The school relies heavily on out-of-staters that they gouge for $40,000+ a year of tuition. So if you're not a WV resident, feel all warm and fuzzy inside from the cash they're getting ready to milk you for.

When you're interviewing, remember:
You're interested in doing primary care (especially family medicine)
You're interested in practicing in a rural area
You could very well see yourself setting up shop and staying in WV, because the state of malpractice insurance does not scare you the least
You intend to use OMT as part of your practice
Also, when the students take to lunch, they will be filling out an evaluation form on you (even if they don't admit to it), so be nice, and tell them the above things as well

Having said all that, I've had some good times in Lewisburg, and did well on COMLEX Level I, even if we had 17 of ~80 students fail it, so they must be able to teach those who can learn during the first two years.

-InductionAgent, WVSOM Class of 2005