WVSOM questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into WVSOM. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im really excited. I plan on matriculating this fall. wow! me in my white coat n'all....(dream...dream...)

I have a few questions(for WVSOM students mainly):

1. I plan on being a primary care physician, but would like to get into an M.D residency. Any idea on the % of students who take the USMLES along with the COMLEX?

2. What are the most popular residency programs for WVSOM graduates?

3. Any thing else I should be aware of?

Good luck to everyone else! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, when did you interview there? I just found out today that I'm on their wait list, which kinda sucks... I'm wondering if I interviewed with you though? I interviewed march 20th.

I interviewed a week earlier than you did, and found out yesterday that I got in.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
dreambig2night said:
I just got into WVSOM. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im really excited. I plan on matriculating this fall. wow! me in my white coat n'all....(dream...dream...)

I have a few questions(for WVSOM students mainly):

1. I plan on being a primary care physician, but would like to get into an M.D residency. Any idea on the % of students who take the USMLES along with the COMLEX?

2. What are the most popular residency programs for WVSOM graduates?

3. Any thing else I should be aware of?

Good luck to everyone else! :thumbup:

Congratulations on getting in. I'm a first-year student here and I love it. To your questions:

2. A vast amount, something like 70-80%, of the students here at WVSOM go on to practice in some kind of primary care. If you didn't like primary care though, you wouldn't have a problem (I'm thinking about neurology maybe). Out of those alot are family medicine, Pedes, ER, and OB/GYN roughly in that order. As far as specific programs I do not know, I've been trying to track down a list of matches but can only find those that are a couple of years old.

1. Not too many of students take the USMLE step 1. I am planning to, and I've talked to a couple others who want to as well, but I think most just are going to take the COMLEX. It's not a big deal if you want to also take the Step 1, just do a little extra studying on some of the more esoteric biochem, pharm, and micro stuff I hear the Step loves to throw in there and you'll do as well as you did on the COMLEX. Most people don't take the Step 1 simply because there isn't much need if you want to get into any but the most uber-competitive John-Hopkins-stuffed-shirt-residencies, and even some of those if you rotate through it is not as important. Basically the only places you'll need to take the Step 1 are those places where the last bastions of discrimination against DOs supposedly hold-out, but from what I hear the hype about that is much over-rated.

3. Have fun this summer. You'll be working hard the rest of your life, so go crazy, but be safe. PM me if you have any more questions.

Congrats again.

-Bill Brasky
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?

Fourth: Bill Brasky?

First: He's a big fella!

Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.

Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"

Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!

First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?

Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!

Bill,
I get into WVSOM this fall. I'm strongly considering specialties. Do you know any grads from WVSOM get into derm, rad, or ortho ? I really like the school, but not sure if I go for a DO vs MD.
Thanks

DrBMX said:
Bill,
I get into WVSOM this fall. I'm strongly considering specialties. Do you know any grads from WVSOM get into derm, rad, or ortho ? I really like the school, but not sure if I go for a DO vs MD.
Thanks

Here is the match list for WVSOM for 2005. As you can see, there are a couple of people who matched into highly competitive "MD" residencies. Basically if you want to go derm, rads, or ortho you will have to take the STEP 1, have stellar grades, highly impress on clinical rotations, have research, etc. But these are the same things any MD student would have to do as well. As long as you have the numbers, maybe rotate through the hospital to impress, you could do any US medical school (DO or Allo) and get into the residency you choose. My advice would be to go to the school at which you feel most comfortable and fit best. That will go a longer way to improving your board scores/grades, which is the gatekeeper for getting your app noticed for competitive residencies. Next in importance are clerkship grades and letters of rec and them having experience with you rotating through during your clerkships. If you want more information about the nitty gritty of getting the residency you want THE authority is Iserson's Guide to Getting into a Medical Residency, which will walk you through step by step all the work you will need. Keep in mind that most people change their minds about what kind of medicine they want to practice when they hit their clerkships too. Any more questions just post again or PM me.

-Bill Brasky

Wvsom 2005
Anesthesiology
Morgantown, WV Evan Conde
Lexington, KY Paul Johnson
Lexington, KY Michelle Urschel
Richmond, VA (MCV) Lana Rike
San Antonio, TX John Brenner

Diagnostic Radiology
Farmington Hills, MI Todd Durham

Emergency Medicine
Cleveland, OH Hayes Calvert
Lehigh Valley, PA Jennifer Miller

ENT and Facial Plastic Surgery
Pontiac, MI Danny Boxwell

Family Med Psych
Morgantown, WV George Carty

Family Practice
Olympia, WA Bev Jeffs
Asheville, NC Karl Speers
Roanoke, VA Kristine Manion
University of South Carolina Amanda Goins
Doctors Hosp, Columbus, OH Derek Stone
Terre Haute, IN Rachel Bailey
Allentown, PA Cindy Hosler

General Surgery
Doctors Hosp, Columbus, OH Christie Hughart
Mount Clemens, MI Vinh Nguyen

Internal Medicine
Charleston, WV Mary Ann Stollings
Charleston, WV Debbie Cotes
Morgantown, WV Brenda Adamovich (then neurology)
Wheeling, WV Brian Gullett
Wheeling, WV Mike Jarrett
Wheeling, WV Jamie Etzel
Dayton, OH Staci Smith
Bethesda, MD Lisa Zeleski (& hopefully dermatology)
Winston-Salem, NC Mike Kasey
Pittsburg, PA Deanna Mangieri

Obstetrics/Gynecology (OB/GYN)
Dayton, OH Doug Moore
York, PA Roseann Freundel
Tuffs University, MA Dana Quarles
Pediatrics
Charleston, WV Dave Butler
Charleston, WV Anita Hawks
Doctors Hosp, Columbus, OH Lisa Vu
Johnson City, TN Tara Mitchell

Pathology
University of Vermont Meg Davies

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R)
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) Fred Terry
Little Rock, AR Mike Hearndon

Psychiatry
Cleveland, OH Connie England Brown

Traditional Internship
Charleston, WV Melissa Williams
Charleston, WW Nikki Morrison (maybe onto ER)
Charleston, WV Mark Henley
Morgantown, WV Dianna Bearse (and family medicine)
Morgantown, WV Melissa Flannigan (then Anesthesiology)
Clarksburg, WV Kelly Dunavent
Wheeling, WV Jennifer Wildpret
Cleveland, OH Josie Jebia
Binghamton, NY Kris Van Wagner (then Ophthalmology in Syracuse, NY)
Queens, NY Joe Mejia (then PM&R in Manhattan, NY)
Cooperstown, NY Fred Terry (then PM&R)
Harrisburg, PA Ryan Harris

Thanks for all the info Bill, that was really helpful.

Personally I plan on being a D.O, Cardiologist.
I know I have to do Internal Med first, and then try to get into a good cardiology fellowship program.

Is the Internal Med program at WVSOM strong?

Are you PBL or SBL? and which would you prefer if you wanted to do an MD residency? or does it even matter on which learning style you choose?

Its just that most allopathic schools are implementing the PBL method and I was wondering if the learning style can have any impact on residency placements?

And how early should one begin to prepare for the boards? does it require time to be set apart like the MCAT?

Bill,
Thanks for your info. My understanding is WVSOM had about 100 grads or more in 2005. How come they list only 56 positions? where the rest going? You have any idea. That list looks impressive.
Thanks

dreambig2night said:
Thanks for all the info Bill, that was really helpful.

Personally I plan on being a D.O, Cardiologist.
I know I have to do Internal Med first, and then try to get into a good cardiology fellowship program.

Is the Internal Med program at WVSOM strong?
There isn't an internal med program at WVSOM since it's just a medical school. Not a residency location as well. It;s like getting our high school degree then residency is like going to college to specialize beyond the general degree.
dreambig2night said:
Are you PBL or SBL? and which would you prefer if you wanted to do an MD residency? or does it even matter on which learning style you choose?
Bill Brasky is SBL. I'm PBL.
It doesnt' matter which one you choose for MD or DO residency. The residencies are going to look at your board scores, grades 3rd and 4th year, letters of recomendations, and grades in the pre clinical years. Either way if your SBL or PBL you have to work hard to get good grades.
dreambig2night said:
Its just that most allopathic schools are implementing the PBL method and I was wondering if the learning style can have any impact on residency placements?

And how early should one begin to prepare for the boards? does it require time to be set apart like the MCAT?
The second years finish school about a month earlier than the first years in order to allow time for board study.
Its really hard to study very specifically for boards first year. There is so much going on with physical diagnoses, anatomy, OPP and all the other classes. A lot of people do use board review books when they are studying for classes though.

DrBMX said:
Bill,
Thanks for your info. My understanding is WVSOM had about 100 grads or more in 2005. How come they list only 56 positions? where the rest going? You have any idea. That list looks impressive.
Thanks
I think that the class of 2005 was smaller than 100 because that's about the size of the second year class now.. and the class has been getting progressively bigger. I THINK that the current 3rd year class is only 80 something.

Megalofyia said:
I think that the class of 2005 was smaller than 100 because that's about the size of the second year class now.. and the class has been getting progressively bigger. I THINK that the current 3rd year class is only 80 something.

Mega is right on both counts. Personally I have a feeling that PBL will be the wave of the future in medical schools, because technology is rapidly making the old sit down and write notes from a lecture that is only available once with transperancies obsolete. This year our class has all lectures available to download in mp3 format if you want to listen to them again and all lecture-powerpoints are available as well. There is talk of moving them to a video style downloadable to an iPod for even more techiness.

I was almost PBL myself but just ended up SBL. No worries, both learning styles are equally valid for whatever you want to do. In the end, any program in the country will be teaching the exact same information, in the exact same way. How good of a doctor you become is due to the sweat you are willing to put in the books to personally cement your education. When you get to your clerkships our school has a nice mix of big institutions coupled with preceptorships so you get the best of both worlds.

I would like to add that although first year it is hard to find time for board study that the board scores of our school are VERY important to the institution, as they are to any institution. All your test questions will be board-like in difficulty and wording because they want you to succeed as much as you do. Without knowing it you will be preparing for the boards the day you sit down for your first class.

BMX, I was impressed with our matches too, especially the large number of anesthesiology matches. I think that might be the entire list, I'll try and double check it when we get back on campus Tuesday, but like Mega said the class has been expanding so that might be all there is. Even though the school is getting bigger, the admin has been ferocious about getting new faculty to keep the small teacher to student ratios intact. You will really appreciate this in anatomy class and lab. I would put our anatomy education up there with any medical school in the world.

-Bill Brasky

Bill and Mega,
Thanks so much for your time to guide newbies. I'm leaning toward DO school now. By the way, I'm wondering if any WVSOM transfer to anther medical school? either DO or MD. It is interesting to see in the student handbook this year how many actually finish WVSOM. There are 3-4 students dropped out in class 2004 and 2005. Where did you go? You guy have any ideas?
In addition, 300k dept would be another thing to consider. How do you manage this?
Thanks again.

Someone was just telling me last week that our anatomy course is considered one of the harder ones out of all the med schools.

Some people drop out because of their grades and repeat the year. I know of someone who dropped out for personal reasons, they were doing well accademically.

I dont know of any transfers.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is extremely hard to transfer from any medical school to any other. For every medical student any school gets so much in funding tied to that student, and if they leave so does the funding, so medical schools guard their students like gold. It works out well for the students because you get a school that is VERY dedicated toward getting them to be doctors in the large scheme of things.

Any class at any medical school will also lose three to four people. They might be retaking a year, dropping out for personal/family reasons, or just decide that medical school is not for them. Many of them are doing fine on grades.

As far as the money issue. Me, I'm a first generation college-student so I always knew I would have a large amount of debt when I finished. Luckily my undergrad has oil under its property holdings (Texas Tech, the other Texas public schools do as well) so with as inexpensive as my undergrad was it balances out the grad school debt. However, it should be known that the tuition and budget contain ALOT of padding, in case you have a family because it is hard to find jobs in this small town for significant others. If you are frugle just don't take out the max in loans and you can decrease your load, or do what I do, take out the max, and if you don't use the money before the end of the year you can give it back to the bank and not have to pay interest on it.

That being said, WVSOM is a comparitively expensive medical school. If you feel like you could succeed or excel here though, to me it is worth it. Medical school is tough enough and I wanted to put myself in the best environment for me to do what I had to do, and I am very happy with my decision.

HAPPY EASTER!!!
-Bill Brasky

I just wanted to say thanks to Bill and Meg for taking the time to answer questions. One thing that I've noticed about the majority of WVSOM students is that they are selfless when it comes to helping others. I've been in contact with so many different WVSOM students via email, phone, etc., with many different questions, and they always have given me well thought-out responses. Can't wait to continue that tradition next year!

I can also testify that the people at WVSOM are the best.

From the moment I arrived at Lewisburg I got a good vibe from the admission staff, students, the people at the general Lewis Inn, the cab driver, pretty much everyone.

I look forward to being there this fall.

In terms of my questions on Internal Medicine, what I meant to say was that I was hoping that the curriculum favored more internal med residency seekers, when the time comes to make that decision.
From the residency placements that Bill posted, it looks like there are many students who choose I.M.

Anothe Q:

what is the average board score for students at WVSOM who take the Step I exam? (both COMLEX/USMLE)

Thanks!

One thing that I've noticed about the majority of WVSOM students is that they are selfless when it comes to helping others. I've been in contact with so many different WVSOM students via email, phone, etc., with many different questions, and they always have given me well thought-out responses. Can't wait to continue that tradition next year!

This is what I want to see! Spread the love yeah! Spread the love!!! :love:

Yep, the school is expensive but look at it two ways. 1) You're investing in yourself and 2) It's a great motivator to study hard :idea:

Either way, welcome to the WVSOM family! And on that note...I am going to crawl in bed and read my pharmacology recall book.

-Richie

Richie and WVSOM students,

Thanks so much for your info. This is one thing I really like about WVSOM student: very care about others.

I'm wondering how many ours OMT you guys must study at WVSOM. According to a research, not many DOs (about 1-2%) actually do OMT in practice. Today, we had a presentation about a DO hospital in Detroit with an abandoned OMT room. Some DO schools may stress up to 1000+ hours OMT. I don't have any ideas about this but if you're taught 1000 hrs and use almost nothing later, I think that's like a waste.

How about research at WVSOM? I really like doing research.
My anatomy professor at my school will move there this fall. She had offers from both DO and MD school (Ohio State) but she picked WVSOM. She told me that MD school (OS) don't spend a lot of time on cadaver lab (only 1 yr or less) while DO school spend entire 2 yrs plus some in yrs 3 and 4. Of course, she may be biased since she's an anatomist but she had some really good info about anatomy at WVSOM.

Thanks

More Q's:

Is WVSOM affiliated with the University of West Virginia or is it seperate?

how many students are involved in research? Does it pay well to cover some of the mind-blowing tuition for out of state students?

How would you say is the environment at WVSOM: is it very competitive? laid back? or in other words can I get 7 hours of sleep everyday?

thanks!

JohnUC33 said:
I just wanted to say thanks to Bill and Meg for taking the time to answer questions. One thing that I've noticed about the majority of WVSOM students is that they are selfless when it comes to helping others. I've been in contact with so many different WVSOM students via email, phone, etc., with many different questions, and they always have given me well thought-out responses. Can't wait to continue that tradition next year!

I agree. The first taste i got of WV hospitality, after the interview ofcourse, was when was struggling to find apartments. I went to gas stations and people helped me find places. They even called up people they knew who might have some information. I mean who does that for others in this day and age. It was so nice of them. I look forward to that type of atmosphere and community in the future.

ok gonna try to answer a few questions for ya, then I gotta goto sleep since I have group in the AM (been studying about Breast cancer all evening)

WVSOM is not affiliated with WVU at all.

OMT course meets once a week for a couple hours. I'd say with the actual clinic where you get to treat real patients...you'll probably rack up about 150 hours of total OMT practice time in your 2 years.

WVSOM is not a research oriented school. There are some projects here and there but this is not an "acedemic" environment where the school is scrambling for research grants like crazy.

Most of the people here are very laid back and friendly. The vast majority of the staff is very friendly and approachable too.

7 hours of sleep? Errrr....ehhhh... not every night. Tonight I shall net about 6 hours total ;) I'm sure it's doable but ya have to organize your time well. :D

Speaking of which, I gotta read up on the mechanics of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 tumor suppressor genes.

Love ya, mean it!
Richie

DrBMX said:
Richie and WVSOM students,

Thanks so much for your info. This is one thing I really like about WVSOM student: very care about others.

I'm wondering how many ours OMT you guys must study at WVSOM. According to a research, not many DOs (about 1-2%) actually do OMT in practice. Today, we had a presentation about a DO hospital in Detroit with an abandoned OMT room. Some DO schools may stress up to 1000+ hours OMT. I don't have any ideas about this but if you're taught 1000 hrs and use almost nothing later, I think that's like a waste.

How about research at WVSOM? I really like doing research.
My anatomy professor at my school will move there this fall. She had offers from both DO and MD school (Ohio State) but she picked WVSOM. She told me that MD school (OS) don't spend a lot of time on cadaver lab (only 1 yr or less) while DO school spend entire 2 yrs plus some in yrs 3 and 4. Of course, she may be biased since she's an anatomist but she had some really good info about anatomy at WVSOM.

Thanks

You'll use the OMT if you attend this school. Our faculty just were on the cover of the JAOA for their success in training osteopathic physicians who use their OMT skills (skillz).

About anatomy. As far as I know our anatomy schedule lasts a semester, the fall of the first year for SBL and in the spring for the PBLers. Second year students might have some small-group lectures in the anatomy lab but nothing like the actual full-blown dissection. 3rd and 4th years are at clinical rotations away from campus, so there might be some miscommunication somewhere about how the anatomy program actually works. Despite this our anatomy education is awesome and I'll put it up against anyone's. Glad to see we're getting even more faculty.

Dream, though WVSOM might not be an academic medical school there is definitely research projects to do if you want them. This fall I will probably be working in a lab, in fact. A growing number of the faculty are doing some sort of research, enough that anyone in our class who wants to do research can do research in any number of projects. They also know that coming to WVSOM means that their first priority is teaching.

Today in our e-mail we got an official match list for the class of 2006. It is a little different then the original one so give it a look.

WVSOM
Match List
Class of 2006

Anesthesiology

Pennsylvania State University / Hershey Medical Center
Hershey, PA
Jessica Henderson

University of Maryland
Baltimore, MD
Internship: Lehigh Valley Hospital – Muhlenberg
Bethlehem, PA
Elizabeth Riccobono

West Virginia University / Ruby Memorial Hospital
Morgantown, WV
Internship and residency
Brian Yee

Emergency Medicine

Doctors Hospital
Columbus, OH
Jenny Guest

Grandview Hospital
Dayton, OH
Shawn Priem

Hamot Medical Center
Erie, PA
Janet Skrbin

Lehigh Valley Hospital
Allentown, PA
Jeff Beard

Ohio Valley Medical Center
Wheeling, WV
Jennifer Adkins
Daryl Trusty

Family Practice

East Tennessee State University / Bristol Regional Hospital
Bristol, TN
Brian & Jennifer Shafer

Greenbrier Valley Medical Center
Ronceverte, WV
Tonya Massey

Riverside Regional
Newport News, VA
Wesley Saher

St. Joseph's Hospital
Syracuse, NY
Alecia VanWagner

Trinity at Terrace Park
Bettendorf, Iowa
Melvin Malcolm

United Hospital Center
Clarksburg, WV
PJ Alasky
Teddy Brennan
Chris Kennedy
Natalie King
Shavon Frame

University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN
Michael “Todd” Montgomery

Wheeling Hospital
Wheeling, WV
Matt Wood

Wilson Memorial Regional Hospital Center
Johnson City, New York
Debbie Paxton

Winchester Medical Center
Winchester, VA
David Flack

General Surgery

Grandview Medical Center
Dayton, OH
Jeremy Bigge

Internal Medicine

Charleston Area Medical Center
Charleston, WV
Kristen Bowman
Karen Jiles
Tim Darnell

East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, TN
Mailien Rogers
Mercy Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA
Sarah Bozeman
Akber Safder

Norton Community Hospital
Norton, VA
Jennifer Ayers

Wheeling, WV
Andrew Etzel
Nathan Kesner
Vonda York

Samaritan Medical Center
Watertown, NY
Laura Boggs

University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN
Chris Parrish

Morgantown, WV
Martha Bowman
Elaine Lao

Wright State University / Wright-Patterson Medical Center
Dayton, OH
Alex Bingcang

Internship

Altoona Regional Health System
Altoona, PA
Amanda Walls

Charleston, WV
Sebastian Francis
Josh Lohri
Sybil Parsley

Mercy Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA
Erin Hilton

Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
Portsmouth, VA
Brian Vincent

Wheeling, WV
Tom Waltz
Morgantown, WV
Sheli Garrett

OB/GYN

Grandview Medical Center
Dayton, OH
Christy Campbell

Lehigh Valley Hospital
Allentown, PA
Aaron Kelley

Mercy Suburban Hospital
Philadelphia, PA
Ani Ghazarian

New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Wilmington, NC
Richard “Lee” Toler

Portsmouth Naval Hospital
Portsmouth, VA
Kristi Wood

Morgantown, WV
Jessica Kerby

Orthopedic Surgery

Memorial Hospital
York, PA
Internship then Ortho Residency
Mike Tompkins

St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center
Toledo, OH
Internship then Ortho Residency
John Tabit

Pediatrics

Doctors Hospital / Children's Hospital
Columbus, OH
Jessica Castonguay

University of Arizona
Tuscon, AZ
Rebecca Cline
Morgantown, WV
Kassie Milam

Urology

Charleston, WV
Ryan Fitzwater

Combined Emergency Medicine / Internal Medicine

Wheeling, WV
Robert Crake
Luke McElwain
Christopher O’Neal

Combined Medicine /Pediatrics

Geisinger Hospital
Danville, PA
Rebecca Puher

I take back my comment on 7 hrs of sleep everday.

I need to become aware of where I am going.

Sorry!

dreambig2night said:
I take back my comment on 7 hrs of sleep everday.

I need to become aware of where I am going.

Sorry!

:laugh:

You will never get 7 hours of sleep every night in medical school. Some nights, but not all.

I opened up this thread because I knew several students who went to WVSOM, and thanks to Bill Brasky for the c/o 2005 and 2006 match lists - I was curious to see where some of the people I met on rotations ended up going!

DOtobe,
It showed that you're in PGY1 in family medicine. Could you tell me how you manage your debt from WVSOM? Is it doable to pay off WVSOM loan by doing family medicine? ( If I go there, I would have about 300k in debt).
Thanks

I didn't go to WVSOM, I went to LECOM. I just know some people who graduated from WVSOM last year.

A Question:

Is there any tuition benefit by becoming a WVSOM state resident by the end of first year?
As of now I am an out of state student and will have to pay the whoping $73,000/year. I am hoping to become a WV resident by the end of year 1, but if there is no benefit, I might not consider it.
From what I heard from admissions staff, tuition would'nt change if I became a state resident or not.

Am I correct?

what other options are there in terms of scholarships etc?

dreambig2night said:
A Question:

Is there any tuition benefit by becoming a WVSOM state resident by the end of first year?
As of now I am an out of state student and will have to pay the whoping $73,000/year. I am hoping to become a WV resident by the end of year 1, but if there is no benefit, I might not consider it.
From what I heard from admissions staff, tuition would'nt change if I became a state resident or not.

Am I correct?

what other options are there in terms of scholarships etc?

Am I right anyone? A simple yes would do. I just want to make sure because my family thinks that admissions will tell me it is not possible because they need the money. They told me that I should inquire at SDN to find out if there are students who have become a WV resident and are saving money.

dreambig2night said:
Am I right anyone? A simple yes would do. I just want to make sure because my family thinks that admissions will tell me it is not possible because they need the money. They told me that I should inquire at SDN to find out if there are students who have become a WV resident and are saving money.

I don't think this is possible. It is upto the state to decide and WVSOM is a public school.

I know that in New Jersey you can do that, but I don't think you can do that in West Virginia. It would be great if we could, but alas!

CatsandCradles said:
I don't think this is possible. It is upto the state to decide and WVSOM is a public school.

I know that in New Jersey you can do that, but I don't think you can do that in West Virginia. It would be great if we could, but alas!

From what I have gathered the only way to become a WV resident is to marry a WVian. So if you are looking this is the only way. For scholorships take a look at the online student handbook. THere is a section with some small scholarships and fellowship type things that you might be interested in. Anyways I hope this helped. See ya in the fall!

jgl1980 said:
From what I have gathered the only way to become a WV resident is to marry a WVian. So if you are looking this is the only way. For scholorships take a look at the online student handbook. THere is a section with some small scholarships and fellowship type things that you might be interested in. Anyways I hope this helped. See ya in the fall!

Ok I have to find a West Virginian girl to marry now...hmm...o dear... :love: :love:

yeah, or have a baby instate

CatsandCradles said:
Ok I have to find a West Virginian girl to marry now...hmm...o dear... :love: :love:

They have pretty good deals for an add in the dating classifieds in lewisburg! :D

CatsandCradles said:

Forget that marriage stuff with the committment and all. Just give me a suga mama :p

JohnUC33 said:
Just give me a suga mama :p

In West Virginia, they call that a rich couzin.

I am not CPR certified. What is the easiest way to be CPR and AED certified?

Can I be certified online?

I know this is a requiremtn at WVSOM that why I'm asking.

Thanks!

dreambig2night said:
I am not CPR certified. What is the easiest way to be CPR and AED certified?

Can I be certified online?

I know this is a requiremtn at WVSOM that why I'm asking.

Thanks!

I don't think you can get certified online because you have to practice hands on how to perform CPR. You should go to AHA's (American Heart Assoc.) website to check for local classes. Trust me, they offer it everywhere. I got certified at a woman's home, she was called "The CPR Lady". She was certified to conduct the classes at her home.

Oh and the reason why I recommend AHA is because it's a 2 year certification rather than Red Cross which I believe is a 1 year certification.

theresa83 said:
I don't think you can get certified online because you have to practice hands on how to perform CPR. You should go to AHA's (American Heart Assoc.) website to check for local classes. Trust me, they offer it everywhere. I got certified at a woman's home, she was called "The CPR Lady". She was certified to conduct the classes at her home.

Oh and the reason why I recommend AHA is because it's a 2 year certification rather than Red Cross which I believe is a 1 year certification.

Thanks theresa83