WVSOM unfair to Muslims??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update:

http://wvgazette.com/News/200806290325

She can now resume her rotations while her lawsuit goes on.

"McQueen said his client had stopped attending classes and would listen to lectures online because the bullying behavior she encountered had "become too painful."

He said Qureshi also had started to take anti-anxiety medication as a result of these encounters."
 
So she's not to blame for failing her second year b/c she didnt go to class? How many other students dont go to class and just listen to the audio and do well? My guess is a lot.

My school doesnt even have audio and I know a good 15% dont ever go to class (myself included) and another 25% pick and choose which lectures to attend. I imagine having the audio online makes that decision easier. Her failing has nothing to do with the not going to class.

Plus how does she explain failing first year?
 
Update:

http://wvgazette.com/News/200806290325

She can now resume her rotations while her lawsuit goes on.

"McQueen said his client had stopped attending classes and would listen to lectures online because the bullying behavior she encountered had "become too painful."

He said Qureshi also had started to take anti-anxiety medication as a result of these encounters."

LAWLROFLMMFAO!!!

That's just.. wow. pathetic.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WVSOM had previous incidents.

WVSOM settles sexual harassment claim
Christian Giggenbach
Register-Herald Reporter

LEWISBURG — A lawsuit filed last October by a West Virginia School of Osteopathic student claiming she was sexually harassed by a professor has been settled out of court for $90,000, according to a lawyer representing the medical school.

The lawsuit, filed by fourth-year medical student Isabella Askari, claimed former WVSOM professor Dr. Robert Lafferty “used his position of trust and authority to subject the plaintiff to unwanted sexual remarks, sexual contact, sexual assault and battery.”

The lawsuit also charged WVSOM with discrimination after forcing Askari to pay out of state tuition fees in 2004 when she claimed to be a Lewisburg resident.

Askari, represented by Lewisburg attorney Brandon Johnson, named the medical school, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine Board of Governors and Dr. Robert Lafferty in the suit.

Court documents filed by Charleston attorney Joanna I. Tabit of Steptoe and Johnson, the firm which represented Lafferty, indicated a settlement was reached by all parties on Feb. 21, but the agreement was sealed.

A copy of the settlement agreement was obtained by The Register-Herald after filing a Freedom of Information Act with Beckley attorney Chip Williams of the law firm Pullin, Fowler & Flanagan, who represented WVSOM in the lawsuit.

In the settlement, Askari agreed to accept $90,000 and waived all claims against “the defendants and administrators.” The agreement also released all parties from any complaints of “gender and ethnicity discrimination ... and complaints concerning the alleged wrongful conduct of Dr. Lafferty.”

“This was a blanket release of all claims,” Williams said by phone Monday. “And I am not in a position to comment on the veracity of the allegations.”

In fact, the settlement expressly denies any monies received by Askari as an admission of guilt by the medical school or Lafferty. The suit was settled out of court after negotiations with the State Board of Risk and Management and all parties involved.

Phone messages left on an answering machine at Lafferty’s office in Lewisburg were not immediately returned Monday. Lafferty worked at the medical school from August 2003 until October 2004. WVSOM officials would not disclose the circumstances under which Lafferty left the school in 2004, but the lawsuit stated he was terminated because of his conduct toward Askari.

Messages left for Askari, her attorney Brandon Johnson and Lafferty’s attorney Joanna I. Tabit were also not returned Monday.
 
WVSOM had previous incidents.

WVSOM settles sexual harassment claim
Christian Giggenbach
Register-Herald Reporter

LEWISBURG — A lawsuit filed last October by a West Virginia School of Osteopathic student claiming she was sexually harassed by a professor has been settled out of court for $90,000, according to a lawyer representing the medical school.

The lawsuit, filed by fourth-year medical student Isabella Askari, claimed former WVSOM professor Dr. Robert Lafferty "used his position of trust and authority to subject the plaintiff to unwanted sexual remarks, sexual contact, sexual assault and battery."

The lawsuit also charged WVSOM with discrimination after forcing Askari to pay out of state tuition fees in 2004 when she claimed to be a Lewisburg resident.

Askari, represented by Lewisburg attorney Brandon Johnson, named the medical school, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine Board of Governors and Dr. Robert Lafferty in the suit.

Court documents filed by Charleston attorney Joanna I. Tabit of Steptoe and Johnson, the firm which represented Lafferty, indicated a settlement was reached by all parties on Feb. 21, but the agreement was sealed.

A copy of the settlement agreement was obtained by The Register-Herald after filing a Freedom of Information Act with Beckley attorney Chip Williams of the law firm Pullin, Fowler & Flanagan, who represented WVSOM in the lawsuit.

In the settlement, Askari agreed to accept $90,000 and waived all claims against "the defendants and administrators." The agreement also released all parties from any complaints of "gender and ethnicity discrimination ... and complaints concerning the alleged wrongful conduct of Dr. Lafferty."

"This was a blanket release of all claims," Williams said by phone Monday. "And I am not in a position to comment on the veracity of the allegations."

In fact, the settlement expressly denies any monies received by Askari as an admission of guilt by the medical school or Lafferty. The suit was settled out of court after negotiations with the State Board of Risk and Management and all parties involved.

Phone messages left on an answering machine at Lafferty's office in Lewisburg were not immediately returned Monday. Lafferty worked at the medical school from August 2003 until October 2004. WVSOM officials would not disclose the circumstances under which Lafferty left the school in 2004, but the lawsuit stated he was terminated because of his conduct toward Askari.

Messages left for Askari, her attorney Brandon Johnson and Lafferty's attorney Joanna I. Tabit were also not returned Monday.

Interesting to bring up, but there is no need to hide behind an alt. Stand by your posts on your main account.

Although this is to have happened, it was 4 years ago. That's an entire medical class come and gone without having any exposure to the people and persons involved (especially because the professor in question was terminated).

I am eager to hear another media-slanted paper that states the WVSOM side of the argument. This would make things a whole heck of a lot easier.


EDIT: WVSOM had A previous incident. So far I see proof a single other incident. While I'm not doubting that more hasn't occurred, I'm saying that there is no proof of other offenses.
 
Is there any personel vendetta. Let the court decide. The judge will review all the evidences
 
Is there any personel vendetta. Let the court decide. The judge will review all the evidences

Is there a personal vendetta by her? Honestly, that's the way it seems. As just citizens, we have no choice but to "let the court decide" through its due process, but we can also make our own judgments and speculations as to the causes and effects of her actions. Do I believe that there was a personal vendetta by WVSOM to fail her on purpose because she was an annoyance and bothersome to the Dean and his office? No. Do I believe that she and other people should be granted special circumstances in order to practice OMM on people they feel comfortable with? I'm with TT on this one and say no. However, if they allow others to change partners, then she should have been given the same privileges. Do I believe that this is a personal vendetta on her behalf? It sure does seem that way. I am in no way knocking her knowledge or intelligence, but it seems as if she was not cut out for the rigors of medical school and, subsequently, was dismissed.

Overall, I have my own opinions regarding this matter and have voiced them here, under my main (and only) alias. As more information becomes available to us all, I am sure that we will all be able to make a more sound social judgment as to the outcome of this debocal.

Thanks.
 
They are going to have a hard time proving that this was personal. What's likely is that the school will provide numerous examples of Muslim students who have been successful in their program, and that will be a pretty serious blow to her case.
 
Also, how much liability does WVSOM potentially have, now that the courts are forcing them to allow a potentially-incompetent student to rotate at clinical sites?
 
Wow, now that you guys have all the “facts” from two small newspaper articles you have all the information to pass judgment on my intelligence/competence, the school and my case!! I mean everyone knows the media is so accurate and complete in their reporting. Since all of you are WVSOM students, I’m sure you know exactly what went on and why. And for those people telling me to go back to my country, I’m already here. There are other races and religions in the United States aside from White Christians. I think its sad that so many of you can’t comprehend that there are other viewpoints in this world that deserve just as much respect as yours. I really hope all your patients agree with you, because I don’t think you’ll be able to tolerate those that don’t.
 
The school has been around since 1974. Are you the first Muslim to be treated this way, or have they all been systematically purged in the same way, and you are just the first person to speak out about it?

Or are you the only Muslim, in 34 years, to attend the school?
 
Wow, now that you guys have all the “facts” from two small newspaper articles you have all the information to pass judgment on my intelligence/competence, the school and my case!! I mean everyone knows the media is so accurate and complete in their reporting. Since all of you are WVSOM students, I’m sure you know exactly what went on and why. And for those people telling me to go back to my country, I’m already here. There are other races and religions in the United States aside from White Christians. I think its sad that so many of you can’t comprehend that there are other viewpoints in this world that deserve just as much respect as yours. I really hope all your patients agree with you, because I don’t think you’ll be able to tolerate those that don’t.

:bullcrap:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is one of WVSOM's biochemistry lectures that they put online on their website:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6DTOhGgrU[/YOUTUBE]
 
Wow, now that you guys have all the “facts” from two small newspaper articles you have all the information to pass judgment on my intelligence/competence, the school and my case!!

I think everyone has acknowledged the media's ever-present bias.

--What facts are we missing?
--How many classes did you fail?
--How many academic strikes does one get before being "out"?
--Wouldn't the discrimination have started in first year OMM, when you couldn't change partners? If so, then why were legal venues not pursued until nearly 3 years later, upon academic dismissal?
 
Don't let this get ugly folks. This is for discussion of the topic, not attacks.

Sorry Shyrem. I think we are all in a lot of doubt that this really is the student in question. I don't know what to think about this rampant creation of June 2008 created first-time posters, but I can tell you that it is hard to believe that this is her. Most importantly, I would think that she would have more things to deal with in her life (i.e., the upcoming June 30 start date for her clinical rotations; the lawsuit) than to have come on a public forum and debate her side of an already slanted news article.

To the "student" poster: how did this all come to pass? I'm sure we'd love to hear the true side of your story and not the flowery and corrected side of the newspaper.

By the way, you mention two articles detailing yourself. Had you taken the time to read said articles, you would've realized that they both have to do with two different events, both occurring nearly 4 years apart. There is now way they both deal with you. Unless, after an alleged sexual assault and battery you decided to change your name, realized that, after a year away from WVSOM, that you were a masochist, reapplied to WVSOM, was accepted, remitted, passed, failed, realized (again) you were (again) allegedly mistreated, were dismissed, and are now filing another lawsuit... unless that is your story, I don't think that they're both about you.
 
Wow, now that you guys have all the “facts” from two small newspaper articles you have all the information to pass judgment on my intelligence/competence, the school and my case!! I mean everyone knows the media is so accurate and complete in their reporting. Since all of you are WVSOM students, I’m sure you know exactly what went on and why. And for those people telling me to go back to my country, I’m already here. There are other races and religions in the United States aside from White Christians. I think its sad that so many of you can’t comprehend that there are other viewpoints in this world that deserve just as much respect as yours. I really hope all your patients agree with you, because I don’t think you’ll be able to tolerate those that don’t.

Only you and the school know what really happened. I'm sure this is a difficult time for you and I'm sorry that you had to read the judgment of others without the benefit of sharing your own voice. Good luck to you, whatever happens.
 
Also on my point.. I am now certain that neither article was about you RedRose53803. First of all, today is June 30 (the days slipped my mind). You would've been doing your clinical rotations while making this post, so.. yeah. Secondly, people who generally use 5-digit numbers in their alias names fall under 3 categories:

(A) You are the 53803'rd RedRose that SDN has seen
(B) Your birthday is 5/38/03
(C) Your zip code (or an older, but still fresh in memory zip code) is 53803

Since I'm 100% sure there are not 50,000 other people on SDN with RedRose in their alias name, and since there are not 38 days of any month, I'm going to have to lean towards the last on the list. When going to Google and doing some research, I found that 53083 is located in Howard's Grove, Wisconsin. Since the person in the primary article hails from Ohio State University, I will say that I am 95% sure that you are nothing but a stupid impostor. Get the hell away and stop making stupid aliases (i.e., FPMOM, etc).

To the mods: is there no way people like that can be IP banned? I'm sure it's just the same troll over and over again.
 
So she failed her first year, half of her second year, and was dismissed??? Hmm, yeah sounds unfair to me. People need to take responsibility for their life and quit playing 'get out of jail free cards.' 👎
 
LECOM-Bradenton class of 2012

If it is true then you start your Med School in august. So what the hell you know about med education
 
Its 53083, which is a plausible birthday. May 30, 1983.

P.s.....the white christian argument doesn't work with me. Especially since I'm not christian.


I kind of like the people that get all wound up about that stuff and pass wholesale judgements on everyone. You don't agree, therefore you are a white christian male who frowns upon diversity. Damn the man!
 
Since all of you are WVSOM students, I’m sure you know exactly what went on and why. And for those people telling me to go back to my country, I’m already here. There are other races and religions in the United States aside from White Christians. I think its sad that so many of you can’t comprehend that there are other viewpoints in this world that deserve just as much respect as yours. I really hope all your patients agree with you, because I don’t think you’ll be able to tolerate those that don’t.

Were this case truly about intolerance I dont think there would be a single person on SDN not on this girl's side. However, it seems from what we know about the case, she has failed at least 3 courses (probably 4 since she had to repeat 1st year) and was dismissed for academic reasons. Her dismissal has little to do with her race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I dont know what I would do if I were in her position but I would hope I would have the class not make it a race or religion issue when it clearly isnt.
 
LECOM-Bradenton class of 2012

If it is true then you start your Med School in august. So what the hell you know about med education

oh snap! Oh no you didn't!

You act like being a medical student is the only way to know about a medical education. I guess all those phds that teach there know jack since they never went to medical school. It doesn't take a genius to know that failing is bad. Its not like medical school is some unknown realm where tanking a year and then failing stuff the next year is super common.
 
oh snap! Oh no you didn't!

You act like being a medical student is the only way to know about a medical education. I guess all those phds that teach there know jack since they never went to medical school. It doesn't take a genius to know that failing is bad. Its not like medical school is some unknown realm where tanking a year and then failing stuff the next year is super common.



For your information I am a practicing MD (not a DO) in state of New York. If you are a student which you may be you are wayyyy down the road to reach my position
 
LECOM-Bradenton class of 2012

If it is true then you start your Med School in august. So what the hell you know about med education

I like the fake signature. Try putting it below the text next time. I'm quite sure the actual LECOM-B students don't add this to every single one of their posts by hand.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
**** me, this is getting ******ed.

I'm sure that SDN pre-osteo is how most MD attendings spend their free time. Hell, one of my friends that I ride with is an MD attending. We were supposed to go for a bike ride this morning, but she canceled because she had to get caught up on her reading of this board all morning. She had a bunch of people in town for her birthday all weekend, and was unable to keep up with current (pre-osteo) events.
 
Also on my point.. I am now certain that neither article was about you RedRose53803. First of all, today is June 30 (the days slipped my mind). You would've been doing your clinical rotations while making this post, so.. yeah. Secondly, people who generally use 5-digit numbers in their alias names fall under 3 categories:

(A) You are the 53803'rd RedRose that SDN has seen
(B) Your birthday is 5/38/03
(C) Your zip code (or an older, but still fresh in memory zip code) is 53803

Since I'm 100% sure there are not 50,000 other people on SDN with RedRose in their alias name, and since there are not 38 days of any month, I'm going to have to lean towards the last on the list. When going to Google and doing some research, I found that 53083 is located in Howard's Grove, Wisconsin. Since the person in the primary article hails from Ohio State University, I will say that I am 95% sure that you are nothing but a stupid impostor. Get the hell away and stop making stupid aliases (i.e., FPMOM, etc).

To the mods: is there no way people like that can be IP banned? I'm sure it's just the same troll over and over again.

Chillax, you're kind of crossing a line here and taking this way too far. There's a difference between analyzing the merits of someone's argument and coming up with conspiracy theories. Give her the benefit of the doubt, that it is actually her posting. If a lawsuit I filed ever got picked up by the media, I would be all over the internet trying to find out how far it reached. Also, speaking of internet searches, if you use google, you'll clearly discover that that poster IS more than likely the person who filed the lawsuit (PM me if you cannot piece it together). I'll leave it to you to figure this out, because I don't think breaching someone's privacy, especially out in the open, is cool at all.

Also, if she has a good lawyer, she will likely not comment on her side of the story until all is said and done (if she comments at all). There are clearly deficiencies in the newspaper article-- "registering for classes" is different from beginning a clerkship, vagueness about the failures, etc. It's certainly possible that she failed her manipulation class because she did not palpate a dude's pelvis or submit herself for that. However, we will never know! I hope that someone from that medical school comments about this situation to give us more background details.
 
For your information I am a practicing MD (not a DO) in state of New York. If you are a student which you may be you are wayyyy down the road to reach my position


Ok, so you've really taken this way out of hand. I don't care who you are, to be perfectly honest. You sound like the guy that TT and I dealt with on the CourtTV.com website over 9 months ago (was it really that long.. man time flies). Either contribute to the conversation, or shoo, fly. I don't need you flaunting some degree (whether it be real or fake) in this thread. There is no place for that.

Now, if your experience through your medical career was something that you can use to relate to this young woman's experiences, then alright, but please be specific. Since you are an "MD," you cannot say that you have had her specific experiences because you've neither attended WVSOM, nor have you taken an OMT course in your career.

Also, as an "MD" I am shocked to find that your grammar and punctuation skills have left you in such a short amount of time. Not only that, but your lack of tact and intelligence seems to be lacking in your posts, making you seem to be either the most unintelligent person to have made it through medical school, or some rather bored person trolling the interwebs. I'm going to lean towards the later, to be honest with you, but you are free to keep up this facade if you so choose. Just please make it more believable and put in just an ounce of effort: it'd help your case.

Good luck.
 
Chillax, you're kind of crossing a line here and taking this way too far. There's a difference between analyzing the merits of someone's argument and coming up with conspiracy theories. Give her the benefit of the doubt, that it is actually her posting. If a lawsuit I filed ever got picked up by the media, I would be all over the internet trying to find out how far it reached. Also, speaking of internet searches, if you use google, you'll clearly discover that that poster IS more than likely the person who filed the lawsuit (PM me if you cannot piece it together). I'll leave it to you to figure this out, because I don't think breaching someone's privacy, especially out in the open, is cool at all.

Also, if she has a good lawyer, she will likely not comment on her side of the story until all is said and done (if she comments at all). There are clearly deficiencies in the newspaper article-- "registering for classes" is different from beginning a clerkship, vagueness about the failures, etc. It's certainly possible that she failed her manipulation class because she did not palpate a dude's pelvis or submit herself for that. However, we will never know! I hope that someone from that medical school comments about this situation to give us more background details.

google is truly a wonderous tool 🙂
 
Chillax, you're kind of crossing a line here and taking this way too far. There's a difference between analyzing the merits of someone's argument and coming up with conspiracy theories. Give her the benefit of the doubt, that it is actually her posting. If a lawsuit I filed ever got picked up by the media, I would be all over the internet trying to find out how far it reached. Also, speaking of internet searches, if you use google, you'll clearly discover that that poster IS more than likely the person who filed the lawsuit (PM me if you cannot piece it together). I'll leave it to you to figure this out, because I don't think breaching someone's privacy, especially out in the open, is cool at all.

Also, if she has a good lawyer, she will likely not comment on her side of the story until all is said and done (if she comments at all). There are clearly deficiencies in the newspaper article-- "registering for classes" is different from beginning a clerkship, vagueness about the failures, etc. It's certainly possible that she failed her manipulation class because she did not palpate a dude's pelvis or submit herself for that. However, we will never know! I hope that someone from that medical school comments about this situation to give us more background details.

That is where I disagree. Part of any argument is your credibility as a person. If I, as a white male, start ranting about the plight of Asian immigrant workers, specifically female, in Tibet, and begin to interject as if it were MY plight, then I would lose all sorts of credibility. This is the internet, and as such grants everyone a sort of anonymity (ironic that it also relates to your name, but I'll digress) that allows for people to voice their opinions and provide their points of view without fear of being judged or persecuted (except in extreme cases of child pornography, etc). In my humble opinion, it is our place to judge what random people say in a forum discussion about a rather serious allegation presented to us by the media.

If this really is the person in question, then my post was incorrect, but think of it this way: how hard would it be for someone to go onto Google, research something about this person, and create an alias that resembles her? You said it yourself, "if you use google, you'll clearly discover that that poster IS more than likely the person who filed the lawsuit." Was it difficult for you to find? Do you think it'd be far-fetched to think that someone might do such a thing.

I'm not going to be naive and say that it was the person. Hell, how do you know I am who I say I am? How do you know I'm going to LECOM-Bradenton? You don't. You can only trust that, through my posts and the conversations I've had on SDN, my posts are valid. There is no proof, none, zero, that this person is who she/he claims to be.

End.
 
I'm not going to be naive and say that it was the person. Hell, how do you know I am who I say I am? How do you know I'm going to LECOM-Bradenton? You don't. You can only trust that, through my posts and the conversations I've had on SDN, my posts are valid. There is no proof, none, zero, that this person is who she/he claims to be.

So what does it cost to give her the benefit of the doubt and not label her a troll?
 
So what does it cost to give her the benefit of the doubt and not label her a troll?

Corroborating evidence, a timeline, or maybe something that just makes sense. Let's bring up the post again.

Wow, now that you guys have all the “facts” from two small newspaper articles you have all the information to pass judgment on my intelligence/competence, the school and my case!! I mean everyone knows the media is so accurate and complete in their reporting. Since all of you are WVSOM students, I’m sure you know exactly what went on and why. And for those people telling me to go back to my country, I’m already here. There are other races and religions in the United States aside from White Christians. I think its sad that so many of you can’t comprehend that there are other viewpoints in this world that deserve just as much respect as yours. I really hope all your patients agree with you, because I don’t think you’ll be able to tolerate those that don’t.

First of all, this was posted at 11:48 AM local time in West Virginia. Now, I am not a medical student, so I have no clue as to exactly when rotations start (since that seems to be one theory that has been presented here). I would assume, however, that, if she is, in fact, doing her rotations, she would not have the time to stop, sit down, read over all of the posts prior to hers, formulate a thought, and post, while still dealing with the rigors of a clincial rotation day, especially day one. Secondly, from what I have heard from fellow students about clinicals, you spend all of your time either learning hands-on, or reading as much as possible about the information you are being presented so that you can further your knowledge. I cannot imagine her first day being entirely too demanding, but I would expect that it wouldn't allot her any free computer time to lurk through the internet. Then comes her amazing creation and first post today. Am I the only one that sees it as ironic?

It's all rather hard for me to believe. Call me a hardass, do whatever you please. However, I have seen many true faces that lurk behind the internet in my life, and I know that trust is not something you deal out lightly, especially during serious discussions.
 
Ok, so you've really taken this way out of hand. I don't care who you are, to be perfectly honest. You sound like the guy that TT and I dealt with on the CourtTV.com website over 9 months ago (was it really that long.. man time flies). Either contribute to the conversation, or shoo, fly. I don't need you flaunting some degree (whether it be real or fake) in this thread. There is no place for that.

Now, if your experience through your medical career was something that you can use to relate to this young woman's experiences, then alright, but please be specific. Since you are an "MD," you cannot say that you have had her specific experiences because you've neither attended WVSOM, nor have you taken an OMT course in your career.

Also, as an "MD" I am shocked to find that your grammar and punctuation skills have left you in such a short amount of time. Not only that, but your lack of tact and intelligence seems to be lacking in your posts, making you seem to be either the most unintelligent person to have made it through medical school, or some rather bored person trolling the interwebs. I'm going to lean towards the later, to be honest with you, but you are free to keep up this facade if you so choose. Just please make it more believable and put in just an ounce of effort: it'd help your case.

Good luck.

It shows your inner color and if you are intelligent why you are not in Harvard or even Ohio State for say
 
doesn't matter, I am a physician and you are not. All other things are BS
 
Then comes her amazing creation and first post today. Am I the only one that sees it as ironic?

Perhaps she's been posting on SDN all along as a regular poster, but now that her real name and identity has been divulged, she chose to create another name to defend herself so that her SDN name won't be marred by whatever people read about her real identity.

My thing is, what does it cost YOU to just give her the benefit of the doubt? How is your life changed by not attacking her, whether or not it's an imposter? If it's someone pretending to be her, how does it affect you? If it really is her, then you're targeting a person who is already down and is trying desperately to crawl her way out of a bad situation.

Having your story posted for all to judge without being able to come out and defend yourself is truly horrible. I have no trouble imagining this young woman snagged an alias to make a post and somehow, some way, found the time to do it. I don't think it's asking too much to suggest that since we have no way of knowing for sure, let's err on the side of caution and show her some kindness right now. I'm not saying we have to believe her allegations; just not attack her. Whatever you may think of her, I doubt anyone could argue that she's probably facing one of the most challenging times of her life.
 
doesn't matter, I am a physician and you are not. All other things are BS

You got me. I'll get back to you in four years and then we'll talk. I've always wanted to visit New York City. Maybe we can catch a Broadway play. Hopefully "Into the Woods" will be back.
 
You got me. I'll get back to you in four years and then we'll talk. I've always wanted to visit New York City. Maybe we can catch a Broadway play. Hopefully "Into the Woods" will be back.


After four years you are looking for a residency So we are talking 7-8 years from now
 
Perhaps she's been posting on SDN all along as a regular poster, but now that her real name and identity has been divulged, she chose to create another name to defend herself so that her SDN name won't be marred by whatever people read about her real identity.

My thing is, what does it cost YOU to just give her the benefit of the doubt? How is your life changed by not attacking her, whether or not it's an imposter? If it's someone pretending to be her, how does it affect you? If it really is her, then you're targeting a person who is already down and is trying desperately to crawl her way out of a bad situation.

Having your story posted for all to judge without being able to come out and defend yourself is truly horrible. I have no trouble imagining this young woman snagged an alias to make a post and somehow, some way, found the time to do it. I don't think it's asking too much to suggest that since we have no way of knowing for sure, let's err on the side of caution and show her some kindness right now. Whatever you may think of her, I doubt anyone could argue that she's probably facing one of the most challenging times of her life.

Have you ever heard the saying "ignorance is bliss?" Sure you have. We all have. However, I disagree. That seems to be a prevailing theme with me, but I'll continue.

When society was ignorant to how diseases attacked the human body, the flu was as deadly as meningitis. Today, we can treat both. When society was ignorant to how weather ran its course, they created deities and demi-gods to explain them. Today, we teach elementary school children about the various types of clouds and how they interact with moisture to create weather. When society was ignorant almost 100 years ago about who committed a crime, they put it into the "unsolved cases" folder. Today, we have forensics and other ways of determining who did what by a simple piece of DNA.

How did all of these revelations come to pass? People questioned the norm. Now, I'm not saying that I am going to cure diseases, discover how weather works, or solve a mysterious death, but I am saying that questioning validity makes us as a society less ignorant. Ignorance only begets more ignorance. If we were to teach our children things that were blatantly false (omitting fairy tales such as Santa and the like) only to make them more ignorant about the world, are we doing our society justice? Are we really making this world a better place? Sure, this one particular scenario does not determine the outcome of the future, but it does set a precedent. We should all be questioning what we hear.

Just my opinion, but it's the way I live my life. If you want to believe the person outright, then so be it. I can't change your mind, I can only do what I know to be right for me.
 
After four years you are looking for a residency So we are talking 7-8 years from now

Well, if you want to delve into my future plans, it's more like 12 years, but I'm simply talking about when I'll be classified as a physician. If you want to wait until I'm a specialist, then I'll have to keep in touch. Are you saying you want to be pen pals?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is where I disagree. Part of any argument is your credibility as a person. If I, as a white male, start ranting about the plight of Asian immigrant workers, specifically female, in Tibet, and begin to interject as if it were MY plight, then I would lose all sorts of credibility. This is the internet, and as such grants everyone a sort of anonymity (ironic that it also relates to your name, but I'll digress) that allows for people to voice their opinions and provide their points of view without fear of being judged or persecuted (except in extreme cases of child pornography, etc). In my humble opinion, it is our place to judge what random people say in a forum discussion about a rather serious allegation presented to us by the media.

If this really is the person in question, then my post was incorrect, but think of it this way: how hard would it be for someone to go onto Google, research something about this person, and create an alias that resembles her? You said it yourself, "if you use google, you'll clearly discover that that poster IS more than likely the person who filed the lawsuit." Was it difficult for you to find? Do you think it'd be far-fetched to think that someone might do such a thing.

I'm not going to be naive and say that it was the person. Hell, how do you know I am who I say I am? How do you know I'm going to LECOM-Bradenton? You don't. You can only trust that, through my posts and the conversations I've had on SDN, my posts are valid. There is no proof, none, zero, that this person is who she/he claims to be.

End.

Actually, you are wrong about the possibility of someone going on google to find something out about her and creating an alias that would be connected to her, because the likelihood of that is infinitesimally small given what the information is. That is not naiveté, that is having a high degree of certainty based on some information. Since you did not accept my PM offer, I will assume you are a naturally untrusting, paranoid personality-- or at the very least obstreperously rigid in your unwillingness to entertain the idea that you could be wrong. It's too bad you've had no time as a medical student yet, or you'd have been exposed to all sorts of things about pretest probabilities and certainty, and generating a differential diagnosis based on likelihood (and most importantly modifying that based on new information!). Not all possibilities are likely, and certainly the ones you propose fail Occam's razor and are pretty much off the map.

To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of LECOM-Bradenton, and I'm sure most of the nation has not either. Does that mean it does not exist? Blah, I'm done with your ridiculous argument. I think you need to move away from the concrete thinking and paranoia, because it is leading you down a path of slippery slopes right now.
 
Have you ever heard the saying "ignorance is bliss?" Sure you have. We all have. However, I disagree. That seems to be a prevailing theme with me, but I'll continue.

When society was ignorant to how diseases attacked the human body, the flu was as deadly as meningitis. Today, we can treat both. When society was ignorant to how weather ran its course, they created deities and demi-gods to explain them. Today, we teach elementary school children about the various types of clouds and how they interact with moisture to create weather. When society was ignorant almost 100 years ago about who committed a crime, they put it into the "unsolved cases" folder. Today, we have forensics and other ways of determining who did what by a simple piece of DNA.

How did all of these revelations come to pass? People questioned the norm. Now, I'm not saying that I am going to cure diseases, discover how weather works, or solve a mysterious death, but I am saying that questioning validity makes us as a society less ignorant. Ignorance only begets more ignorance. If we were to teach our children things that were blatantly false (omitting fairy tales such as Santa and the like) only to make them more ignorant about the world, are we doing our society justice? Are we really making this world a better place? Sure, this one particular scenario does not determine the outcome of the future, but it does set a precedent. We should all be questioning what we hear.

Just my opinion, but it's the way I live my life. If you want to believe the person outright, then so be it. I can't change your mind, I can only do what I know to be right for me.

Yeah, and I've also heard of times in our history when questioning innocent people was a way for government to flex their muscles and be a big-shot. If you want to get all philosophical about it, there's your analogy.

I maintain that this is an Internet message board where a group of people have decided to comment on a media article by judging -- and in some cases, attacking -- a woman we know nothing about. Someone is claiming to be the woman in question and has come out to defend herself. If questioning her in a way that makes her the target of even more criticism is your way of bettering society, then I guess that speaks to your motives, but it doesn't sit well with me.

My philosophy has always been to question what doesn't seem right in a tactful and considerate way, keeping in mind that just because it doesn't add up in my mind doesn't mean that others are being devious or conniving. I also subscribe to the notion of not piling on, not ganging up on someone or kicking them when they're down just because it's the cool thing to do, of understanding that the person you're speaking to is a human being and if she is who she says she is (and you have no way of knowing that she isn't), the things you say about her have the potential to do damage and no amount of grandstanding is justification for that.

My point is, your comments, in my opinion, have done much more harm than good, regardless of who the poster is.

But I guess we disagree.
 
So she failed her first year, half of her second year, and was dismissed??? Hmm, yeah sounds unfair to me. People need to take responsibility for their life and quit playing 'get out of jail free cards.' 👎


Couldn't have summed it up better
 
Actually, you are wrong about the possibility of someone going on google to find something out about her and creating an alias that would be connected to her, because the likelihood of that is infinitesimally small given what the information is. That is not naiveté, that is having a high degree of certainty based on some information. Since you did not accept my PM offer, I will assume you are a naturally untrusting, paranoid personality-- or at the very least obstreperously rigid in your unwillingness to entertain the idea that you could be wrong. It's too bad you've had no time as a medical student yet, or you'd have been exposed to all sorts of things about pretest probabilities and certainty, and generating a differential diagnosis based on likelihood (and most importantly modifying that based on new information!). Not all possibilities are likely, and certainly the ones you propose fail Occam's razor and are pretty much off the map.

To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of LECOM-Bradenton, and I'm sure most of the nation has not either. Does that mean it does not exist? Blah, I'm done with your ridiculous argument. I think you need to move away from the concrete thinking and paranoia, because it is leading you down a path of slippery slopes right now.

Well since I have become the ever popular focus of a few individuals in this thread I will be brief as to answer all of my messages. First of all, I didn't care about your PM request because, as I said:

If this really is the person in question, then my post was incorrect...

I have no problem with being wrong or incorrect, I'd just like some more proof than a simple quirk about her. If the chance that people correlate this information is "infinitesimally small," then how in the world were you able to come across it? It must've been equally as hard to locate as it was to connect to her.

Continuing, I am open to hearing more that would conclude that this person is, in fact, who they say they are, but one tiny fact about a person does not give them a direct correlation to their identity. If you want to look at your one fact, and I don't care if her SDN alias is the same as her AIM screen name or hotmail account, and make it the end-all argument, then do so. However, if you were able to find whatever it was on the internet with your limited proficiencies, then I am sure there are other people equally, if not more capable, as you.

Next, your comment about LECOM-Bradenton is rather snyde, don't you think? Have you heard of LECOM before? If you haven't heard of their sister campus, well then that's enough. LECOM-B just graduated their first medical class this past June. Congrats to them. I'm sure they could care less about your awarness of the campus.

Lastly, I don't see how this correlates to paranoia. Questioning the world and being paranoid are two different ways of perceiving the way things are. If you think about it, your medical analogy is exactly what I am doing, but I am just using as many facts as I can, and you're still lingering on one miniscule fact that happened to find on the internet.

Maybe, after this is all said and done, I'll create an alternate alias and pretend to be Dustin Hoffman. I'm sure there's plenty of information about him on the internet that can give some insight as to how he would act online.
 
ext, your comment about LECOM-Bradenton is rather snyde, don't you think? Have you heard of LECOM before? If you haven't heard of their sister campus, well then that's enough. LECOM-B just graduated their first medical class this past June. Congrats to them. I'm sure they could care less about your awarness of the campus.


Now I understand. Small place inflated ego
 
Status
Not open for further replies.