WVSOM versus KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want your insight on these two schools. Which one would you attend? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

I want your insight on these two schools. Which one would you attend? Why?

WV is extremely expensive and in a tiny town, though it is a very good school, some of our anatomy professors taught there when it started. 3 students have rotated from each at my base hospital for IM, and the WV students were much more competent. That is all that I know. I dont even know where KCOM is.

Both schools are in the middle of nowhere, but only one of them wants you to stay and practice in the middle of nowhere (WVSOM). So, unless you want to end up in the West Virginia area, go to KCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have some rule regarding that?

Of course there isn't a rule about that.

You can practice anywhere in the country just like with any other medical school. I'm not sure what that dude's talking about.

I guess my post was bit dramatic.
Of course it isn't a rule; I just remember looking at their match list and thinking there was a hell of a lot of WV and surrounding areas.

I couldn't find WVSOM match list. Do you have a link to a recent list? WVSOM is pretty expensive.

If you want to do primary care go to WV. If you want to do something competitive go to KCOM.

No.

You can reach competitive residencies from any school in the country; it's all about the work a student is willing to put in.

KCOM s - oldest D.O. school in the world, cheaper, has a larger alumni base and has rotations all over the country

WVSOM- great school but too expensive unless instate.

If you want to do primary care go to WV. If you want to do something competitive go to KCOM.

Not so true. WVSOM has a good amount going into ENT,optho, ortho, gen surg, derm,and uro if you look at their match lists.

As an out of state student for both schools, the difference in total cost doesn't seems that great. They both have 45k to 49k tuition. Of course the other costs are variable.

Not so true. WVSOM has a good amount going into ENT,optho, ortho, gen surg, derm,and uro if you look at their match lists.

For the most part at a bunch of AOA community based programs. Not really any competitive specialties outside of AOA. May not be a problem for some people but if you want to live in the NE, SE, or west coast for residency I would consider this a major negative.

For the most part at a bunch of AOA community based programs. Not really any competitive specialties outside of AOA. May not be a problem for some people but if you want to live in the NE, SE, or west coast for residency I would consider this a major negative.

So where you do your residency plays a role in where you get hired you're saying?

I'm pretty sure there is no correlation between which DO school you go to and which residency you can get into. It all depends on YOU and if you get good grades, board scores and do some research during med school. The DO match happened this morning, and there are people in our class who have matched into Derm, ortho, ophtho, ENT/facial plastics, gen surg and ER. Just work hard during school and try to distinguish yourself on paper from other students in your class.

I'm pretty sure there is no correlation between which DO school you go to and which residency you can get into. It all depends on YOU and if you get good grades, board scores and do some research during med school. The DO match happened this morning, and there are people in our class who have matched into Derm, ortho, ophtho, ENT/facial plastics, gen surg and ER. Just work hard during school and try to distinguish yourself on paper from other students in your class.

This is partly true. I definitely agree with the point of your post.

KCOM is one of the best DO schools in the nation and has an alumni base that is huge. The benefit to this is that when you are applying to residency, the chance that someone important within the residency went to KCOM is much better than for WVSOM and KCOM grads are going to have a preference for KCOM grads. So while it might be small in some places, it might be huge in others. OP if you are truly torn between those two and you weren't leaning one way or the other prior to this thread, my vote would be KCOM. If you have support or you would rather go to WVSOM for any reason at all, go there because you will likely be much more successful.

KCOM is one of the best DO schools in the nation and has an alumni base that is huge. The benefit to this is that when you are applying to residency, the chance that someone important within the residency went to KCOM is much better than for WVSOM and KCOM grads are going to have a preference for KCOM grads.

fyi, WVSOM has been around since 1974. Not quite as long as KCOM, but it didn't just pop up within the last few years, so it has a pretty large alumni base itself.