WVU requiring internship for DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from West Virginia University that I don't qualify to apply since I haven't done an internship year first. They are a 3 year program. Are they like Michigan where all osteopathic student have to do an internship in order to appy even though it's a 3 year program for all allopathic students?

And just to avoid the "go search SDN before you post" post - I did and couldn't find the answer.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

And just to avoid the "go search SDN before you post" post - I did and couldn't find the answer.
Any thoughts?

I don't know the answer, but I give you props for searching, even though yours is a question that I would have guessed hasn't been answered before, and isn't one of the multitudes of basic, banal, beaten in to the ground questions that ignorant or apathetic users ask ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

Awww, I'm touched!
What frustrates me the most is that this info isn't available and not posted on the AOA or UVW website so it's hard to know this before applying. I'm making calls to the AOA today to try to find an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with WV being one of the "famous 5" that require you to have internship to be licensed. The issue did not come up when I was applying in Florida or Pennsylvania. When I interviewed at these places they just made sure that I understood that I wouldn't be able to practice in the state after residency or moonlight during residency. But they seemed more than willing to take non-internship DO's. I wonder if they are being biased against you because you won't be able to practice in the state when you finish? :confused: Did you ask the program director or coordinator? Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

The vast majority of 1st year EM curriculums are the same. I know that at SUNY Upstate several of my seniors and previous grads have been able to have our intern year counted for a rotating internship. I would check to see if the intern year at your institution of choice will qualify. This is the route that I am taking. That way, you do not have to spend an extra year, and you will be able to practice in the "special 5".....if you want to.

I talked with the AOA dept that deals with Resolution 41 and she said they've gotten plenty of apps from people in the state of WV but couldn't say specifically for EM.
She also said that they get plenty from Michigan. I thought it was mandatory to do an internship in MI before applying to those programs and that Res 41 wasn't an option.
I'm royally confused now.

The best answer would come from the programs themselves. Even if they have a messed up interpretation of, it is still their opinion that counts when it comes to accepting applicants.

the answer is "yes" the program requires an internship for DOs. i am not affiliated with the EM program, but this is from knowing people in the program, and knowing DOs that are doing internships and applying for EM next year. that being said, they are not at all snobby about taking DOs, and there are several in the program now. and i think it goes without saying that you have a leg up on everyone else during your "second" intern year when you are in the ED with the new incoming class, for what it's worth.