Wyoming Distemper Outbreak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121503589.html

Anyone seen this article? It popped up this morning. Summary: Some guy breeding dogs sells them to local pet stores, causes a distemper outbreak, and no shelters will take his dogs because THEY HAVE DISTEMPER. They also couldn't be sold anymore, obviously, so he loses his income, can't care for the dogs, and the end result is that nearly 1200 dogs in his kennel are euthanized. And however many more died before that.

The best part is that he'll be allowed to open back up for business in 6 months if he follows regulations.

There's a vaccine for this. Distemper does NOT have to be something dogs die from every day.

Members don't see this ad.

Well from the article he ran out of money, which somehow led up to the outbreak (I guess poor sanitation?), so he couldn't have afforded vaccines anyhow.

But yah, you can't fix stupid. Puppy milling? Stupid.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well from the article he ran out of money, which somehow led up to the upbreak (I guess poor sanitation?), so he couldn't have afforded vaccines anyhow.

But yah, you can't fix stupid. Puppy milling? Stupid.

The impression I got is that his dogs had distemper, so the kennel was quarantined, so he couldn't sell puppies, THEN he ran out of money. Which incurs significantly less sympathy. Either way, what a mess. There's no reason he should have had 1200 dogs in the first place, and the fact that the whole debacle resulted in them all being euthanized is just insane.

Agreed. As has been mentioned, distemper is preventable by vaccination. If all the adults were properly vaccinated, and if good husbandry were practiced so the dogs were not excessively stressed, then significant herd immunity should have existed. There may have been a few individual cases within the population, but an outbreak should not happen unless something bizarre happened like a mutated viral strain that wasn't well covered by standard vaccines. Under the circumstances, I'm going to blame improper vaccination and poor husbandry unless evidence emerges to demonstrate that something else was responsible for this event.

Agreed. I can't believe how horrible and negligent some can be...nor that he can reopen. That's unacceptable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121503589.html

Anyone seen this article? It popped up this morning. Summary: Some guy breeding dogs sells them to local pet stores, causes a distemper outbreak, and no shelters will take his dogs because THEY HAVE DISTEMPER. They also couldn't be sold anymore, obviously, so he loses his income, can't care for the dogs, and the end result is that nearly 1200 dogs in his kennel are euthanized. And however many more died before that.

The best part is that he'll be allowed to open back up for business in 6 months if he follows regulations.

There's a vaccine for this. Distemper does NOT have to be something dogs die from every day.
No we see how much work we have to do as future DVMs medicine is not always the answer sometimes its as simple as education !

1,200 dog breeding kennel?! Sounds like the very definition of a mill to me...