X ray reading resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Othello

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency interviews coming up in a few weeks. Any resources out there for x ray reads?

Currently using school resources but would like additional material to practice with. Preferably with an impression to compare my reads when friends are not available.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep it simple, don't over read it, stick with pertinent findings. If it's a foot with obvious gas, then you know where it's heading and don't go off tangent looking at that foot's HAV or hammertoes. If it's an obvious ankle fracture, state exactly what you see, no need to add fluff. Schools teach you complicated ways of reading XR, typically by an old school DPM that never touched an ankle fracture.

Reactions: 2 users
Good advice above. It is a good to be systematic (for interviews and in practice) but you don't need to say everything as you scan... that makes it look like you are lost and just buying time. Go smoothly proximal to distal, bones then soft tissue then maybe pertinent align/angles, classification, etc once you've found the pathology. They usually just want diagnosis from the XR and then will move on to treatments.

The top thing is always get as much history as they will give you. Keep asking questions until they stop you or say they won't give that info. They will usually at least say wound or puncture (so look for osteo, gas, etc) or say injury (look for fx, disloc, etc) or you will see it's peds (coalition, neoplasm, etc). The elective stuff (RA, flat foot, HAV, etc) will typically be pretty obvious. If they give no history or you are stuck, just take your time and just scan systematically. I had one with macrodactly hallux plain XR that was tough, but I picked it up (took a min since I scanned prox to distal).... he told me over half the interviewees had missed that one (and they don't let you proceed to tx and surgery part of that case if you don't get dx).

Obviously, unless it is blatantly bad fixation and they are clearly showing a complication, don't ever criticize the surgery post-op XRs even if it is three fibula tightropes and a medial mall k-wire and or ex-fix for Weil and hammertoe or something wacky. It is likely a case from the interviewer or an attending from the program, so just be aware of that. Plus, surgery isn't easy and some people are quite proud of their total first MPJ or some "masterpiece" that other F&A surgeons would consider a hand turkey drawn in crayon.

orthobullets is good and has a lot of xrays to look at... mostly trauma but also some other elective F&A stuff.

Last edited: