Xavier Theology/ Philosophy Classes Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccn042000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the Xavier COP website...

15. Must the required courses in theology/religion and philosophy be taken at Xavier University?
Transfer credit for theology/religion and philosophy courses will be accepted if the courses taken are equivalent to those offered by Xavier University. Theology/Religion courses submitted for transfer credit must be taken through an institution’s Theology or Religion Department. A general ethics course will not substitute for Health Ethics (PHIL 2400). The course must be equivalent to a bio-medical or health ethics course taught in a Philosophy Department.

So I want to take these classes at a community college in Texas, but both classes are taught under the Humanities dept. I really dont want to waste money taking these classes at a university especially since I have a bs already. How do they know what dept teaches it? As far as I know the transcript only tells the name of the class and my grade. What gives? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If the course shows up on your transcript as "REL 1001" or "THEO 1001," for example, then you shouldn't have any problem for the theology class (or whatever your CC has its religion/theology classes listed under. The ethics class should say "PHIL 2025," or whatever your CC's philosophy dept.'s letters are. They want to make sure you are taking bioethics/biomedical ethics and not a generalized philosophy ethics class. They were pretty lax about the theology requirement for me as long as it was a religion class. I took Eastern Religions and a special topics Religion and Music class. They said either one of those would work because they were religion courses.

On a side note, if you're from TX, are you applying to TX pharmacy schools too? Most of them seem like better colleges than Xavier, the NAPLEX passing rates are higher, and it would be cheaper for you assuming you're a TX resident right? I'm not trying to dictate what you should do, by any means. Just my $0.02. You can see in the other XULA threads my reasons for thinking so, and I'm sure you will agree with at least some of them judging from the phone call about the above issue you described.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would prefer to stay in texas, but I also want to apply to several schools to improve my chances. Besides three year schools thats one of the few out of state schools im considering.

Contemporary Moral Problems
This course provides an overview of historical and recent ethics theory and concepts, and an examination of
contemporary moral issues and dilemmas, such as abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment, affirmative action,
animal rights and gender relationships. Emphasis is given to the relationship between theory and practice.

*Is this the equivalent course that will satisfy Xavier's Phil 2400 (Health Ethics/Bioethics) prerequisite?