xmas lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjb305

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so being the poor soon-to-be med student that i am, i am sadly resorting to asking for some med school stuff for xmas..
so for all you med students out there.. what are some things you could ask for xmas instead of having to wait for financial aid to buy them?? any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Starbucks gift cards?

I want nothing to do with med school for Christmas.

I want to go snowboarding, so all I'm asking for is Wisconsin to develop some mountains.

I also have to study on Christmas.

Any kind of equipment is good...you definitely need a stethoscope. Professional clothing is good to have if you don't currently own any.

Members don't see this ad :)
professional clothing, professional clothing, professional clothing...male or female it's hard to have enough, especially if you're starting nearly from scratch.

stethoscope and other equipment I wouldn't necessarily trust to family members to buy unless they're medical professionals. Plus most of the other equipment (oto/ophthalmoscope, tuning fork, tendon hammer, etc) you should wait to see if your school even requires you to have those as a first and second year.

Definitely professional clothing....nice pants, dress shirts, ties, COMFORTABLE dress shoes. Probably a little early to get any books but a couple that I could recommend would be Netter's Anatomy Atlas and Physiology by Costanzo.

Do you know where you are going to school yet? You could try contacting someone there regarding expensive items needed for first year.

yea i'm goin to cinci and 2 of my roommates are current students there so i'll ask them.. but yea professional clothing is something i have NONE of haha and i totally didn't even think of that

I want a new lab coat, the old one was a crappy last minute buy and is missing a few buttons and covered in formaldehyde and man.
Anyone got any good recommendations for a nice new coat? I really don't mind spending some money on it and it's important that it's of good quality, has some useful features and looks rather sharp. I currently live in the Czech Republic so any links to web shops that send overseas are highly appreciated!

I want a new lab coat, the old one was a crappy last minute buy and is missing a few buttons and covered in formaldehyde and man.
Anyone got any good recommendations for a nice new coat? I really don't mind spending some money on it and it's important that it's of good quality, has some useful features and looks rather sharp. I currently live in the Czech Republic so any links to web shops that send overseas are highly appreciated!

When I lived in England, I looked up places online that shipped from England for lab classes, since I didn't take mine with me. I think I yahoo'd "lab coat." Google should be helpful.

And, OP, professional clothes would be very handy -- maybe like a gift certificate to Nordstroms, Banana Republic, Express. I basically had to buy a new wardrobe (of clothes I hate wearing) when I started med school.

You likely won't need a lab coat for anything. We wear scrubs in anatomy and the school provides surgical gowns that we can wear over top. It'll just get yucky in gross lab and you'll want to throw it away afterwards. Trust me, no one is looking at each other's snazzy lab gear, so an expensive lab coat is not necessary. Even our professors don't wear them in lab. They just wear scrubs.

I second the DRESS CLOTHES. If you are straight out of undergrad you will need to stock up on dress shirts, khakis, dress pants, ties (for men) and blouses (for women). Oh, and COMFORTABLE dress shoes. You have to dress professionally every time you wear your white coat, so you will need dress clothes starting in year 1.

Unless you have a medical professional in your family, wait on the stethoscope. Don't buy the other equipment at all.

A gift card to amazon.com would be great because you don't know which texts you'll want to buy. Some people don't buy any, I buy most of them but I get them used via ebay or amazon private sellers. Amazon.com is great because you can buy them new from amazon or used through their seller marketplace.

A gift card for Office Depot will also never go to waste. Massive quantities of highlighters and pens make great stocking stuffers.

My husband and I request only gift cards to local restaurants. We love eating out but the med school budget doesn't provide much extra, so our great splurges are through restaurant gift cards.

If you plan on getting a laptop for school, try and get your family members to all buy gift cards at the same place (say, Best Buy). Tell them that they are contributing to your Med School laptop fund. That might induce even those relatives that are reluctant to buy gift cards to help out with $$ rather than buying you another ugly sweater.

so being the poor soon-to-be med student that i am, i am sadly resorting to asking for some med school stuff for xmas..
so for all you med students out there.. what are some things you could ask for xmas instead of having to wait for financial aid to buy them?? any thoughts?

Definitely agree with the others that professional clothes are a good idea. Starbucks giftcards are also handy. Coffeemaker if you are a coffee drinker is not a bad idea along with a nice, sturdy travel mug-- buying coffee every day really adds up.

In all honesty, I'd hold off on the equipment, including the stethescope unless you're going to pick it out and then have someone else buy it. You definitely want to try out whatever you're going to buy because all of that stuff is expensive. Waiting until med school is sometimes better because then you can get the advice of upperclassmen as to what equipment is best suited for you. Also, vendors often come to the med schools and give group discounts.

Gift cards are a waste of money. Just take the cash and use it as a gift card to anywhere.

This part is what really gets me:
"One in four gift card recipients last year still hadn't used their cards when polled in an October 2008 Consumer Reports survey. TowerGroup estimated that $8 billion of the $97 billion in gift cards sold last year hasn't been spent."
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...nline/why-gift-cards-are-such-a-bad-idea.aspx

Gift cards are a waste of money. Just take the cash and use it as a gift card to anywhere.

"One in four gift card recipients last year still hadn't used their cards when polled in an October 2008 Consumer Reports survey. TowerGroup estimated that $8 billion of the $97 billion in gift cards sold last year hasn't been spent."
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...nline/why-gift-cards-are-such-a-bad-idea.aspx

yea but i always use all of my gift cards.. i never waste them

Members don't see this ad :)

I saw this too. Now so many companies are going out of business and their gift cards are worth $0. I heard an interview on NPR with some lady that had $2000 of gift cards she was "saving up" at the Sharper Image. Then they went belly up. Who are these people that don't use their gift cards? I always use mine.

Asking for money probably is a better idea with this economy. :thumbup:

yea but i always use all of my gift cards.. i never waste them

I guess you getting gift cards is not the problem. But in general they are a huge waste of money (billions of dollars since last year). I say don't give them as gifts. Either give cash or find a better gift to give.

At my school, you really don't need dress clothes until 3/4 year. I'm not talking casual nice, I'm talking office wear. No dress code or anything.

So, If I were entering 1st year next year (which I am assuming the OP is doing), knowing what I know now, I would ask for:

1. Coffee machine (if you don't have one). Starbucks and local shops are nice every now and then, but it adds up, especially if you're on a tight budget.

2. Gloves, nitrile, in your size, probably 3-4 boxes.

3. Scrubs for anatomy lab (we were provided w/ white coats for lab and I never use mine).

4. Laptop. I have a tablet PC and use it for notes, but at the very least, you need a good laptop. And if you're parents spoil you - bonus!

5. Ipod/mp3 player. You probably have this, but if not, it's a good thing to have, esp. during study, cadaver dissection, working out, etc.

6. Binders, section inserts, paper for when you take notes by hand and to place your printouts. 3-hole punch, stapler, GOOD pens/pencils, paper clips, and those big clips that hold packets together (good for sectioning off where you are in your semester notes).

7. Dissection tools: blunt-nosed probe, rat-tooth tongs, skin tongs, scissors, etc. You can buy a dissection kit for 30 bucks or so with all the necessities.

8. A good-sized insulated lunch bag. There are days I spend 12+ hours on campus and I don't have the cash to eat out all the time.

9. Get cozy blankets and pillows for your bed. You'll thank me after a long night of dissecting.

Do NOT worry about textbooks. You will likely not use many of them, and your school's med library will have copies of them and older editions (with the same info) you can check out.

Do NOT worry about recording your lectures. You likely won't have time to replay and listen to every recorded lecture.

That's all I've got for now.

Thanks for posting this. I'm also starting med school next fall, and my family is pretty financially strapped. So, I'll be asking for med school stuff for Christmas.

So far, I've just asked for stuff to put in my apartment since it will be unfurnished. Going to Jefferson.

I second the coffee maker. My family bought me this crazy nespresso espresso machine and automatic milk frother thingy that has seriously improved my medstudent life. I buy enough coffee capsules to get thru the semester. The thing is so automated that I really don't need to be there mentally to operate it. And it keeps me from buying overpriced crappy coffee at starbucks etc so it even saves me money.

If you have a favorite type of pen/highlighter etc you can stock up on those. I go thru pens like nobody's business these days.

Dress clothes are a must if you don't have any. You'll need a few professional outfits for first year if you have any clinical exposure at your school. Preferably things that can be washed at home and that don't need ironing.

A good laptop if you don't have one. A smartphone. An ipod with noise canceling earbuds.

A crockpot for easy cooking.

Definitely professional clothing....nice pants, dress shirts, ties, COMFORTABLE dress shoes. Probably a little early to get any books but a couple that I could recommend would be Netter's Anatomy Atlas and Physiology by Costanzo.

Do you know where you are going to school yet? You could try contacting someone there regarding expensive items needed for first year.

Best comment ever. Jefferson gave me a whole list of stuff to ask for.

To the students recommending coffee makers and gift cards:

Did you start drinking coffee before med school or during? I hardly ever drink coffee so I wouldn't really want to ask for a coffee maker...I just noticed a lot of you mentioned it.

My parents offered to buy me a new laptop (My parents are really nice) but I head some schools give them out to students and it goes down as one of the schools fees. Not sure how accurate my memory is though, so some anecdotal evidence would be nice :)

1. I'd make sure that the schools you are accepted to and considering going to are giving you one from now so that if that's not the case your parents can get one.

2. Even if they do give you one, it might not be your top choice lap top. If your parents are willing to get you what you want then I'd still get it from them.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Did you start drinking coffee before med school or during? I hardly ever drink coffee so I wouldn't really want to ask for a coffee maker...I just noticed a lot of you mentioned it.

My parents offered to buy me a new laptop (My parents are really nice) but I head some schools give them out to students and it goes down as one of the schools fees. Not sure how accurate my memory is though, so some anecdotal evidence would be nice :)

I've been drinking coffee for years. If you prefer tea, ask for a nice tea pot or something. There are some great teas with lots of caffeine. I alternate between coffee and tea a lot.

I never drink coffee, but I do like starbucks tea, hot chocolate, and strawberry frapuccinos. I got an electric tea kettle for my apartment and a good travel mug (Oxo) which I love.

My parents bought me a laptop my M2 year after my one from college died, and my dad put the stuff I wanted on it.

I want nothing but COMFORTABLE shoes for everyday work.The shoes should look plain,not too fancy to attractive the attending or nurse head.They often criticize students' unappropriate dress. Now I am wearing jogging shoes.Quite casual.

White coat...I sew the buttons up of my white coat and didn't by new ones because the white coat were rent from my school.
An attending gave me a kit including rulers,tuning fork,rhammer,etc..as present.So I think I'm quite lucky...

yes! a dual coffee/espresso maker... Ah, goodbye starbucks. I'll save those dollars and feed them to my anorexic piggy bank.