Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of you are aware of the original thread titled "Yes! I Found My Broken Antenna" from the Lounge. A thread for random posts, thoughts, and chatty conversation. That original thread is no more (closed after too many posts), but the spirit lives on in it's many reincarnations.

Thought maybe the pedi forum could use a little random thread to liven up the place. ;)

Here's my random news for the day. My friend and running coach told me this morning that she believes I will be able to take an hour off my first marathon time from 2 years ago. :eek: I'll be running my second marathon in January.

In pedi news, I'm starting my Peds GI elective in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of you are aware of the original thread titled "Yes! I Found My Broken Antenna" from the Lounge. A thread for random posts, thoughts, and chatty conversation. That original thread is no more (closed after too many posts), but the spirit lives on in it's many reincarnations.

Thought maybe the pedi forum could use a little random thread to liven up the place. ;)

Here's my random news for the day. My friend and running coach told me this morning that she believes I will be able to take an hour off my first marathon time from 2 years ago. :eek: I'll be running my second marathon in January.

In pedi news, I'm starting my Peds GI elective in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:
I ran the Air Force Marathon a few years back before I messed my legs up. Personally I question my sanity during that period of time......

I ran the Air Force Marathon a few years back before I messed my legs up. Personally I question my sanity during that period of time......
I question my sanity as well, but I also know I won't have time to be this insane once residency starts. Gotta live a little. ;)

okay, this thread has something like 80 views now, and only 2 people posting besides myself.

Surely you all have something random to say!?! :laugh:

1. Pilates balls (the big inflatable ones) are very useful for strengthening one's core and can even double as a chair for those uninvited guests. Most of them are reasonably priced, come in 3 sizes, and include the pump that you need to inflate.

2. For fans of the "break-n-bake" cookies, I would discourage you from trying the new "bake-in-the-pan" turtle bars from the same manufacturers. They didn't bake thoroughly despite extending the time in the oven and we just can't justify the price. I'd rather have 24 cookies.

Hey, don't steal my people! :p (not that I have any...)

*sends chocolate*

Oh, don't you worry. There are indeed plenty of cookies at the GI lectures. In fact, there have been boxes of warm ones at every lunch this week so far, plus many of the lunches in the past 2 weeks. Definitely keep up the marathon training!

Here's my random observation - there's a beautiful sunset outside this very second. Hmmm, who would have thought I would ever call anything in Houston beautiful?

this thread is very very dominated by one certain med school's students...

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a question for the runners out there...does running really affect the ankles later in life as they say?...i want to start walking but i hear running is better...but then i heard that running isn't so good for the ankles over time...any truth to this?...

1. On the running thing. I don't have any real scientific evidence, but I like to swear by walking.... but not the lovely strolling that you often see elderly people doing around your neighborhood, but the really geeky looking fitness walking with the 90 degree arms, etc. (I took a fitness walking P.E. class a couple times in college). My anecdotal evidence is that I got my mom started walking 30 minutes (2 miles) a couple times a week and I swear she went from being a little on the chubby side to pretty darn fit over a number of months. :) I am quite impressed and proud of her. I prefer walking myself, I ran before and just had a lot of knee problems. And with walking you have a little more time to enjoy the scenery around you.

2. Random thing I heard on the radio this morning. The talk show hosts were asking for the "go to girls" of the world to tell the weirdest things that they were ever asked to do. One lady called and said that her long time friend of 28 years once asked her to give her a hickey to make her boyfriend/guy she was dating jealous. They were on a road trip and stopped at a truck stop bathroom and made an attempt -- but couldn't accomplish it because they were laughing to hard!
Hmm.... I don't know if there is anyone in my circle of friends that I would do that for. Any thoughts???:laugh:

i have a question for the runners out there...does running really affect the ankles later in life as they say?...i want to start walking but i hear running is better...but then i heard that running isn't so good for the ankles over time...any truth to this?...
To the best of my understanding, runners do not have an increased risk of joint problems later in life. (that doesn't hold true for professional runners, but they're like any professional sport in that respect.)

One argument I've heard promoting running is that joints and muscles that get used adapt to the increased demand and are more likely to have protective factors in their favor. (I'm too lazy to pull up the studies right now, sorry!)

Walking is also a great form of weight-bearing exercise. My mom has been walking 3-4 miles 5 days a week for about a year now. Mom has seen some really nice health improvements. :)

this thread is very very dominated by one certain med school's students...

i guess i'm not just applying myself enough...but what med school would that be?...i'm guessing it's in texas...sorry...that's the best i've got...:confused:

My kids are begging me take them to a midnight release party of Harry Potter. I have to get up at 4am to run tomorrow. (have to eat and then finish 12 miles before 7am) Do my kids know how much I love them? :p

I won't even get to read the book until they're finished with it!

Soon we will all know convincingly that Slytherin has lost and OBP will be changing his sig!

Yes, that's a very devoted mother, TR!

I liked the lecture we got on running where the professor said, "Studies have shown that habitual running will help you live longer. On the other hand, the extension in life that runners experience is spent...um, well, running.

Soon we will all know convincingly that Slytherin has lost and OBP will be changing his sig!

Yes, that's a very devoted mother, TR!

I liked the lecture we got on running where the professor said, "Studies have shown that habitual running will help you live longer. On the other hand, the extension in life that runners experience is spent...um, well, running.
Dang, I knew there was a catch! :laugh:

Our kitten is playing with a baby carrot that fell on the floor while I was making dinner. I would take his picture if my camera were handy. How often do you see a cat trotting around with a carrot in his mouth?

Our kitten is playing with a baby carrot that fell on the floor while I was making dinner. I would take his picture if my camera were handy. How often do you see a cat trotting around with a carrot in his mouth?

awww! you have a kitten? I didn't know that! How old?

Maybe it could come over here and teach my obese cat a few lessons. Her idea of heaven is being petted while eating. That's when we get the loudest purs.

awww! you have a kitten? I didn't know that! How old?

Maybe it could come over here and teach my obese cat a few lessons. Her idea of heaven is being petted while eating. That's when we get the loudest purs.
He's about 11-12 weeks now. He's a rescue kitty, very skittish but loves the boys. Adorable. He's making the other cats exercise as well, by chasing them around the house!

My kids are begging me take them to a midnight release party of Harry Potter. I have to get up at 4am to run tomorrow. (have to eat and then finish 12 miles before 7am) Do my kids know how much I love them? :p

I won't even get to read the book until they're finished with it!
correction: We were going to be in line for the book until 1am (didn't order it early enough). We stayed until 10pm and then I bribed the kids with a "stay up late, eat popcorn and watch all the tv you want while mom goes to sleep at home and I'll buy the book in the morning!" gig. I'm such a mean mom.

Amazon, thy name is mud.

UPS, thy name is also mud. :mad:

Luckily I got a copy of HP at Walmart yesterday. The kids are sharing it pretty well.

Sooooo I really want a bike. Hubby just got one, and I think it would be fun to get into riding. I probably wouldn't use it as transportation to get to work (a me-on-bike-versus-Dodge-Durango-driven-by-brickhead-frat-boy incident in college has scared me away from riding with traffic) but I'd love to do some trail riding! Hubby and I are also getting into camping and bikes would be great to take along!!

Are you going to stand me up in Hawaii too. :p.

How's the hospitalist world going??

Yeah- going to PAS and presenting on a golden weekend is less than ideal, and doesn't leave much time for socializing :). Especially when your institution sends out an itinerary of all the departmental presentations, and you are expected to make a showing when possible! Are you going to SF for the NCE? I am planning on Hawaii as well- hopefully with a little extra time at the end :).

Hospitalist world is good- especially with no service yet :rolleyes:. I'm in SLC for the meeting this week. Fellowship has a much better schedule than residency! (unless you are my poor friend who just started with 1 month straight on service for her NICU fellowship...)

Yeah- going to PAS and presenting on a golden weekend is less than ideal, and doesn't leave much time for socializing :). Especially when your institution sends out an itinerary of all the departmental presentations, and you are expected to make a showing when possible! Are you going to SF for the NCE? I am planning on Hawaii as well- hopefully with a little extra time at the end :).

Lamest excuse for being stood up I've gotten in a while.:rolleyes: But, I'll give you a chance in Hawaii cuz, well, what else will there be to do in Hawaii? :). I went to AAP last year since I was a speaker, but not this year.

Hospitalist world is good- especially with no service yet :rolleyes:. I'm in SLC for the meeting this week. Fellowship has a much better schedule than residency! (unless you are my poor friend who just started with 1 month straight on service for her NICU fellowship...)

There's another way to do neo fellowship other than a month at a time in the NICU??

I really hate writing personal statments.

That is all.

I second that! Especially when you have been putting it off for so long and then realize that it's due in at the Dean's office in 1.5 weeks. Yes, I'm on Dermaholiday right now, but I still have other things I need to do - like shop for bedding for our new guest bed and get ready for our trip to Hawaii on Saturday!

I second that! Especially when you have been putting it off for so long and then realize that it's due in at the Dean's office in 1.5 weeks. Yes, I'm on Dermaholiday right now, but I still have other things I need to do - like shop for bedding for our new guest bed and get ready for our trip to Hawaii on Saturday!
Ooh, Hawaii?? That sounds much better than writing PS's. :laugh: Where are you going and for how long?

Ooh, Hawaii?? That sounds much better than writing PS's. :laugh: Where are you going and for how long?

We go to CA first to drop the munchkin off with my parents, then head off to Kauai for 5 nights. I soooo can't wait. I've been on the hotel's website every day, just thinking about being there!

We go to CA first to drop the munchkin off with my parents, then head off to Kauai for 5 nights. I soooo can't wait. I've been on the hotel's website every day, just thinking about being there!
Ooh, I love Kauai! I think it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

2nd place goes to Cairns, Australia, where the rainforest meets the Great Barrier Reef.

:D Have a fantastic trip!

Wait!?! You're doing pedi?!?!?! Is this new?

Wait!?! You're doing pedi?!?!?! Is this new?

Yeah, so slight change in plans. Rather than take a surgical route, then doing some sort of pedi fellowship (pedi surg, pedi ENT, whatever), I just decided to go straight pedi, then do a fellowship in something with procedures (and it's looking like TR and I may have to duke it out for Pedi GI here). It turns out that I really like the OR, but I just don't love it, and really liking it isn't enough to put up with all the other crap that goes along with being a surgical intern.

My roommate tells me that he saw a bat in the living room downstairs last night. We now have to keep all doors closed so that it doesn't find its way into the bedrooms or bathroom!
Not that bats aren't cute, but the whole rabies hassle isn't fun and not cheap either.

There are many "useless facts" I have accumulated especially during my study for the pediatric boards.

One example. I got a practice question wrong because I did not know this fact. The fact is so useless to me unless I decide to open practice in a commune filled with hippies. But the sheer exasperation I felt when I was told I should know this bit of info has now made me remember it for life. One day I think, I will put it on a black t-shirt with white moderately sized writing (hell, maybe I'll even put it in my sig):

Goat's milk has no folate.