Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hate to break it to you, but USC is going all the way this year. :D

Told ya' so...:smuggrin:

Look for Penn State to lose in Columbus.

Sux to be a Cubs fan. Tampa Bay all the way!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for that OBP... I appreciate you bringing up the Cubs demise. Luckily I vowed not to get excited about them until they won a playoff game, and, as we all saw, they failed MISERABLY to do so. That makes them 0-9 in their last 9 playoff games. Yikes.

On the plus side...ye of the USC fandom...who is in first place in the Pac-10??

Looking....looking....looking

ARIZONA! :smuggrin:
Bear down Cats!

Three tough games in a row at Stanford; home vs Cal and USC, we will see if my Cats are for real after 10/25.

Last edited:
Told ya' so...:smuggrin:

Look for Penn State to lose in Columbus.

Sux to be a Cubs fan. Tampa Bay all the way!

Oy, that game was painful. I was just glad I was on call so I only had to suffer through bits and pieces of it. My wife and I have decided we just have to root for everyone to lose this year and maybe 'SC can crawl its way back up, though with the Pac-10 looking terrible this year, they won't have any impressive wins except for Ohio State.

Members don't see this ad :)
Predictions: (note - these are who I expect, not who I necessarily want...):

Philly over the Dodgers in 7
Tampa Bay over Boston in 6
Tampa Bay over Philly in 7

Wow that's pretty close.... Except for the whole TB winning the World Series....

Anyway, I figured I'd post in tis forum as a possible future peds person.... (Well I don't know what type of medicine I want to do, but I'm pretty sure I want to work with kids).

Another random note: I'm 6'7" and kids either love it, or they pee themselves when they see me... (Ok, that's only happened 3 times...)

Wow that's pretty close.... Except for the whole TB winning the World Series....

Anyway, I figured I'd post in tis forum as a possible future peds person.... (Well I don't know what type of medicine I want to do, but I'm pretty sure I want to work with kids).

Another random note: I'm 6'7" and kids either love it, or they pee themselves when they see me... (Ok, that's only happened 3 times...)

Graciously you didn't note my prediction for the Penn State/Ohio State game :mad:. Oh well, next year will be my Buckeyes year.....

The biggest problem with being really tall and a pedi is bending down over the tiny guys to do procedures on them. Not my problem, but still....:)

Graciously you didn't note my prediction for the Penn State/Ohio State game :mad:. Oh well, next year will be my Buckeyes year.....

The biggest problem with being really tall and a pedi is bending down over the tiny guys to do procedures on them. Not my problem, but still....:)

I get lots of practice doing dishes, laundry, etc.... Everything is about a foot or more too low for me. Lots of lower back strength is needed.

Did anyone notice the UA Wildcats making their first bowl game in 10 years???

***crickets chirping***

No? Oh, thats because we are playing on December 20th. Better than nothing though.

Go Buckeyes! Beat Texas!!

Did anyone notice the UA Wildcats making their first bowl game in 10 years???

***crickets chirping***

No? Oh, thats because we are playing on December 20th. Better than nothing though.

Go Buckeyes! Beat Texas!!
Hey! I'm a fellow intern here! :mad: Why you pickin' on my Horns???

Members don't see this ad :)
USC 35, Penn State 14--you heard it here first. Fight on! :poke:

Other predictions: Ohio State, Florida, V-Tech, and...wait for it...Utah in a miraculous Boise State-like come-from-behind win.

38-24...you predicted 2 of the 4 numbers correctly :)

Watching the Fiesta Bowl right now and thought of this thread. +pad+

:oops:

When did this turn into the sports only thread? Boring!

How about another random topic - I leave for Paris in just over a week and will be there for a quick 4 days. Anyone with any must do's or don'ts? It's been a long time since I've been there.

:horns: that is all.

Well ppppbbbtttt on you then!

Hey, by the way, where have you been parking recently? I haven't seen your van in our area for the passed few days. Are you avoiding me?

How about another random topic - I leave for Paris in just over a week and will be there for a quick 4 days. Anyone with any must do's or don'ts? It's been a long time since I've been there.

With a small kid, think carefully about going to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It's cold this time of year and although the lines aren't as long as in the summer, it still takes a while to get to the top stage.

I always like going to Versailles - not a hard train ride and a fun outing. But, again, may not be as much fun to head out there this time of year.

If the weather is bad or too cold, visit the Louvre - even if you've been there, you can't possibly have seen everything unless you've spent a whole week inside. You could choose another continent or another era to explore this time...

By the way, thanks for un-hijacking the thread from the sports teams and numbers discussion!

Well ppppbbbtttt on you then!

Hey, by the way, where have you been parking recently? I haven't seen your van in our area for the passed few days. Are you avoiding me?
Silly person, that was my Texas Longhorn comment. I was keeping it brief. ;)

And I've been parking pretty close to the usual place, but getting in a few minutes later puts me a few more spaces down the aisle.

wait... are you stalking me???

:laugh:

Enjoy Paris!

Silly person, that was my Texas Longhorn comment. I was keeping it brief. ;)

And I've been parking pretty close to the usual place, but getting in a few minutes later puts me a few more spaces down the aisle.

wait... are you stalking me???

:laugh:

Enjoy Paris!

Absolutely! Do you really think I "accidentally" ran into you in the West Tower lobby the other day?! ;)

Actually, it's rather shocking what a difference showing up between 7 and 9am makes, rather than showing up minutes before 7am. Once the night shift nurses leave after the 7am signout, the parking garage is seriously like a ghost town! I could so easily park on a lower floor, were I not worried about forgetting where I park every day and losing my car on a daily basis.

Here's another random thought - Children's Benardyl does not taste good. At all.

Here's another random thought - Children's Benadryl does not taste good. At all.

Ever tried tasting one of the hypoallergenic infant formulas? Yuck.:scared:

In the old days, oral theophylline was the worst tasting medicine. The liquid cough medicines are pretty bad too, although the ones with codeine have a positive side-effect - everyone gets to sleep after you give it to the kid!

When did this turn into the sports only thread? Boring!

Definitely the Louvre -- I drove out to Utah beach, too, which was well worth it.

Do NOT drive out to Versaille -- they charge you $10 (at least it was something like that back when the euro was weak) and let you see only a few fancy rooms. Grounds, too, but in the winter that won't do much for you.

French women wear heels a painful percent of the time, so it was almost worth the price to see them tottering over the few hundred meters of very round-and-uneven cobblestones between the parking at the door. :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: If their disdain for my american jeans-and-sneakers look had bothered me a little before, I got over it right then.

Definitely the Louvre -- I drove out to Utah beach, too, which was well worth it.

Do NOT drive out to Versaille -- they charge you $10 (at least it was something like that back when the euro was weak) and let you see only a few fancy rooms. Grounds, too, but in the winter that won't do much for you.

To each their own....Versailles was largely closed for a while while they were doing some reconstructing but they let you see a lot of it. I liked it as did my kids.

I had no interest in the Louvre....;). Mona who?:idea:

Quick question, those of you doing General. Is generic Orapred still actually the "good tasting Orapred" and not that disgusting tasting Prelone? And if you were prescribing the generic form, how the heck could you make sure it is the good tasting stuff when both generic forms would be written the same (prednisolone 15 mg/5ml)?

I'm hoping they just took that original cruddy tasting prelone off the market but I'm just not sure. :confused:

Quick question, those of you doing General. Is generic Orapred still actually the "good tasting Orapred" and not that disgusting tasting Prelone? And if you were prescribing the generic form, how the heck could you make sure it is the good tasting stuff when both generic forms would be written the same (prednisolone 15 mg/5ml)?

I'm hoping they just took that original cruddy tasting prelone off the market but I'm just not sure. :confused:
It is definitely the good tasting stuff. My preceptor just checks the no substitutions box which seems to work (and he encourages the parents to mention it to the pharmacist when dropping of the Rx). The only problem we've run into is that the Orapred costs more than Prelone, so some insurances balk at paying for it.

Random post for the day: This icon looks like a reticulocyte!

Thanks so much! I actually got an offer at my home institution - but I went through the round of interviews and deliberated long and hard, and decided that it was the best fit for me - so I asked for a spot and got it!

Does it reflect poorly on me for programs to see that I've withdrawn without knowing why? Since I'm a non-traditional applicant, will they just assume that I've accepted an offer?
Would it be better to email each of them directly? (it's only five programs.)

:clap:

Hey if this is in peds--or even if it is in any other specialty that you found is better for you--congrats on the prematch! I've noticed your posts in this forum, so I just wanted to highlight this here. How exciting!!

The seamonkeys in a tank on my study desk are dying one by one. This saddens me.

It's likely XDR tuberculosis.

still waiting for gastric aspirate to come back for AFB's...

A mysterious water-borne pathogen probably. TB you think? They haven't got lungs though. :p
I have been feeding them and aerating the tank by the book so it can't be neglect.
Oh, don't die my little seamonkeys. Live! Live!

Okay, time to revive some non-Match threads. It's March Madness season and Idol season. Surely there's something to randomly discuss? :p

Anyone watch Lost?

Okay, time to revive some non-Match threads. It's March Madness season and Idol season. Surely there's something to randomly discuss? :p

Anyone watch Lost?

LOST was excellent. What you think about Ben?

In terms of Idol...I loathe Lil'.

D-U-K-E = :barf:

Go Wildcats - from perennial favorite to cinderella!

So do I!! It's all about Danny. He's sooooo good. Huge fan of Matt, too. :D

Wow. I thought I was alone. I was scared tonight though, Matt was almost eliminated. :eek::eek: I guess I should vote more often....:scared:

I think Matt was shocked when they put him on one of those chairs. The little mole in the center of his forehead had quite a scared face on it.

I had a surprise! you're on call! night last night, and now I'm tired. But the plus side is that I now have a completely free weekend!

I ran my first half marathon last weekend, and haven't had the energy or time to run since! But I'll be heading out tomorrow. Hoping to get 6-7 miles in. Good times.

I had a surprise! you're on call! night last night, and now I'm tired. But the plus side is that I now have a completely free weekend!

I ran my first half marathon last weekend, and haven't had the energy or time to run since! But I'll be heading out tomorrow. Hoping to get 6-7 miles in. Good times.
It's good to be off from running for a week after a race like that. You've got to give your muscles and tendons time to recover. Awesome that you did your first HM! When's the next one? :smuggrin:

It's good to be off from running for a week after a race like that. You've got to give your muscles and tendons time to recover. Awesome that you did your first HM! When's the next one? :smuggrin:

Next one is the Rock N' Roll over Labor Day! I'm excited! There's an 8K in June that will be lots of fun as well.

Post-call from my last NICU call. My NICU calls started off great and then got bad. Very, very bad. I'm getting my hair done this afternoon and then may go to the gym for a quick and easy workout.

Tomorrow, I start 2 weeks of radiology. Oh, lovely lovely 2 weeks of call-free time.

I would just like to say 60 days till graduation!! :)

ok... back to the topic at hand... thanks for letting me share... :D

Am I the only one who gets paged after I go home for the day? I'm not on call EVERY night....

Am I the only one who gets paged after I go home for the day? I'm not on call EVERY night....
Are you sure? I'm pretty certain we signed over our entire lives when we signed those contracts...

;)

I put my pager in my bag when I leave the hospital. I learned that trick as an intern answering pharmacy pages late in the evening.

And isn't it great when they're surprised you're not STILL on call. Even after 30 hours. The next question is inevitably "Well then who IS on call?"

To which I generally would answer: "there are only two people ever on call. Me, and not me. Right now, it's not me, and I'm turning off my pager."

Turn OFF the pager when you get home. The hospital will survive until you return! :)