Yale Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwinson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all to those who've just gotten an email from Silverman. Congrats.
I have applied to Yale thru ED and so I have gotten the news early in the fall and will definitely b staying in New Haven for the next four years. Just want to hear from those who have decided to come too. Yale Med is amazing, i hope those who are deciding between Yale and somewhere else would come!!
Congrazz again~~

Members don't see this ad.

stwinson said:
I have applied to Yale thru ED and so I have gotten the news early in the fall and will definitely b staying in New Haven for the next four years. Just want to hear from those who have decided to come too. Yale Med is amazing, i hope those who are deciding between Yale and somewhere else would come!!
Congrazz again~~

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Congrats! :thumbup:

HOPE to see all of you at second look weekend. The Whole school is really excited to meet all of you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
stwinson said:
Congrazz again~~

I think I'll be staying in New Haven for the next four years as well. It's my top choice right now, but was lucky to also get into some other great schools, so I'll be checking some out on second look weekends before saying I'm 100% sure.

By the way, do you know how many people were accepted thru ED?

I will definitely be seeing all of you this fall in New Haven!!! I am also going to second look weekend as well!! I hope to see you all there! :oops: I am so happy right now. I can't believe it. I love you Yale :love:

06applicant said:
I think I'll be staying in New Haven for the next four years as well. It's my top choice right now, but was lucky to also get into some other great schools, so I'll be checking some out on second look weekends before saying I'm 100% sure.

By the way, do you know how many people were accepted thru ED?

I am not so sure, but i was the only one interviewed on the day i went, and i don't think that many ppl applied in the first place.
Which school are you deciding in between?

lynn42 said:
I will definitely be seeing all of you this fall in New Haven!!! I am also going to second look weekend as well!! I hope to see you all there! :oops: I am so happy right now. I can't believe it. I love you Yale :love:

Congrats Lynn! Unfortunate for me Yale obviously hates me since they don't even take the time to acknowledge me. So in that case I will live vicariously through you. Congrats again.

Congrats to everyone that got the email.....when you go for second look if you don't love it equally to how much I love it (would give my own child if I had one, but I'll have to settle for sending them my favorite childhood stuffed animal) feel free to leave me an open spot! ;) Though, if they'd give me free medical school...oh well, can't have all we want (begins spamming mayo office :laugh: ).

Ahhh!!!! I am so ridiculously happy right now......Thank you Yale!!

See you all at the re-visit weekend, and maybe next fall...hahaha!!

Rebs said:
Congrats Lynn! Unfortunate for me Yale obviously hates me since they don't even take the time to acknowledge me. So in that case I will live vicariously through you. Congrats again.

Rebs- Nonetheless, WE love Yale. :love: Sorry buddy. Yale must have found out you were accepted to Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, U of Chicago, UC Irvine, and USC (with a scholarship may I add). They knew you wouldn't matriculate into Yale with all those choices!

PS- you're awesome!! I miss you.

i didn't get any love either, Rebs! who knows, maybe we'll have the luxury of chillin on the waitlist? :rolleyes:

stwinson said:
Which school are you deciding in between?

As of now (in order):
1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Cornell
4. Columbia

06applicant said:
As of now (in order):
1. Yale
2. Penn
3. Cornell
4. Columbia

hey 06, ill be deciding between the same 4 schools. we should chat and exchange opinions/corcerns, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
abcehmu said:
hey 06, ill be deciding between the same 4 schools. we should chat and exchange opinions/corcerns, etc.

Hey, me too! Minus Columbia though... what are you guys doing about the conflicting Yale/Penn second look days? I'm going to try to go to Yale for one day and Penn for the other, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I am so excited though!! Congrats to both of you, and everyone else who got the good news today.

2010MD said:
Hey, me too! Minus Columbia though... what are you guys doing about the conflicting Yale/Penn second look days? I'm going to try to go to Yale for one day and Penn for the other, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I am so excited though!! Congrats to both of you, and everyone else who got the good news today.

Double post...sorry

2010MD said:

I also have two other second looks that conflict with Yale's weekend...I also don't know what to do about it and I really want to visit Yale and one other school. Does anyone think they might have the guts to call the Yale Admissions Office and ask if they could have two second look weekends (or change it to another weekend when less schools have their second look weekend, since they sent out their decisions later than everyone else)? I mean of course I doubt if that would do anything, but Yale SOM is supposed to be very open to student input etc...

2010MD said:

good question, i also want to do both but haven't quite figured out the logistics of it.

abcehmu said:
good question, i also want to do both but haven't quite figured out the logistics of it.

We could all carpool up to New Haven from Philadelphia on Thursday night (says the girl without a car... anyone have a car?)

2010MD said:
We could all carpool up to New Haven from Philadelphia on Thursday night (says the girl without a car... anyone have a car?)

haha, a good idea and I've wondered if there can't be some sort of collaborative effort on this seeing as how there has to be a sizable group of us in the same situation. i think i'm going to be headed in the opposite direction though (yale then penn). do the days overlap exactly? doesn't Penn's extend into Saturday during the day?

CerealBox said:
I'm deciding between Yale (my dream school/curriculum) & UCSF (family/friends).... !!! I'll see you all at 2nd look weekend as well.
Can't wait!

Sorry,have to comment...if it was me I would take UCSF...family, friends, and an AWESOME school (maybe even better than Yale....eek :p ) imo UCSF is just an great school, I wish I was from california.....

For those thinking about traveling in between Penn and Yale, Amtrak is probably the easiest/fastest way although not necessariyl the cheapest. It takes about an hour or so to get into Philly from New Haven

ChyLn said:
For those thinking about traveling in between Penn and Yale, Amtrak is probably the easiest/fastest way although not necessariyl the cheapest. It takes about an hour or so to get into Philly from New Haven

It takes about an hour to get from New Haven to NYC. I think it's more like 2.5 - 3 hours on Amtrak to go from New Haven to Philly.

parcha789 said:
Hey Guys,

I know I'm supposed be blown away by Hopkins, but I'm really turned off by the idea of competing for grades on a CURVE. Also - I didn't really like Baltimore and the area surrounding campus.

Are you certain that classes are curved at Hopkins? If so, where did you find this information? I have heard that on SDN before, but I have no recollection of ever hearing that when I was at Hopkins...

If you have reservations about JHU and Yale, but loved Penn then I'd say go to Penn...don't worry about what other people say...you're going to find tons of people willing to bash all the top schools.

Yep same here...hello future classmates!!

Personally I would choose hopkins, but it depends somewhat what you want to do....and if you say Penn really blew you away....I would recommend you go with your gut, if I school blew me away I would do everything I could to get into it regardless of what the naysayers said.

I would suggest that everyone trying to decide between schools make an effort to interact with as many students as possible at the different schools. At the second look weekends, it will be tempting to talk to your future classmates, but try to get a feel for how the current students like it. This, I believe, should be the #1 piece of data that goes into everyone's decision-making process. There's simply nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. I chose Yale for this reason. I probably spoke to 40 students and each one was happier than the last. They weren't stressed and seemed to be really enjoying life. In medical school, this is hard to come by. Turning down Hopkins and others wasn't easy, but I know I made the right choice. Just my two cents - obviously, everyone should get a feel for where they'll best fit in.

CerealBox said:
I know: UCSF is awesome... but I don't know if it was because i was sick on my interview day or what, but it just didn't wow me. YALE blew me away... I loved EVERYTHING about the school, except its location.

It's really oing to come down to second look weekends and money...
When you come to second look, I think you'll find that New Haven, especially by the undergrad area, is much better than you'd think.

Try to get someone to (a) take you to Mory's for drinks (bring nice clothes and make sure you do 'cups'), and (b) take you to BAR for pizza.

New Haven sucks. I been here for 5 years.

CerealBox said:
So... how come no one seems 100% sure that Yale is their dream school and where they want to be next year? That's wierd.. going into this process Yale was towards the very top of my list because of how in love people were with the program.. And the only thing keeping me from committing 100% is how far it is from the west coast. What are other hesitations that people are having???

Centinel said:
When you come to second look, I think you'll find that New Haven, especially by the undergrad area, is much better than you'd think.

Try to get someone to (a) take you to Mory's for drinks (bring nice clothes and make sure you do 'cups'), and (b) take you to BAR for pizza.

New Haven is a great town if you really make the effort to make it your home. It's bad rep is totally undeserved. I was there for undergrad and have been living in NYC for the past few years, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. It is ultra-affordable (check out http://newhaven.craigslist.org -- there is some amazing stuff on there), there's great food and ample cultural attractions, it's a short (and cheap) train ride to Manhattan for when you need your megalopolis fix. There are great festivals with free concerts, cheap performances, etc all summer long. In addition to Centinel's suggestions, I would also recommend checking out the Wooster Square neighborhood and the area around East Rock if you have time (you should also do a search on those neighborhoods on craiglist).

I'm totally pumped to have gotten in to Yale! Congrats to everyone else as well. I'm still not sure about second look weekend... I already spent two days on campus for my interview and New Haven is SO FAR from south Texas.

I thought New Haven was great, by the way (even after undergrad at Columbia). There were great eats and great bars. I was also REALLY impressed with the students. I had a chance to speak at length with more than ten students and they were so down to earth, so committed to medicine, and so happy to be at Yale.

As much as I liked it, I'm still trying to decide between UCSD (where my parents and siblings are) and Yale. I'm also still waiting to hear from UCSF, and am still unsure about launching a persuasive campaign at Columbia to try and get off the wait list. To those of you that are currently considering Yale over Columbia, what's behind your preference?

CerealBox said:
So... how come no one seems 100% sure that Yale is their dream school and where they want to be next year? That's wierd.. going into this process Yale was towards the very top of my list because of how in love people were with the program.. And the only thing keeping me from committing 100% is how far it is from the west coast. What are other hesitations that people are having???

Hey -

I'm more than 100% sure - I felt the same during my interview day - I just simply LOVED everything... And it wasn't the best day of my life otherwise :) That being said - UCSF was my top choice when I started applying, and it is probably only due to the fact I was rejected post-secondary that I am not having a huge dilemma right now.

See you in New Haven for 2nd Look...

;)

Waz up people. There is some good pizza in New Haven, I love Pepe's and Sally's tooo hmmmm. Just got back from france and smell like one big nicotine stick. Anyways, I committed to Yale it was hard, but finally did it. I will be leaving to go backpacking through Latin America on Monday will be back sometime in July.

See you in Aug. :eek:

I've heard that the second look weekend is tremendous. I have a friend who is a first year at Yale and he said that the yield rate (those that attend 2nd look and then attend Yale) is very very high. So if you're considering Yale I suggest the second look weekend. I'll definitely be there.

Also, is anyone who is going next year thinking about living off campus? I am definitely living off campus and was wondering if other people were too.

I am also 100% sure I will attend Yale in the fall. I officially withdrew from all schools that accepted me besides Yale. The students were so happy and just bragged about the Yale System. Additionally, 9 hours of lecture a week sounds great to me!! AWESOME!! I study best on my own so that is simply perfect for me. I can't wait until August. I just want to go to Yale and start school!! :oops: Even though I am going to matriculatae into Yale, I am still going to second look. So, whoever's going, I 'll see you there!! :thumbup:

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I don't want to incite any widespread panic in pre-allo...

I just got that checklist letter from the financial aid office today and I'm on the waitlist. I know that when these were sent out last month they were accidentally sent out to acceptees so I called the Financial Aid office today to ask them about the status of my documents and the letter and they said the letter had only been sent out to acceptees and they must have made a mistake in sending it to me (whatever that means).

Did any other waitlistees receive this letter too? I assume so, but I want to tie my hopes down before they get up too high.

Are all the 2nd look events casual dress? I thought I read that somewhere, but not I can't find anything about dress guidelines for the life of me. And I'm leaving in 1 hour! Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Hi,

I just got in a few days ago off the waitlist. I've accepted and withdrawn from everywhere else, so I'lm going to Yale!!! Not going to lie, pretty excited. Anyone else planning on doing this pre orientation trip? We had them for undergrad at my school, they were a blast. When are you guys planning on showing up in New Haven? Have people already started looking for housing?

Ben

Hi Everyone! I will alslo be going to Yale next year! Hopefully soon we'll get some more responses on here so we can talk about the hike before school starts, living, etc. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you guys next year!!! And, I'm unbelievably happy to be going here :) :)

ablumoon said:
Hi Everyone! I will alslo be going to Yale next year! Hopefully soon we'll get some more responses on here so we can talk about the hike before school starts, living, etc. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you guys next year!!! And, I'm unbelievably happy to be going here :) :)
Congrats!!! And welcome. I'm pretty psyched about the hike, my undergrad had a similar trip and it was a blast. I'm still waiting to get my packet of info, sent in my deposit early last week, still no word.

Hi jbar! I'm glad to know our thread is <somewhat> alive. I'm definitely going on the hike as well and Dr. Silverman mentioned that we can move into the dorms the week beforehand, which sounds sweet. (I think it's the weekend of August 19). Are you planning on living in the dorms or in your own apt/place somewhere in New Haven? Also, do you have a link to what our day-to-day schedule may be like next year? I read somewhere that we'll only have class 9 hours a week, which sounds crazy but pretty sweet. I just got in yesterday, so I'm trying to find out every possible detail about what life may be like next year. =) :p :)

ablumoon said:
Hi jbar! I'm glad to know our thread is <somewhat> alive. I'm definitely going on the hike as well and Dr. Silverman mentioned that we can move into the dorms the week beforehand, which sounds sweet. (I think it's the weekend of August 19). Are you planning on living in the dorms or in your own apt/place somewhere in New Haven? Also, do you have a link to what our day-to-day schedule may be like next year? I read somewhere that we'll only have class 9 hours a week, which sounds crazy but pretty sweet. I just got in yesterday, so I'm trying to find out every possible detail about what life may be like next year. =) :p :)
I just got an apartment in New Haven, if you want an apartment you should get that sorted soon, most of the apartments in the building I was looking at have been rented. I don't know much about the dorm situation, but since about half of the class lives in them it should be fun either way.

I don't have the day to day schedual yet, but check out this link, some cool info:

http://info.med.yale.edu/yaxis/flash

Thanks for the link, jbar!
Now where are other future Yalies on here? :)

Hey all, I found a condo where I want to live next year. It's a two bedroom, so I'm looking for a roommate. If you're interested PM me and I can give you more information.

See you all in the fall.

ablumoon said:
Thanks for the link, jbar!
Now where are other future Yalies on here? :)

I'm one!! Very happy to be going --only two more months :D

Right now I'm looking for an apartment close to campus and excited to meet people on the MOOT trip.

Anyone else doing MOOT here?

thefreshmaker said:
I'm one!! Very happy to be going --only two more months :D

Right now I'm looking for an apartment close to campus and excited to meet people on the MOOT trip.

Anyone else doing MOOT here?
Heck yes, we had similar trips for undergrad, and they were good times. You learn a lot about school goofing off in the woods with some upperclassmen.

Congrats on getting in, where are y'all from?

I live in Martinsburg, WV... moved around a lot growing up in the Baltimore/VA/WV area. I went to college in Los Angeles (went to USC), and now I can't wait to make New Haven my home for four years. How about you guys? Where did you go to undergrad?

Also, to those of you going on MOOT-- did you know we won't be able to shower for three days? It kind of concerns me, but hey... I guess it will be a bonding experience.

ablumoon said:
I live in Martinsburg, WV... moved around a lot growing up in the Baltimore/VA/WV area. I went to college in Los Angeles (went to USC), and now I can't wait to make New Haven my home for four years. How about you guys? Where did you go to undergrad?

Also, to those of you going on MOOT-- did you know we won't be able to shower for three days? It kind of concerns me, but hey... I guess it will be a bonding experience.
You don't camp much. As a kid hiking out west I think the longest I had to go was 14 days. You get used to it, you can't smell yourself after a bit (and it helps to be in an open space.)