Yale Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ablumoon said:
I live in Martinsburg, WV... moved around a lot growing up in the Baltimore/VA/WV area. I went to college in Los Angeles (went to USC), and now I can't wait to make New Haven my home for four years. How about you guys? Where did you go to undergrad?

I grew up in New York City, went to Dartmouth way up in the frozen north. I've been living in Boulder CO for the last two years working on an ambulance. Now i'm traveling the country on a big road trip on my last summer of freedom for awhile.

Where is Martinsburg? I was just in Fayetteville kayaking a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

it's about 1.5 hours west of D.C. in that part of WV that sticks out (above VA, next to MD, under PA).. I'm close to Harper's Ferry, the tri-state area where VA/MD/WV all meet. There is white water rafting here, but definietly not as good as deeper in WV. Did you go to the New River gorge? It's beautiful over there and the rafting is some of the best in the country.

so when are you planning on moving to new haven?

ablumoon said:
it's about 1.5 hours west of D.C. in that part of WV that sticks out (above VA, next to MD, under PA).. I'm close to Harper's Ferry, the tri-state area where VA/MD/WV all meet. There is white water rafting here, but definietly not as good as deeper in WV. Did you go to the New River gorge? It's beautiful over there and the rafting is some of the best in the country.

Hello again fellow Yalie peeps

I'm having a little trouble finding a reasonably priced apartment/studio close to campus.

I might have to consider Harkness-but because I got off the wait list so late in the game I don't even know if they still offer dorms..

any suggestions on either option are appreciated?

Members don't see this ad :)
that sucks about the housing, but i am fairly certain that there is guaranteed housing in harkness for all incoming students, regardless of how late you got in from the wait list. I applied for housing a couple weeks ago (for harkness), and am waiting to hear back to see where I got in. Dr. Silverman said that housing was guaranteed, though (and I think about 50% of the class stays in the dorms).

My personal reasons for choosing Harkness over my own place?
Location (I can walk to class and not drive anywhere), my food (and other worries) during the week is taken care of, and I can meet people in a city and school where I don't know many people. I also like the idea of not having to clean my bathroom and kitchen, at least for a year... though I can't foresee myself in the dorms from MSII on. Besides, I figured, I would probably never live in dorms again after this, so why not? :) It should be a good experience.

If you're looking for a more quiet lifestyle, I think there are several options within Harkness... all the rooms are, of course, singles, and the difference between an extra large room and a large room is only about $300 per year (comes up to about $667/month for XL). You can also get quieter rooms (well, according to some older MS1s) and they do ask you questions on the housing sheet as to what kind of living environment you prefer.

ablumoon said:
that sucks about the housing, but i am fairly certain that there is guaranteed housing in harkness for all incoming students, regardless of how late you got in from the wait list. I applied for housing a couple weeks ago (for harkness), and am waiting to hear back to see where I got in. Dr. Silverman said that housing was guaranteed, though (and I think about 50% of the class stays in the dorms).

My personal reasons for choosing Harkness over my own place?
Location (I can walk to class and not drive anywhere), my food (and other worries) during the week is taken care of, and I can meet people in a city and school where I don't know many people. I also like the idea of not having to clean my bathroom and kitchen, at least for a year... though I can't foresee myself in the dorms from MSII on. Besides, I figured, I would probably never live in dorms again after this, so why not? :) It should be a good experience.

If you're looking for a more quiet lifestyle, I think there are several options within Harkness... all the rooms are, of course, singles, and the difference between an extra large room and a large room is only about $300 per year (comes up to about $667/month for XL). You can also get quieter rooms (well, according to some older MS1s) and they do ask you questions on the housing sheet as to what kind of living environment you prefer.

Thanks so much ablumoon! I feel a lot better about this then. Maybe we'll be floormates :)

ablumoon said:
Did you go to the New River gorge? It's beautiful over there and the rafting is some of the best in the country.

Yeah, I hit up the new for about a week. I'm going to New Haven prob August 16th to move into my place, then back to nyc for a few days to be with the fam before MOOT. Right now I'm in San Francisco on a friends couch, hanging out before heading up to Vancouver.

hey all

I forgot what they said, but if you are staying in harkness for the coming year (s), where can you park?! does yale have designated parking for us? if so, who should I contact?

hey:)

I was wondering if Yale ever mentioned anything on a laptop requirement? or is anything fine? I am thinking about buying a macbook and i just want to make sure it's okay.

phenylalanine said:
hey:)

I was wondering if Yale ever mentioned anything on a laptop requirement? or is anything fine? I am thinking about buying a macbook and i just want to make sure it's okay.
Here is the link to Yale Med computing and the requirements. If I were you I would wait till I get to school to buy, you can usually get some kind of discount through the school on computers, and a huge discount on basc softwear (like MS office)

http://its.med.yale.edu/hardware/hardware.html

hope it helps

Ben

all right people, i broke down and did it-- there's now a facebook group for those people going to be MSI's next year. It's called "Yale Medical School Class of 2010+" and anyone is invited to join (from all networks). See you come August.. :)