Yale (COA) vs UCLA (COA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smallvillain

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been extremely fortunate to receive the geffen scholarship from UCLA and the full financial aid scholarship from Yale.

Geffen is full tuition and fees +~32K/year stipend for everything

Yale would be full tuition and fees plus ~21500 stipend a year. Though, I would apply every year for financial aid and it is subject to change, depending on family’s income.

From the northeast east and stayed for college. Really don’t know where I wanna live in the future, but I feel like this is my chance to explore and see if I like the west coast-maybe I’ll love the atmosphere. Yet, family and gf in the northeast (a couple hours away from Yale by car/train).

Not 100% sure what I want to do, but interested in surgery. Definitely don’t want to do an extra year of research though, and this is more encouraged at Yale than other places.

I’m very fortunate to be in this position, and I know I “can’t make a wrong decision”-but I have to choose soon, and I go back and forth between the two every day.

Please help me

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools will help get you to where you want to be, but you have a better support system near Yale - so go there. Also, you can do 4 years at Yale if you like, it will not hurt you in the slightest. You’ll have so much extra time to do research anyway with their whole “Yale” system.

Members don't see this ad :)
How likely are your family finances to change? I like UCLA because your aid is guaranteed for all 4 years. However, I highly recommend staying near family/support if funds won't change.

Although UCLA is higher ranked, both schools are excellent and should allow you to get where you want to go. I would focus on fit--where you think that you would fit in the best and have the most opportunity. All else being equal, I would attend UCLA for two reasons: 1) to experience a new part of the country (if not now, when?); and 2) LA is a better place to live than New Haven, both in terms of things to do and weather. Let us know what you chose after you commit.