Yale/Cornell Interview experiences??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasPassin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader of the forums. Currently going through application season and starting to feel very excited/nervous!

I have received some interviews and was wondering about specific interview experiences at a couple of hospitals; Yale and Cornell.

I saw a few posts from 2007 about Yale interview day experiences, but would love to hear if anyone has anymore current information from the last couple of years.

Thanks for any info, and best of luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Yale last year. Pretty solid program, but I just didn't feel like I fit in with the residents there. Really didn't like the town. But the actual interview day was just fine. One of my interviewers was Paul Barash...pretty funny guy, asked some thought provoking questions (tell me about a time in medical school were something happened that you didn't agree with ethically, etc). The other interview was with one of the chief residents--very laid back interview. Nothing malignant from either interviewer.

Had the same feeling at Yale - I had high expectations, but my interview day just didn't live up to them. The chairman is a strong point, and they have a couple big names in academic anesthesia (Dr. Barach in particular) - but New Haven left a lot to be desired, at dinner the residents seemed friendly but not overly enthused (I heard a lot of "Every program has it's problems..." and "It's worth it because the Yale name opens doors..."). Also seemed to be lacking in some basic areas, such as regional anesthesia.

Ultimately, it was a solid program -- just not enough to bring me to New Haven.

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader of the forums. Currently going through application season and starting to feel very excited/nervous!

I have received some interviews and was wondering about specific interview experiences at a couple of hospitals; Yale and Cornell.

I saw a few posts from 2007 about Yale interview day experiences, but would love to hear if anyone has anymore current information from the last couple of years.

Thanks for any info, and best of luck to all!

I interviewed last year at both yale and cornell.

Yale: Great programs. They have some big name faculties like Dr. Barash which is like a big wig in anesthesia world. He will often ask residents to help him write book chapters or case reports. Residents are friendly and outgoing. I had fun at the dinner. Solid program. They just recently acquired a new hospital making Yale the largest hospital in east coast I believe. Biggest downside - location. I dont wanna live in New Haven. I'm a west coast guy so I ranked Yale pretty low.

Cornell: another solid program. I like it better than Yale maybe because the fact that it is in NYC (and a nice part of NYC!). Housing is provided cause residents take home call...but it is expensive! about $2000 for a single bedroom apt, the apt is nice though and its located in nice area. Residents are nice and outgoing. Dinner was fun although I had more fun at yale dinner. CBY-1 is quite cush...only 1 medicine month, 3 months anesthesia months or something like that. You rotate through some of the top hospitals (HSS for regional and memorial sloan kettering for ICU i believe). Cornell was my highest ranked east coast programs