Any experiences with Moderna booster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastafan

Interventional Pain Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on booster soon. My second Moderna dose reaction was pretty miserable for a day and I'm wondering how folks have been doing with the booster. Better/worse/same than previous doses?

Members don't see this ad.

I got Moderna after the Pfizer series. Arm was pretty sore. Felt tired for about a day afterward but I'd been working long hours that week anyway, hard to tell the vaccine tiredness from the work tiredness.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had 101.4 fever, all day headache, fatigue, and it was really painful to lift my arm. I didn't take anything and just sucked it up because I didn't want to blunt immune response.

Booster dose of Moderna was better than the second dose. Second dose knocked me on my ass.

Pfizer first two, then full dose Moderna. Moderna shot was pretty crappy. Started getting chills about 6 hrs after the shot, headaches and chills for about 24 hrs or so in total. Didn't take anything until I gave in with some Tylenol maybe 18hrs after the shot, helped a little. Sore arm, but no worse than I had with Pfizer.

Last edited:
Full dose moderna after Pfizer series. Felt terrible, nausea, myalgias. Still managed to work though...

I had Pfizer back in March, getting Moderna booster tonight. Hopes and prayers that i live

Had booster yesterday. Very happy with minimal fatigue today and injection site similar to flu vaccine. Worth it for ~20X antibody boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sore arm, and very mild brain fog (like just felt something wasn't quite right, but couldn't put my finger on it.).

Slightly sore arm and fatigue for about 24 hours after vaccine. Moderna booster. Definitely not as bad as second dose of series

Slightly sore arm and fatigue for about 24 hours after vaccine. Moderna booster. Definitely not as bad as second dose of series

All three shots were Pfizer for me. The third one was my worst one yet.
But I had a positive antibody test at some point during the early days of the pandemic.

So maybe technically this is the fourth time that I’ve mounted an immune response.
1st shot. Barely felt anything.
2nd shot. Sore arm for a day.
3rd shot. Foggy, maybe a low grade fever.

Waiting to get my flu shot. Know someone who got them pretty much the same day. Who knows how well either will work?

Recently got 3rd moderna. Had sore arm and no other reactions, which was similar to my first 2 doses.

Moderna x first two pokes: Nothing.

Moderna Booster: Next day all day legit flu like; fever, chills, aches.

If push comes to shove and a third dose becomes mandatory i'll just go get the real virus instead of this pos vaccine.

Reactions: 3 users
2/10 pain at injection site with half dose-booster, prior two moderna's I had pretty bad headache

If push comes to shove and a third dose becomes mandatory i'll just go get the real virus instead of this pos vaccine.
Huh. That's an odd choice.

What percent of the people dying in your ICUs over there are vaccinated with one of these "pos" vaccines?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's approximately zero%, same as it is over here.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
It makes 0 sense to get a third shot of a vaccine designed against a subtype of the virus that is not circulating anymore.
I don't have the numbers but over here the proportion of patients hospitalized for Covid in vaccinated people is catching up to the proportion of vaccinated people in the population.
Also i'm not fat or old...

Reactions: 2 users

Fwiw COVID has already killed almost 800,000 Americans, almost 1 in 400 or 0.25%. I think Belgium is pretty close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It makes 0 sense to get a third shot of a vaccine designed against a subtype of the virus that is not circulating anymore.
I don't have the numbers but over here the proportion of patients hospitalized for Covid in vaccinated people is catching up to the proportion of vaccinated people in the population.
No idea why they’re boosting without an updated vaccine. We know it doesn’t work well against delta.

Neither was my friend dude, neither is the young soldier currently on day 82 on ecmo who just had an emergent craniotomy who's prognosis is not good at all. I'll take my chances with a booster shot over covid any day and I believe that you should too.

Reactions: 6 users
Why do we update the flu vaccine every year after gathering epidemiological data? Isn’t an advantage of mRNA vaccines the ability to update them quickly?
Interesting the H1N1 part of the flu vaccine was unchanged from 2010 to I think 2017 or so.

And yes, a delta variant booster would have been nice but a regular booster seems to be reasonably protective against Delta

Neither was my friend dude, neither is the young soldier currently on day 82 on ecmo who just had an emergent craniotomy who's prognosis is not good at all. I'll take my chances with a booster shot over covid any day and I believe that you should too.
Well if they both had 2 shots then its proof that the vaccine doesn't work.
In Belgium between oct 21 and nov 5 64% of hopitalized were 2x vaccinated as were 54% of icu admissions...

Sorry but i don't worry about polio or hepB because those vaccines work.

In Belgium between oct 21 and nov 5 64% of hopitalized were 2x vaccinated as were 54% of icu admissions...

One had none and one had one. And I know, I know, I know, that doesn't really tell you much about your specific case of not wanting another booster, but I believe that my point still stands....that it is orders of magnitudes less risky to get a booster than to get covid and risk death or possibly a lifetime of viral damage.

That is not even remotely representative of the numbers we're seeing. The last 5-6 months, >70% of our inpatients with COVID are unvaccinated. >85% of our ICU patients with COVID are unvaccinated, and >95% of our intubated patients with COVID are unvaccinated. This is what we're seeing all across the USA.

What kinda nonsense science is this?

Also the predominant strain in the US, afaik, is Delta, which our current vaccines are effective against albeit less so. I'd love a better targeted vaccine - but since once isn't available...

Always sad/amazing to me when I meet doctors that let their beliefs over rule best available knowledge

Yule-simpson paradox.

Last edited:

Reinforcing my assertion that the word vaccine is a misnomer for these treatments. They are a prophylactic treatment that likely reduces severity of disease, particularly in select at-risk populations, with unknown long term sequela. Tamiflu for your mRNA anyone?

Reinforcing my assertion that the word vaccine is a misnomer for these treatments. They are a prophylactic treatment that likely reduces severity of disease, particularly in select at-risk populations, with unknown long term sequela. Tamiflu for your mRNA anyone?
No, vaccine is exactly the right term. Same with the flu vaccine and adult pneumonia vaccines. The basic mechanism is the same as the other vaccines: introduce the body to some part of a infectious agent that will not cause an infection to allow your body to build up immunity to that agent.

Reinforcing my belief that the word "vaccine" is a misnomer and these shots are merely a prophylactic treatment shown to likely reduce symptoms, perhaps significantly in at-risk populations. with unproven/unknown long-term effects. Tamiflu anyone?
No, vaccine is exactly the right term. Same with the flu vaccine and adult pneumonia vaccines. The basic mechanism is the same as the other vaccines: introduce the body to some part of a infectious agent that will not cause an infection to allow your body to build up immunity to that agent.
Well if stopping the spread is part of the goal, he is right that it is ineffective as a vaccine. Slowing the spread maybe... reducing symptoms..likely. Increasing minimally or asymptomatic carriers... plausibly.

With the exception that vaccines typically confer long lasting immunity which is clearly not the case here.
The flu vaccine is in no way a proxy or an excuse for the inefficacy of the covid vaccine: the flu shots are prophylactic, covid vaccines should be therapeutic.

With the exception that vaccines typically confer long lasting immunity which is clearly not the case here.
The flu vaccine is in no way a proxy or an excuse for the inefficacy of the covid vaccine: the flu shots are prophylactic, covid vaccines should be therapeutic.
Most vaccines confer long lasting immunity because our bodies do the same with the pathogens in question. I had chicken pox as a kid and am protected still. Makes sense the vaccine would provide similar protection.

Our bodies do not get long lasting immunity to any coronaviruses so why would a vaccine do so?

I am unaware of any vaccines that are anything but prophylactic.

Going to leave this up rather than delete it. Basically the post is riddled with misinformation. See abolt18's post for a dose of reality.

I suggest getting woke.

• Dislike
Wow, thread has been derailed. I suggest that we get back to reporting reactions to Moderna booster.

It appears that there is no rhythm or reason to reactions folks have to vaccine or boosters.

Please show us an official definition that states a vaccine must confer “long lasting immunity.”

Wow, thread has been derailed. I suggest that we get back to reporting reactions to Moderna booster.

It appears that there is no rhythm or reason to reactions folks have to vaccine or boosters.
The people who were doing the injections at my hospital would anecdotally say people who’d had covid had more side effects from the vaccine.

People who had not gotten it had very mild reactions.

Who knows how that holds up. I’ve never tested positive (or had classic covid symptoms) but I got a lot of side effects from both initial shots. Got my booster tonight so let’s see if I am dozing tomorrow from food coma or pfizer.

Just want to say, free RNAs have a extremely short half-life in the human body. If anyone has worked with RNAs, they are real finicky as if you as much look at them funny, they will breakdown.

1637858825421.png

1637858851016.png

Look at the case count in Fall/Winter 2020. Look at the daily deaths in Fall/Winter 2020.

Look at the case count in Fall 2021. Look at the daily deaths in Fall 2021.

In case you were wondering if vaccines work.

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 346095
View attachment 346096

Look at the case count in Fall/Winter 2020. Look at the daily deaths in Fall/Winter 2020.

Those graphs are so telling. My state has the same published data, the US federal govt does as well. Texas (yes, Texas!) Just published this data as well, in fact There’s a Medcram video on YouTube about this.

These types of graphs should be all over the news and it’s really sad that they aren’t because it tells the story that needs to be told. It isn’t perfect but it’s saving TONS of lives.

Don’t get the vaccine, fine that’s your ‘freedom’ but don’t spread BS lies about it. get your facts straight then stray as far away as you want.

View attachment 346095
View attachment 346096

50 years from now they're going to look back and marvel at the scientific achievement it was to create a vaccine so quickly that made such an obscene impact almost immediately. And they're also going to look back at how dumb a significant slice of the population was. An unvax'd family member just died from covid. She was young and healthy, which only meant that her ICU suffering was drawn out even longer and she survived things (multiple PE's, septic shock, fungemia) that many sicker people die from immediately. But the end result was the same.

I got my vaccine series kind of late. Well my second shot at least, just due to laziness and being busy. I got the pfizer series but will likely get the moderna booster depending on what the data looks like 5ish months down the line.

• Sad
Milder version of all the same symptoms from shot #2. Back ache, hip pain, malaise, fatigue. I was off today but would’ve had a hard time going to work.