yale decision date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone,

This is Barbara Watts, Assistant Director of Admissions at Yale University School of Medicine. I've read through this thread and I wanted to set the record straight about the decision letters from Yale.

First, ALL decision letters were mailed on Friday, March 14. Accept, wait list and rejection letters to all applicants were sent at the same time. The letters were dated March 20, but we got a little ahead of schedule and mailed them early. In addition, accepted applicants received an email from Richard Silverman.

Second, unlike last year, we will not have a "High Priority" wait list. The wait list will be organized into three ranked groups, and applicants on the wait list will be informed of the process by which they can determine their status.

Finally, our re-visit activity, "Second Look Weekend" will be held Thursday and Friday, April 24 and 25. The event will begin on Thursday afternoon at 1:00 and end on Friday evening.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Barbara Watts
Assistant Director of Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

wow, this all kind of has a "big brother" (or "big sister" in this case?) feel to it.

at the same time, i appreciate that someone involved in admissions is willing to take a stand and tell us things in a clear, succinct way.

thanks for the honesty, yale! i just wish it had been good news for me :(

Hello everyone,

This is Barbara Watts, Assistant Director of Admissions at Yale University School of Medicine. I've read through this thread and I wanted to set the record straight about the decision letters from Yale.

First, ALL decision letters were mailed on Friday, March 14. Accept, wait list and rejection letters to all applicants were sent at the same time. The letters were dated March 20, but we got a little ahead of schedule and mailed them early. In addition, accepted applicants received an email from Richard Silverman.

Second, unlike last year, we will not have a "High Priority" wait list. The wait list will be organized into three ranked groups, and applicants on the wait list will be informed of the process by which they can determine their status.

Finally, our re-visit activity, "Second Look Weekend" will be held Thursday and Friday, April 24 and 25. The event will begin on Thursday afternoon at 1:00 and end on Friday evening.

Sincerely,
Barbara Watts

Thanks for the update! I think it's cool that you are concerned with how we feel as applicants and decided to keep us informed!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is agonizing. Still no mail today (and I live in NYC). The woman I spoke with today said that some decisions were mailed this morning. But I guess Ms. Watt's note is most reliable. It's awful that they can't get their stories straight... as though this process weren't hard enough.

This is agonizing. Still no mail today (and I live in NYC). The woman I spoke with today said that some decisions were mailed this morning. But I guess Ms. Watt's note is most reliable. It's awful that they can't get their stories straight... as though this process weren't hard enough.

Yep, same here. No mail in CA on Tuesday. Probably due to USPS rather than Yale though. Since I didn't get an email though I can only assume it's not good news.

Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Barbara Watts

Thanks!

rejection .... sadness :( ... really liked yale .....

rejection .... sadness :( ... really liked yale .....

Yep, bad news finally arrived here too. This decision was the last thing keeping me from settling for sure on UCSF. It's actually a relief that this decision was made so easily for me. UCSF was meant to be!

For all those accepted, congratulations. Yale is a great place.

Here are the numbers that I gathered from last year's application cycle. The unreferenced numbers are from Yale's 2007 admission statistics.

Applicants: 4056
Interviewed: 998

Matriculated: 100
Total acceptances: 236
Initial acceptances: 160 (provided by jbar earlier in this thread)
Waitlist acceptances: 76 (236-160)
Matriculated from waitlist: 25 (25% of the class--from waitlist letter)
Matriculated from initial acceptance: 75 (75% of the class)
Size of waitlist: ~200 (based on sketchy information from last year's thread)

Right now, none of us know our rank on the waitlist. If we assume we all have an equal chance of being selected from the waitlist for acceptance, then the best estimate for probability of acceptance off the waitlist, based on last year's numbers, is simply 76/200 or 0.38. Anyone have anything to add to my numbers?

Any word on when we'll be informed of our position on the wait list?

Good luck everyone!

EDIT:
The above estimates are incorrect if the initial number of accepances was 196. See posts 162 and 163 on this thread.

wow thanks dr. beat for all of those numbers! u rock! also, thank u so much ms. watts for the clarifications.

so the percentages then are: 16% ppl get in immediately, 20% get waitlisted post-interview, and 64% ppl get rejected post-interview.

so would yall say that getting waitlisted is a pretty good thing at this school? (i kinda feel like most ppl get waitlisted at washu)

Here's a link to the Yale Waitlist Thread 2007.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384628

It appears that, in some cases, applicants were taken off of the waitlist in a random order that didn't correspond with their rank on the tier system. Be forewarned; the thread is a depressing read.

jbar: If you're still following this thread, I found posts from last year that state the number of initial acceptances was 196.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5164511&postcount=127
Are you sure about that 160 number? 160 seems low.

160 initial acceptances from a total 236 acceptances means that 76 acceptances came from the waitlist and only about 25 applicants--25% of the class--matriculated from the waitlist. It's difficult to immagine 76 offers being made to the waitlist and only about 25 applicants accepting a spot.

160 is low. It was in the high 190s last year initially, with about 40 in our class off the waitlist. Don't read much into the tiers... they'll select ppl based on their vision of the class as a whole (and sometimes by gender if the yield was skewed in one direction). This entire process is a crapshoot anyway, so it's pointless to try to guess at anything. Congrats to those who made it (see you at Second Look!), and best of luck to the waitlisters! PM me with questions (but not too many... I'm only here to fight misinformation, not to give life advice).

-YSM I

Here's a link to the Yale Waitlist Thread 2007.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384628

It appears that, in some cases, applicants were taken off of the waitlist in a random order that didn't correspond with their rank on the tier system. Be forewarned; the thread is a depressing read.

jbar: If you're still following this thread, I found posts from last year that state the number of initial acceptances was 196.

160 initial acceptances from a total 236 acceptances means that 76 acceptances came from the waitlist and only about 25 applicants--25% of the class--matriculated from the waitlist. It's difficult to immagine 76 offers being made to the waitlist and only about 25 applicants accepting a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's wait list thread is pretty grim. During my interview day, there was mention of being more conservative in initial acceptances this year so that things wouldn't be as tight as last year. So let's hope this is a better wait list year than last...

If that's what the posts say, I'd trust it. I was giving a ballpark figure based on what I remembered from Silverman's talk a few months ago. But 190 sounds about right.

Also just want to remind people that there is a lot of variation year to year how many people come off the waitlist. So don't obsess too much over what happened last year. But over the last few years I've seen:

1: Waitlists don't move much before May 15th, people hold multiple spots till the last second.

2: If you really love somewhere, push hard to get in. Send updates, have people send letters, etc. If you are waitlisted it means they think you can do the work, so you just have to get one of the spots that open up.

3: For the good of everyone, please please take yourself off waitlists you don't want to be on, drop acceptances to schools you know you aren't going to because you have a better spot. If everyone did this the whole process would be a lot smoother and less drawn out.

Do you think we can expect any wait list movement before the end of May? (I still haven't gotten my letter but am keeping my fingers crossed and desperate for information.)

Has anyone received their acceptance packet in the mail yet?

I am not sure if this is the "acceptance packet" you're talking about, but I received my acceptance letter and info about the 2nd look on Tuesday. I just sent in my deposit so maybe a bigger package from Yale will be coming my way? Hope that helps! :)

Has anyone else received their acceptance packet. And for those that did, is it a small letter or a large package. Thanks

Last year's wait list thread is pretty grim. During my interview day, there was mention of being more conservative in initial acceptances this year so that things wouldn't be as tight as last year. So let's hope this is a better wait list year than last...

That’s interesting. I recall reading somewhere (I can’t seem to find the source now) that last year was a record year for acceptances from the waitlist.

I love YSM, but there are horror stories like this one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5317637&postcount=452

And it makes me wonder if there are any reliable sources for clear information.

Don’t forget that the purpose of the waitlist is to keep applicants interested so that the school can always find a student to fill an empty spot—even if it’s August 26.

I was surfing the yale med school website last night and came across a link to a listing of all the students individually by name in each of the classes, notably where they did their undegraduate degree. It is kind of telling where their students come from - the vast majority are Ivy league grads (tons from Yale and Harvard), or other highly ranked national research unis (MIT, Chicago, Stanford, etc) - very few "normal" colleges listed - very few state universities - they are the rare exceptions. Not exactly a "diverse" undergrad institution representation...

http://www.yale.edu/bulletin/html/med/statistics.html

Not sure if this information comforts anybody who just got rejected or waitlisted, but it seems to me that one's already tiny chances of getting into Yale Med is further reduced by their undergrad institution...although I am sure they would vehemently deny it is a factor...

M-1 here - are you sure you actually looked at the page you are referencing? Let me name a few of the schools on that list of people:
U Wisconsin, UC Santa Barbara, Hamilton College, Rice, Notre Dame, Allegheny, Georgia, Vassar, Bowdoin, Michigan, South Florida, Texas-San Antonio, State U NY Albany... I mean honestly, what more do you want from the school? Sure, there are lots of people here from Yale, Harvard, Columbia.... so what? Many great students go to Ivies for undergrad, and many of those same great students are the ones who eventually come here for med school. There's no hidden agenda; Yale picks the best people they can get, and the top undergrads (surprise, surprise) have some of those best students. As far as I can tell your chance of getting in is hardly influenced by your undergrad.

With that in mind... I did not go to an Ivy school, and there's no Ivy vs non-Ivy thing going on here. Of 100 people in the class we represent 48 different undergrads. It would be difficult to expect any better from the admissions office.

This is a very very diverse place - come see for yourself. Lots of undergrads, lots of countries, lots of regions of the US, lots of religions, lots of backgrounds and life experiences and interests and goals.

so no one knows how we find out what "tier" we're in if we were waitlisted?

for those accepted, have you received your snail mail acceptance letter? i still have not and i want to know if i'm in the minority...

for those accepted, have you received your snail mail acceptance letter? i still have not and i want to know if i'm in the minority...

You should have received the letter by now. You should call and email them immediately. There is a time limit of 10 days for responding! Best of luck.

so no one knows how we find out what "tier" we're in if we were waitlisted?

bump

(I've seen last year's thread, but would specifically like to know when we will be tiered this year.)

I don't know the official answer, but I would be surprised if you heard anything before the week of May 15th. Typically they don't know how many people are going to be holding spots, and there is a big difference between if it's 90 or 60 in terms of how likely one is to get off the waitlist.

Anyone who's heading to revisit on Thursday--any particular clothes we need to bring, do you think? Anything fancier than jeans?

For those who went to the revisit, how was it? What was the turnout? Was there any word on the number of initial acceptances? Did anyone provide information that might bolster the spirits of those of us on the waitlist? :)

My pre-med advisor said that according to her secret manual, Yale divides it's wait list into 3 tiers after/around May 1st. Anyone hear something similar? Anyone hear any news about the wait list at all?