Yale (full tuition FA) vs. UCLA (Geffen Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iliasis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post removed at OP's request.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh, I don't think any of your Yale pros or UCLA cons are strong enough to warrant turning down a Geffen. I don't think matching back to the east coast will be a problem, especially given that your roots are there. Residency interviewers will take your reasons for wanting to return to the east coast seriously. I also wouldn't focus on rank or prestige outside of medicine too much. Go for the Geffen and don't look back!
Edit: unless I misunderstood- is Yale giving you a full tuition scholarship, or do you mean you'll be paying full tuition there?

Reactions: 3 users
Ah, if that's the case my answer is still the same, it's just not as clear-cut as I had first thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, if that's the case my answer is still the same, it's just not as clear-cut as I had first thought.
Yes sorry edited post! I received full tuition financial aid at Yale so I’d just need to pay for cost of living.

Debt-free in LA >>> accumulating debt in New Haven.

You'll be able to match back to the east coast from UCLA.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yale, hands down. UCLA is a great school but I don't think it has the cache that Yale has. Plus, UCLA has a cut-throat culture while Yale is known for stress-free. AOA at UCLA, I imagine, is a shi*tshow.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
I'll just echo what some of the above have said: match list at UCLA is probably Cali-heavy because most people who go there want to stay in Cali, not because of their inability to match on the east coast. I would also say forget about the prestige. Ask yourself if the stress-free unstructuredness of the Yale System is worth the money to you. The Yale System makes Yale completely different from any other school out there, so if that is the main thing complicating this for you, talk to current students about their experience.

Side note: It blows my mind how many of these posts there are (Geffen vs X)...I didn't apply to UCLA but they must be giving some serious red flags at interview day for people to consider turning down debt-free education in favor of a $100k+ option.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll just echo what some of the above have said: match list at UCLA is probably Cali-heavy because most people who go there want to stay in Cali, not because of their inability to match on the east coast. I would also say forget about the prestige. Ask yourself if the stress-free unstructuredness of the Yale System is worth the money to you. The Yale System makes Yale completely different from any other school out there, so if that is the main thing complicating this for you, talk to current students about their experience.

Side note: It blows my mind how many of these posts there are (Geffen vs X)...I didn't apply to UCLA but they must be giving some serious red flags at interview day for people to consider turning down debt-free education in favor of a $100k+ option.
Hey yeah I actually absolutely loved my interview day at ucla (maybe even more than Yale). No red flags whatsoever for me it’s just a comparison of where I want to eventually end up (surgical specialty on east coast) and what would be best primed to get me there. Also my ties/connections to the east coast make me a little apprehensive about leaving. Thanks for the input appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
Hey yeah I actually absolutely loved my interview day at ucla (maybe even more than Yale). No red flags whatsoever for me it’s just a comparison of where I want to eventually end up (surgical specialty on east coast) and what would be best primed to get me there. Also my ties/connections to the east coast make me a little apprehensive about leaving. Thanks for the input appreciate it
That's fair, I think having your SO/support system on the east coast makes Yale that much more appealing.

I'll reiterate I don't think Yale vs UCLA will make that much of a difference in terms of your chances of landing a solid surgical specialty residency on the east coast. (but I'm just another applicant--hopefully someone with more clout can chime in)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Yale, hands down. UCLA is a great school but I don't think it has the cache that Yale has. Plus, UCLA has a cut-throat culture while Yale is known for stress-free. AOA at UCLA, I imagine, is a shi*tshow.

UCLA is now ranked 6th with a reputation score of 4.3 vs Yale (ranked 15th with a PD reputation score of 4.1). UCLA is more prestigious than Yale and is cheaper. @PapayaJambalaya said, I would go to UCLA.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People are so different, it’s what makes the world an interesting place. Some people really crave proximity to family and familiar surroundings. I personally love travel, new places. Sounds like OP is from the northeast? If it were me, the freshness of a new place, especially one where it might be 70 degrees in January would send me straight to LA. Plus the money- starting with internship, paying back a thousand dollars a month for ten years at best. Take the money, go to UCLA, you earned it! Congratulations

Can you elaborate a bit more on the cutthroat culture at ucla? The students seemed happy when I was there

People are so different, it’s what makes the world an interesting place. Some people really crave proximity to family and familiar surroundings. I personally love travel, new places. Sounds like OP is from the northeast? If it were me, the freshness of a new place, especially one where it might be 70 degrees in January would send me straight to LA. Plus the money- starting with internship, paying back a thousand dollars a month for ten years at best. Take the money, go to UCLA, you earned it! Congratulations
I’m totally ok with going somewhere new but in general I want to settle in east coast. Personally prefer it to the west - I like seasons!

• Wow
Can you elaborate a bit more on the cutthroat culture at ucla? The students seemed happy when I was there
well, my question is did you meet any MS3 and MS4? Most of people we meet on the trail are MS 1 or 2, ie., before clinical years. Med school really doesn't start until you are on the wards. When you have so many med students and so few spots to rotate and also when you have the pressure to honors, the cut-throatness will be out in the open. MS1 and MS2's are clueless about what's ahead of them. Talk to some MS3 and MS4's if you can. I happened to speak with a lot of MS3's at Yale and I totally saw the advantage of the Yale System. You simply can't judge the environment of a school based on preclinical time.

well, my question is did you meet any MS3 and MS4? Most of people we meet on the trail are MS 1 or 2, ie., before clinical years. Med school really doesn't start until you are on the wards. When you have so many med students and so few spots to rotate and also when you have the pressure to honors, the cut-throatness will be out in the open. MS1 and MS2's are clueless about what's ahead of them. Talk to some MS3 and MS4's if you can. I happened to speak with a lot of MS3's at Yale and I totally saw the advantage of the Yale System. You simply can't judge the environment of a school based on preclinical time.

So if I am understanding you correctly, there is no basis for your claim of there being a cutthroat culture at UCLA other than the fact that there is AOA.

Was accepted at both schools (but matriculating elsewhere due to financial reasons). They're both great options, but I would personally choose UCLA in your case since your pros for the school are much stronger. You will easily be able to match back to the east coast (MGH / BWH-level residencies, etc.) from UCLA, and it definitely has the leg up in terms of prestige (higher residency director scores, #6 USNRW ranking and rising, as well as a much stronger hospital system). On top of that you have the Geffen Scholarship.

I initially also had concerns about "cut-throat" environments, but by talking with M2/3/4's from several T10's (UCLA included), I got the impression this fear was overblown and people were still extremely collaborative / helpful / not gunnerish during clinical year. Ironically, it seemed like students from lower-ranked schools I interviewed at tended to be more cut-throat than those from higher-ranked schools since they have more incentive to do so (while the vast majority from top schools match phenomenally either way). Not putting the former down in any way whatsoever, just stating my observations.

Just my two cents, and ultimately it's going to be a personal decision. Congrats again and good luck!!!

Reactions: 5 users
That is true, I haven't met with any of the upperclassmen and I was hoping to get to meet with them during second look, which as you probably know is cancelled for most/all schools :(

I agree that Yale did seem like much more of a low-stress/collaborative than the other schools which is definitely appealing. Also historically it seems to have been a t10 school - my apprehension about it is mainly that is seems to be decreasing in rank quite steadily every year whereas ucla has been rising in ranks. With step 1 becoming p/f I'd worry that by the time I'd be applying to residency it wouldn't be quite the program it once was amongst residency directors and deans.

That is true, I haven't met with any of the upperclassmen and I was hoping to get to meet with them during second look, which as you probably know is cancelled for most/all schools :(

I agree that Yale did seem like much more of a low-stress/collaborative than the other schools which is definitely appealing. Also historically it seems to have been a t10 school - my apprehension about it is mainly that is seems to be decreasing in rank quite steadily every year whereas ucla has been rising in ranks. With step 1 becoming p/f I'd worry that by the time I'd be applying to residency it wouldn't be quite the program it once was amongst residency directors and deans.
The difference in “prestige” is minimal or even nonexistent.

The differences in cost and location are significant.

If you like the low-stress environment at Yale, it's more than worth the $. That money will be inconsequential over the course of your career, but your happiness over that crucial 4 year period of your life is very important.

I was worried about the same given that I have a choice to make between NYU and Yale. But I decided on Yale. I think it's an excellent program and it will remain so. If you want to talk to upper classsmen at UCLA, you should call the admissions to see if they can arrange it.

Rather than playing the guessing game, what exactly is your price tag for Yale? If you're talking about close to 100k after the scholarship, then go to UCLA. (This is me assuming they aren't paying for your living whatsoever or any of the misc other. Don't forget tuition/COL inflation each year. Your price tag will certainly be higher than you are estimating.) It's the same product, they're selling with minor differences. The salesmen in question are even wearing the same suit (Same prestige). No reason to pay far more for it

Last edited:
Rather than playing the guessing game, what exactly is your price tag for Yale? If you're talking about close to 100k after the scholarship, then go to UCLA. (This is me assuming they aren't paying for your living whatsoever or any of the misc other. Don't forget tuition/COL inflation each year. Your price tag will certainly be higher than you are estimating.) It's the same product, they're selling with minor differences. The salesmen in question are even wearing the same suit (Same prestige). No reason to pay far more for it
If I were to go to Yale I would need to pay only for total cost of living which they estimate to be ~32k a year, so over 4 years that would be about 128k. I would certainly need to take on loans in this case.

I was worried about the same given that I have a choice to make between NYU and Yale. But I decided on Yale. I think it's an excellent program and it will remain so. If you want to talk to upper classsmen at UCLA, you should call the admissions to see if they can arrange it.
Congrats on some very awesome choices! What drew you to Yale over NYU?

If I were to go to Yale I would need to pay only for total cost of living which they estimate to be ~32k a year, so over 4 years that would be about 128k. I would certainly need to take on loans in this case.

Congrats on some very awesome choices! What drew you to Yale over NYU?
I personally feel that Yale is a better fit for me. NYU strikes me as too academic oriented in its student body..

UCLA does not have the cachet of Yale. Its not even close. It is a great school but its no Yale.

with your logic, Yale is like number 8 on the east coast. oof that's rough.. good luck matching.

these X vs Y threads have become such a bore.

edit: lets not forget! Yale-New Haven hospital, basically unranked on the east coast.

• Haha
So 130k to pay to live, potentially after inflation it'll probably be 140k. Then by the time you pay it off, closer to 200k if you decide to live comfortably as a resident and use your attending pay to make bigger payments.

Don't drink whatever Kool-aid the throwaway kid is sipping. Upwards of 200k doesn't justify it when you've got a T10 cost free attendance. Here's one piece of useful business/financial advice I received in the working world "Don't take advice from someone who doesn't have to live with the consequences." You're the only one taking on that burden of debt. We're not concerned with the outcome, you are.

You'll look back in 10 years when all of that attending paycheck goes to your bank account and smile as you drive your Ferrari into the sunset.

So 130k to pay to live, potentially after inflation it'll probably be 140k. Then by the time you pay it off, closer to 200k if you decide to live comfortably as a resident and use your attending pay to make bigger payments.

Don't drink whatever Kool-aid the throwaway kid is sipping. Upwards of 200k doesn't justify it when you've got a T10 cost free attendance. Here's one piece of useful business/financial advice I received in the working world "Don't take advice from someone who doesn't have to live with the consequences." You're the only one taking on that burden of debt. We're not concerned with the outcome, you are.

You'll look back in 10 years when all of that attending paycheck goes to your bank account and smile as you drive your Ferrari into the sunset.

Or you can smile as you drive your Ferrari into the sunset with your Yale degree on your wall. 200k wont make a difference over a 35 year career.

Or you can smile as you drive your Ferrari into the sunset with your Yale degree on your wall. 200k wont make a difference over a 35 year career.
^^^this is definitely the more likely outcome.

-those who make decisions based on prestige/how others will view them are more likely to buy a Ferrari.

-Those who make financially wise decisions and go to UCLA for free are not the type of people who would buy a Ferrari.

I think the ucla/no Ferrari/no debt person cares less about what others think and will be happier in the long run :)

^^^this is definitely the more likely outcome.

-those who make decisions based on prestige/how others will view them are more likely to buy a Ferrari.

-Those who make financially wise decisions and go to UCLA for free are not the type of people who would buy a Ferrari.

I think the ucla/no Ferrari/no debt person cares less about what others think and will be happier in the long run :)

I agree with you. If we had no desire for material possessions, we would ALL be happier. BUT, this isn't the case. If I have to drive a car, why drive a honda when I can drive a ferrari?

Aren’t you the one leaning towards turning down a full COA at washU for Hopkins because, in your own post, it sounds more impressive to tell other people?

Not sure if it’s because of step 1 p/f, US news ranks just coming out, or if it always has been like this but these school choice posts seem more dominated by perceived prestige... it’s bringing out some wild opinions here on sdn.

UCLA, no debt, amazing weather, living in a vibrant city seems really appealing. Stress free at Yale seems like the biggest selling point, as well as closer to SO (how close though?) you decide if it’s worth the debt, and living in new haven. Good luck.

Aren’t you the one leaning towards turning down a full COA at washU for Hopkins because, in your own post, it sounds more impressive to tell other people?

Not sure if it’s because of step 1 p/f, US news ranks just coming out, or if it always has been like this but these school choice posts seem more dominated by perceived prestige... it’s bringing out some wild opinions here on sdn.

UCLA, no debt, amazing weather, living in a vibrant city seems really appealing. Stress free at Yale seems like the biggest selling point, as well as closer to SO (how close though?) you decide if it’s worth the debt, and living in new haven. Good luck.
my question is why stress is always ignored on SDN. Just because we fought so many years to get where we are now, it doesn't mean we have to keep fighting each other going forward. I heard a lot of stories from UCLA being super cutthroat and incohesive.

Yes I am weighing my options between WashU (full COA) and Hopkins. But that is a much tougher decision. No offense to anyone here (sincerely), but UCLA is not WashU.

• Okay...
  • Haha
my question is why stress is always ignored on SDN. Just because we fought so many years to get where we are now, it doesn't mean we have to keep fighting each other going forward. I heard a lot of stories from UCLA being super cutthroat and incohesive.
Medical school will be stressful wherever you go. The biggest difference constituting less stress sentiment here at Yale seems to be no AOA. I am not privy to these cutthroat UCLA stories. To OP, unless you are getting these stories directly from a med student at the school in question, I would take anecdotal info from anyone, not just sdn posters, with a decent grain of salt and do your own inquiry. Really sucks how second looks are cancelled though.

Note also a lot of people in these threads have their own biases based on where they are attending/got in, factors important to them etc. that is evidenced by post histories but sometimes not mentioned. Not trying to call out anyone specifically or anything, just food for thought.
For example, I have my own biases made by financial struggles so I think UCLA wins easy. However you have to decide/inform us on how much debt weighs on you, etc. Will having more debt in turn give you more stress or not?

Medical school will be stressful wherever you go. The biggest difference constituting less stress sentiment here at Yale seems to be no AOA. I am not privy to these cutthroat UCLA stories. To OP, unless you are getting these stories directly from a med student at the school in question, I would take anecdotal info from anyone, not just sdn posters, with a decent grain of salt and do your own inquiry. Really sucks how second looks are cancelled though.

Note also a lot of people in these threads have their own biases based on where they are attending/got in, factors important to them etc. that is evidenced by post histories but sometimes not mentioned. Not trying to call out anyone specifically or anything, just food for thought.
For example, I have my own biases made by financial struggles so I think UCLA wins easy. However you have to decide/inform us on how much debt weighs on you, etc. Will having more debt in turn give you more stress or not?
Totally note the biases people definitely have. To answer your question debt certainly weighs heavily for me and it is by no means something that I am taking for granted. It certainly is something that will stress me out. However, a cutthroat culture and having to compete for knowledge/attention during rotations (like many have alluded to will happen at ucla) would also most likely stress me out so at this point I'm not sure which one beats out the other.

UCLA does not have the cachet of Yale. Its not even close. It is a great school but its no Yale.
Do you mean in medicine or as a general institution? It seems like the reputation scores of the medical schools are relatively comparable and the ucla hospital system is quite expansive - perhaps one of the most expansive in the country. During my interview day a huge topic of conversation was how they recently became the #1 health system in california (beating out ucsf).

Yale provides you with some interesting perks for the rest of your life. I would recommend Yale if you would like said perks, as the name carries a great deal of power in certain scenarios. Back in the day we called it the "Yale card," which you could cash (regardless of your tenuous relation to the institution or YNHH) to make one big move about once in your life if not more so long as it was on your resume. New Haven may not seem that great, but it's got it's perks, hop on Metro North and you can head to Manhattan with your friends while also having enough cash left over to have fun while you're there. UCLA will carry you far out West, but in the Northeast and in the halls of power, that Yale name will mean more than a few spots on some nonsense magazine's rank list ever will.

Reactions: 3 users
Yale provides you with some interesting perks for the rest of your life. I would recommend Yale if you would like said perks, as the name carries a great deal of power in certain scenarios. Back in the day we called it the "Yale card," which you could cash (regardless of your tenuous relation to the institution or YNHH) to make one big move about once in your life if not more so long as it was on your resume. New Haven may not seem that great, but it's got it's perks, hop on Metro North and you can head to Manhattan with your friends while also having enough cash left over to have fun while you're there. UCLA will carry you far out West, but in the Northeast and in the halls of power, that Yale name will mean more than a few spots on some nonsense magazine's rank list ever will.

I second that. Medicine is a very entrenched field. There are certain elites which will always remain so no matter what others outside medicine think (USNews, or SDN opinions). Yale is definitely one of them.

UCLA is a great institution but Harvard and Yale are the two institutions that carry a very high level of prestige both within the field of medicine AND outside, it's a global brand of prestige. Anywhere you go in the world it will carry weight. If you have either of those on your resume it DOES make a difference.

Thanks for the input. It certainly sounds like Yale could bring a lot of perks, but do you think that these perks will translate into the medical field as well? For example, the lay person won't know about Mayo but in medicine Mayo is clearly a huge name that opens lots of doors.

Thanks for the input. It certainly sounds like Yale could bring a lot of perks, but do you think that these perks will translate into the medical field as well? For example, the lay person won't know about Mayo but in medicine Mayo is clearly a huge name that opens lots of doors.

I'm not sure what your plans are after you graduate from MD, but let me just say the Ivy League loves Ivy League. There is a level of inbreeding amongst them that carries from undergrad, medical school, residency, fellowship to getting a high level position when you're an attending. Harvard training institutions for example love Harvard, Yale, & Columbia. Yale will not prevent you from going to California that's for sure.

It's not always about rankings since they do fluctuate a lot, I rejected an acceptance from Mayo Medical School when it was ranked in top 25. I rejected NYU when it was ranked in the 30s at that time. Mt Sinai and Cornell were always considered the better NYC institutions over NYU at that time. Yale was top 10 at that time as was Duke, Baylor and UMich. These 4 are currently not ranked in the top 10 but Yale and even Duke are historically top 10 in most people's eyes in medicine and I suspect they will be back in the mix in the long run.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on these “perks”? Thanks!

Detail, but I thought I’d mention if it might be useful to someone, as someone who lives in NYC that Yale is over ~3hr away, each way. Accessible, but you definitely have to plan a whole day around it, can’t really just hop on a train!

I have to admit, being a city dweller my whole life, new haven was quite off-putting. I had an interviewer also raised in nyc who told me point blank it’s very different—but she loves it as she is raising a family and it is quieter. So, I guess it really depends on what kind of environment one prefers!

Status
Not open for further replies.