Yale medical students issue demands for diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The problem with national standards for education is that it severely erodes teacher autonomy, and teachers don't like that any more than physicians do.
One problem, not the problem. Teacher autonomy is already down the toilet due to state standards and the like anyway. I view his "redistribute teachers equally" bit as the most chagrin-inducing part of the proposal, as if you can just distribute people where you choose. Outside of the military, that just isn't a thing in a capitalist society.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And that's fine. Once you have money, if you do well in life, do you want your children to not benefit? If you build substantial wealth and land holdings, do you think it's fair to just have to give them up rather than pass them on to your children so that they can live a better life than you did? That's the ****ing American dream, to give your children a better life than you had. To say that it's unjust is against what most Americans would view as a core principle of American values. Hell, most immigrants that come to this country work their asses off, specifically so that they can pay to send their kids to professional school and give them a wealthy, prosperous life that they never could back home. They literally sacrifice their entire working life for their children, and you have no right to say that is wrong to do.
Because if slaves had the land to pass down to their children, etc...connect the dots

Teach For America is also something that contributes to the erosion of quality teachers in low income areas, primarily PoC

Members don't see this ad :)
Because if slaves had the land to pass down to their children, etc...connect the dots
Yeah, but it didn't happen. And it can't happen, any more than we can go back in time and un-kill a few million Native Americans. In America, you pay for the things you have done, and you are compensated for the wrongs perpetuated against you. To take money from those that have done nothing wrong and give to those that have not personally been wronged is the definition of unjust.

And that's fine. Once you have money, if you do well in life, do you want your children to not benefit? If you build substantial wealth and land holdings, do you think it's fair to just have to give them up rather than pass them on to your children so that they can live a better life than you did? That's the ****ing American dream, to give your children a better life than you had. To say that it's unjust is against what most Americans would view as a core principle of American values. Hell, most immigrants that come to this country work their asses off, specifically so that they can pay to send their kids to professional school and give them a wealthy, prosperous life that they never could back home. They literally sacrifice their entire working life for their children, and you have no right to say that is wrong to do.

As long as you note that the programs discussed in the book were all the major Federal programs that helped poor white people in times of economic distress

Outside the famously wealthy (Hiltons being the best example), very few of us have more than 1-2 generations of anything substantial passed down. Like, I have a bedroom set that was my great-grandmother's. There was no family money or land or anything like that from that far back, and I'm a Southern white male, so if anyone was going to have such things it would be me.

If furniture is enough to grant me the keys to wealth and prosperity, then so be it.

Reactions: 3 users
Outside the famously wealthy (Hiltons being the best example), very few of us have more than 1-2 generations of anything substantial passed down. Like, I have a bedroom set that was my great-grandmother's. There was no family money or land or anything like that from that far back, and I'm a Southern white male, so if anyone was going to have such things it would be me.

If furniture is enough to grant me the keys to wealth and prosperity, then so be it.

Blacks can not protect their wealth through homeownership

One problem, not the problem. Teacher autonomy is already down the toilet due to state standards and the like anyway. I view his "redistribute teachers equally" bit as the most chagrin-inducing part of the proposal, as if you can just distribute people where you choose. Outside of the military, that just isn't a thing in a capitalist society.

Teachers are rebelling big time against Common Core and so forth. It's a madhouse. My ex is a teacher and I got to hear about it all the time.

Buy property in desirable areas, problem solved. And I know, you'll be all "white flight," but the simple fact is some areas will keep appreciating regardless of who moves there (Manhattan, SF, etc).
Lol and pray that you're the token black person. Ever heard of white flight?

Spectacular.

But a good example. There is a large lake in my area that just keeps getting more expensive. A literal leper could build a nice house there and property values would still go up.

Also, what's stopping well-to-do blacks from setting up their own nice neighborhoods? That's essentially what white flight is after all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and your home should NOT BE YOUR PRIMARY STORE OF WEALTH to begin with. Homes are an expense that you happen to get some money back for at the end, NOT a wealth store. This is a huge misconception that many people have about home ownership- if you can't access it without getting rid of your place of living and taking on a new payment or by taking out a loan that you'll have to pay back, it isn't a wealth store. Yeah, you can pass on some wealth when you up and die by getting rid of your home, or you can downgrade, but it's just poor personal finance to view your home as an asset to be tapped. The only property that is an actual asset is that which you get an income stream from that pays out more than you owe on taxes and mortgage payments.

The real difference between the wealthy and the middle and lower class is how they view money, careers, goals, and investments. That and multi-generational income planning. I can do little but shake my head at some of the conventional middle class ideas of personal finance and wealth. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Spectacular.

But a good example. There is a large lake in my area that just keeps getting more expensive. A literal leper could build a nice house there and property values would still go up.

Also, what's stopping well-to-do blacks from setting up their own nice neighborhoods? That's essentially what white flight is after all.
I was actually going to say similar- why not establish a neighborhood that is nice, has high property values, and isn't white? Such areas have existed in the past, it's not like it's impossible. And nowadays they won't get burned down like Black Wall Street.

Oh, and your home should NOT BE YOUR PRIMARY STORE OF WEALTH to begin with. Homes are an expense that you happen to get some money back for at the end, NOT a wealth store. This is a huge misconception that many people have about home ownership- if you can't access it without getting rid of your place of living and taking on a new payment or by taking out a loan that you'll have to pay back, it isn't a wealth store. Yeah, you can pass on some wealth when you up and die by getting rid of your home, or you can downgrade, but it's just poor personal finance to view your home as an asset to be tapped. The only property that is an actual asset is that which you get an income stream from that pays out more than you owe on taxes and mortgage payments.

The real difference between the wealthy and the middle and lower class is how they view money, careers, goals, and investments. That and multi-generational income planning. I can do little but shake my head at some of the conventional middle class ideas of personal finance and wealth. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Ugh, that's my in-laws financial plan and I'm dreading the day it blows up in their faces.

The way this works is investing, pure and simple. You can do land, but it needs to be undeveloped. Otherwise, save up lots in 401Ks, or just regular investing, and don't have an extravagant retirement.

I was actually going to say similar- why not establish a neighborhood that is nice, has high property values, and isn't white? Such areas have existed in the past, it's not like it's impossible. And nowadays they won't get burned down like Black Wall Street.
At the risk of being called racist (and possibly deserving it), I think this kind of thing is happening in Atlanta to a degree.

There are lots more rich white people than rich black people and the more people that desire the properties in the neighborhood the higher the values

There are lots more rich white people than rich black people and the more people that desire the properties in the neighborhood the higher the values
So you only get a few high end non-white neighborhoods, not the end of the world. Or, as we've both been saying, go somewhere with guaranteed property values.

Not that other posters aren't making interesting points here, but I find it interesting that @PlsHelp has been quite active in this thread yet has conspicuously not responded to my post when mine was arguably the most extensive rebuttal to some of his claims.

You don't look tough by picking fights with those who are bigger than you when you run away at the first connecting blow . . .

Blacks greatly value home ownership. It's deeply embedded into our community. It's something tangible that they have, knowing that they can always shelter their children

Not that other posters aren't making interesting points here, but I find it interesting that @PlsHelp has been quite active in this thread yet has conspicuously not responded to my post when mine was arguably the most extensive rebuttal to some of his claims.

You don't look tough by picking fights with those who are bigger than you when you run away at the first connecting blow . . .
Sloop, you give yourself too much credit. Copy and paste whatever it was you said.

Blacks greatly value home ownership. It's deeply embedded into our community. It's something tangible that they have, knowing that they can always shelter their children
That's how most of the middle and lower class is regardless of race, and it's really a mentality that tends to bury people financially all in the name of "feels."

And no, we are not the same person to whoever said that. Is it that impossible to have another socially conscious person on this site?

This thread is like a bunch of people trying to prove they aren't racist or sexist and nobody needs to be protected from microagressions and then @sloop assumes this woman is a man and there is a racist joke :whoa:

This thread is like a bunch of people trying to prove they aren't racist or sexist and nobody needs to be protected from microagressions and then @sloop assumes this woman is a man and there is a racist joke :whoa:

Racist joke? Please point it out

Sloop, you give yourself too much credit. Copy and paste whatever it was you said.

Here it is.

Who did I assume was a man?

If you're referring to gendered pronouns, seriously who cares? I sometimes try to use singular their when it's going to distract people, but sometimes I forget because honestly I find it clunky. Generally, my style is to pick a pronoun and stick with it. It has nothing to do with the gender of the person. His/her is ridiculous and worse than singular their.

Don't read into it that much. It's honestly not that deep.

Last edited:
Pre-K, elementary, middle, and high school funding that is equal across the entire country and not based on property values of the surrounding area, qualified teachers dispersed equally throughout the schools in these districts, continued training to combat education issues mandatory for all teachers in the United States, more robust summer school and after-school programs, especially those in poorer areas, a national standard for regular/honors/AP classes in all schools, an increase in arts and music programs in school, and an early-college connection for all schools within 25 miles of a college/university. This would solve a fairly sized chunk of the education disparity.
Affirmative Action based on parent's income and special circumstances would work too.
Pre-K, elementary, middle, and high school teachers are not your play toys to arrange and distribute how you see fit. Public schools are funded by local property taxes directly for schools in that area. Deal with it.

No, I think I know what I'm talking about because I went to a liberal arts college and thus have experienced lots of social justice arguments and because I happen to be good at philosophy and thus can identify good arguments . . .

This is a bull**** argument that SJ types put forward all the time. This idea that nobody can criticize people's feelings or experiences. That's not how debate and politics work. Of course people have a right to feel however they want about things, but they are not entitled to hide behind this to avoid criticism when conflating their phenomenological descriptions with factual representation of an external reality.

People have all sorts of experiences. While these experiences are real in the sense that they are really having them, they are not necessarily real in the sense of representing an external truth. A clear example of this is a person tripping on LSD. Such a person may see the person standing next to them as a green woman when it is actually a white man. Their experience is real in the sense that they are really having that experience but it does not reflect an objective reality. People are frequently deceived by their perspective. In this case, the deceiving perspective is the perspective of a high person.

I've met a bunch of Jewish people who would be quick to call people antisemitic for things that were said in good faith. They did this because they were hypersensitive about the issue. Their Jewish perspective clouded their ability to see how antisemitism was not really all around them.

This is not an infrequent phenomenon in cultures of people who were historically discriminated against even if the level of current discrimination is far less/virtually nonexistent compared to what it used to be. People in these cultures are primed through teaching, family, and culture to be vigilant for cases of discrimination. They may then have experiences of discrimination that are disproportionate to objective reality.

No it doesn't. SJWs are largely not people from the "disenfranchised" groups they claim to champion. Typically they are college aged white females who feel a bunch of white guilt and want to escape the feeling that they are terrible people for living a life of privilege. Their solution to this is to be very vocal about how educated white people like themselves are terrible and oppressive and need to come to see the light. They also cling outrageously hard to any quasi-minority status they may have (being gay, being a woman, etc.) and trump up issues to make it seem like they are victims and thus not part of the powerful people they claim to despise.

It's about identity, not social improvement. This is obvious to anyone who has a good sense of how people tend to operate and come to adopt activist politics. People—young people especially—love to be part of a movement. Most of the time, what the movement is actually for is secondary.

The point of medical school is to ensure the medical competence of its graduates, not to provide a "multifaceted experience."

Contrary to the anti-intellectuals who try to make it seem like doctors are emotionless, unempathic, science robots, clinical medicine itself does a great job of fostering these qualities in doctors. Most doctors I have met do actually care deeply about patients. They just also happen to be smart and medically competent. The idea that doctors don't care about patients and their social situation or something is simply a made-up issue.

This type of empathy is fostered by interacting with patients and getting to know them. It is not fostered by sitting in class with a bunch of black medical students with sub-par performance who got in on affirmative action.

It's about both. Empathy for people's situations is important, but being medically competent is also critical. The vast majority of doctors I have met are both good, empathic people and medically competent. Again, this is not an actual issue with the way medicine is taught.
The point is, you think you know what youre talking about because you went to a liberal arts college and you know what makes a good argument. That's has nothing to do with understanding PoC.
For everything else you said, just read The New Jim Crowe. Maybe that will make you understand

If doctors had defended teachers when it first started happening, it could have been halted in its tracks and teachers would have defended us. Now the same thing is happening to doctors and doctors whine and complain about it, with no one else to defend us.

Pre-K, elementary, middle, and high school teachers are not your play toys to arrange and distribute how you see fit. Public schools are funded by local property taxes directly for schools in that area. Deal with it.
Do you know anything about redistricting ? Red lining ?

The point is, you think you know what youre talking about because you went to a liberal arts college and you know what makes a good argument. That's has nothing to do with understanding PoC.
For everything else you said, just read The New Jim Crowe. Maybe that will make you understand
What do you mean "understanding people of color"? If you mean understanding what it is like to be them, this is a stupid assertion because it is impossible for me to know that. As Thomas Nagel pointed out in what is it like to be a bat?, qualia is a thing that cannot be known externally, only phenomenologically.

If your point is that one can't have a coherent vision of reality without knowing the qualia of black peoples' experiences, that's also a stupid assertion and one that you surely can't believe. Like I said, we can't actually know the qualitative content of anyone's subjective experience but our own. If you think we're not experiencing reality because of this, you're either a nihilist or a solipsist. I can go into why these are stupid worldviews if you really want, but it should suffice to say that they have been thoroughly refuted as of hundreds of years ago. Virtually nobody considers them philosophically credible, largely because solipsism is basically an attenuated form of nihilism and nihilism is self-refuting.

I'm not going to read a book because some person on the Internet is incredulous that I would disagree with them.

I challenged your views, not the author of some book's. I want to know what you think and how you would respond to my claims. It's easy to try and quote a book nobody is going to read and appeal to its authority. It's also a fallacy. If you think it's such a poignant book and you are so enlightened on the subject, give me a synopsis of what you took from it and what you think about it. Seriously, dude, take ownership of your views—part of growing up is learning to do just that.

So I'm going to ask you again: what do you think of the points I made?

Reactions: 4 users

Why do you keep demanding everyone go read this one article? News flash: In this country (and everywhere that isn't a totalitarian dictatorship) no one is "obligated" to educate themselves from, or accept the tenets of, a given text. You make the assumption that you have found the one true gospel, revealed the truth of how you have been slighted, and we all must repent or some crap. I don't think anyone is arguing that there are clearly social and racial inequalities in the US. What they are arguing with is your blind devotion to a massively unrealistic set of demands you, @skinnylion, and the people at Yale have made.

What do you mean "understanding people of color"? If you mean understanding what it is like to be them, this is a stupid assertion because it is impossible for me to know that. As Thomas Nagel pointed out in what is it like to be a bat?, qualia is a thing that cannot be known externally, only phenomenologically.

If your point is that one can't have a coherent vision of reality without knowing the qualia of black peoples' experiences, that's also a stupid assertion and one that you surely can't believe. Like I said, we can't actually know the qualitative content of anyone's subjective experience but our own. If you think we're not experiencing reality because of this, you're either a nihilist or a solipsist. I can go into why these are stupid worldviews if you really want, but it should suffice to say that they have been thoroughly refuted as of hundreds of years ago. Virtually nobody considers them philosophically credible, largely because solipsism is basically an attenuated form of nihilism and nihilism is self-refuting.

I'm not going to read a book because some person on the Internet is incredulous that I would disagree with them.

I challenged your views, not the author of some book's. I want to know what you think and how you would respond to my claims. It's easy to try and quote a book nobody is going to read and appeal to its authority. It's also a fallacy. If you think it's such a poignant book and you are so enlightened on the subject, give me a synopsis of what you took from it and what you think about it. Seriously, dude, take ownership of your views—part of growing up is learning to do just that.

So I'm going to ask you again: what do you think of the points I made?
I think that you're arguing for arguments sake, and you're not trying to actually learn anything. I'm not demanding you read anything. I'm saying if you actually care to understand different points of views, and struggles that I've been saying, then read that book. If you don't care, then I'm not going to continue to argue the same thing. It's redundant.

Why do you keep demanding everyone go read this one article? News flash: In this country (and everywhere that isn't a totalitarian dictatorship) no one is "obligated" to educate themselves from, or accept the tenets of, a given text. You make the assumption that you have found the one true gospel, revealed the truth of how you have been slighted, and we all must repent or some crap. I don't think anyone is arguing that there are clearly social and racial inequalities in the US. What they are arguing with is your blind devotion to a massively unrealistic set of demands you, @skinnylion, and the people at Yale have made.
It's not an article, it's a book. Like I said, you're not obligated to read it. If you're doing more than arguing for arguments sake and you actually wanna understand why these students feel this way, then you can take 2 or 3 hours out of your day to read it. If not, then I'm not going to bother continuing to argue the same thing over and over when it falls on deaf ears

I acknowledged the funding system of schools a few pages ago, and am quite aware of how it works. My issue is that it creates a system of self-perpetuating poverty: poor children in poor schools in poor districts are less likely to go to college, and if they graduate from high school at all they are far more likely to join the workforce immediately instead of going to college. As the standards for entry-level jobs continue to rise, they will have a much harder time making a living, and are likely to have children. These kids grow up with poor parents and guess what? They also are likely to go to an underfunded school in a poor district in a poor neighborhood.
Of course this system is only made worse by housing discrimination, which places a lot of Black, Latino, and Asian people(s) in poor neighborhoods in the first place, leading to the racial component of this disparity.
And I think it is incredibly, incredibly obvious that the teachers are not my "playthings." For one thing I'm not an administrator over the school district, nor am the Executive over the Department of Education. What I posted was a direct response to the poster above me, I didn't ask for a per-adolescent, early-2005 "deal with it" response. I have actually spent the last 7 years working directly with administrators, teachers, unions, and students in the CMSD school district, as well as the East Cleveland and Parma City School Districts. I'm doing a hell of a lot more than "dealing with it," I'm working to change it.

All of this is essentially impossible to do in a country that is not communist or heavily socialist, as the teachers would have to work for the federal government in a completely nationalized system and all schools would have to fall under a nationalized system for that to be possible. There's also a whole lot of negative stuff and unintended consequences your plans would have, particularly for inner city areas. And then there's the funding problems...

How old are you? This sounds like the sort of plan that someone in the 18-22 demo would come up with, prior to being exposed to the reality of government and taxation that make such things impossible. And I don't mean that to come off as insulting- it's something that like, everybody goes through.
I'm 20, and I'm quite aware of the limitations. What I replied was not a manifesto for the immediate change of how the Department of Education should organize the school districts in the US (especially w/ the chasm between state and national), rather it was a response to the "there is no sure fire way to answer the race question" quote from @tymont12
I showed exactly what would be needed to end the racial disparity, and you helped in proving my point by showing just how vastly difficult it would be.
A good chunk of the posters in this thread make it seem as if there is no issue of race, or that AA is the Devil (or AntiChrist, as the Devil has a lot less evil attributed to him), while completely ignoring just how immense of an issue this really is, or just how enigmatic the diversity issue really is.

School funding isn't some panacea, you know. Poor kids do worse in school for many reasons, of which funding is a small one. Parental involvement and expectations, support at home, leisure time, safety, etc., are all major factors that don't go away by giving a school more money.

BTW, I'm 34 and spent a decade working for the government.

School funding isn't some panacea, you know. Poor kids do worse in school for many reasons, of which funding is a small one. Parental involvement and expectations, support at home, leisure time, safety, etc., are all major factors that don't go away by giving a school more money.

BTW, I'm 34 and spent a decade working for the government.
Yeah, and you get that there's a lot more to it than cash and redistribution. That was kind of my point with the age thing- you realize that solutions that seem simple fall on their face for a ton of reasons.

Yeah, and you get that there's a lot more to it than cash and redistribution. That was kind of my point with the age thing- you realize that solutions that seem simple fall on their face for a ton of reasons.

Yeah. There have been instances of poorly-performing schools in impoverished areas getting better funding and resources. The kids don't do much better.

If improved funding resulted in the kids doing much better, even if they didn't do as well as kids in affluent areas, everyone would be shouting about it. It would be rolled out in a lot of places. Fact is that there are, obviously, no easy answers to any of this.

The "solution" is to get people out of poverty. But how do you do that? Once they're adults, it's often too late. And the children of the impoverished adults tend to go on to become impoverished themselves, because they're raised by poor parents who are not educated or respected. It's a vicious cycle. You can't just take the kids away from their parents and raise them in better environments.

I acknowledged the funding system of schools a few pages ago, and am quite aware of how it works. My issue is that it creates a system of self-perpetuating poverty: poor children in poor schools in poor districts are less likely to go to college, and if they graduate from high school at all they are far more likely to join the workforce immediately instead of going to college. As the standards for entry-level jobs continue to rise, they will have a much harder time making a living, and are likely to have children. These kids grow up with poor parents and guess what? They also are likely to go to an underfunded school in a poor district in a poor neighborhood.
Of course this system is only made worse by housing discrimination, which places a lot of Black, Latino, and Asian people(s) in poor neighborhoods in the first place, leading to the racial component of this disparity.
And I think it is incredibly, incredibly obvious that the teachers are not my "playthings." For one thing I'm not an administrator over the school district, nor am the Executive over the Department of Education. What I posted was a direct response to the poster above me, I didn't ask for a per-adolescent, early-2005 "deal with it" response. I have actually spent the last 7 years working directly with administrators, teachers, unions, and students in the CMSD school district, as well as the East Cleveland and Parma City School Districts. I'm doing a hell of a lot more than "dealing with it," I'm working to change it.
The problem is you're trying to establish what you believe to be fairness. And your way of forcing that fairness is a top down approach to force it on teachers. It isn't the job of teachers to try to make up for every social ill of humankind or get impoverished kids up to speed with their rich counterparts. Teachers should be allowed to work where they want to, with kids who want to learn and not disrupt class, regardless if they are "needed" somewhere else.

Your proposed "solution" treats teachers like chess pieces to maneuver based on what you think is fair, regardless of whether a teacher actually wants to teach there. It's a form of enslavement and is offensive to all teachers.

I think that you're arguing for arguments sake, and you're not trying to actually learn anything. I'm not demanding you read anything. I'm saying if you actually care to understand different points of views, and struggles that I've been saying, then read that book. If you don't care, then I'm not going to continue to argue the same thing. It's redundant.

The issue here is that you are claiming to be right but you refuse to explain to me why you are right. You are pointing to a book that you say I should read without explaining why it is something I should read.

Saying "it will help you understand black people" is an inadequate explanation because it doesn't tell me exactly what I'm supposed to gain from this book that will change my views. I think I already have enough information to have an accurate view of the situation regarding social justice nonsense. What will this book tell me that I don't already know that will change my view on this issue?

The problem is you're trying to establish what you believe to be fairness. And your way of forcing that fairness is a top down approach to force it on teachers. It isn't the job of teachers to try to make up for every social ill of humankind or get impoverished kids up to speed with their rich counterparts. Teachers should be allowed to work where they want to, with kids who want to learn and not disrupt class, regardless if they are "needed" somewhere else.

Your proposed "solution" treats teachers like chess pieces to maneuver based on what you think is fair, regardless of whether a teacher actually wants to teach there. It's a form of enslavement and is offensive to all teachers.
What you're moving toward is an issue of pedagogy, I believe teachers have a duty to teach. Equity is part of that. And I think we've moved past my original point: the self-perpetuation of poverty w/ education as a major factor, as a major point for this thread in terms of diversity. Also, the "enslavement" hyperbole is a little unnecessary, don't you think?

What you're moving toward is an issue of pedagogy, I believe teachers have a duty to teach. Equity is part of that. And I think we've moved past my original point: the self-perpetuation of poverty w/ education as a major factor, as a major point for this thread in terms of diversity. Also, the "enslavement" hyperbole is a little unnecessary, don't you think?
Let's promote equity, at the cost of teacher equity.