yale rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how low yale dipped on their rank list this year to fill?

They were saying at the interview that they are ranking people according to their view of the candidates credentials, that they are not taking into consideration whether the candidates are interested in the program at all, and that in years past they dipped as low as their #25. For example, Dr. Sinard said that they knew for a fact their number one candidate had already told them they will not be considering yale to match for family reasons, but they were going to rank this person number 1 anyway.

The rank did crazy things this year, I'm not sure if it has been crazy in years past. I was really surprised at the beating that Northwestern took, for example in only managing to fill one of their spots pre-scramble.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how low yale dipped on their rank list this year to fill?

They were saying at the interview that they are ranking people according to their view of the candidates credentials, that they are not taking into consideration whether the candidates are interested in the program at all, and that in years past they dipped as low as their #25. For example, Dr. Sinard said that they knew for a fact their number one candidate had already told them they will not be considering yale to match for family reasons, but they were going to rank this person number 1 anyway.

The rank did crazy things this year, I'm not sure if it has been crazy in years past. I was really surprised at the beating that Northwestern took, for example in only managing to fill one of their spots pre-scramble.

Isn't that the way the Match is supposed to work? Great for Yale. Instead of sycophants they got the best people they could get.

And I'm not surprised about NW. The program was described to me by someone who did a fellowship there as "in dissaray".

I didn't interview at Northwestern, but I heard that they had experienced a massive amount of faculty turnover in recent years...

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that the way the Match is supposed to work? Great for Yale. Instead of sycophants they got the best people they could get.

I second that. I hope all programs can work this way, and have a hard time understanding why some of them don't.

That's what I heard at my interview, too -- that the program would rank everyone they interviewed, based on their fit into the program.

I second that. I hope all programs can work this way, and have a hard time understanding why some of them don't.

Some programs get hung up on the concept oh how far on their rank list they go down.. (like that is public information)

Of course, it is not limited to programs some people rank programs higher that they expect to get into, so the can get their top (or near top) choice...

Seems silly I agree...

You should just keep in mind that they are human. When you say that they just want to look at credentials, I am interested as to what you mean by that. The reason why I want to say that they are human is because the interview day made a huge impact on where they ranked me. I know that they didn't think highly of me before my interview, because I was the only person that Dr. Sinard did not personally want to interview on that day in our group of 7 applicants. But things changed dramatically later in the day, but the details I will spare you. Even though I matched to Mayo, I recieved a letter in the mail from Yale yesterday actually that stated that I was ranked to match and was just curious as to why I chose another program over them with a little survey.

I you are interested in Yale, dazzle them with your research experience if you have it. It's a wonderful program, however, I felt I would feel more at home in another program.

You should just keep in mind that they are human. When you say that they just want to look at credentials, I am interested as to what you mean by that. The reason why I want to say that they are human is because the interview day made a huge impact on where they ranked me. I know that they didn't think highly of me before my interview, because I was the only person that Dr. Sinard did not personally want to interview on that day in our group of 7 applicants. But things changed dramatically later in the day, but the details I will spare you. Even though I matched to Mayo, I recieved a letter in the mail from Yale yesterday actually that stated that I was ranked to match and was just curious as to why I chose another program over them with a little survey.

I you are interested in Yale, dazzle them with your research experience if you have it. It's a wonderful program, however, I felt I would feel more at home in another program.

Wow you got flowers from Mayo and survey's from Yale. Watch out Juan Rosai...;)

Wow you got flowers from Mayo and survey's from Yale. Watch out Juan Rosai...;)

I got no loven from Hopkins tho :(

Tis ok! I'll come up with a cure for pancreatic cancer and make them regret it!

I don't think not interviewing with Dr. Sinard meant they weren't highly considering you. I didn't interview with him either and still got the RTM survey from them.

I was the only person that Dr. Sinard did not personally want to interview on that day in our group of 7 applicants.

Did you check with all 6 other applicants? I interviewed at Yale and didn't interview with the AP-PD or either Chair...maybe they were trying to expose you to more of the faculty.

i'd actually be curious about those details. how did things change so seemingly drastically over the course of a few hours?

Well the other six applicants had all interviewed with the PD. Luckily my first interview was with the chair of CP. He was really interested in my project and results that I had. By lunch the remaining faculty on my interview trail that day were all starting out referring to what each other faculty said (maybe they had lunch together?) and the whole attitude changed from "I know nothing about you so why don't you tell me about yourself" to being "I've heard so much about you, you're coming to Yale right?" At the end of the day the PD tagged on a mini interview to say hi and of course be very inviting. Most of what changed was the expression of their questions and how they asked them. And since it was a group interview I was able to observe how differently people were treated and discuss interviews. I probably wouldn't have noticed such a change if it was only me that day, I probably would have written it off as eagerness to recruit. So why didn't I choose Yale? because I just couldn't see myself living there and fitting in. I kinda don't want to go into specifics because they are really personal and probably don't apply to the general population. Mayo was a much better fit for me.

Yale is a very good program and yes dazzling them with your research experience will help. The negative to the program is the amount of time in the grossing room. Sure there are several PA's to help ease the load but the amount of grossing is still too much.

Well, I guess the great news is that different programs will rank some people high and not others and vice versa. There is an unpredictable element in it that makes an applicant nervous.

Yale is a very good program and yes dazzling them with your research experience will help. The negative to the program is the amount of time in the grossing room. Sure there are several PA's to help ease the load but the amount of grossing is still too much.

How many days/week are spent grossing? And do you get to see everything you gross at sign out?

Yale is a very good program...but the amount of grossing is still too much.

Compared to your experience with other programs or what? I would imagine that a certain amount of grossing builds a strong foundation.