Yale, UCSD, BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts out there on these 3 programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Mrbojangles said:
Any thoughts out there on these 3 programs?

Can't comment on UCSD, but I will comment on Yale and BU briefly......

Yale is a top-notch program with fully developed, world-class laboratory medicine and anatomic pathology. Despite the fact that A LOT of places feel it's cool to say their CP programs are as good as AP, it's true here. The faculty also seemed willing, more so than in other places, to communicate informally about the program. The residents also seemed quite tight as a group and actually found the time to all come together for lunch with the applicants (which is rare and appreciated!). They seem very content and not overworked in the slightest degree despite a diverse and reasonably high volume. The disadvantages? Perhaps New Haven, but it IS better than it used to be and the world of arts/culture revolves around Yale's campus and if that's not good enough, NYC is 1.5 hours away.

BU is a rapidly evolving program that hasn't quite fully evolved yet. A brand new building which will house Anatomic Pathology is underway and set to open this coming Fall, but I have a feeling that there will be A LOT of organizational headaches with the place and getting people situated in it. The volume seems adequate on paper, but the residents don't seem to work that hard. The faculty is as dedicated as you can get, but I'm not sure about your fellow resident colleagues. I only had contact with one during my entire day who seemed unexcited about the field of pathology in general. It's a VERY small program as far as the 3 you mentioned and among other East coast places so that might be/not be for you.

hope this helps....