Yale vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received very similar financial aid packages from Yale and Hopkins, so COA won't be different between the two. IMO, both are comparable in terms of academics, research, and residency placement.

Yale
Pros
  • Yale system is very relaxed and chill, and I have seen students accomplish amazing things as a result of the flexibility
  • easy access to NYC
Cons
  • I much prefer large cities, and the size of New Haven is stifling to me at times

Hopkins
Pro
  • really loved the vibe during (virtual) interview day, students seemed to be really happy, despite being in the midst of studying for exams
  • class seems to be very tight knit (I'm really excited about this and looking forward to making friends)
  • I would be able to experience a new "system of institutions" and expand my network
  • larger city, and it looks lovely from what I've seen from current students
Con
  • have heard that Hopkins is more cutthroat/stressful than Yale
  • no immediate friends or support system in Baltimore
  • I am a teensy bit worried about safety in Baltimore? I have never been to Baltimore and did not get a chance to visit, so it feels odd to commit four years to a city I have never been to

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) sounds like you need to drive to Baltimore before the decision deadline

2) as you said - both schools are very strong, this is mostly a preference choice

3) as a med student - you’re peripheral to the ongoings in each department. You’re in with the residents a lot, but the attendings are insulated from you both during clinics and during research

4) I personally think med school is hard enough without a ton of extra stressors (location, grading, cut-throatness) so I’d pick Yale

Reactions: 7 users
There's no bad answer here -- I agree with @Kracin that you need to at least see Baltimore. You hear a lot of trash talk about both Baltimore and New Haven. While I've always really liked Baltimore, the area around JHU is pretty mixed.

Personally, I'm always up for a change of scenery. Choosing Hopkins gets you two great names on your pedigree and twice the networking exposure. Staying at Yale risks a bit of in-breeding...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1) sounds like you need to drive to Baltimore before the decision deadline

2) as you said - both schools are very strong, this is mostly a preference choice

3) as a egg - you’re peripheral to the ongoings in each department. You’re in with the bunnies a lot, but the rabbits are insulated from you both during clinics and during research

4) I personally think Easter basket is hard enough without a ton of extra stressors (location, grading, cut-throatness) so I’d pick Yale
I'm sorry but with the hack, reading this was hilarious lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar decision here, and I'm currently leaning JHU. You should choose Hopkins so we can be friends ;)

In all seriousness, I visited Baltimore a few weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised! Like DokterMom said, the area directly surrounding the medical school is a bit more mixed. We stayed a few blocks south in the Upper Fells neighborhood, which was lovely - very residential, lots of restaurants nearby, accessible to Patterson Park and neighborhoods like Fells Point (AWESOME neighborhood right by the water) and Inner Harbor (bougier area with an aquarium, movie theatre, stores like Whole Foods/Lululemon/Madewell LMAO). We also walked through the Butcher's Hill neighborhood which was also really nice (and super close to campus).

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think you can easily make the case for either but I would say that Hopkins is a stronger hospital system with more competitive in house residencies. Keep in mind that you'll have home student advantage wherever you go. Both schools feed to MGH/BWH pretty well (though don't get hung up on this goal, it is incredibly competitive and there are about 10-20 other hospitals in the country just as good).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for everyone’s input! I am leaning more toward JHU, but have scheduled a trip to Baltimore this month so I know I’m making a more informed decision :)

Reactions: 2 users
Can't go wrong with either one, I'd probably have a hard time myself if I were in your shoes. I think I'd prefer Hopkins access to more research and hospital system/residency programs.

Just to throw in my two cents here (and cause you gave me advice on my post lol) - I feel like people underplay the benefits of the Yale system. Medicine is a long path and every step you can take to prevent long-term burnout sounds like a good one! If you think going to Yale or Hopkins is going to get you the same outcome at the end of the day - the Yale system might help you achieve your goals in a much lower stress environment. I think that’s definitely something to keep in mind!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just to throw in my two cents here (and cause you gave me advice on my post lol) - I feel like people underplay the benefits of the Yale system. Medicine is a long path and every step you can take to prevent long-term burnout sounds like a good one! If you think going to Yale or Hopkins is going to get you the same outcome at the end of the day - the Yale system might help you achieve your goals in a much lower stress environment. I think that’s definitely something to keep in mind!
Couldn't agree more. People are so caught up in prestige, and once they start med school, they realize that what really matters is the day to day life at med school. Within the same tier, personally I would always pick a low stress place. Yale and Hopkins are definitely in the same league. Trust me, once you are in med school, no one is gonna be awe-stricken because of Hopkins lol.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Both are great schools and you can't go wrong! I will say that yale has more students honor for clerkships than hopkins, but if you think you will be great at clerkships it's a moot point