Yale? What's your impression? For students and people that interviewed there!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an interview at Yale, so i'm doing my research...

Yale has one of the most interesting web-sites. And their
unique "Yale System" is just that.. unique. But I'm curious what matriculants really think about it? And coupled with the crappy area.. how's life going?

I heard the facilities are lacking, but then again they're building some new biomed building (anyone know when it's due to be finished?).

Of course... Yale is an IVY League school... and just saying you went to yale to the average layperson, and even most med matriculants sounds really impressive... more so than The University of Michigan or even maybe Duke - even though those two are technically ranked higher in research medicine on USNEWS.

Of course, you shouldn't go to medical school based on how impressive the name sounds - obviously. Rather, you should go where you're happy.

So those of you at Yale.. are you happy? Do you slack since you're given SO MUCH freedom? Those of you that interviewd... and didn't go.. whY?

kreno

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in finding out more about Yale's system as well. Anyone?

Originally posted by kreno
Just got an interview at Yale, so i'm doing my research...

Yale has one of the most interesting web-sites. And their
unique "Yale System" is just that.. unique. But I'm curious what matriculants really think about it? And coupled with the crappy area.. how's life going?

I heard the facilities are lacking, but then again they're building some new biomed building (anyone know when it's due to be finished?).

So those of you at Yale.. are you happy? Do you slack since you're given SO MUCH freedom? Those of you that interviewd... and didn't go.. whY?

The website is very interesting. One thing I know about the Yale System is that you can take an extra year, and they won't charge you more tuition, which is kinda cool, but lots of folks are working on theses and such.

New Haven's not as "crappy" as you think. Lots of bars and clubs, just down the road, lots of restaurants (ethic and otherwise, and the best Italian food and pizza you can find--Yale alumni years later still get really excited when they hear that a restaurant has "New Haven style pizza") all within walking distance. More shopping has been added, and there will be even more by fall 2003. Really close to NYC, so you can go in whenever you want by Metro North for $11.50 each way (offpeak).

Facilities, some of them have been renovated recently, and some are really nice. The new building I think will be done next year? I would imagine before the fall 2003 incoming class. The med school is seeing the benefit of half a billion being spent on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just out there yesterday, and was pretty impressed.

Most of the people I talked to say New Haven has a bad rap. There are safer/less safe places in town, but like most urban areas, just don't walk alone at night and avoid certain parts of town. They also have a good (free! :) ) shuttle system. I explored some on my own, and thought the area was fine.

I personally like the Yale system. It was designed to reduce competitiveness and to give the students more freedom in their schedules. It was explained to me as being more like a grad school environment - pass/fail for the first two years, w/ no class rankings.

They are building a huge new facility that M1s should have classes in next year. The plans they showed us looked really nice.

Most of the info I got was from their 24/7 book that they will send you if you request it - i think online.

Overall, I thought it was a great school! :) But they don't notify people of their status till March, so I've got a long wait... Hope any of that was helpful!

Does anyone know the % they interview and the % they accept of those they interview?

Originally posted by Premed2003
Does anyone know the % they interview and the % they accept of those they interview?

The guy who interviewed me said that they usually have about 3500 applications, and interview around 800. In March/April they will accept 150 and waitlist another 200. He said that about half of last years class came off the waitlist, so there is hope! :)

i'm pretty excited about visiting - seems like a great system; and as you mentioned, they have some new buildings coming up.

HI everyone...

I am a first year at Yale. I must say that you guys are in for a treat. The school provides an amazing atmosphere due to The Yale System. We don't have grades which is such an important aspect. There is no competition and everyone works in groups- something I did not expect in medical school. The new building, Congress Avenue, will be ready for your class- its an amazing place. To answer the question about tuition....the fifth year is free and you can do whatever you desire, including picking up an extra degree (I think over 50% of the students opt for this).

Sorry for being brief but we have our first assessments this coming week.
BTW.....It is a good idea to try and stay with a host.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!

Originally posted by Woots32
Most of the people I talked to say New Haven has a bad rap. There are safer/less safe places in town, but like most urban areas, just don't walk alone at night and avoid certain parts of town. They also have a good (free! :) ) shuttle system. I explored some on my own, and thought the area was fine.

This "bad rap" comes from 15 years ago, when New Haven was a little rougher. Like other college campuses (Penn!), things have been cleaned up and yuppified. The reputation is way behind reality.

-RA