Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc361

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with Yale's GS program since the accreditation issues a few years ago? I read a couple of reviews on Scutwork.com that were glowing, and I've contacted the program directly to talk w/ current residents . . . but I was also just wondering about the opinions of people who frequent this board. I know they have a good reputation for placing chiefs into fellowships - how has the atmosphere of the program changed? Is there sufficient variety and number of cases?

Have a great July 4th weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there and got weird vibes. The residents said it's a great place to be to get good fellowships, but they also told me that their training is slightly lacking in comparison to other nearby programs---they are a solid general training program with great fellowship placement but not an excellent general training program is how one said it to me.

I know that due to the 80 hour rule, their case numbers have dropped. How much they've dropped, I'm not sure. I don't remember their numbers seeming different from other places I interviewed at though. Also I got the impression that they are somewhat "old school" about things like maternity leave and time off and maybe less female-friendly than average??

Definitely ask a current resident though...my memory is fuzzy and many interviews blended together after a while. I could have been talking to someone with different perspective than the majority.

This is kinda second hand, but I'll throw it out anyway. One of the women who was visiting BID with me last year as a subI was very happy to match at Yale. After her month at BID she did not even apply here........ I didn't talk with her much about Yale, but was very interested that she felt it was better than here (which would not have been my first thought).

I interviewed there and agree with smurfette...kind of strange vibe. In addition, they were obviously only interested in training people who wanted to go into academic surgery...personally i haven't made that decision, so this apparent lack of flexibility kind of turned me off. The people at Yale seemed very nice though, and i would certainly get in touch with some of the residents. New Haven wasn't the greatest city i've been to either. Just my 0.02. good luck.