Yay or nay? Starting the P.S. with a Quote?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Is it okay to start a personal statement with a quote?

  • No way.

    Votes: 18 45.0%
  • It's okay!

    Votes: 22 55.0%

  • Total voters
    40

vetwardbound

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm very tempted to introduce my personal statement with a quote from a famous person despite the fact that I usually think doing so is contrived/hackneyed/poor writing. What does everyone think?
 
I read about 800 persnal statements every year for my job. Invariably, someone always does this. I think it's fine as long 1. it relates to the rest of your PS and 2. It catches the readers attention and makes them want to keep on reading.
 
I think it's alright, but personally for me I find quotes to be more effective at the end.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I vote 'no' (in most circumstances). I'm pretty sure that most essay-writing books tell you to avoid it as well. Depending on the quote you use, it very well could be over-used in personal statements.

Generally you want to try and set yourself apart without hitting on too many cliches. (The little engine that could, Ghandi/Peter Singer Quotes, etc).

If you haven't done so already I would recommend picking up (or going to Barnes & Noble/Borders) and reading through the med-school essay books.. the ones with titles like 'essays that WILL get you into Med school.' Some of them actually have decent tips that I didn't think of when I wrote my PS. Because of the book I think I spent about 28 total hours writing up and revising my PS.

For the record, I did include a quote in one of the body paragraphs of my PS. It is a quote that I keep on my desk that has personal significance ... It's famous, yet fairly obscure quote that was written down and handed to me by my boss (and mentor) who passed away 5 years ago now. So it can be done... and I guess my take-home point is you have to be very prudent in how you use it, it's not necessarily a good 'attention grabber' like you would use a quote to open a standard essay for school.
 
It is extremely cliche, but if it's done well, I think it has a really powerful impact. It is a quick little tidbit the reader takes with them that also reminds them of you, and being remembered is a good thing when they're plowing through so many applications.
 
So, I'm very tempted to introduce my personal statement with a quote from a famous person despite the fact that I usually think doing so is contrived/hackneyed/poor writing. What does everyone think?
i did! i did! while it may be 'poor writing' (i don't pretend to be a good writer), it worked for me.

It is extremely cliche, but if it's done well, I think it has a really powerful impact. It is a quick little tidbit the reader takes with them that also reminds them of you, and being remembered is a good thing when they're plowing through so many applications.
word.

i used the quote in my sig becuase music is huge for me, and it was representative of my decision to start vet school. in the interview, one of them asked, 'oh, you're the one that quoted the metal band, right?' lol, at least she remembered me? well, i'm in, so i guess it wasn't too bad.
 
It's actually not a famous quote, but a quote from a famous musician that I saw speak at an event on campus. I don't think the quote itself is cliche, but the act of opening the p.s. with a quote is definitely cliche in itself. Hmm.

So I borrowed the Essays that will get you into Medical School book from a friend as recommended and counted the number of successful essays with quotes in the beginning -- 4 out of 40. 10% isn't that bad of a success rate, I think. I feel like there's no shorter way to introduce my theme/topic, and I'm definitely having word crunch problems, so I'll roll with it. If it doesn't work this year, I'll change my approach for next year. 🙂 Thanks for the feedback.
 
I'm sure you'll find a way to pull it off well. Especially since you had it in your mind that it can be overdone or done poorly.

Good luck and happy writing! That word-crunch is a bitch....
 
Even if it is considered cliche or tacky, I don't think it will make the difference of you getting in or not. As long as the PS as a whole does a good job representing you then I think you'll be fine even with a pinch of cliche thrown in.