LiterateLeopard
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I've lurked SDN for a while but now I'm facing a huge decision and would love any and all advice.
This previous cycle, I was a second-round applicant. My first application cycle in 2023 I was rejected from all 3 programs I applied to, so I ended up taking a year, going back to school, and getting my MS in Biology at a pre-professional program offered by my school. This previous round I applied to 5 programs and was rejected from 4 - then waitlisted at LMUCVM, which I just found out I was accepted to. However, the financial burden of LMU is a huge hurdle that I find myself struggling to get over before I make a sound decision. What I would *like* to do is re-apply and hope I get in to my in-state (UGA), or somewhere cheaper. My biggest question is: would this be stupid of me to do? I don't want to pass up the opportunity I have now (I did it once, after getting accepted to the spring cohort and declining it, wanting to wait until I heard back from other programs). At the same time, I don't want to accept the seat because I feel pressured to -- I would like to get out of school with the least amount of loan debt possible.
So, I'm asking for your help: if I do choose to decline this seat, WAMC of getting into a different program in my next application cycle? Here are my stats:
Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Sciences, Pre-Vet || Master of Science, Biological Sciences Non-thesis Pre-professional option
Undergraduate GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 3.09
Last 30 GPA: 3.84 (if MS credits count)
Experiences:
- 700+ hrs animal experience (including zoo/wildlife and companion animal)
- 600+ hrs as a teaching assistant during my master's program
- ~40 hrs research experience
- ~7000+ hrs veterinary experience (small animal +surgery, large animal surgery, zoo/wildlife, small animal emergency)
- ~600+ hrs volunteer experience (student ambassador during UG, assisting with the adapted sports program during UG/grad)
How I'm working on my next application:
- Taking A&P I/II (this was not required for my UG degree); may take microbiology w/ lab since I didn't take lab in UG
- Re-taking a few courses I had C's in: genetics, cell biology, maybe biochemistry
- Strong LORs: I thought I had these last cycle, since I had 2 DVMs, a faculty member/advisor, and a supervisor from my GTA job. This time one of the DVMs would be a diplomate (DACVS), so I don't know if that helps?
My goals/where I'd plan on applying:
- My heart is set on zoo medicine, but I would be happy to work with exotics in a GP setting. I'm keeping an open mind though and think I could be happy with any path I take, be it specializing or not.
- UGA, Miss. State, Ohio State, UF, Virginia-Maryland (and anywhere else that might be a decent fit, if anyone has advice on this too)
I'm just so torn. I don't want to pass up this opportunity but also don't want to be broke for the rest of my life. Any advice would be really, greatly appreciated.
This previous cycle, I was a second-round applicant. My first application cycle in 2023 I was rejected from all 3 programs I applied to, so I ended up taking a year, going back to school, and getting my MS in Biology at a pre-professional program offered by my school. This previous round I applied to 5 programs and was rejected from 4 - then waitlisted at LMUCVM, which I just found out I was accepted to. However, the financial burden of LMU is a huge hurdle that I find myself struggling to get over before I make a sound decision. What I would *like* to do is re-apply and hope I get in to my in-state (UGA), or somewhere cheaper. My biggest question is: would this be stupid of me to do? I don't want to pass up the opportunity I have now (I did it once, after getting accepted to the spring cohort and declining it, wanting to wait until I heard back from other programs). At the same time, I don't want to accept the seat because I feel pressured to -- I would like to get out of school with the least amount of loan debt possible.
So, I'm asking for your help: if I do choose to decline this seat, WAMC of getting into a different program in my next application cycle? Here are my stats:
Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Sciences, Pre-Vet || Master of Science, Biological Sciences Non-thesis Pre-professional option
Undergraduate GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 3.09
Last 30 GPA: 3.84 (if MS credits count)
Experiences:
- 700+ hrs animal experience (including zoo/wildlife and companion animal)
- 600+ hrs as a teaching assistant during my master's program
- ~40 hrs research experience
- ~7000+ hrs veterinary experience (small animal +surgery, large animal surgery, zoo/wildlife, small animal emergency)
- ~600+ hrs volunteer experience (student ambassador during UG, assisting with the adapted sports program during UG/grad)
How I'm working on my next application:
- Taking A&P I/II (this was not required for my UG degree); may take microbiology w/ lab since I didn't take lab in UG
- Re-taking a few courses I had C's in: genetics, cell biology, maybe biochemistry
- Strong LORs: I thought I had these last cycle, since I had 2 DVMs, a faculty member/advisor, and a supervisor from my GTA job. This time one of the DVMs would be a diplomate (DACVS), so I don't know if that helps?
My goals/where I'd plan on applying:
- My heart is set on zoo medicine, but I would be happy to work with exotics in a GP setting. I'm keeping an open mind though and think I could be happy with any path I take, be it specializing or not.
- UGA, Miss. State, Ohio State, UF, Virginia-Maryland (and anywhere else that might be a decent fit, if anyone has advice on this too)
I'm just so torn. I don't want to pass up this opportunity but also don't want to be broke for the rest of my life. Any advice would be really, greatly appreciated.