WAMC: Accept the seat, or 3rd time's the charm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LiterateLeopard

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I've lurked SDN for a while but now I'm facing a huge decision and would love any and all advice.

This previous cycle, I was a second-round applicant. My first application cycle in 2023 I was rejected from all 3 programs I applied to, so I ended up taking a year, going back to school, and getting my MS in Biology at a pre-professional program offered by my school. This previous round I applied to 5 programs and was rejected from 4 - then waitlisted at LMUCVM, which I just found out I was accepted to. However, the financial burden of LMU is a huge hurdle that I find myself struggling to get over before I make a sound decision. What I would *like* to do is re-apply and hope I get in to my in-state (UGA), or somewhere cheaper. My biggest question is: would this be stupid of me to do? I don't want to pass up the opportunity I have now (I did it once, after getting accepted to the spring cohort and declining it, wanting to wait until I heard back from other programs). At the same time, I don't want to accept the seat because I feel pressured to -- I would like to get out of school with the least amount of loan debt possible.
So, I'm asking for your help: if I do choose to decline this seat, WAMC of getting into a different program in my next application cycle? Here are my stats:

Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Sciences, Pre-Vet || Master of Science, Biological Sciences Non-thesis Pre-professional option

Undergraduate GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 3.09
Last 30 GPA: 3.84 (if MS credits count)

Experiences:
- 700+ hrs animal experience (including zoo/wildlife and companion animal)
- 600+ hrs as a teaching assistant during my master's program
- ~40 hrs research experience
- ~7000+ hrs veterinary experience (small animal +surgery, large animal surgery, zoo/wildlife, small animal emergency)
- ~600+ hrs volunteer experience (student ambassador during UG, assisting with the adapted sports program during UG/grad)

How I'm working on my next application:
- Taking A&P I/II (this was not required for my UG degree); may take microbiology w/ lab since I didn't take lab in UG
- Re-taking a few courses I had C's in: genetics, cell biology, maybe biochemistry
- Strong LORs: I thought I had these last cycle, since I had 2 DVMs, a faculty member/advisor, and a supervisor from my GTA job. This time one of the DVMs would be a diplomate (DACVS), so I don't know if that helps?

My goals/where I'd plan on applying:
- My heart is set on zoo medicine, but I would be happy to work with exotics in a GP setting. I'm keeping an open mind though and think I could be happy with any path I take, be it specializing or not.
- UGA, Miss. State, Ohio State, UF, Virginia-Maryland (and anywhere else that might be a decent fit, if anyone has advice on this too)

I'm just so torn. I don't want to pass up this opportunity but also don't want to be broke for the rest of my life. Any advice would be really, greatly appreciated.
 
In my opinion there is no right or wrong decision. The "known" is you have been accepted to a program. Congratulations. The "unknown" is that the future IS unknown and you have no control over it. Keep in mind, the odds of being accepted in general are between 10-15 percent. Consult with people you trust and then make a decision. Once that decision is made, go with it and have no regrets. As a young man I was faced with a similar situation and as I was walking to my interview, I told myself I will give this my best, and if I were not accepted I could look back, hold my head high, and know I DID give it my best. Go with the known or unknown; it is your decision. I wish you well in your journey
 
My biggest question is: would this be stupid of me to do?

No, absolutely not. LMU is expensive by design, not by necessity. With the new loan rules, there's no guarantee you'd be able to afford your payments post-graduation due to the private loan aspect.

I used to be in the camp of "go where you're accepted". I no longer am now that I'm 5 years out and paying the bills.

Last 30 GPA: 3.84 (if MS credits count)

What would it be without your masters?

- My heart is set on zoo medicine, but I would be happy to work with exotics in a GP setting. I'm keeping an open mind though and think I could be happy with any path I take, be it specializing or not.

This should have zero baring on where you apply. Most schools do not have a heavy exotics/zoo program. With your stats, you need to focus on where you can reasonably get in.

- UGA, Miss. State, Ohio State, UF, Virginia-Maryland (and anywhere else that might be a decent fit, if anyone has advice on this too)

You need to focus on schools that 1) accept masters grades; 2) offer grade replacement; and 3) heavily favor the subjective aspects of your application (essays, experience, letters, etc.). I'm not sure where your list lands there any more. You'll have to do the leg work. Honestly, make an excel sheet or something, contact every single school, and rank them based on how your application fits their mold.

Overall, the choice is yours and it's one I don't envy. I personally cannot recommend anyone take out such high levels of student loans for this profession. The objective, emotionless ROI is simply not there.

Keep in mind, the odds of being accepted in general are between 10-15 percent.

This is inaccurate. The total applicant to seat ratio is approximately 2.5, and 100% of seats get filled (some even overfill). The actual acceptance rate has been hovering around 35-40% since about 2021 or 2022. Before that, it was actually as high as 55-60% for a while.

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reach out to Parker Moore to discuss your situation. Assuming things are still the same....UGA looks at cumulative gpa, pre-req gpa, and last 45 gpa. UGA averages retakes. Pick your classes wisely for choosing what fills your pre-req's. If you're retaking courses, it might be to your advantage to wait another cycle so that those grades are part of your gpa's.

You can't beat UGA's IS cost.
 
Re-apply again but would it be worth it to retake all those classes? because that also mounts up your bills even before applying.
 
No, absolutely not. LMU is expensive by design, not by necessity. With the new loan rules, there's no guarantee you'd be able to afford your payments post-graduation due to the private loan aspect.

I used to be in the camp of "go where you're accepted". I no longer am now that I'm 5 years out and paying the bills.



What would it be without your masters?



This should have zero baring on where you apply. Most schools do not have a heavy exotics/zoo program. With your stats, you need to focus on where you can reasonably get in.



You need to focus on schools that 1) accept masters grades; 2) offer grade replacement; and 3) heavily favor the subjective aspects of your application (essays, experience, letters, etc.). I'm not sure where your list lands there any more. You'll have to do the leg work. Honestly, make an excel sheet or something, contact every single school, and rank them based on how your application fits their mold.

Overall, the choice is yours and it's one I don't envy. I personally cannot recommend anyone take out such high levels of student loans for this profession. The objective, emotionless ROI is simply not there.



This is inaccurate. The total applicant to seat ratio is approximately 2.5, and 100% of seats get filled (some even overfill). The actual acceptance rate has been hovering around 35-40% since about 2021 or 2022. Before that, it was actually as high as 55-60% for a while.

Thank you very much for the in-depth response! I fear LMU was one of the programs I knew I had the best shot at since they value graduate degrees. But now looking at cost I'm much more hesitant than I originally was.

Reach out to Parker Moore to discuss your situation. Assuming things are still the same....UGA looks at cumulative gpa, pre-req gpa, and last 45 gpa. UGA averages retakes. Pick your classes wisely for choosing what fills your pre-req's. If you're retaking courses, it might be to your advantage to wait another cycle so that those grades are part of your gpa's.

You can't beat UGA's IS cost.
You really can't. I'm about to reach out to him - I've been waiting to hear back about when file reviews will be available since I know it's usually around this time they finally become an option. I'll have to see what he says.

Re-apply again but would it be worth it to retake all those classes? because that also mounts up your bills even before applying.
I already have around $25k I'm paying off from having to add an extra semester in undergrad (OOS school). Retaking would be a negligible cost for me. Also worth it because I'm looking into non-veterinary programs - PA, PharmD, all of which require at least a few more classes (specifically A&P).