Year off between MS2 and MS3=red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To what degree would a year off between second and third year of med school be seen by anes residency programs as a red flag?

The reason I took the year off is because I got divorced right at the end of my second year which as you might guess sucks, and was in no condition to start third year. I'm "over it" now, and I wouldn't think I would need to mention that during residency interviews unless they asked point blank what happened there, in which case I would tell them since I'd want them to know I didn't just feel like taking a vacation year.

On top of that I'm a very nontraditional student and will be 40 when I graduate med school. Also appreciate thoughts on resistance to taking old people in anesthesia programs.

On the plus side, I'm using this year to do some research which will hopefully be published.

Other background: 242 Step 1, Some Honors in preclinical courses, good test scores in the rest. Haven't started third year yet. Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

While I certainly wouldn't recommend lying, I would focus any responses to questions re the gap year on the research that you're doing (in part, you'll need to craft your response based on what comment is made in your dean's letter re the gap). I don't think that your age will be a significant hindrance; some programs may not like it but others will value your (presumed) added maturity/life experience.

I'm sorry that you had to endure such an experience and hope that it all turns out for the best.

Took a year off after Step 1, before starting 3rd year, did something totally unrelated to the field of medicine, did not cause a single problem.

I think the important thing is to have a good story. Nobody wants to hear "well, I got divorced and was so distraught I couldn't keep it together to do my clinical rotations." What might sound better is "well, there were some family changes that came at a time when I also had the opportunity to work in this really cool lab and, by the way, here's what I did that year and got published."