Year Off Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navybluedreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently on my first year off, and will have a second year off next year as I'm applying next cycle. I've held two jobs in my life, one at an outpatient clinic during college, and now one currently at a long-term acute care hospital as a rehab tech. My current job is a bit of a stressor (i.e., coworkers, management organization), and lately, I was thinking about making a switch to another job. My jobs have given me a lot of a exposure within the field, for which I am grateful, but I really want to explore what else I can do. Do y'all recommend I keep a job within this field for the upcoming year or explore past these boundaries? If you guys did explore outside of the field, what type of things did you do?? I'd love to hear!

Members don't see this ad.

As Far as affecting your chances of getting into pt school, I don't think it makes a big difference either way. That's all I can say as I don't have any particular experience with this question but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I have never worked as a tech/aide, but I can't imagine it would hurt your application to switch jobs. I don't know what kind of job experiences you are thinking of, probably something more exciting.

I used to work for an auto insurance company, and while it was not the greatest job ever, I do think it was a huge benefit to me in that I got an inside look at an industry that has a large impact on the PT profession, but is often opaque or difficult to understand from the outside. I worked in a department that dealt peripherally with Medpay/PIP, but there are jobs that deal with the medical aspect more, which would be most relevant to someone who wants to be a PT.

The other advantages: You usually need a bachelor's degree to work as an adjuster, it pays pretty well, it's stable, usually 9-5 with benefits and no weekends, and often the option to work from home. I was able to pay off a lot of debt, and was quite comfortable, even when my husband went back to school and we were living on one income. Disadvantages: Kind of boring, stuck at a desk, bad karma is a possibility, but you'd only be doing it for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm currently on my first year off, and will have a second year off next year as I'm applying next cycle. I've held two jobs in my life, one at an outpatient clinic during college, and now one currently at a long-term acute care hospital as a rehab tech. My current job is a bit of a stressor (i.e., coworkers, management organization), and lately, I was thinking about making a switch to another job. My jobs have given me a lot of a exposure within the field, for which I am grateful, but I really want to explore what else I can do. Do y'all recommend I keep a job within this field for the upcoming year or explore past these boundaries? If you guys did explore outside of the field, what type of things did you do?? I'd love to hear!

I'm in a similar situation right now. I looked at jobs as a PT Aide but they all paid like crap. I'm a non-traditional student who went back to school to finish my prereqs about a year ago. I have been living off my GI Bill and savings for most of the year. I'm not living off ramen but I don't have a lot of expendable income. Maybe I'm shallow but I miss having a little pocket money to eat out on occasion or take a weekend trip to the mountains. That's why I decided to pretty much the job that pays me the most with being over the top stressful.

Reactions: 1 user
During my year off I worked in South Korea teaching English in public schools. It was a bit stressful and a lot of working getting the job, but the experience, pay, and savings were all very good (it's going to help with PT school a lot). It also probably looks very unique on applications, and I had no problem applying from abroad and interviewing remotely. The contracts are for a year.

However, I just got back to my hometown three weeks ago while I wait for PT school to begin in late September. I'm currently going out of my mind with boredom. I've been looking for a part time job as I'll only need it for 4~5 months, but I can't seem to get hired to save my life! (A surreal experience, especially after doing so well in PT interviews and etc). I imagine that it's just because I seem very overqualified, but I'd still like a part time or full time job for these few months. Suggestions?

During my year off I worked in South Korea teaching English in public schools. It was a bit stressful and a lot of working getting the job, but the experience, pay, and savings were all very good (it's going to help with PT school a lot). It also probably looks very unique on applications, and I had no problem applying from abroad and interviewing remotely. The contracts are for a year.

However, I just got back to my hometown three weeks ago while I wait for PT school to begin in late September. I'm currently going out of my mind with boredom. I've been looking for a part time job as I'll only need it for 4~5 months, but I can't seem to get hired to save my life! (A surreal experience, especially after doing so well in PT interviews and etc). I imagine that it's just because I seem very overqualified, but I'd still like a part time or full time job for these few months. Suggestions?

I had the same problem, and couldn't get a job anywhere after I graduated undergrad. I was just looking for some sort of office job, but nobody gave me a chance. I ended up working part time retail for a few weeks, and then switched to full time warehouse jobs for the last 6 months or so. They suck, but the pay is generally a bit higher than retail, and they're usually looking for new employees.

Join AmeriCorps :) it's a fantastic way to give back, challenge yourself, and adventure before heading back to school. I Wouldn't have gone another route if I had the chance again. Honestly, it was also probably the biggest talking point in all of my interviews.
If you're under 25 and work well in a team setting I would suggest NCCC.

After undergrad, I found a decent office job with benefits. I was an Media Technologies Assistant for a professional school. When I found out PT was a career path I wanted, I took night classes and the same job helped pay for most of my classes. I'm still working the same job currently but will quit come summer time to prepare me for my transition as a PT student. I'd say find another job if your current one gives you too much stress. It doesn't necessarily have to be within the field but it would be helpful a bit. However, try to lessen your job stress while you focus on applications and getting into PT school at the meantime.

I had to part time jobs over the last year or so. Washing rental cars, and working at the University's dining hall. I also did some light construction for a summer. It payed the bills.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar situation right now. I looked at jobs as a PT Aide but they all paid like crap. I'm a non-traditional student who went back to school to finish my prereqs about a year ago. I have been living off my GI Bill and savings for most of the year. I'm not living off ramen but I don't have a lot of expendable income. Maybe I'm shallow but I miss having a little pocket money to eat out on occasion or take a in weekend trip to the mountains. That's why I decided to pretty much the job that pays me the most with being over the top stressful.

heyyyy first time on here i wanted to start working and getting paid but i want a job with something related to P.T is there anything you guys suggest to look into and help would be great tbh