yes, a dreaded 13 on QR...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YayTeeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the DAT and got a terrible 13 on QR! :confused: I am no math genius but I thought I could at least pull a 16 or 17.

Now my question...all my other sections are 18-20...20 on science and 19 on PAT... so my score is decent except for the QR. Should I retake just for the QR? I really believe my application is very competitive, tons of leadership, volunteer hours, mission trip, dental research, publications, great letters, 3.6 gpa at top 50 school. So my only real blemish is the QR. Do you think some schools will just flat out reject me because it's so bad?

Right now I'm just going to send in my scores and see what feedback I get from schools, talk to my advisor, and within the next month decide about retaking...

Members don't see this ad.

Did you just recently take the DAT's??? because if not you can study for 1 month or so and retake the DAT to do better. If your GPA is good and you say your EC's are good then I would def suggest a re-take because you have some time. Just turn in your application and study hard for 1 month...

If you just took the DAT and therefore you obviously have to wait for 3 months then I say apply to maybe 20+ schools and see what your chances are. Unfortunately, if you dont get in this round, study hard for a couple of months and re-submit next cycle.

hope that helps!!!

haha no its night time so i just thought i would chill, relax, and post some stuff on sdn. After finishing the test i found sdn to be pretty addicting haha, you always gots to come back...

Members don't see this ad :)
very true, i'm taking my test on wednesday, any advice on how to stay calm and clear headed?

very true, i'm taking my test on wednesday, any advice on how to stay calm and clear headed?

my suggestion is to just take deep breaths, pretty much just make yourself stay calm theres no other way...you need to just think its another practice test. Oh you know what made me really really calm...putting on those head phones they give you, they might appear really irritating at first but trust me they arent and they keep you focused because it blocks out a lot of the noise going on around you...also go over the first 10 questions in bio section because you will be bound to make a mistake if you are nervous...after the fisrt 10 questions you start getting more and more comfortable and more calm.

I also had similar scores and a 15 on QR my first time through and was not accepted simply because of that one stupid section. If you can retake it before AADSAS is up, do it! I called around and some schools take your best scores from each DAT. I studied mostly for QR ( I also bought a GRE book and that helped me prepare) but also studied the other sections as I had before. I scored a 20 my second time through with no sweat and now that I am accepted I will never have to do another ratio or trig problem the rest of my life.

Big Lou, what schools did you apply to the first round?? i have a 16 on my QR and 21PAT, 22BIO 21Ochem20genchem and 19 on RC. do u think i wont' have a chance with any dental schools either???

Man I don't know what to say but your score scares me. Did you study for QR? honestly

I studied the least for QR, only took 2 practice tests...scored 16's. My problem is not that I totally cannot do math...it was time...because I was on problem 23/40 when time finished!