Yes another Diversity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smorrell21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Struggling to pre-write my diversity statement and wondering what your all thinks about my options at this point:

1) Adopted from Russia and had a speech impairment. I was going to try to relate this to how being able to overcome it showed me the power of education I didn't get in Russia and then relate it to how it's led to me to develop a STEM program at my school for middle schoolers and/or a student teacher in an underprivileged elementary school
2) Completing daily Sudoku puzzles, but I'm not sure how I can say that contributes to my diversity (I don't know I always see things about unique talents and the physician I work with is always amazed when he gives me a puzzle to do)
3) Using my hobby playing basketball/athletic and interest in developmental disorders to help organize Special Olympics events at my school

Members don't see this ad.

Purely judging by how much you wrote for each topic, it seems #1 is the topic you can develop most confidently compelling narrative. In terms of the best fit, #1 still feels like the most interesting and unique topic as your diversity statement.

(1) is far and away the best choice. The point of this essay is to highlight something unique in your background (which may be a special struggle, or a unique origin story) which will lend you a unique perspective in medicine, which being adopted and struggling with a speech impairment does. You could tie this into (3), for instance drawing on your own experience with disability to help others, which gives you an easy segue into medicine. I can't see how (2) is relevant at all to this essay

Struggling to pre-write my diversity statement and wondering what your all thinks about my options at this point:

1) Adopted from Russia and had a speech impairment. I was going to try to relate this to how being able to overcome it showed me the power of education I didn't get in Russia and then relate it to how it's led to me to develop a STEM program at my school for middle schoolers and/or a student teacher in an underprivileged elementary school
2) Completing daily Sudoku puzzles, but I'm not sure how I can say that contributes to my diversity (I don't know I always see things about unique talents and the physician I work with is always amazed when he gives me a puzzle to do)
3) Using my hobby playing basketball/athletic and interest in developmental disorders to help organize Special Olympics events at my school
#1.