Yes, AZPOD Rocks still Rocks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZPOD Rocks

Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I just came across a thread from a few weeks ago politely informing everyone that a verified source confirmed that I am no longer with AZPOD. I feel awkward that my affairs are of sufficient value to others as to post a thread on the topic. :rolleyes:

The Low-Down (please skip over the following autobiographical info. if uninterested in AZPOD Rocks on a personal level :)

I was a dual-degree seeking student at MWU (Bachelor's of Biomedical Sciences and Master's of Health Professions Education). I got accepted to AZPOD and started this Fall quarter. I was doing extremely well (90-98% averages for my courses) and about 4 weeks in, started having a sore neck one day. That night, I awoke with what felt like half a golf ball sticking out of the back of my neck. The next morning I went to the doctor and was sent to the hospital for emergency surgery. Turns out I had a nasty infection that was eating my tissues (must have entered via lymphatics because significant lymphatic tissue had to be removed). They cut an inch by a half of an inch rectangle of skin from my neck and left me with a huge hole that was several inches in diameter inside. They couldn't stitch it up because they didn't want to seal in the infection. So, for 6 weeks, I had a hole in my neck until it finally healed all the way to the surface. I must say, I was amazed at the body's capability of filling in that much space.

I had never experienced general anesthesia prior to this and didn't know that it can stay in your system for weeks. I was also on Vicodin. Consequent to the drugs, I was in a constant "groggy" state for the next month or so. No matter how hard I tried, I kept failing test after test (10 in a row, woohoo!). I would get to school at 7am and leave at Midnight for home. Only about half of this was serious study time, however, because I had the darndest time focusing.

I ended up narrowly passing my courses for the quarter, allowing me to continue on. However, on the first day of break between quarters, I found out I had a tumor in my right thigh. Wow! I had to have it cut out and sent to the path. lab. The reports came back that it was benign but I wasn't reassured about what my body was doing... going from an always healthy person to two surgeries in just a couple of months. I requested a medical leave of absence from AZPOD and was guaranteed admissions for Fall 2007 without the need to make up the courses I already took.

I'm back to finishing the other two degrees, still at MWU, and will complete them in the next few months. So, the reports of my academic demise have been greatly exaggerated, and the confirmed source indicating this at MWU was obviously not the most "AZPOD Rocks!-enlightened" person on the block....:laugh:

However, our 2010 class was certainly pounded by attrition... this report is true. I think I'm the only one who left for the year who wasn't booted, but don't quote me on this. I heard no one failed Winter quarter, fortunately.

Hope everyone is well!

AZPOD Rocks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I just came across a thread from a few weeks ago politely informing everyone that a verified source confirmed that I am no longer with AZPOD. I feel awkward that my affairs are of sufficient value to others as to post a thread on the topic. :rolleyes:

The Low-Down (please skip over the following autobiographical info. if uninterested in AZPOD Rocks on a personal level :)

I was a dual-degree seeking student at MWU (Bachelor's of Biomedical Sciences and Master's of Health Professions Education). I got accepted to AZPOD and started this Fall quarter. I was doing extremely well (90-98% averages for my courses) and about 4 weeks in, started having a sore neck one day. That night, I awoke with what felt like half a golf ball sticking out of the back of my neck. The next morning I went to the doctor and was sent to the hospital for emergency surgery. Turns out I had a nasty infection that was eating my tissues (must have entered via lymphatics because significant lymphatic tissue had to be removed). They cut an inch by a half of an inch rectangle of skin from my neck and left me with a huge hole that was several inches in diameter inside. They couldn't stitch it up because they didn't want to seal in the infection. So, for 6 weeks, I had a hole in my neck until it finally healed all the way to the surface. I must say, I was amazed at the body's capability of filling in that much space.

I had never experienced general anesthesia prior to this and didn't know that it can stay in your system for weeks. I was also on Vicodin. Consequent to the drugs, I was in a constant "groggy" state for the next month or so. No matter how hard I tried, I kept failing test after test (10 in a row, woohoo!). I would get to school at 7am and leave at Midnight for home. Only about half of this was serious study time, however, because I had the darndest time focusing.

I ended up narrowly passing my courses for the quarter, allowing me to continue on. However, on the first day of break between quarters, I found out I had a tumor in my right thigh. Wow! I had to have it cut out and sent to the path. lab. The reports came back that it was benign but I wasn't reassured about what my body was doing... going from an always healthy person to two surgeries in just a couple of months. I requested a medical leave of absence from AZPOD and was guaranteed admissions for Fall 2007 without the need to make up the courses I already took.

I'm back to finishing the other two degrees, still at MWU, and will complete them in the next few months. So, the reports of my academic demise have been greatly exaggerated, and the confirmed source indicating this at MWU was obviously not the most "AZPOD Rocks!-enlightened" person on the block....:laugh:

However, our 2010 class was certainly pounded by attrition... this report is true. I think I'm the only one who left for the year who wasn't booted, but don't quote me on this. I heard no one failed Winter quarter, fortunately.

Hope everyone is well!

AZPOD Rocks!

Hey, feel better! It's great that you are able to finish the other degrees now and that you will be back at pod school in the fall! Good Luck!

Hey Everyone!

Hope everyone is well!

AZPOD Rocks!

Oh man! sorry to hear this. May God give you proper health and have mercy on you. Well, best fo luck for 2007. Hope this year will bring so much success in your life that you will forget the pain you experienced last year. :thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear about your last year. but im glad you posted to clear up what happened to you. I don’t know why the speculation about you started, you must really have a presence on this web site if some one took the time to speculate. This could be seen as a compliment.
I am starting at azpod next year, and I was wondering if I would see you in any of my classes next year? I hope so, your postings initially got me interested in the azpod program. since then I have visited and been accepted. during this period I fell in love with Midwestern. so thanks
I owe you a steak dinner some time next year!

good to hear your still rocking!

sorry to hear about your last year. but im glad you posted to clear up what happened to you. I don’t know why the speculation about you started, you must really have a presence on this web site if some one took the time to speculate. This could be seen as a compliment.
I am starting at azpod next year, and I was wondering if I would see you in any of my classes next year? I hope so, your postings initially got me interested in the azpod program. since then I have visited and been accepted. during this period I fell in love with Midwestern. so thanks
I owe you a steak dinner some time next year!

good to hear your still rocking!

Hi, Kelus!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm very happy for you and excited for your entrance into AZPOD!

This Fall really took its toll on my family life because I was gone so much and was stressed when I was home. My wife doesn't like the idea of me returning to AZPOD and would like me to consider other options. I'm trying to take her considerations to heart because "an unhappy wife is an unhappy life." :)

However, currently, I am still determined to return this Fall (and still have guaranteed admissions), so as long as I come back we will be taking the same classes and I will graduate the same time as you.

AZPOD Rocks!

I'm sorry to hear this man. Hope things work out better for you. Health is the most important thing right now, everything else can fall in place later. Glad to see you posting here again.

I'm sorry to hear this man. Hope things work out better for you. Health is the most important thing right now, everything else can fall in place later. Glad to see you posting here again.

Thank you, Podman!

Sorry. repeat post

Good luck to you! Im sorry to hear about what you've been going through. Hope you feel better real soon and hope you get to finish school. :luck:

Consider all that as being part of your education--what it feels like being the patient. Maybe those doctors with icy hands and boring waiting rooms could benefit from experiencing the other side.

Consider all that as being part of your education--what it feels like being the patient. Maybe those doctors with icy hands and boring waiting rooms could benefit from experiencing the other side.

Excellent point! Fortunately, I received superb treatment throughout the whole ordeal. But my eyes were certainly opened. I had no idea how uncomfortable surgery is (pre and post). Also, having to suffer through others stuffing my neck full of gauze everyday and taking it out until the hole filled in was extremely uncomfortable. Lastly, though pain receptors acclimate after a short time, I don't believe the pressure ones do (at least for me). I could always feel the pressure of the packing materials (iodoform gauze), which made me easily irritated because I was always uncomfortable.

Thank goodness I don't have to deal with these issues anymore. However, due to the nerve damage resulting from the surgical debridement of infected tissue, I am left with very little sensation within an inch of the wound in all directions. Oh, well, life moves on.:thumbup:

Thanks,

AZPOD Rocks!

Hey Everyone!

Hope everyone is well!

AZPOD Rocks!

So will you return to the profession???

Sorry to hear what you had to go thru. I'm glad you are feeling better and nerve fibers and feeling can take up to a year to return, maybe some will still return.

Best of luck in what ever you choose to do.