Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

yet another chances question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by fukite, Sep 3, 2001.

1. fukite

fukite New Member

hey all,

got a 5 ,9 ,9 (cum = 23) in april, a 3.82 sci gpa, 3.4 non sci with a 3.6 overall with hospital volunteer experience and D.O. shadowing... Where do you guys think I stand?

2. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Unless you have something outstanding and unique in your background, I say you need to work on bumpin that 5 up. Yet even if you improve your MCAT score you still need to work on improving your extra-curricular background. DO schools focuss a little more on applicants' personal and extracurricular background. And probably 9 out of 10 applicants have shadowed a DO and have done hospital volunteering at some point in their life. What have you done or what is it about you that is different--that stands out? That's what I recommend you work on.

Best luck.

3. fukite

fukite New Member

here are my other volunteer experiences/ec's...

-Volunteer Elmhurst Memorial Hospital

-Volunteer Alden Trails (a type of nursing home for children and adolescents)
    -shadowing a DO in family practice
    -shadowing a DO in oncology
    -(possibly gonna shadow another DO again in family practice)

-IEMS- and emergency medical organization responsible for providing emergency care at athletic and social events at the univeristy

-Illini blood network-

volunteer at carle hospital

volunteer lifelink retirement homes

-Amnesty international

-(lincoln's challenge)-student mentor to high school dropouts..

...well thats pretty much it....i would include the dates and stuff but i gotta run to class...

any other suggestions will greatly be appreciated!

thanks

4. jean

jean Member
    7+ Year Member

Did you apply yet? Why not try it and see what happens. I also suggest visiting schools you are interested in attending. At that point, you can talk to the admissions office about your MCAT and GPA. The best advice you can get is from the admissions office.