Yet another DAT, GPA, etc question - refreshing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLDwood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A background: I'm a working dad with a family.

(1.) My question: Since I can't really attend school full time and I can only take a maximum of 1-2 science (POST BACH) course per semester - how will ADD_COM's evaluate my capacity to tackle had core upper division courses?

Are ADD_COM's reasonable and not reject my application because I'm not attending school full time and not taking full credit?

(2.) What percentage of schools require NBDE part 1 immediately after D1?

(3.) My current GPA is 3.24. I have two college degrees, the second being biology. Since I have way too many college credits and it's almost impossible to make a serious upward dent i.e. 3.5sh........what other alternatives should I consider to strengthen my application other than going to grad school.

(4.) To married folks: how in the world are you guys going to feed your family while laboring hard to become a great-top-notch aspiring dentist?

(5.) Is dental assisting a beneficial skill/background during clinical(s)? Can one find dental assisting gigs while in dental schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I think the ADD_Com's will definitely understand that going to school at night while raising a family and working is more than enough proof that you can handle a heavy load!

I have a wife and baby boy and worry about the same thing that you do. I've talked to many other dental students who are in the same boat and they all seem to be doing the same thing: school full time (and yes the wives suffer), government welfare, subsidized housing, student loans etc etc. And sometimes the wife finds a small job like cutting hair to get some extra bucks. One dental student at Case told me that the school really does everything they can to make sure all their students get the money necessary to make it through. But welfare is huge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I think the ADD_Com's will definitely understand that going to school at night while raising a family and working is more than enough proof that you can handle a heavy load!

Thanks Liv...

I have a wife and baby boy and worry about the same thing that you do. I've talked to many other dental students who are in the same boat and they all seem to be doing the same thing: school full time (and yes the wives suffer), government welfare, subsidized housing, student loans etc etc. And sometimes the wife finds a small job like cutting hair to get some extra bucks. One dental student at Case told me that the school really does everything they can to make sure all their students get the money necessary to make it through. But welfare is huge.

I will probably do the welfare stuff when I get there....

The military is very tempting...and since I already know the culture.....man, just read those military threads about the bonus and stipend - pretty attractive route.

It would be awesome to just study and be top of the class and not worry about food and shelter...:rolleyes: