Yet another new pharmacy school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what do you mean bullsh*t....trust me....I saw his taxes...he showed it to me to convince me to go to Pharm school because I was complainig about the debt.....

that is why retail is soo popular with people...except, its going down thanks to the Walgreens POWER system!

Members don't see this ad.

Median salary of pharmacists increased again this month, somewhere around $106,000 depending on your source, and it seems we are getting closer to the end of the recession. Who knows what will happen. 2012 the Earth will collide with Planet X???

Median salary of pharmacists increased again this month, somewhere around $106,000 depending on your source, and it seems we are getting closer to the end of the recession. Who knows what will happen. 2012 the Earth will collide with Planet X???

Mark my words, December 12 2012 giant leviathans from the north pole gonna kill us all ^^

Seriously though, I don't think there's anyone here that isn't a pharm student, resident, pharmacist, or prepharm students. We wouldn't know if you make the right choice or not because we (or at least I) have not made that decision.

I'm still not sure what you want us to tell you here. The whole pharmacists surplus thing have been discussed to DEATH on this forum. I mean we had anecdotes from everyone and their grandmas and statistics from all kind of sources. The first thread on this forum is a pharmacist surplus thread and it has a kazillion pages or so. The market doesn't change that much in a few weeks.

^^

I propose we switch to talking about pancakes. I personally love non-chain pancakes, but iHOP's banana-cheese pancakes are to die for =D

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: My staff pharmacist at Wal-Mart made $200,000 last year, he showed me his taxes, and after taxes were taken out....he was left with about $180,000

Honestly i dont know which part is more absurd: the fact that he made 200k as a retail pharmacist (unless he was working 60-70 hours a week on average), or the fact that he only had 10% of that salary taken out of taxes... especially in a state like California

I propose we switch to talking about pancakes. I personally love non-chain pancakes, but iHOP's banana-cheese pancakes are to die for =D
I just bought a 2 pound box of pancake mix from Big Lots for $1.50. Gonna cook them up Sunday morning.

Honestly i dont know which part is more absurd: the fact that he made 200k as a retail pharmacist (unless he was working 60-70 hours a week on average), or the fact that he only had 10% of that salary taken out of taxes... especially in a state like California

How many pancakes can you buy in California for 180k?

YES, he was working about 60 hours a week....expect a lot of hours came from commuting....for example, he lives in Laguna beach...and sometimes he would have to drive to a pharmacy in the desert which is like 3 hours away....so 3 hours driving to the desert....8 hours of working....3 hours driving back...for one day he gets paid for 14 hours of work.

And another thing about California, Pharmacists in Cali dont get a salary...they get paid by the hour....and if you work over 8 hours a day...that is OVERTIME..

so on a normal basis...you get paid $55/hr....if you go overtime, its goes to about $70/hour.

now back to my pharmacist....when he was floating, he would get 14 hours.....which means 6 hours of overtime....

so basically, for one day, he made $55/hr for the normal 8 hours...then $65/hr for the 6 hours of "overtime" and then more money for the milage....

TRUST ME, with all the hours he was working, and the overtime he got, and the money for milage...he made $200,000 last year.

Last edited:
YES, he was working about 60 hours a week....expect a lot of hours came from commuting....for example, he lives in Laguna beach...and sometimes he would have to drive to a pharmacy in the desert which is like 3 hours away....so 3 hours driving to the desert....8 hours of working....3 hours driving back...for one day he gets paid for 14 hours of work.

And another thing about California, Pharmacists in Cali dont get a salary...they get paid by the hour....and if you work over 8 hours a day...that is OVERTIME..

so on a normal basis...you get paid $55/hr....if you go overtime, its goes to about $70/hour.

now back to my pharmacist....when he was floating, he would get 14 hours.....which means 6 hours of overtime....

so basically, for one day, he made $55/hr for the normal 8 hours...then $65/hr for the 6 hours of "overtime" and then more money for the milage....

TRUST ME, with all the hours he was working, and the overtime he got, and the money for milage...he made $200,000 last year.

well, i did forget the overtime part, but still that doesn't explain the fact that he only had 20k taken away in taxes. i dont even make half that amount and i have already paid that much in taxes

3 hours from laguna beach is....beyond barstow. he was better off living in vegas.

unless you're counting in traffic...but outbound laguna is anti-commute in the AM.

and the withholding you mentioned in your post doesn't make a lick of sense...sounds like he's fiddled with his W-4 a bit too much.

3 hours from laguna beach is....beyond barstow. he was better off living in vegas.

unless you're counting in traffic...but outbound laguna is anti-commute in the AM.

and the withholding you mentioned in your post doesn't make a lick of sense...sounds like he's fiddled with his W-4 a bit too much.

a topic involving CA and financials, i figure you'd chime in at some point, whats good man?

a topic involving CA and financials, i figure you'd chime in at some point, whats good man?

haha...i know right, i've been typecasted =( i'm the california mortgage hawker!

i'm back in philly...first (almost) full week of school is underway; my doom and gloom outlook on pharmacy is abating as I've talked to more and more "off the beaten path" pharmacists. spent like $500 at costco yesterday, what was I thinking?!

well, i did forget the overtime part, but still that doesn't explain the fact that he only had 20k taken away in taxes. i dont even make half that amount and i have already paid that much in taxes

ok ok...I will ask him again about his taxes...maybe it was more than 20K...but still.....not bad to make $200,000 as a floater....except Wal-MArt is cutting heavily on floater hours....just making it more difficult :(

Members don't see this ad :)
haha...i know right, i've been typecasted =( i'm the california mortgage hawker!

i'm back in philly...first (almost) full week of school is underway; my doom and gloom outlook on pharmacy is abating as I've talked to more and more "off the beaten path" pharmacists. spent like $500 at costco yesterday, what was I thinking?!

$500 at costco? what 5 year supply of food items did u get there?

ok ok...I will ask him again about his taxes...maybe it was more than 20K...but still.....not bad to make $200,000 as a floater....except Wal-MArt is cutting heavily on floater hours....just making it more difficult :(

i mean if someone wants to work that much thats their business, but if your main purpose is trying to make bank im not sure if working as many hours as humanly possible in retail is the best way to do it

$500 at costco? what 5 year supply of food items did u get there?
IMG_0773_upload.jpg

Yellow dots weren't mine... but there was a $120 hard drive + $30 worth of hummus and pita chips on another receipt that even it out. haha

IMG_0773_upload.jpg

Yellow dots weren't mine... but there was a $120 hard drive + $30 worth of hummus and pita chips on another receipt that even it out. haha

LOOOL....is pharmacy school really that easy OR boring that you have the time to take a picture of your receipt and upload it here :laugh:

LOOOL....is pharmacy school really that easy OR boring that you have the time to take a picture of your receipt and upload it here :laugh:

haha yes, it's week 1...aka syllabus and expectation week. actually we've been diving into material in my non-science courses (mgmt and drug info/lit review).

but clearly yes i have time to drive to costco, spend 2hrs there to eat a chicken bake/try samples/shop, drop 1/2 a G on random crap, drive home, unload....OH so i guess i cut off the line item at the top for "guitar hero world tour" ($50-$20 coupon), I had time to hook that up and play for an hour. oh yeah, and i had time to go on SDN, respond to your post, take a picture of my costco receipt with my phone, and upload it.

I love pharm school.

haha yes, it's week 1...aka syllabus and expectation week. actually we've been diving into material in my non-science courses (mgmt and drug info/lit review).

but clearly yes i have time to drive to costco, spend 2hrs there to eat a chicken bake/try samples/shop, drop 1/2 a G on random crap, drive home, unload....OH so i guess i cut off the line item at the top for "guitar hero world tour" ($50-$20 coupon), I had time to hook that up and play for an hour. oh yeah, and i had time to go on SDN, respond to your post, take a picture of my costco receipt with my phone, and upload it.

I love pharm school.

Glad to know the Tampax Pearl wasn't yours.:smuggrin:

Glad to know the Tampax Pearl wasn't yours.:smuggrin:

haha, the Always aren't mine either :D

I was SO close to buying the stainless steel automatic/infrared trash can w/ matching bathroom unit....but it was another $50 I didn't feel like spending that on something that holds trash.

what do you mean bullsh*t....trust me....I saw his taxes...he showed it to me to convince me to go to Pharm school because I was complainig about the debt.....

that is why retail is soo popular with people...except, its going down thanks to the Walgreens POWER system!

A very unique and isolated case. Wal-Mart does employ floaters who work anywhere in a particular state as needed.

I interviewed with Wal-Mart a few years ago in Colorado. The DM told me about their statewide floater positions. He said one of their statewide floaters made over 200k a year. There were quite a few bad points to the job. One you traveled all the time sometimes for a week or two at a time if you were covering someone’s vacation. You did not have much notice when and where you would be working or for how long. You also could not turn anything down. The DM told me if they needed you in Grand Junction in 2 days for a week you had to go.

Sounded great if you were young and single. Impossible if you have a family.

Wow only a 6% tax....nice.

I should note that the hummus and the hard drive were purchased in DE with no sales tax...i was going to do that but realized that most of the things that were on my shopping list weren't taxed at all in PA (hence only <$10 tax for a $460 bill), so the drive wasn't worth it.

So that's one thing I don't miss from CA...ugly sales tax. Before I head back, I will drop a few grand on upgraded electronics, new suits, etc...

hey mountain...how long does a box of costco diapers (242 i think?) last you?

anyway, back to topic... i think a lot of people whose work experiences are limited to small part time jobs (or nothing at all while in school) have kind of a skewed sense of what is and isn't a lot of money in the real world. you just never know because expenses are hidden (parents pay rent, your food, car, etc...)

It may sound paradoxical--you'd think someone would feel rich making $10/hr if they don't pay housing/car/utilities or contribute to their 401k--but I do believe that not physically dealing with this stuff leads to a distorted view of money in general. You get the stupid pre-pharmers that think they'll live like kings with a Maserati in the garage on a $100k gross salary; then you'll get people thinking that $50k/yr net pay lands you in skid row.

Just my $.02...ultimately, pharmacy was the right balance between personal interest, job security, and salary. If I really wanted to push things, I could have pulled in $300-400k/yr at my old job...I just didn't like the idea that I could make ZERO the following year (which, not surprisingly, happened to most people in the equities division the year after I left).

There's really no such thing as "recession proof" anymore, hopefully the past two years have taught people to stop looking for that bullet-proof career because it doesn't exist.

christ on a bike, i type too much. time to read for class

I should note that the hummus and the hard drive were purchased in DE with no sales tax...i was going to do that but realized that most of the things that were on my shopping list weren't taxed at all in PA (hence only <$10 tax for a $460 bill), so the drive wasn't worth it.

So that's one thing I don't miss from CA...ugly sales tax. Before I head back, I will drop a few grand on upgraded electronics, new suits, etc...

hey mountain...how long does a box of costco diapers (242 i think?) last you?

anyway, back to topic... i think a lot of people whose work experiences are limited to small part time jobs (or nothing at all while in school) have kind of a skewed sense of what is and isn't a lot of money in the real world. you just never know because expenses are hidden (parents pay rent, your food, car, etc...)

It may sound paradoxical--you'd think someone would feel rich making $10/hr if they don't pay housing/car/utilities or contribute to their 401k--but I do believe that not physically dealing with this stuff leads to a distorted view of money in general. You get the stupid pre-pharmers that think they'll live like kings with a Maserati in the garage on a $100k gross salary; then you'll get people thinking that $50k/yr net pay lands you in skid row.

Just my $.02...ultimately, pharmacy was the right balance between personal interest, job security, and salary. If I really wanted to push things, I could have pulled in $300-400k/yr at my old job...I just didn't like the idea that I could make ZERO the following year (which, not surprisingly, happened to most people in the equities division the year after I left).

There's really no such thing as "recession proof" anymore, hopefully the past two years have taught people to stop looking for that bullet-proof career because it doesn't exist.

christ on a bike, i type too much. time to read for class

If you dont mind me asking....how old were you when you applied to pharmacy school?

Actually, how old is everyone here, and at what age did you guys apply to pharmacy school...

If you dont mind me asking....how old were you when you applied to pharmacy school?

Actually, how old is everyone here, and at what age did you guys apply to pharmacy school...

24 upon application, 25 upon acceptance. started working 2 years before i finished undergrad and worked ~3 years after graduation. actually, you can argue that I *still* work in my old field (as of 8/2009), but I don't really count it.

I'll be 29 upon graduation, still on-time with my psychological "30" personal deadline.

Size 5 diapers with 176 per box lasts approximatly 8 days. We go to Costco once a month and I buy 4 boxs of diapers and 18 big cans of formula (these last about three months).

I'd shop around. I've noticed costco to be one of the more expensive places for diapers/wipes, etc. I typically get them from Target, but I'll buy from the reduced/clearance section of grocery stores on occasion. Though I'm not picky when it comes to diapers like some people. I try to pay less than .10 per and usually get pretty close. Costco in SoCal is typically $20-22 for standard large packs I can usually pick them up at Target for $13-17 depending on the sale. As for formula, I fortunately don't have to go there, wife's a SAHM so not really a need there.

I guess on the bright side the crappy pay would eliminate a lot of competition and would only allow for those interested in going into hospital practice to pursue the job...

Eh, it said you need two years prior pharmacy experience "in an organized healthcare setting" (I don't know wtf that means- maybe hospital only?). If they were taking fresh pharmD grads, that would be different. Maybe the pay at shands is significantly better (like 10k +/year) if you complete a residency? Or maybe it is indeed just a sh*& hole

that is crappy, and shands is a sh*% hole anyways

Look like PharmD will earn even less than or about the same rate as NPs in the future... sad.. I know NPs that earn more than > $40/hr...

Look like PharmD will earn even less than or about the same rate as NPs in the future... sad.. I know NPs that earn more than > $40/hr...

I make 50 and tell nps what to do

I make 50 and tell nps what to do

Yeah.. but this is for now.. We don't have crystal ball to see the future. ... well.. we'll see.. I also hope it will continue to be this way.:)

Last edited:
Shands pays crap. They pay their Gastroenterologists 180k when they can make 250k-300k+ in other places.

Standard age for application to UNi in UK is 18. I did so, but as the uni was full, opted for two year apprenticeship and entered Uni when 20. Fully qualified at 24, but then had two years National Service to do so never really worked as a pharmacist until 26.
Compensated by working until this last December and will be 76 this year.
johnep

Standard age for application to UNi in UK is 18. I did so, but as the uni was full, opted for two year apprenticeship and entered Uni when 20. Fully qualified at 24, but then had two years National Service to do so never really worked as a pharmacist until 26.
Compensated by working until this last December and will be 76 this year.
johnep

Hell yeah!! didnt know you were 76! keep up the great work!!

Size 5 diapers with 176 per box lasts approximatly 8 days. We go to Costco once a month and I buy 4 boxs of diapers and 18 big cans of formula (these last about three months).

Jeez how many kids do you have? :eek:

There seems to be an awful lot of necro'ing lately...