Yet another new pharmacy school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Next stop, fully online PharmD degrees with virtual laboratories?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. We'll be making virtual suppositories.
No kidding. Actually, computer guided IV compounding would be a very reasonable and viable part of a virtual pharmacy. If the compounding materials and equipment are enclosed within a sterile, sealed environment, the threat of contamination, infection, injury would drastically decrease. o_O

Our ex-dean also informed us recently that Farleigh Dickinson (or however it's spelled) is opening a pharmacy school as well (NJ).. The best part about that - NJ is SUPER-saturated with pharmacists.

There is no rhyme or reason to opening new schools - just money.

It's disgusting.

Is it just me or did pharmacy schools increase by 25% the past 20 years???

Our ex-dean also informed us recently that Farleigh Dickinson (or however it's spelled) is opening a pharmacy school as well (NJ).. The best part about that - NJ is SUPER-saturated with pharmacists.

There is no rhyme or reason to opening new schools - just money.

It's disgusting.

Are you serious?

WE HAVE NO NEED FOR MORE PHARMACISTS HERE IN NJ.

These people in academia are absolutely out of touch with reality.

Are you serious?

WE HAVE NO NEED FOR MORE PHARMACISTS HERE IN NJ.

These people in academia are absolutely out of touch with reality.
Articles like the one Yahoo! put out a little while ago coupled with numerous misconceptions about exactly what pharmacy entails and just what the job outlook is like has drastically increased the amount of applicants. It's no surprise that schools want a piece of the big money pie but if economics has taught us anything, this bubble will burst eventually if someone doesn't reign in all the schools trying to open up programs.

the ACPE accrediting board or whatever its called seriously needs to take a look at whats going on... hell at this rate we can start our own SDN pharmacy school where students can apply via PM

glad i got in and done when i did

Soon there are going to be as many pharmacy schools as there are Walgreens and CVS stores. I can see it now. Every street corner in America will have a Walgreens on one corner and a CVS right across the street and a Pharmacy school right across from that.

Like Mikey says. It won't be long before there is a University of Phoenix online school of pharmacy. Now accepting their first class of 10,000.

ACPE is in a tough situation. If they were to stop pharmacy schools opening just because of numbers, they will be sued. The only thing they can do easily is to toughen the accreditation requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awww... poor little cute lemmings. They need to start a trap-fix-release program for lemmings. :idea:

Well unfortunately we live in a land of both opportunity and capitalism. Deal with it.

However, you DO not see all these medical and dental schols opening up. Yes, there are quite a few new D.O. (osteopathic schools). If medicine and dentistry and control new schools from opening, then the pharmacists should be able to as well. There needs to be more lobbying and political power, here.
I would advice people interested in pharmacy to simply apply to medical school right now, and specialize in pharmacology during residency.

Also, in NJ, similar thing happened with nursing. Hospitals are closing down in NJ and many recent graduates in NJ cannot find a job after they are done with nursing school. Google "NJ allnurses".

Unfortunantly all these pre-pharm students don't realize that where you go to pharm school is going to make a lot of difference very shortly... especially when it comes to things like residency.

Two years ago I would have said it wouldn't have made a lick of difference. No name college that accepts students with a 2.6 GPA is not going to be able to compete with long established programs. The job market isnt what it used to be where every retail chain would be begging any pharm graduate to work for them. I mean seriously...this is what the preofession is becoming? Anyone willing to spend 200k can get a pharmd?

Two years ago I would have said it wouldn't have made a lick of difference. No name college that accepts students with a 2.6 GPA is not going to be able to compete with long established programs.

And what really sucks is that I might be forced into doing a residency down the road simply for self-preservation...not because I actually want to, per se. :mad:

And what really sucks is that I might be forced into doing a residency down the road simply for self-preservation...not because I actually want to, per se. :mad:

Yes! Join the dark side!

I signed up for another year of this crap for the same reason.

Unfortunantly all these pre-pharm students don't realize that where you go to pharm school is going to make a lot of difference very shortly... especially when it comes to things like residency.

Two years ago I would have said it wouldn't have made a lick of difference. No name college that accepts students with a 2.6 GPA is not going to be able to compete with long established programs. The job market isnt what it used to be where every retail chain would be begging any pharm graduate to work for them. I mean seriously...this is what the preofession is becoming? Anyone willing to spend 200k can get a pharmd?
That's what it sounds like.

I have zero interest in doing a residency. I may not even go to the ASHP convention this year, even though my cousin lives in Vegas and performs for a well-known company :cool:, because the idea of a residency is such a turn-off. It's like a sick spawn from the motherly god academia. :barf:

I'll just go where they need me fresh out of school and do additional education later down the line as it becomes necessary. Or if I feel homesick and sad from having my umbilical cord cut from mother academia, I'll go back to school sooner. - Residencies are ****.

I agree, especially now that the PharmD is increasingly becoming a joke with the McDonaldization of pharmacy schools.

This issue is actually something I am addressing now. The school I got accepted for in the Fall is a good school and has been around for quite a while, but another school I'm looking at has a great reputation, but I need another year to finish their prereqs.

If anyone cares to weigh in please do:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615715

That's what it sounds like.

I have zero interest in doing a residency. I may not even go to the ASHP convention this year, even though my cousin lives in Vegas and performs for a well-known company :cool:, because the idea of a residency is such a turn-off. It's like a sick spawn from the motherly god academia. :barf:

I'll just go where they need me fresh out of school and do additional education later down the line as it becomes necessary. Or if I feel homesick and sad from having my umbilical cord cut from mother academia, I'll go back to school sooner. - Residencies are ****.

I don't think residency is that bad! I feel like I have learned a lot more about patient care and far more clinical skills that I could have ever done in school. I mean yes, there is a lot of stupid crap that you have to deal with on a daily basis and a lot of stupid projects you have to do. I feel like all the projects I need to do impede my ability to provide pt care.

It all depends on what you want to do with your life after school.

I don't think residency is that bad! I feel like I have learned a lot more about patient care and far more clinical skills that I could have ever done in school. I mean yes, there is a lot of stupid crap that you have to deal with on a daily basis and a lot of stupid projects you have to do. I feel like all the projects I need to do impede my ability to provide pt care.
Are they trying to teach you how to become an academic, clinical pharmacist? That would justify the need to do projects.

How so? Please explain that notion. I have NEVER gotten a good explanation as to why you "have" to do a residency, but people like to say that over and over again.

Is is because you have to play into the game in order to get where you need to go? That's all that I have been able to come up with.

(Note: I'm not trying to start a debate about the need for specialized training or higher education. I'm trying to get to the meat of a dilemma, not to start another "pissing" match.)

I'd like to know, honestly, what the difference in acquired knowledge is between a formal residency and the load of random crap I've learned just being thrown out on my own sink-or-swim style all alone on various weekend nights. Don't know something? Better figure it out fast.

I think a residency would be an ok thing for me if they just cut out the academic crap. I just despise that type of an atmosphere. And, really, the entire concept pisses me off to begin with. If you want to pursue a certain track with your degree you HAVE TO take a giant pay cut for 1-2 years while others that chose something else among the motley assortment of opportunities out there for grads get trained at full pay. It's like facade of prestige from being "residency-trained" is enough to warrant such a decrease in pay. Really, that's what it is. Hospitals, other such institutions, and schools form a sort of a co-op together to train their collective workforce for peanuts. It's bull****.

If you want to pursue a certain track with your degree you HAVE TO take a giant pay cut for 1-2 years while others that chose something else among the motley assortment of opportunities out there for grads get trained at full pay. It's like facade of prestige from being "residency-trained" is enough to warrant such a decrease in pay. Really, that's what it is. Hospitals, other such institutions, and schools form a sort of a co-op together to train their collective workforce for peanuts. It's bull****.
'Training for peanuts' is a major drawback and perhaps the most adverse part of the residency concept.

What's wrong with 2/3's the pay across the board? That would be more palatable.

The overall concept doesn't make any sense to me, and that's a big problem, too.

Is is because you have to play into the game in order to get where you need to go? That's all that I have been able to come up with.

I do think that is a large part of it. I'm not saying it is right...

Basically, yes. And the same thing happened when the PharmD was started. People with BS degrees and 20 years experience were given the shaft in many situations because they didn't have a certain title under their name. I could totally see that happening in the future. I'll be 45 y/o with 20 years experience and some 26 year old brat fresh out of residency will be given something over me.

yet another pharmacy school opening in Buffalo, NY

D' Youville College- pharmacy program

see for yourself

http://www.dyc.edu/academics/pharmacy/early_assurance.asp

We'll see...they still have yet to gain pre-accreditation from the NYS Education Department, let alone ACPE. Last I looked, they were still hunting around for a Pharmacy Practice Chair.

It would be absolutely terrible for UB if they opened. St. John Fisher and LECOM Erie are bumping up against UB's established rotation spots, another school in the same city would kill them.

We'll see...they still have yet to gain pre-accreditation from the NYS Education Department, let alone ACPE. Last I looked, they were still hunting around for a Pharmacy Practice Chair.

It would be absolutely terrible for UB if they opened. St. John Fisher and LECOM Erie are bumping up against UB's established rotation spots, another school in the same city would kill them.

It wouldn't even touch UB. The other schools (LECOM. SJF and D-vill) are private diploma mills with weak credentials and no history. UB is top 15 in the country with great research and has been around for over 120 years. They get over 800 applications for 150 spots. D-ville will maybe take 150 people and those are all people that could not get into UB. If anything, it will draw attention to how UB is top ranked and the other are riding the gravy train. Like I said in another thread. I know people how are excited for D-ville opening because they failed multiple times trying to get into UB.

Plus, I don't think rotation spots are going to become tight. There are more than enough in the western NY area

It wouldn't even touch UB. The other schools (LECOM. SJF and D-vill) are private diploma mills with weak credentials and no history. UB is top 15 in the country with great research and has been around for over 120 years. They get over 800 applications for 150 spots. D-ville will maybe take 150 people and those are all people that could not get into UB. If anything, it will draw attention to how UB is top ranked and the other are riding the gravy train. Like I said in another thread. I know people how are excited for D-ville opening because they failed multiple times trying to get into UB.

Plus, I don't think rotation spots are going to become tight. There are more than enough in the western NY area
UB is ranked top 15 according to whom? And what criteria?

with all these new schools popping up, i wonder where they will find the staffing talent???

with all these new schools popping up, i wonder where they will find the staffing talent???
I've been wondering the same thing. What I'm really interested in is what is going to happen at UNE. They've yet to reach pre-candidate status but have begun sending out acceptance letters apparently.

This is a huge problem facing the profession as well. Do we have the right people teaching our future colleagues?

Even if UB is not top 15, they are pretty decent.
I got no doubt about that...it just irritates me when people start getting into "rankings" about how good their schools are since there are no rankings that are worth anything.

I never met to give UB a explicit ranking, but to state that it is one of the top in the country and these new school will never be able to come close in reputation, history, and quality. I hate the ranking systems too.

From the UNE thread in pre-pharm...

"i got an interview for 17. my stat is pretty darn low. 3.0 gpa and 2.0 grad gpa. i got ~50% on math and sciences and way lower on reading and verbal."

Downright depressing.

From the UNE thread in pre-pharm...

"i got an interview for 17. my stat is pretty darn low. 3.0 gpa and 2.0 grad gpa. i got ~50% on math and sciences and way lower on reading and verbal."

Downright depressing.

And people get mad when we look down upon the new schools? I had a PCAT in the 80s, math and chem in the upper 90s, a 3.4 science GPA and I made it in by a tiny margin. I mean, like, deferred until May 30th. Someone had to refuse their seat for me to get in. Today, I'd be the prized admittee at some of these new schools. Good gawd...

And people get mad when we look down upon the new schools? I had a PCAT in the 80s, math and chem in the upper 90s, a 3.4 science GPA and I made it in by a tiny margin. I mean, like, deferred until May 30th. Someone had to refuse their seat for me to get in. Today, I'd be the prized admittee at some of these new schools. Good gawd...
Forget residency, go teach? :D

I dare you to post that in the prepharm forums.

Why? Are the prepharm kiddies going to get uppity and demand satisfaction?

Remember what happened I tried to lead a "discussion" a year ago? I've since mellowed out.