Yet another new pharmacy school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Touro, CA graduated their first class this year

Members don't see this ad.

~57 dental schools I believe. Those greedy bastards sure know how to keep a lid on things.

ANOTHER

$2 million to develop Manchester College's pharmacy school in Fort Wayne. The money would be used to recruit a dean and other leaders, develop the curriculum and clinical rotation sites, recruit students and renovate facilities.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20090403/LOCAL/904039947

Seriously looking at other careers now. Any suggestions? Looking at PA

Members don't see this ad :)
So my school just hired 5 new faculty members...and one associate dean from UNC. I wonder what school we swiped them from.

Growing field = pharmacy faculty, hahaha

faculty positions are hard to fill - historically doesn't pay as well.

But I know a lot of younger people who have taken them and really enjoy them.

ANOTHER

$2 million to develop Manchester College's pharmacy school in Fort Wayne. The money would be used to recruit a dean and other leaders, develop the curriculum and clinical rotation sites, recruit students and renovate facilities.

Doubt that this one is going to get anywhere. By time this is approve and the funds are ready we'll have over 120+ schools and people are going to aware of the water from the bubbles bursting to realize that a pharmacy school won't bring in as much money as it is now (if ur private) ^^

Doubt that this one is going to get anywhere. By time this is approve and the funds are ready we'll have over 120+ schools and people are going to aware of the water from the bubbles bursting to realize that a pharmacy school won't bring in as much money as it is now (if ur private) ^^

Mmm not true, demand for the PharmD is such that if they open, they'll have a full class. Salary decreases won't materialize for at least 4-5 more years, too late to dissuade students from enrolling here.

ANOTHER

You missed the important part of that article. They're looking to widen both Gump AND Flutter roads. It's about damn time, they're way too narrow for my Hummer.

Reading this thread definitely shows why pharmacy is going down the way it is...because unlike medicine or dental instead of trying to come together to help each other out, pharmds rather bash eachother and dissuade prepharms from entering their field just to protect themselves for their personal and financial benefits. Not everyone wants to do pharmacy for the wrong reason, and it dosent necessarily mean that if a person decides to go to a candidate school that they are there for the money....it is so sad seeing why pharmacy will always be controlled by corporations and insurances, we will never have the support and lobby as md's, just because we rather screw our colleque over so that we don't lose our job. Well what goes around comes around I guess. I know its tough out there right now, and it is not gonna get any easier how can anything positive come out of dissuading ple from pursuing a career they want, no matter what reason it may be, noone has the right to take that from anyone, remember the land of opportunity thing?

Last edited:
Reading this thread definitely shows why pharmacy is going down the way it is...because unlike medicine or dental instead of trying to come together to help each other out, pharmds rather bash eachother and dissuade prepharms from entering their field just to protect themselves for theis personal and financial benefits. Not everyone wants to do pharmacy for the wrong reason, and it dosent necessarily mean that if a person decides to go to a candidate school that they are there for the money....it is so sad seeing why pharmacy will always be controlled by corporations and insurances, we will never have the support and lobby as md's, just because we rather screw our colleque over so that we don't lose our job. Well what goes around comes around I guess.

Please explain how it is "going down" (especially based on this thread). Have you ever been to an MD/DO conversation on these Forums? *****s (usually inexperienced *****s) have a lot of opinions, and if you think you have it all figured out, as you purport you do with this asinine post, why do you use the term "we"? If you are a Pharmacist, I would quit, and go to nursing school.

Last edited:
Please explain how it is "going down" (especially based on this thread). Have you ever been to a MD/DO conversation on these Forums? *****s (usually inexperienced *****s) have a lot of opinions, and if you think you have it all figured out, as you purport you do with this asinine post, why do you use the term "we"? If you are a Pharmacist, I would quit, and go to nursing school.
<br />
<br />
Are u dumb or do you just have a problem reading, my post is attacking people and their opinions who are saying all this stuff to dissaude future prepharms from pursuing pharmacy because these certain pharm students and pharmds are looking out for themselves so they are blowing up this whole doom and gloom thing way too much...so before you open your mouth make sure you take your foot out first you *****...and when I said "we" I meant anyone who is in or is pursuing this profession you idiot

<br />
<br />
Are u dumb or do you just have a problem reading, my post is attacking people and their opinions who are saying all this stuff to dissaude future prepharms from pursuing pharmacy because these certain pharm students and pharmds are looking out for themselves so they are blowing up this whole doom and gloom thing way too much...so before you open your mouth make sure you take your foot out first you *****...and when I said "we" I meant anyone who is in or is pursuing this profession you idiot

I still think you should go to nursing school...

Members don't see this ad :)
<br />
<br />

A post about pharmacists blowing up doom and gloom and being nasty to other people in the field...coming from the guy who-

a.) Frequently makes posts talking about how POWER will kill pharmacy.
b.) Opened up the biggest can of whoop-ass on this thread thus far.

I never could define irony, but boy can I give great examples of it.

<br />
<br />

And you had absolutely no response for how Pharmacy is "going down." I contend this is an idiotic statement based on reading diatribes from the peanut gallery, please refute this notion if you can...

A post about pharmacists blowing up doom and gloom and being nasty to other people in the field...coming from the guy who-

a.) Frequently makes posts talking about how POWER will kill pharmacy.
b.) Opened up the biggest can of whoop-ass on this thread thus far.

I never could define irony, but boy can I give great examples of it.

I can understand where the irony may come into play, but my whole POWER thing was never ever to dissuade people from pursuing pharmacy, I have never tried to tell people that they can not go to pharmacy school, it was only to inform people about what walgreens is doing and how that can affect the retail part of pharmacy. Its just funny to see that people who make up pharmacy is not at all working together compared to other health professions

Reading this thread definitely shows why pharmacy is going down the way it is...because unlike medicine or dental instead of trying to come together to help each other out, pharmds rather bash eachother and dissuade prepharms from entering their field just to protect themselves for their personal and financial benefits. Not everyone wants to do pharmacy for the wrong reason, and it dosent necessarily mean that if a person decides to go to a candidate school that they are there for the money....it is so sad seeing why pharmacy will always be controlled by corporations and insurances, we will never have the support and lobby as md's, just because we rather screw our colleque over so that we don't lose our job. Well what goes around comes around I guess. I know its tough out there right now, and it is not gonna get any easier how can anything positive come out of dissuading ple from pursuing a career they want, no matter what reason it may be, noone has the right to take that from anyone, remember the land of opportunity thing?

oh yeah dental and medicine really come to help each other out.....this is why FPs hate specialty physicians and visa versa....the docs i work with wont consult ID cause they think they are idiots......the surgeons read their own films because they dont trust the radiologist.....pharmacy is no dif. than any other healthcare profession...of course i think new schools are BS ....the fact they are admitting sub 3.0 gpa students is ridiculous....i have seen it first hand in the students i precept...the quality has gone down hill fast...so no im worried about covering my own a$#

And you had absolutely no response for how Pharmacy is "going down." I contend this is an idiotic statement based on reading diatribes from the peanut gallery, please refute this notion if you can...

When I said "goin down" I meant how pharmacy is so dispearsed and so ununited compared to other health professions, that "we" and don't ask me again who "we" is you *****, that factors such as new schools and corporate programs have stirred up so much in the pharmacy community and "we" cannot figure out anything to do about it but complain and dissaude others from becoming a pharmd....idiot

When I said "goin down" I meant how pharmacy is so dispearsed and so ununited compared to other health professions, that "we" and don't ask me again who "we" is you *****, that factors such as new schools and corporate programs have stirred up so much in the pharmacy community and "we" cannot figure out anything to do about it but complain and dissaude others from becoming a pharmd....idiot

So you have established you consider yourself a part of the "Pharmacy" community. So, please let us know how long you have been practicing pharmacy and in what area you practice.

oh yeah dental and medicine really come to help each other out.....this is why FPs hate specialty physicians and visa versa....the docs i work with wont consult ID cause they think they are idiots......the surgeons read their own films because they dont trust the radiologist.....pharmacy is no dif. than any other healthcare profession...of course i think new schools are BS ....the fact they are admitting sub 3.0 gpa students is ridiculous....i have seen it first hand in the students i precept...the quality has gone down hill fast...so no im worried about covering my own a$#

Well good for you, not everyone is as lucky...but even established schools are taking in sub gpa students...and when have you ever heard a doctor tell a premed not to go to medical school cuz you may one day take my job.

there is ABSOLUTELY nothing we can do about new schools....if they wanna open and have the money there is nothing stopping them as long as they can meet minimum criteria......and compared to what other health professions....MDs...the AMA represents 1/4 of MDs.....who the f represents PAs...i dunno......the main problem is we have a bunch of pharmds who just want to go to school get there 100,000 dollars and have no accountability

So you have established you consider yourself a part of the "Pharmacy" community. So, please let us know how long you have been practicing pharmacy and in what area you practice.

Again, you brainless 3rd grade educated fool...when I said "we" I meant the pharmacy community that consists of students and practitioners, this is my version of "we", it may not be yours or anyone elses but it was written by me, so it is my meaning of "we", here you go again talking with your foot in your mouth, just give it up because this conversation is too much for your little brain to comprehend

Again, you brainless 3rd grade educated fool...when I said "we" I meant the pharmacy community that consists of students and practitioners, this is my version of "we", it may not be yours or anyone elses but it was written by me, so it is my meaning of "we", here you go again talking with your foot in your mouth, just give it up because this conversation is too much for your little brain to comprehend

mmmm...well, I have to say Pri is a highly respected pharmacy practitioner practicing and training at the most prestigious institution in the world in his field. I wouldn't think he's a brainless 3rd grade educated fool.

there is ABSOLUTELY nothing we can do about new schools....if they wanna open and have the money there is nothing stopping them as long as they can meet minimum criteria......and compared to what other health professions....MDs...the AMA represents 1/4 of MDs.....who the f represents PAs...i dunno......the main problem is we have a bunch of pharmds who just want to go to school get there 100,000 dollars and have no accountability

You can't do anything, this country is as capitalist as it gets, "mostly" everyone is financially driven these days, that's every profession.

Well, to be fair, he just said that you consider yourself a member of the community by your own definition...and he wanted to know how long you've served in that respect.

He also didn't throw around unneeded ad hominems like "idiot" and "little brain." I deduct 3 points for lack of aesthetic style.

So, based on your assessment of the profession (ie, it is "going down"), what year are you? I think if you are a student, it is still early enough to get out. Not because I am worried about you taking my job (would never happen, no one in retail could take my job, they are not qualified, but I could take someone's job at Walgreens).

mmmm...well, I have to say Pri is a highly respected pharmacy practitioner practicing and training at the most prestigious institution in the world in his field. I wouldn't think he's a brainless 3rd grade educated fool.

He is also a bigger ******* than me. Which is quite an accomplishment to be honest...

Of course He is not a brainless fool, to be honest I have a lot of respect towards what he does and what he brings to this profession, he is one of the few people who has the key to truly expanding the profession. However this has nothing to do with you pri, just a more aggressive reply to your attact on me earlier :)

Well, to be fair, he just said that you consider yourself a member of the community by your own definition...and he wanted to know how long you've served in that respect.

He also didn't throw around unneeded ad hominems like "idiot" and "little brain." I deduct 3 points for lack of aesthetic style.

I resemble this sort of grading system!! Only Dubledore scores this way..

So, based on your assessment of the profession (ie, it is "going down"), what year are you? I think if you are a student, it is still early enough to get out. Not because I am worried about you taking my job (would never happen, no one in retail could take my job, they are not qualified, but I could take someone's job at Walgreens).

Ah, that's bull**** and you know it. Who the hell would hire a guy that hasn't been in the trenches in over a decade over a person whose been in the muck recently? Wags would hire the kid from Uncle Bob's School of Pharmacy that just got done with 4 years of interning in retail over you any day of the week.

I don't know why you would ever even think of taking a job at walgreens. But whatever. I don't plan on getting out I am here for the long run

or a pharmacist-anesthesiologist.....hahahahahahahahahaha:laugh:

what the hell guys, this topic is depressing, I feel like I dont want to do pharmacy anymore, even if I do and schools like LIU reject me I wouldnt give a damn...

Ill probably take one of the posters advice, history as a minor... and own a organic farm =/.

But... pharm is what I want to do... even if the pay is 60k...

what the hell guys, this topic is depressing, I feel like I dont want to do pharmacy anymore, even if I do and schools like LIU reject me I wouldnt give a damn...

Ill probably take one of the posters advice, history as a minor... and own a organic farm =/.

Oh the farm was my idea.. thank you very much

It's not IF the pay is 60K.

After taxes, the average annual pay for a pharmacist can fall in the range of 60K to 70K. This is not to say a pharmacist can't earn more money by investing wisely and/or open his or her own businesses.

Ah, that's bull**** and you know it. Who the hell would hire a guy that hasn't been in the trenches in over a decade over a person whose been in the muck recently? Wags would hire the kid from Uncle Bob's School of Pharmacy that just got done with 4 years of interning in retail over you any day of the week.

I will give you that.....maybe I meant that he is not a candidate for my job, but I am undoubtedly a candidate for a retail position (license...check, heartbeat...check).

Last edited:
lol... nursing school is no fun. I would not advise any person to go into nursing if they have the grades.

Dude...we're just being facetious. Most of us are big proponents of pharmacy practice and we still believe it's a great profession. The message we're trying to relay to students and prepharm is to look beyond the 6 figure salary and the wishful thinking of Wags courting you when you graduate.

Dude...we're just being facetious. Most of us are big proponents of pharmacy practice and we still believe it's a great profession. The message we're trying to relay to students and prepharm is to look beyond the 6 figure salary and the wishful thinking of Wags courting you when you graduate.
Ah I get it, nursing makes 70k in new york with a assc degree, then 80-90k with a masters, then 180 with a DNP, along with the CRNA status, there is alway a demand for nurses; but pharmacy on the other hand... thanks for the advice. I found a lot of information in this thread. THe salary is not going to push me away from pharmacy. I was not after the easy 6 figures anyways.

Ah I get it, nursing makes 70k in new york with a assc degree, then 80-90k with a masters, then 180 with a DNP, along with the CRNA status, there is alway a demand for nurses; but pharmacy on the other hand... thanks for the advice. I found a lot of information in this thread. THe salary is not going to push me away from pharmacy. I was not after the easy 6 figures anyways.

I dont know where people come up with the salary figures for nurses....a new nurse that works on my floor is thinking bout going to PHARMACY school....her take home pay is as much as my resident paycheck....yeah you can make money as a nurse but you often have to work LOTS of overtime and who the hell wants to do that after 3 12's with people throwing poo at you...

Really becauses bachelor of nursing starts out at 60k in most city hospitals that I know of. DNP gets paid 90k and may hit over six figures depending on their experience and certifications.

Also... they just did an excellent article on Wsj online. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124477098713308767.html

I guess the demand for nurses might not always be there. I know for a fact that a lot of nurses are being laid off or have their hours cut in NYC.

Nursing salaries have MANY more variables than pharmacists. I bet yoü could find a RN at about every possible salary