Yet another underdog asking for advice thread

Started by adamrose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adamrose

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN'ers. I am taking a needed study break from the DAT to reflect a little about my current situation. Would appreciate some insight

I Switched to pre-dental a few months before graduating. I really hope to go to my instate school for the obvious financial reasons, as I see it almost impossible and impractical to graduate with 425k in debt and be happy.

My top choice for dental school is UB, however I only have a 3.37Cgpa (Started with a 2.3 freshman year, continually have had a 3.5-3.8 from sophomore year on) and a 3.15Sgpa (C's in both gen chems and evo bio from freshman year)
my mother was diagnosed with cancer during my freshman year and this had a negative impact on me and was wondering what the best way to communicate this to schools would be.
Relevant info:
-UB undergrad
-3 TA positions in anatomy, physiology, biopsychology,
-Research for 1 year in virology
-Raised $5,000 for child patients w/ heart problems as philanthropy chair of my social frat.
-30 hours shadowing (I just switched, so I am also shadowing as I study for DAT)
~100 Hours volunteering in 2 hospitals
-EMT-B certified but no experience
-LOR from every professor I TAd for
I would say I have 7 LORS and 4 incredibly strong ones

Plans for my Gap year as I await school decisions:
-Lined up Dental Assistant job
-tutoring high school students for free

I am feeling like it would be close to impossible to get in even if I scored a 21-22AA (I feel like I could do this)

Would it be advisable from a financial perspective to get a masters and work my ass off to have a chance of getting into a state school like UB even if I get accepted from an expensive(100k/yr) school this cycle?

I have met the Dean of UB and have exchanged a few emails with him. I am not sure if it is making a significant impact on my chances though


Thank you
 
If you get a good DAT score you should have a good chance. The upward trend in your GPA will help as will your EC. Obviously no one can say for sure, but a 22+ on your DAT will look very good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the reason behind your GPA is a reasonable excuse, with a solid academic performance following it to back up the claim that you're a strong student. A high DAT will be your best bet, as mentioned above. It does seem like that GPA tends to have a negative impact on applicants from what I've seen on SDN.

I would cast a wide net this cycle. There's a number of public schools that grant in-state status after a year. UNLV and OSU come to mind. It'll give you more opportunities to attend a school that doesn't leave you $400K in the whole on day 1. All that said, keep in mind that delaying for a year to take another shot at UB (and not a private school) has an opportunity cost. What I mean by that is you're forfeiting a year of employment in the hopes that your education will be cheaper. Not necessarily a bad play, but something you'll have to take a hard look at.
 
I think the reason behind your GPA is a reasonable excuse, with a solid academic performance following it to back up the claim that you're a strong student. A high DAT will be your best bet, as mentioned above. It does seem like that GPA tends to have a negative impact on applicants from what I've seen on SDN.

I would cast a wide net this cycle. There's a number of public schools that grant in-state status after a year. UNLV and OSU come to mind. It'll give you more opportunities to attend a school that doesn't leave you $400K in the whole on day 1. All that said, keep in mind that delaying for a year to take another shot at UB (and not a private school) has an opportunity cost. What I mean by that is you're forfeiting a year of employment in the hopes that your education will be cheaper. Not necessarily a bad play, but something you'll have to take a hard look at.
How do I learn if a school offers instate tuition after a period of time? in the new ADEA, it doesn't list information like this