Yikes. What would you guys do here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cwc127

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is basically a question about asking teachers for points at the end of the semester, but my situation is a little unique.

In short, I needed a 97 on the final to get an A in my advanced french class. I got a 95.

Here's the kicker - I basically have all A's in the course....oral exams, online assignments, essays, etc. Except in the homework section.

My homework average is a B. BUT, it is a B because on the day she assigned homework for chapter 10, I was absent. One of my only 2 absences all semester. (actually had the ochem II midterm that day) So the next day, I wasn't able to hand it in. She drops our lowest HW grade from each chapter. For this chapter, the only one she assigned was the one I missed.

Soooo, what should I do? Do I grow up and take the B? Or do I storm her office tomorrow and let her know whats up, that I have A's across the board and the only thing keeping me back is a 0 on an assignment in which I happened to be absent that day? Do I have a legitimate argument?

Members don't see this ad.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to just go talk to the professor in a nice manner

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it, but she may require an extra oral examination ;)

My teacher the other day gave a student an 89.3 a B. You have to deal with it. Go to class.

I don't understand why you would need such a high grade on the final if your grades were almost all As in the class. BUT, it's worth trying. Just go to her and explain and see if she'll work something out. Maybe you can do the homework now, do some extra credit, etc.

My teacher the other day gave a student an 89.3 a B. You have to deal with it. Go to class.

Disagree. At least try to swing an A.

I have done it at least twice in my undergrad thus far, both times successfully.

(I also have one C and one B -- the only C and B -- from the unsuccessful attempts. But regardless, it is worth a try.)

This is basically a question about asking teachers for points at the end of the semester, but my situation is a little unique.

In short, I needed a 97 on the final to get an A in my advanced french class. I got a 95.

Here's the kicker - I basically have all A's in the course....oral exams, online assignments, essays, etc. Except in the homework section.

My homework average is a B. BUT, it is a B because on the day she assigned homework for chapter 10, I was absent. One of my only 2 absences all semester. (actually had the ochem II midterm that day) So the next day, I wasn't able to hand it in. She drops our lowest HW grade from each chapter. For this chapter, the only one she assigned was the one I missed.

Soooo, what should I do? Do I grow up and take the B? Or do I storm her office tomorrow and let her know whats up, that I have A's across the board and the only thing keeping me back is a 0 on an assignment in which I happened to be absent that day? Do I have a legitimate argument?

Whoa now, don't "storm into her office and let her know what's up." Pissing your teacher off would be a little counterproductive. Set up a meeting and have a discussion. You would have nothing to loose from that.

Go talk with her. You did great on the final that should be a big help with your case.

Ive scene this sort of thing go either way. Instead of just "asking" for points maybe ask if you can redo the homework for 1/4th credit or something equally small but will still put you in the A range.

You should at least ask.

Let me get this straight: you skipped class, didn't find out the homework, and consequently didn't have it to turn in? And then you didn't do well enough on the final to get an A, but you still think you deserve said A?

There's a reason profs hate pre-meds. The entitlement is ridiculous. If you didn't get an A, you didn't get an A. Such is life. I don't see how you feel like you have earned the right to go and bargain for a higher grade.

But apparently I stand alone with that viewpoint.

Members don't see this ad :)
zomggg i needed a 97 but i got 95 omggg the wurldz gonna eennndd!!!!!!!!

FYI, you're responsible for the things you miss due to your absense, I hope she gives you your deserved B :)

Let me get this straight: you skipped class, didn't find out the homework, and consequently didn't have it to turn in? And then you didn't do well enough on the final to get an A, but you still think you deserve said A?

There's a reason profs hate pre-meds. The entitlement is ridiculous. If you didn't get an A, you didn't get an A. Such is life. I don't see how you feel like you have earned the right to go and bargain for a higher grade.

But apparently I stand alone with that viewpoint.

How does the prof know the OP is a premed? It's a foreign language class.

Man, you earned a "B". The way you worded your post it looks like you earned that "B" by skipping class to concentrate on o-chem one day., and then not doing quite well enough on your exam and other tests to overcome that act.

If I were the one getting the grade, I'd be hoping that the instructor would, of her own accord, take pity on me and bump the grade up. They do that sometimes. I would NEVER ask for someone to give me a grade that I had not earned on my own. That's namby-pamby, whiny baby, spoiled brat, preschool behavior. It gives students a bad name.

I earned a "B" in a Spanish course. My average was 89.7. I was also, by far, the best student in the class. The only person that I deserved to be ticked off at for that "B" was myself for not giving the subject quite the effort that I could have. It was one of the best things, gradewise, that's happened to me. Once I calculated the difference a "B" makes in 4 years of credits, I realized that it's no big deal. The pressure was off. I no longer had to worry about trying to keep a 4.0. Whether or not I had that extra 3/100ths of a point, I would still know the same relative amount of Spanish. I was the same person with a "B" as I would have been with an "A".

Be a man, and either take the grade that you earned, or let your instructor give you her own boost, without being a wuss and trying to unduly influence the outcome.

Next time, schedule your studies better so that you don't skip one assignment to do last minute studying for another.

NO!!! Do NOT grow up OR give up! Fight, Fight, Fight and get that A!! If you have a SINGLE B on your transcript, you will not get into medical school!!! Not even the worst medical school in the US will accept you!! GET THE A AT ALL COSTS - EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BRIBE, BULLY, OR BLACKMAIL YOUR PROFESSOR!!!!

[/sarcasm]

For Pete's sake, grow up and take the B. It's not going to hurt your transcript that much, med schools won't care, and sometimes you just have to accept the way the chips fall.

You guys are so weird. Why would you go to a prof and try to change an 89 into a 90? Just take the grade you earned. Slightly improved chances of getting into med school are not worth becoming a giant tool.

Question... Is it really this easy to sway a teacher to change your grade? I mean, I will probably end up with an A- by literally 1.5 points in Sociology! And as for Political Science... I will end up with a B+ by only 2 points. Should I be going in there and trying to politely argue my way to an A and A-? If so, what are some of your guys' best techniques... :cool:

Skipping class when graded assignments are due is not a good excuse.

Try to convince her in Francais.

Use the subjunctive, they like that. Il faut que je attenderais (sp?) l'ecole medicine.

I had virtually the same problem (only I needed a 54 and got a 52...) in DiffEq. Anal math prof wouldn't give me the A.

Still, there is no harm in talking to her over a very borderline grade. This is win-push. No reason not to talk to her.

If you'd gotten the 54, you would have been into "A" territory than you were in "B" territory with the 52. Would you have asked her to reduce the grade to a "B", since you'd barely made the "A"? Of course not. No one ever asks to have his grade reduced when he knows that he didn't deserve the higher one.

Go for it! doesnt hurt to try, just be courteous. what's the worst she can do? drop you to a C?

I just decided that someday, when I am an instructor, I will insert a line in the syllabus that states that any student who requests a change in his grade that does not reflect what he earned in class will be docked _____ number of points from his total. If it doesn't reduce the number of ninnies visiting my office at the end of the term, at least it will give me an avenue to give them what their attitudes deserve.

She drops our lowest HW grade from each chapter. For this chapter, the only one she assigned was the one I missed.

If the syllabus states that she drops the lowest grade in each chapter argue that and say your 0 was the lowest grade in that chapter.

Now if she doesn't go for it, thank her for her time and for the class and move on. Don't lower yourself down to groveling for an "A" that in all reality you didn't earn.

People who do what you're thinking about doing are despicable; they're typically pre-med, they're spoiled, and they don't understand that the rules actually apply TO THEM as well as to the rest of the class.

Should you take the B? I wasn't aware of any choice to be made on your part. You got a B. If you'd shown up when you were supposed to, and gotten more questions right on the final, you'd have had an A. That's how grades are determined...

I have to agree with the majority of the posters here and say that you screwed up, so suck it up and take the B. It won't kill you. If it really concerned you, you should have gone to the prof a few weeks ago and asked if you could do any extra credit to get you over the hump.

Story time... sorry, arguing for a higher grade makes me think of this.

I mentioned him a few weeks ago, but I had this absolute d-bag theatre instructor for 2 classes my last semester of undergrad. He taught 3 classes, and I didn't know a single student that liked him; most of us downright hated this guy. I kid you not when I tell you the only comment on his ratemyprofessors page is, quite accurately, "He epitomizes everything that could possibly be self-serving or simply completely wrong about being an educator."

We had to have this meeting with him at the end of the semester where we basically had to argue for what grade we thought we deserved. I knew I wasn't going to get it, but I went in there telling him I thought I deserved an A, because I certainly didn't want to sabotage myself or make him feel justified in whatever crappier grade I was getting. I was getting a B (which I figured I was going to get), and then he asked me what I thought of his class.

This was a mistake on his part, since he'd already told me my final grade and if it wound up different on my transcript I'd raise hell til the dean served him his ass on a silver platter. So I reamed him out in regards to what I thought of his teaching style and treatment of his students, myself included. I know a few other people that were meeting him right afterwards basically told him the same thing, and he came out of the office a few minutes later almost in tears. Considering he had a few of us crying during the semester, we were like :smuggrin:. It was cathartic as all hell.

Anyway, yeah... suck it up and take the B, and next time ask for extra credit before the last week of class.

Anyway, yeah... suck it up and take the B, and next time ask for extra credit before the last week of class.

So you guys can just ask for extra credit and get it?

I wish that flew at my school. The Psych and Math dept at my school won't even allow extra credit or curves (even in all the neuro courses). Bio is a little more lax, but they would never just give us extra credit because we asked.

I would have gone up to the professor on the day the homework assignment was due, and said something about how you missed the last class, and didn't hear about the homework assignment, so could you turn it in the next class and get 1/2 credit for it. Then you wouldn't have had to worry about this, and you would have been making the effort before you knew what your final grade was.

I was unaware that growing up entailed lying down and taking whatever comes your way, instead of proactively trying to fix one's situation. :laugh:

Ignore the majority opinion for exactly what it is - a slew of hyper-competitive people trying to knock you down a peg, lest you take their spot in the next round of applications (read: gunners). Sure, one B won't make a huge difference, but what if you get another and another? Do you want this to be the B that causes you to miss the cutoff? Ultimately, every B is going to hurt your application and you have a fairly strong chance to secure an A. Schedule a sit-down, and plead your case (always remaining respectful and taking responsibility). If she's reasonable, I doubt she'll have a problem bumping you up. You aced everything except for one homework assignment that you missed (for illness, no doubt). That's a silly reason to have to settle for a B. Especially when you absolutely aced your final.

So you guys can just ask for extra credit and get it?

I wish that flew at my school. The Psych and Math dept at my school won't even allow extra credit or curves (even in all the neuro courses). Bio is a little more lax, but they would never just give us extra credit because we asked.
Not exactly, and I don't think this would fly with just any professor. However, I think if you have a good rapport with a good professor and go up to them politely at some point during the semester and say something along the lines of, "Is there any extra credit or anything else I can do to raise my grade for this class a few points?", I'd be willing to bet most of those professors would be up for helping you. I've had professors that would be willing to raise your grade if you were willing to do the extra work. If anything, they'd explicitly tell you what you need to do to pull X grade in the class.

Of course, it seems like the OP knew what had to be done and didn't accomplish it.

I agree with those who say to give it a try. I have tried this a couple of times with mixed results. There is nothing wrong in asking for more. I think it is quite smart.:)

I was unaware that growing up entailed lying down and taking whatever comes your way, instead of proactively trying to fix one's situation. :laugh:

Not taking the situation lying down is doing the work required up front and then accepting the grade you've earned. It's a French class, not a debate class. I had a professor (one of the best I've ever had) who left a good private school to teach at my state college and one his primary reasons was because he said he was sick of dealing with whiney students who couldn't accept the grades they earned. He said it never failed, some student (usually more than one), and sometimes their parents, would call him and try to talk him into a better grade. Some students whose parents had a lot of pull at the institution actually had the dean call him to "persuade" him into changing the student's grades. Those students left him with a very poor taste in his mouth and I can assure you he wouldn't have written any of them a LOR. So these are some things the OP should think about before groveling for a grade. Sometimes it's better to take a "B" and keep your self dignity than grovel and maybe receive a grade you didn't earn.

This is not being proactive. The term proactive would entail putting the work in first, not after.

Not exactly, and I don't think this would fly with just any professor. However, I think if you have a good rapport with a good professor and go up to them politely at some point during the semester and say something along the lines of, "Is there any extra credit or anything else I can do to raise my grade for this class a few points?", I'd be willing to bet most of those professors would be up for helping you. I've had professors that would be willing to raise your grade if you were willing to do the extra work. If anything, they'd explicitly tell you what you need to do to pull X grade in the class.

Of course, it seems like the OP knew what had to be done and didn't accomplish it.

I've heard students ask at my school and the prof always ends up giving them a weird look (just in my experience, I'm sure it works for some). I remember a student asking a Physics professor if he could take their physics final early, because he had 4 other finals that day and the prof looked at him for a second with a dumbfounded look on his face then he said, "Oh, I've gotcha you're a special needs student and need to take the exam in the testing center, right?" :laugh: The student just bowed his head and walked away.

Not taking the situation lying down is doing the work required up front and then accepting the grade you've earned. It's a French class, not a debate class.
This is not being proactive. The term proactive would entail putting the work in first, not after.

I always find the notion of "earning" a grade to be funny. Contrary to popular belief, a grade is fully subjective. The work one prof will give an 'A' for will only "earn" you a 'C' in a second class. So, then, what do you actually deserve? What have you earned? And if the same grade can earn you two separate marks, depending on the judgment at hand, what do you actually deserve? Had his professor marked slightly easier, he may have gotten his 97%. Had she been much tougher, he may have ended up with a 70% and this wouldn't be an issue at all. Or perhaps she could have offered bonus marks, like so many of you are reporting your profs do (which is a laughable notion to me). All marks earned are subjective, so the act of earning is meaningless. Subjective, subjective, subjective. In the words of a man much smarter than myself - "Tricky, tricky, tricky."

So then, how does taking it laying down translate here? Taking it laying down is believing the lie that there's such thing as truly earning the mark you got. This simply can't be true, as there's no objective standards with which to set it against. If, for every class, only the top 5% got an 'A,' then perhaps we could argue a standard. But it's simply not the case. In one class, 20% could get an 'A,' and in another, only 1%. If he can convince her to change his mark, then he's "earned" that mark, insofar that it is now on his transcript.

So please, I beseech you, delete the word "earn" from your vocabulary when speaking of marks. Understand that all that truly matters to the adcoms is those magic numbers, not the fact that you got them by establishing a good rapport with your prof and being convincing. Hell, when it's all said and done, I'd consider the communication skills required to pull that off more indicative of a good future doctor than the fact that he scored a 95% when he really needed a 97% on his final.

I always find the notion of "earning" a grade to be funny. Contrary to popular belief, a grade is fully subjective. The work one prof will give an 'A' for will only "earn" you a 'C' in a second class. So, then, what do you actually deserve? What have you earned? And if the same grade can earn you two separate marks, depending on the judgment at hand, what do you actually deserve? Had his professor marked slightly easier, he may have gotten his 97%. Had she been much tougher, he may have ended up with a 70% and this wouldn't be an issue at all. Or perhaps she could have offered bonus marks, like so many of you are reporting your profs do (which is a laughable notion to me). All marks earned are subjective, so the act of earning is meaningless. Subjective, subjective, subjective. In the words of a man much smarter than myself - "Tricky, tricky, tricky."

I could see your point if he was being graded in multiple classes, but this in one class utilizing the same rubric. Grading is subjective, but most professors grade in as consistent a manner as possible and differences are not usually going to be apparent in one class.

So then, how does taking it laying down translate here? Taking it laying down is believing the lie that there's such thing as truly earning the mark you got. This simply can't be true, as there's no objective standards with which to set it against. If, for every class, only the top 5% got an 'A,' then perhaps we could argue a standard. But it's simply not the case. In one class, 20% could get an 'A,' and in another, only 1%. If he can convince her to change his mark, then he's "earned" that mark, insofar that it is now on his transcript.

So please, I beseech you, delete the word "earn" from your vocabulary when speaking of marks. Understand that all that truly matters to the adcoms is those magic numbers, not the fact that you got them by establishing a good rapport with your prof and being convincing. Hell, when it's all said and done, I'd consider the communication skills required to pull that off more indicative of a good future doctor than the fact that he scored a 95% when he really needed a 97% on his final.

You have to be kidding? You don't think the disparity difference between an "A" and a "B", "C", "D", or "F" has been "earned?" I've posted on here in another thread that grading can be subjective between arbitrary percentage points (i.e., a 89.5% vs. a 90%, and it's really difficult to determine if a student who is so close really has an "A" understanding or a "B" understanding), but this affects everyone in the class in the same manner. So how much does the grading scale mean if begging or pleading for a higher grade yields results?

I agree with you about communication skills, but if you're going to use the doctor example here then let's be realistic and apply it to the whole situation. If someone doesn't do something a patient requires or makes a mistake with a patient then they will have to learn to live with that mistake, because there is no talking your way out of it. The patient may live with no abnormality, be permanently affected, or even die as a result of this mistake, but regardless of the situation we are all ultimately responsible for our decisions. This is just one example where consequences result from a mistake on the students part. I'm sure the OP is a great student and I wish him well, but think that sometimes realizing your error and correcting it next time is more important than getting the grade changed this time and learning that it's possible to skirt the system, thus relying on that rather than ones own ability to complete the work required of the course. We all know there are thousands of ways to circumvent the system and this is just one of them, but in my personal opinion I don't think this is a good character building exercise. You can do whatever makes you comfortable with your education, but an opinion was asked and one was given, obviously ours differ, but those differences are what make us each unique in our education. I think the better argument is using the posted syllabus to argue the dropped homework assignment, not a subjective assessment of ones own skills followed by tears or bartering in a professors office.

Stastistically speaking, there is no reason not to talk to the professor. At worst, your grade stays the same.

Because of the absolute absurdity of the whole 90.000% = A at 4 grade points and 89.999% = B only 3 grade points, if you're close, most professors will round up. I had an 89.7% in chem earlier this year, yet my midterm grade was an "A". I didn't take my chances and raised it to a 92, but still, our professor is nice enough to know that you shouldn't take a hit on a technicality if you show an effort. Since you've shown attendance and probably lots of class participation your professor should be open to an appeal of some kind.

OP, I posted an answer earlier. That is what I would do because I don't mind getting a "B" here and there, if that is what I deserve. For me, it would feel like a violation of my honor to ask someone to give me something out of pity.

I read the first post you made on the forum back in September. Now I realize that your circumstances are different. You aren't a 4.0 student who is whining because you might get a "B". Instead, you seem to be dedicated to turning your GPA around and, obviously, are still struggling to learn a few lessons along the way. In your case, I'd actually recommend leaving that type of honor and pride at home, and going ahead and asking the professor if your grade is close enough to round to an "A". It's not asking her to give you anything - just encouraging her to look closely at your record and consider the possibility. Hopefully, your time management will continue to improve so that next semester you don't short shrift one class in order to focus on another.

Do let us know what you wind up doing, and what the results are.

man you guys need to chill out geez......OP you should go ahead and schedule a meeting with your professor to talk about your grade...tell her that you worked really hard this semester and really enjoyed the class and you were wondering if there was any thing you can do to get that A especially since you did so well on all the other assignments....dont go in there demanding an A but just ask nicely if there is anything else you can do..and just be honest with her tell yher the only thing you missed was that one homework because you were really stressed out and had a huge exam but that you've completed every other assignment really well....and yeah it would be really impresive if you had a convo with her in FRENCH...

Personally, and I am not joking, I would scream a little. Also i would mention that you would be willing to go to the dean on this issue. Say that you were at an Ochem final, and that Premeds are under enough stress blah blah blah. Language teachers are usually very nice and understanding, but you should be firm. Its hard for a humanities teacher to really understand the pressure you are under to get A's, and its ridiculous for you to get anything less because of some technicality.

Personally, and I am not joking, I would scream a little. Also i would mention that you would be willing to go to the dean on this issue. Say that you were at an Ochem final, and that Premeds are under enough stress blah blah blah. Language teachers are usually very nice and understanding, but you should be firm. Its hard for a humanities teacher to really understand the pressure you are under to get A's, and its ridiculous for you to get anything less because of some technicality.

I'd like to see you go to the dean. I can picture the argument: "I skipped class and thus didn't turn in the homework, and I didn't score high enough on the final, but darnit I'm a pre-med and deserve an A!"

I don't consider skipping class and thus missing an assignment a technicality. And neither will any sensible professor.

Like I said, entitlement at it's best (or worse, I suppose). I don't think being a quote-unquote pre-med gives anybody the right to say that they're under so much pressure, yadda yadda. Most people want to do well in school if they have goals ahead-medical school, law school, getting a good job.

I hate the idea that people consider grades to be a point of negotiation. You take a test, you get X right, and that's your grade. Unless there's an egregious mistake on the point of the professor, then let it alone. Otherwise you run the risk of being seen as a grade-grubber and pissing off your professors. They talk, you know: if you tick one off by demanding a higher grade when you haven't earned it, don't doubt for one second the prof will complain about it to his/her colleagues. I knew a kid in college who got quite the rep for continually challenging his grades on test. I imagine getting good LORs was difficult for him.

Why do you think you should get an advantage that other students don't get? How do you feel if other students beg their way to higher grades than they deserve? Do you think this strategy is going to work in med school?

I'd like to see you go to the dean. I can picture the argument: "I skipped class and thus didn't turn in the homework, and I didn't score high enough on the final, but darnit I'm a pre-med and deserve an A!"

I don't consider skipping class and thus missing an assignment a technicality. And neither will any sensible professor.

Like I said, entitlement at it's best (or worse, I suppose). I don't think being a quote-unquote pre-med gives anybody the right to say that they're under so much pressure, yadda yadda. Most people want to do well in school if they have goals ahead-medical school, law school, getting a good job.

I hate the idea that people consider grades to be a point of negotiation. You take a test, you get X right, and that's your grade. Unless there's an egregious mistake on the point of the professor, then let it alone. Otherwise you run the risk of being seen as a grade-grubber and pissing off your professors. They talk, you know: if you tick one off by demanding a higher grade when you haven't earned it, don't doubt for one second the prof will complain about it to his/her colleagues. I knew a kid in college who got quite the rep for continually challenging his grades on test. I imagine getting good LORs was difficult for him.

Agree 100%. Theoretically, you should manage your time well enough to not have to skip classes before an organic midterm, and if you choose to skip the class, you've got to be willing to pay the consequences.

And this attitude that you can skip required classes and talk your way out of it might burn you in medical school. I have a friend who is repeating the year because he didn't pass a class, and he didn't pass the class because he lost points for missing required sessions.

I'm laughing at the idea of demanding a higher grade because you're a premed. Really not a way to win favor with other professors.

What the hell? This thread is full of ridiculous people (or at least posts - maybe they're completely joking and I'm missing it). Despite a few asses, most professors are pretty cool. Explain the situation and why you think you deserve it in a pseudo laid-back manner and see where it goes from there. If not, I'm always a fan of the half-joke about the situation just to remind them you were sooo close and were only sick a day that cost you. You're not making it into a big deal, but still making them aware of the situation at hand. When in dire straights: beg.

Why do you think you should get an advantage that other students don't get? How do you feel if other students beg their way to higher grades than they deserve? Do you think this strategy is going to work in med school?

WTF? If the OP wanted to ask its mother, he wouldn't have posted on this board. I'm guessing he/she didn't want a moral guilt-trip - just trying to make it like the next guy. Not sure he asked for a series of ethical self-assesment questions... just what the hell he should do.

Some of you people need to take the sticks out from your asses.

Fight, Fight, Fight and get that A!!

OK - I just about spit my drink all over my monitor as soon as I read this - it gave me the most disturbing mental image of a bunch of drunken pre-meds in scrub tops and cheerleader skirts cheering this guy on....

I probably shouldn't read these forums till AFTER I've had enough coffee to wake up.

Heh. Here at my undergrad, in some of the premed classes, the professors state that if you turn in your test for a regrade there are certain rules. They are: the professor personally will regrade your test, and they regrade ALL of it, so if they decide that you were actually given more credit on a question than they thought you deserve (i.e. your TA was kind of lenient) then they'll dock points off (which is fairly likely seeing how many of our professors are pretty anal). And the regrade is FINAL. No arguments after that. So if you're just fighting for one or two points, you might end up getting those, and losing 5 others, and there wouldn't be anything you could do about it.

Needless to say, only people who REALLY feel like there was a big mistake in the grading of the exam go in for regrades.

Haha, I ended up with a B+ in physics because I almost never went to class, and found out at the end that about 2 weeks into class, the prof had started to take attendance, and there was actually a grade for showing up, turning my A into a B+. Whoops, my bad. It was a little annoying since the grading syllabus didn't mention anything about it, and I was acing my exams, but serves me right for skipping I guess.