Yo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On April 15th, if you have more than three acceptances, you must narrow the list down to three acceptances (meaning you withdraw from all other acceptances). You can PTE only one school starting February 19th, but you can change which school you plan to enroll at, at any time leading up to April 30th. On April 30th, you have to PTE at the school you intend to matriculate at, and must withdraw all other acceptances. You can stay on WLs up until the CTE deadline of the school you plan on matriculating at. CTE deadlines vary by school.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow, this is a great explanation! Thank you :)

Is there some sort of section on the website where we will have to list these 3 (or fewer) schools, besides the PTE school itself? I'm wondering how the system will even know if we actually withdrew all other acceptances?

They don’t. It’s an honor system. The actual AAMC documentation is a recommendation, not a mandate. Basically, by withdrawing from the schools you know you won’t go to, you’re helping out people on WLs at those schools. You don’t have to give up your WL spots, but you should withdraw acceptances you don’t plan on taking.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is true, but AAMC isn't going to punish you for holding onto acceptances. Not saying it's a good idea.
AAMC certainly isn't going to do anything, but why do you think a school that you PTEd at wouldn't rescind its acceptance if you hold another acceptance after 4/30, in violation of its policy (you are correct that AAMC protocols are merely a recommendation, at least until they are adopted by a particular school, at which point they become a requirement of that school!), and it runs the report and discovers that fact? In fact, wouldn't there be a risk if you PTE at more than one school after 4/30 that they each see the other As and they all rescind your acceptances?

Holding WL spots before the CTE deadline is one thing (and perfectly acceptable), but holding multiple As after 4/30 is another altogether (not allowing schools to plan matriculation, holding up WL movement for other candidates, etc.). Why do you think there wouldn't be a consequence?

Last edited:
Do schools really rescind for these types of things? It seems like a massive price (think of all the pain, sweat, and tears!) for something so minor
Because it's not so minor to them! It's interfering with their ability to pull from WLs and firm up their classes at the end of their cycle. I think (if they actually do rescind, and there were reports of it happening last year) they assume if you're screwing around that you're probably not coming, so they're acting accordingly and moving on.

Assuming it’s a misunderstanding on behalf of the candidate, then I don’t think crushing their dreams that they worked half a decade for in an instant is particularly ethical
Very true, and I think most schools sent an email confirming intentions last year before actually rescinding an A, but some just sent an email telling candidates that their acceptance was rescinded. Lots of confusion last year, it being the first year and all, but I think the operating assumption is that if you're smart enough to be admitted to medical school that you're smart enough to understand and follow instructions regarding securing your place in the class.

In fact, the schools' fear is that it's the candidates acting unethically by trying to game the system by holding multiple As under a mistaken assumption that it's an honor system and the schools can't see what candidates are doing. @gonnif was one of the adcoms sounding the alarm last year and warning of potential severe consequences, and he is certainly more than capable of speaking for himself, but I'm pretty sure his message would be not to jeopardize having a dream that you worked half a decade to achieve crushed by misunderstanding what your obligations are with respect to communicating your intentions to the schools at which you hold an A on and after 4/30 (assuming you convert any WLs to As after that date).

Last edited:
AAMC certainly isn't going to do anything, but why do you think a school that you PTEd at wouldn't rescind its acceptance if you hold another acceptance after 4/30, in violation of its policy (you are correct that AAMC protocols are merely a recommendation, at least until they are adopted by a particular school, at which point they become a requirement of that school!), and it runs the report and discovers that fact? In fact, wouldn't there be a risk if you PTE at more than one school after 4/30 that they each see the other As and they all rescind your acceptances?

Holding WL spots before the CTE deadline is one thing (and perfectly acceptable), but holding multiple As after 4/30 is another altogether (not allowing schools to plan matriculation, holding up WL movement for other candidates, etc.). Why do you think there wouldn't be a consequence?

They didn’t last year. Plenty of people held onto acceptances past the deadline. Like I said, there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn’t. But not everyone will listen.

Reactions: 1 user
I can also easily imagine a scenario in which a school from which a student withdraws prior to CTE doesn't actually formally withdraw the student fast enough, and therefore may still show up post-CTE. Rescinding an A from a student due to imperfections in the system seems entirely unreasonable, especially given the enormous time and money accepted students spent on getting that A. otherwise, I feel like this is a breeding ground for lawsuits?
Not really. By the CTE deadline, you would only be holding the one A, and the withdrawals would be from WLs. Assuming a school drops the ball and your CTE school rescinds your A, I'm sure you'd have an opportunity to demonstrate that you withdrew from the WLs in time way before it got to the point of getting a lawyer involved.

You are right -- rescinding an A due to imperfections in the system would be insane. There were no reports last year that that happened, and I don't believe any school would do so assuming the candidate did everything right on his/her end.

Last edited:
I can also easily imagine a scenario in which a school from which a student withdraws prior to CTE doesn't actually formally withdraw the student fast enough, and therefore may still show up post-CTE. Rescinding an A from a student due to imperfections in the system seems entirely unreasonable, especially given the enormous time and money accepted students spent on getting that A. otherwise, I feel like this is a breeding ground for lawsuits?

That’s unlikely to happen. At our school, the dean just calls and asks. But that can be mitigated by just not waiting until the very last minute.

Thanks you guys for the insight!

So moral of the story is that BEFORE you CTE, withdraw ALL other acceptances (which I believe in theory you should only have 2 other acceptances by the time you CTE based on the 3 acceptance rule that starts on April 15), waitlists, post-ii pre-decision applications, and pre-ii applications... at least I think this is how it works haha
No -- you are confusing PTE and CTE. PTE deadline is 4/30. At that point you have to reduce from 3 to 1 (and the 3 limit prior to 4/30 is unenforceable, since schools are flying blind prior to 4/30 with respect to your other As). PTE lets you stay on other WLs.

CTE is the FINAL commitment deadline. It is different for every school, but it is never before 4/30, so, at that point, you WILL only hold the A at the school you are CTEing (unless you very recently received another A from a WL). Before you CTE, you will be withdrawing from other WLs (you can do it at the same time). Again, your CTE school isn't going to rescind your A because another school takes an extra day or two to reflect your WL withdrawal on the system.

With respect to applications where you never heard anything -- yeah, in May there is probably no reason to leave dangling applications out there if you have an acceptance (since at that point they really are silent Rs), but nobody really cares about them, and you can leave them alone just like WLs until the CTE deadline! :) What schools see when they run the post-4/30 reports are As and WLs (without identifying the schools). They don't see unresolved applications.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
“PTE deadline is 4/30. At that point you have to reduce from 3 to 1”

So do we have to withdraw those 2 other As before we PTE?

Also thanks for the clarification. Idk why this stuff is so confusing to me...

You can PTE at any time starting Feb 19. You just need to make sure you withdraw all other As before April 30.

• Wow
“PTE deadline is 4/30. At that point you have to reduce from 3 to 1”

So do we have to withdraw those 2 other As before we PTE?

Also thanks for the clarification. Idk why this stuff is so confusing to me...
Yeah, no problem!! Yes, on 4/30 you have to reduce to one school you "Plan to Enroll" at (PTE). This is to allow schools to have an idea who is coming and who isn't so they can pull from their WLs to fill open seats while some of the most attractive candidates are still available (as well as to give the WLs candidates receiving As as much time as possible to make plans). You can withdraw other As on or before 4/30 (as before, you're not going to lose your A on 5/1 because another school didn't do an update).

PTE is not a commitment, since you can still receive other As from the WLs you are still on. CTE is "Commit to Enroll." At that point, you are committed and your cycle is over. There were reports last year from people maybe breaking commitments, but who knows if that's true, and it will be harder this year as schools become more comfortable with the system and more schools make following the protocols mandatory.

A big point of confusion last year was whether AAMC enforces the rules -- they don't. It's up to each school to either enforce or not. As @Matthew9Thirtyfive pointed out above, lots of people didn't follow the rules last year without consequence amid the confusion and some schools' reluctance to enforce or confusion on how to enforce. The issue is that it's a huge chance to take, and you won't know whether or not your school is going to enforce until it's too late!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
actually in the first year this CYMS was put in place, I was contacted by 2 students lose acceptances due to not meeting deadline and/or holding WL after CTE. Some schools seem to use a completely automated system that produces the report and is acted on perhaps automatically. One student had demonstrably technical issues beyond his control, the other was still holding WL. In both cases it had gone to lawyers and in both case legal counsel for med schools did not budge, and legally they were correct. The responsibility for following the PTE/CTE rules rests wholly on the student. If they risk waiting for the last minute, and issues come up, the risk falls wholly on them.

As I advise all acceptees, do wait until deadline day to take action
Woah -- I stand corrected. That is insanely harsh!! Why on earth would a school that wanted an applicant before 4/30 take such an uncompromising position after a student demonstrated good faith and an issue beyond his control, merely because he exercised his right to wait until the last minute???

Woah -- I stand corrected. That is insanely harsh!! Why on earth would a school that wanted an applicant before 4/30 take such an uncompromising position after a student demonstrated good faith and an issue beyond his control, merely because he exercised his right to wait until the last minute???

Yeah this seems unbelievable. Is there any evidence that this actually occurred? I feel like this would have been addressed in some article somewhere on the internet

Yeah this seems unbelievable. Is there any evidence that this actually occurred? I feel like this would have been addressed in some article somewhere on the internet
Evidence? I honestly don't think @gonnif would come here and lie to us. Also, I'm not sure how newsworthy it would be that some large organization aggressively enforced a contractual provision against an individual, so where exactly should it have been reported? From what @gonnif said, it doesn't even sound like the candidates sued!

Maybe the applicants who contacted him were trolling?

Anyway, which deadline did that applicant miss?
He said the deadline was the CTE. I'll let him answer, but it sounds like the contact he is talking about was in real life, not here, so the odds of a troll are around zero!

So, if my only A has a CTE date of 4/30, I have to withdraw from my WLs? Even though WL movement doesn't typically begin until 5/01? I'm sitting on a lot of WLs at schools I'd much rather prefer, it would suck if I don't even get a chance of getting off of them...

So, if my only A has a CTE date of 4/30, I have to withdraw from my WLs? Even though WL movement doesn't typically begin until 5/01? I'm sitting on a lot of WLs at schools I'd much rather prefer, it would suck if I don't even get a chance of getting off of them...

I think 4/30 is the earliest date you can CTE at your school. I reckon that your accepted school has a CTE deadline at a later date. This means you can hold your WL after 4/30

I think 4/30 is the earliest date you can CTE at your school. I reckon that your accepted school has a CTE deadline at a later date. This means you can hold your WL after 4/30

The schools deadline is 4/30, I've checked online and in-person :(

It's unfortunate that some schools do that, but your options are to bite the bullet and be grateful you're going somewhere, bank on a waitlist acceptance, or contact whatever your higher choice is on the WL and ask if they can make a decision earlier/ask your A to give you an extension. It happens sometimes, but you won't know if you don't ask.

Yup! That school is screwing you, since the only reason to make it that early is to force you to make the early commitment. AAMC recommends 3 weeks before matriculation, but as noted above, schools are free to do what they want.

The advice @Matthew9Thirtyfive is giving you is spot on. If the WL schools are that much better, beg them to give you an honest evaluation of your chances (assuming they can't actually take you before they see their own 4/30 action) and/or ask the A school for an extension (I think success here would be unlikely since what you want to do is exactly what their deadline is designed to prevent).

I would LOVE for you to be in a position to withdraw from your A school, since the only way they will change is if they lose a lot of attractive candidates like you over their obnoxiously early CTE deadline. Good luck!!!!!!

Last edited:
It was their lawyers who contacted me so I sincerely doubt they were trolling

In case one, the acceptee who did not CTE on time, it occurred during a weekend, and was having issues with logging onto AMCAS for CYMS. The acceptee had already be given an extension for CTE. The deadline was on Saturday, on Sunday he received an email saying since no CTE ontime acceptance was withdrawn. While the student had evidence from their laptop about trying CTE (which they thought they did properly), neither AMCAS nor the school could find any evidence in their system. The acceptance was automatically withdrawn when the school's system ran its nightly CTE/PTE report. Neither the school, nor their GC would budge, partly because the acceptee had ask for extension for WL elsewhere, got it, had plenty of time to CTE waited to last minute. I believe the student ultimately got in off WL

In the second case, the acceptee did CTE on time, but did not remove from WL. When another school accepted the student, it showed on on the first school's report and he was dropped. While there was significant confusion that last cycle, the school had a clearly stated policy that acceptees must withdraw WL by the time CTE is done. The issue with that student was the first school had better FA package. Student did not succeed and proceeding further would have impacted start of class so went to second school

Over the years, I have been contacted on many occasions by students or their counsel for issues as either premed, applicants, acceptee, pre-matriculation, and as med students over issues as "expert." This is mostly due having experience in this area and not being faculty. Almost invariably, if I assist or even try to mediate, schools have published policy clearly stating the requirements and students (and their lawyers) had no idea about

An aside, every medical school's student handbook/rules/regulations includes a section for applicants and increasingly for acceptees/pre-matriculants, that lists all requirements, deadlines, and always a vague statement that reserve power of rescinding acceptance for failure to comply. With the threat of lawsuits concerning age, race, and a host of other things, the general counsel's office is loath to relax regulations as doing so in one area, could open up to lawsuits in other areas.

For example, if the school lets an acceptee pass the deadline but gives a seat, what if someone on the WL sues? what if the person accepted was say white male and WL person was AA-Female? what kind of motivation was the deadline allowed for this student? Lawyers for these schools and increasing large corporate healthcare systems do not want any negative issues, even if they would win in court. I have heard it referred to preventing SHF (SH**T Hitting Fan).

Ok I see. I think the fact that the student already received an extension is really important information. Asking for an extension is already somewhat risky, but waiting until the last minute of your extension is sort of dumb

Thought this timeline format of explaining might help. Assume an applicant with 4As and 1WL before Feb 19th:

ON Feb 19 - PTE at 1st choice. Do not need to withdraw other As or WLs.

Now assuming you want to CTE exactly on April 30....

BY April 29 - withdraw from your 3 other As and 1 WL. As alluded to earlier, since you plan on CTEing the next day, it’s a good idea to withdraw these apps a bit before April 29, so you can be 100% that you have 0A and 0WL by the time you click CTE

ON April 30 - now that you have only 1A, you can safely CTE at that school

Is this Gucci?
Sounds good, assuming CYMS updates in real time and you get system generated receipts evidencing your activity.

Also absolutely no obligation to PTE anywhere on 2/19. Any activity through CYMS prior to 4/30 is strictly voluntary on the candidate's part. Schools want an early look just to start to get a feel on what the class is going to look like, but you can freely change at any time before 4/30, so it's meaningless, whether or not you choose to participate.

Also, you might be pleasantly surprised. Everyone doesn't wait until the last minute to withdraw from As, and there is WL movement in March and April. In fact, I think you'll see a lot of WL movement prior to 4/30, with, of course, even more after it.

In reading through this thread I come away with the impression that we are in a strange new world for MD admissions. If anything, the MD schools at least are giving a candidate breathing room to think things over. But it seems that the days of being accepted to school A while desperately hoping to come off that wait list spot for the dream school B might be over.

In the DO world, you have maybe 2-3 three weeks to make a decision, and then you have to fork over a hefty chunk of change (like up to $1-2 grand) to keep the accept. It's kind of like insurance for you, but fundraising for the school (and sadly, these go into general funds for the University, NOT to the med school! :mad: ).

So what I see the MD schools doing is whether you like it or not, hooking candidates into an accept and filling a seat.

Then you're forced to hope that even though school B sees you on the wait list, they'll send you an accept, and then you can dump school A.

We may even be in territory where your first accept IS the school you go to!
Wise @gyngyn, @Med Ed, what say you?

In reading through this thread I come away with the impression that we are in a strange new world for MD admissions. If anything, the MD schools at least are giving a candidate breathing room to think things over. But it seems that the days of being accepted to school A while desperately hoping to come off that wait list spot for the dream school B might be over.

In the DO world, you have maybe 2-3 three weeks to make a decision, and then you have to fork over a hefty chunk of change (like up to $1-2 grand) to keep the accept. It's kind of like insurance for you, but fundraising for the school (and sadly, these go into general funds for the University, NOT to the med school! :mad: ).

So what I see the MD schools doing is whether you like it or not, hooking candidates into an accept and filling a seat.

Then you're forced to hope that even though school B sees you on the wait list, they'll send you an accept, and then you can dump school A.

We may even be in territory where your first accept IS the school you go to!
Wise @gyngyn, @Med Ed, what say you?
@Goro -- not so much, at least not yet. The situation with @unluckyadhessiveness' school is still an outlier. Most schools (and, dare I say, all ethical schools) still allow accepted candidates to hold their seats well into the Spring and early Summer before having to finalize a commitment, in order to allow them ample time to see what happens with WLs in order to make the best decision for themselves.

As far as I can tell, you must drop all WL by required CTE date. At each school, CTE date is typically 21 or 30 days prior to orientation on campus. Since this date varies by school, each CTE date varies by school. Therefore, it behooves acceptees to be absolutely clear on what this date is. The critical date and the one that you must use for your decision making is the school with the earliest CTE date, no matter how many WL you may be in, no matter how much you may prefer another school, no matter how much you hope. You take the acceptance you have, by the date you need by and move on
Yes!! I think @Goro was responding to the one poster who had a 4/30 CTE date, and speculating that MD was becoming like DO in pushing acceptees into early commitments.

With respect to the earliest CTE, I have given this a lot of thought, and the reality is that if you are fortunate to have more than one A, you can also ask the earliest CTE date for an extension (or else, withdraw), since it is already clearly not your first choice. If you only have one A, then the earliest CTE is the only CTE date, and nothing else matters!! :)

It would be great if nobody had CTE dates until AFTER WL movement had a chance to occur in early May (after the PTE deadline), but, apparently, some schools have no interest in that. It would also be great if there was a uniform CTE date (like PTE) later in the cycle (maybe mid-June?) to avoid confusion and allow people every opportunity to benefit from WL movement. After that, only people with no As would be able to be pulled from WLs, since everyone with an A would be committed somewhere and would no longer be on WLs! This is too simple and makes too much sense, so of course it will never happen!! :)

Thought this timeline format of explaining might help. Assume an applicant with 4As and 1WL before Feb 19th:

ON Feb 19 - PTE at 1st choice. Do not need to withdraw other As or WLs.

Now assuming you want to CTE exactly on April 30....

BY April 29 - withdraw from your 3 other As and 1 WL. As alluded to earlier, since you plan on CTEing the next day, it’s a good idea to withdraw these apps a bit before April 29, so you can be 100% that you have 0 other As and 0WL by the time you click CTE

ON April 30 - now that you have only 1A, you can safely CTE at that school

Is this Gucci?

Could I get some more input on whether this timeline is correct? :)

actually in the first year this CYMS was put in place, I was contacted by 2 students lose acceptances due to not meeting deadline and/or holding WL after CTE. Some schools seem to use a completely automated system that produces the report and is acted on perhaps automatically. One student had demonstrably technical issues beyond his control, the other was still holding WL. In both cases it had gone to lawyers and in both case legal counsel for med schools did not budge, and legally they were correct. The responsibility for following the PTE/CTE rules rests wholly on the student. If they risk waiting for the last minute, and issues come up, the risk falls wholly on them.

As I advise all acceptees, do wait until deadline day to take action

Dear guru @gonnif
Please edit the last line of this post to say "do NOT" wait until deadline day to take action.
I know this was what you meant :bow:

This process existed until last year when, due to Federal DOE direction, the AAMC had to abandon the system of centralized dates and reports as it could be considered collusion among independent schools
Yes, I know, and, to be honest, abandoning the MAR probably achieves that objective. To the extent schools are saying they believe a common CTE date would be a form of collusion, I would ask why a common date to open the application isn't collusion, why a common date to begin issuing acceptances isn't collusion, and why a common PTE deadline isn't collusion, but, for some reason, a common CTE date would be?

At the end of the day, there is pretty tight coordination among the schools throughout the process, right up through using a common CYMS tool that allows them to enforce their rules by gathering and disseminating data on whether their As and WLs have selected PTE or CTE at other schools (while masking the identity of the other schools).

For whatever reason, they apparently draw the line at coordinating CTE deadlines, resulting in a person's ability to remain on a WL to be determined not by desire to attend a particular school, nor by relative position on a given WL, but, rather based on an arbitrary CTE deadline set by another school. Sounds great!

Last edited:
wait I'm still confused :(

April 15 - 30, we need to widdle down our acceptances to, at most, 3, and PTE at one of those A [the PTE could have been done anytime starting Feb 19)

If we CTE on April 30, we should be sure that we have withdrawn all our As and WLs before this date. this makes sense.

But, if we don't want to CTE until a couple of weeks into May, BUT are PTE'd at X SOM, do we need to have withdrawn our other As and WLs by April 30? E.g. say I PTE at X SOM on April 2nd and I have 3 other As and 1 WL. I don't plan on CTE'ing at X SOM until May 26th. Do I still need to withdraw all my other As and WLs BEFORE April 30?
Why are you making this more complicated than it is??? PTE by 4/30 means you only have the one A but can stay on WLs. CTE means you only have one A and can't be on WLs. Period. You can only have one A after 4/30. You can be on an unlimited number of WLs until you CTE, at which point you can't be on any WLs, whatever date that happens to be!!!

Why are you making this more complicated than it is??? PTE by 4/30 means you only have the one A but can stay on WLs. CTE means you only have one A and can't be on WLs. Period. You can only have one A after 4/30. You can be on an unlimited number of WLs until you CTE, at which point you can't be on any WLs, whatever date that happens to be!!!

I have a tendency to overcomplicate simple things :)

thank you :)

• Haha
I have a tendency to overcomplicate simple things :)

thank you :)
Just to make your head hurt a little more, while they WANT you to reduce to 3 by 4/15, it's just a suggestion and there is no enforcement mechanism, since they can only see other PTEs and CTEs, not As, and they can't see anything until after 4/30! So the bottom line is you don't NEED to do anything until 4/30.

question: Can I just not PTE to any school until closer till the deadline? that way nobody's feelings are hurt and once I have all the information I can use that designation.

question: Can I just not PTE to any school until closer till the deadline? that way nobody's feelings are hurt and once I have all the information I can use that designation.
Absolutely!! Only PTE early if you are serious and want to send a signal to a particular school. It's non-binding until 4/30 and can be changed at will until then, so there is also no harm in waiting. You don't risk hurting anyone's feelings, because other schools can't see them prior to 5/1.

Until 4/30 -- then it's mandatory or you risk losing ALL of your As!

It’s not mandatory, but you do risk losing your acceptances. I don’t know why people feel like they need to wait until the very last minute to do stuff like this. I get that it’s a tough decision. I went through it last year. But delaying the decision just adds risk.

It’s not mandatory, but you do risk losing your acceptances. I don’t know why people feel like they need to wait until the very last minute to do stuff like this. I get that it’s a tough decision. I went through it last year. But delaying the decision just adds risk.
Why do you say this? If a school requires it by 4/30, it's mandatory, and pretty much all schools do. Why (and how) would you risk losing an A if it wasn't required?

Why do you say this? If a school requires it by 4/30, it's mandatory, and pretty much all schools do. Why (and how) would you risk losing an A if it wasn't required?

It’s mandatory if the school requires it, yes. Different schools have different requirements. My point is that you should follow the schools’ requirements, but waiting until you’re close to deadlines doesn’t really make sense unless you don’t get in until then. If you have a couple acceptances, it doesn’t hurt you to make a PTE decision and give them up save one. You can keep any waitlists you have, you don’t risk missing deadlines, and you can always switch if you get into a school you like better.

• Love
It’s mandatory if the school requires it, yes. Different schools have different requirements. My point is that you should follow the schools’ requirements, but waiting until you’re close to deadlines doesn’t really make sense unless you don’t get in until then. If you have a couple acceptances, it doesn’t hurt you to make a PTE decision and give them up save one. You can keep any waitlists you have, you don’t risk missing deadlines, and you can always switch if you get into a school you like better.

this is killing me... what does "breathes in boi" mean?

• Haha