York or Mcmaster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notic2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a high school student in Ontario, Canada in Grade 12. This is my final year :)

My average was 85% and I got accepted to York Kinesiology and Health Sciences, as well as to the Mcmaster Kinesiology Programme.

My question is as follows...

Is Kinesiology a more rigorous undergrad programme compared to lets say, Biology, or Chemistry?? Does my chances of getting into medical school drastically decrease???

And Also, in Ontario, does the University really matter? Here's the dilemma. If I go to York, and I don't get accepted into medical school, I am basically left with a crummy degree. If i go to Mcmaster however, I can get a good job simply because Mcmaster is renowed for its Health Programmes.

If Anyone can give me advice, or insights it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

notic2 said:
Here's the dilemma. If I go to York, and I don't get accepted into medical school, I am basically left with a crummy degree. If i go to Mcmaster however, I can get a good job simply because Mcmaster is renowed for its Health Programmes.

Thanks

Regards,

So, whats the downside of going to McMaster? You've described the downside of going to York.

The Downside of Going to Mcmaster is obviously $$$$$$

Members don't see this ad :)
"Crummy degree" is quite the generalization. If you are talented at what you do you will get a job. If not you won't, or, you will have more trouble. It makes practically no difference where you get your degree from.

notic2 said:
Hi
I am a high school student in Ontario, Canada in Grade 12. This is my final year :)

My average was 85% and I got accepted to York Kinesiology and Health Sciences, as well as to the Mcmaster Kinesiology Programme.

My question is as follows...

Is Kinesiology a more rigorous undergrad programme compared to lets say, Biology, or Chemistry?? Does my chances of getting into medical school drastically decrease???

And Also, in Ontario, does the University really matter? Here's the dilemma. If I go to York, and I don't get accepted into medical school, I am basically left with a crummy degree. If i go to Mcmaster however, I can get a good job simply because Mcmaster is renowed for its Health Programmes.

Thanks

Regards,

Major in what you're interested in. Med school admissions are a game that involve so much more than the "rigor" of an undergrad degree. Some people major in cakewalk fields like Sociology or Philosophy and get into med school no problem. Just pick a school and major where you'd be most comfortable and can do well. You need good grades above all else in Ontario to get into med school. I can tell you first hand that York and Mac both send plenty of students to med school every year, so don't worry about reputation.

Listen homes, Mac's kin program is not so well-respected that you should def pick it over York. If you're serious about med school I would go to the least competitive school possible to maximize your marks. If I could do it over I would have gone to Nipissing or something and aced all my classes.

coastal said:
"Crummy degree" is quite the generalization. If you are talented at what you do you will get a job. If not you won't, or, you will have more trouble. It makes practically no difference where you get your degree from.

Ummm......I dont necessarily agree with this.......as a UofT grad, I thought going to UofT was totally useless cause my grades have been horrible...but as I graduated, the flurry of opportunities appeared. Unfortunately, much of the world is based on connections and who you know. Going to a prestigous university like UofT will put you in touch with professors who are the top in their field. Personally, I have had some very top-notch profs, which have helped me through their connections, get internship opportunities, bursaries, research skills, which ultimately paved my way to grad school. Through my UofT connections, I have been able to gain an internship working in Costa Rica all summer working with health policy.....I was told by the guy who made the decision that only two students were chosen from numerous applicants from prestigous Ivy Leagues US universities and both were from UofT, because the company in Costa Rica has very high praise for UofT....Just think about it...Imagine if you are in political science and your instructor is Preston Manning (who teaches at UofT).....think about the connections that guy has and what a LOR from him would mean!! The real world can be quite superficial sometimes, but this shouldnt be a suprise to anybody.

I guess for med school, it doesnt matter, and you're GPA is the only importance like many people have said, but you must understand that you most likely will not get into med school and must think of alternatives, and like you said, getting a degree from York could be considered a "crummy" degree. Of course, this all depends on the field you are in. If you are into Law, Business or Social work, York is #1. However, I believe that all across the disciplines, Uoft is strong in every one.

Also, if you applying for anything in the US, the name of your degree is a big thing. Getting an Ivy League degree in the US sets you up for life, no questions asked. UofT's reputation is worldwide....I did an exchange in England, and at my university, both my physics and biochem prof told me that they were "honoured" to have a student from UofT in their class.....at my US grad school interviews, and my 2nd year English prof (who was American) have all stated that UofT is considered the "Harvard of the north" and as close to the Ivy League as Canada has. By the way, they were also saying that this praise applies to McGill as well.

So, its really a tough decision....going to UofT WILL hinder your chances at med school, but your chances have already been hindered due to the sole fact that you are Canadian...good thing about UofT is that it really gives you a solid foundation to land on if the med school thing doesnt work out, and if you go talk to any upper year science student at any university, you'll see that this is usually the case....Thats my 2 cents from my experience.....take it for what its worth. :thumbup:

also

York is a commuting school and Mcmaster isn't.

Mcmaster = good reputation
York = ok....i guess