You are ill and in Chicago...which hospital would you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you are ill, in Chicago, and need the best overall IM department to take care of you. You have some sort of general IM pathology that almost any IM department could handle, but you want the best. You have a choice of any hospital in Chicago. Where would you go?

I would probably hit UofC or Northwestern. I am not an IM resident/applicant so I am not really sure of the differences.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As an aside, most of the affluent people and the celebrities in this town go to NMH for their health care. Just recently, Mayor Daley and his wife were there for a bad case of the gastroenteritis.

I think alot of it has to do where people live. The people from the north side of chicago end up at Northwestern. The people from the South side end up at U of C.

As Pinky said location is probably key. General IM pathology would be well taken care of by any of the teaching hospitals in town. Weird ID stuff and County would be my choice.

Overall though if geography and funds were no restriction then NMH it has to be. One sight of the hospital would justify the choice. The patient rooms are peerless in the city and probably in the country. Ancillary support is reputed to be excellent.

do you want a nice room or a good doctor? i am not sure i understand your question.